|
||||
Feb 9 2009, 05:52 PM
Post
#1
|
|
|
Nothing says 'I love you.' like a box of Hydroshoks ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Moderators Posts: 5,284 Joined: 23-December 03 From: Granbury, TX Member No.: 4 |
Just curious how many have scaled back, scaled back considerably or outright had to park your car because of the economy?
And along with that, how many have done any of the above, not based on actual events, but fear of something happening that would make curtailing your "fix" inevitable? For me, my regional race schedule hasn't changed, but the TnT days and out of region events have been scratched. And not because of being laid off or anything, just burying my coffee cans in the backyard in case I do. If I didn't have a great group of sponsors and wasn't able to trade instructing for registration, then the story would probably be differnet. |
|
|
|
![]() |
Feb 20 2009, 12:13 PM
Post
#2
|
|
|
Advanced Member ![]() ![]() Group: Advanced Members Posts: 471 Joined: 13-December 05 From: North Olmsted, OH Member No.: 1,010 |
Let me see, In 2007 seeing that things where not looking good for the future, my wife and I decided to start to tighten our budget. A college course that I was teaching and have been teaching for the last 12 years is canceled due to low enrollment. So our income was starting to shrink.We didn't have much debt other than medical bills due to my wife's ongoing medical condition. So after getting rid cable tv and any other luxuries, I decided to sell the CP firebird. In February it was sold and in March it was on it way to it new home in NY. We bough a used car cash, payed a few bills and bought a few parts to prepare my wife's stock Z28 to compete in ESP so I can keep my racing going on albeit in a very limited fashion. At this point Racing was limited to 1 Auto-X a month and no Track days for this year. My department at work goes through a re-organization and the new Boss kicked out 12 or so people after reassuring everyone that there would be no layoffs. So in May I was out of work. House goes on the Market for a Short Sale as we can no longer afford the payments since our priority had to be to keep our medical coverage to the tune of over $600 a month. Beat's paying for $6,000 treatments every 3 weeks out of pocket without it. Get a new part time teaching work at a different college teaching 2 classes and try to work as much freelance as I can get under the table. On January still no Job and now due to a screw up unemployment stops. February we move to my mother in law's house. Still the house sale is cough in Paper Limbo at the mortgage company in spite that we have a cash buyer ready but since we could no longer afford the utility bills on $100 a month we moved. Good new is that we got a grant that will pay for the medical insurance premium. Bad new is that we are still living on about $100 a week. Soon as much as I hate to do this Race Rims & Tires and anything that we can sell will be sold. With Luck will be able to keep the car but who knows.
I've been building my freelancing company during all this time but that is a slow process that with luck will start paying off soon. I've also been applying to jobs all over the place for full time positions, including out of state (Canada, New Zealand and Australia) to no avail. I may decide to go back to school and try to finish my degree but don't know for sure yet as this would help me if I want to continue in as an educator and not as a Graphic Designer /Animator/ Multimedia Specialist (portfolio rules over degree in those areas). So it looks like there will not ba any racing in my future for a couple years. The funny thing is that I really don't know how we have managed the last few months apart from God's grace and provision. I mean every time we have been really up against the wall somehow we have gotten an unexpected freelance project or a gift from a friend. So I'm filled with Hope! not because of the president on the white house but because of he who presides over my life, Jesus. This post has been edited by killer_bluebird: Feb 20 2009, 12:16 PM |
|
|
|
Feb 20 2009, 05:38 PM
Post
#3
|
|
|
Senior Member ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Advanced Members Posts: 5,226 Joined: 24-December 03 From: Danville, CA, USA Member No.: 27 |
Let me see, In 2007 seeing that things where not looking good for the future, my wife and I decided to start to tighten our budget. A college course that I was teaching and have been teaching for the last 12 years is canceled due to low enrollment. So our income was starting to shrink.We didn't have much debt other than medical bills due to my wife's ongoing medical condition. So after getting rid cable tv and any other luxuries, I decided to sell the CP firebird. In February it was sold and in March it was on it way to it new home in NY. We bough a used car cash, payed a few bills and bought a few parts to prepare my wife's stock Z28 to compete in ESP so I can keep my racing going on albeit in a very limited fashion. At this point Racing was limited to 1 Auto-X a month and no Track days for this year. My department at work goes through a re-organization and the new Boss kicked out 12 or so people after reassuring everyone that there would be no layoffs. So in May I was out of work. House goes on the Market for a Short Sale as we can no longer afford the payments since our priority had to be to keep our medical coverage to the tune of over $600 a month. Beat's paying for $6,000 treatments every 3 weeks out of pocket without it. Get a new part time teaching work at a different college teaching 2 classes and try to work as much freelance as I can get under the table. On January still no Job and now due to a screw up unemployment stops. February we move to my mother in law's house. Still the house sale is cough in Paper Limbo at the mortgage company in spite that we have a cash buyer ready but since we could no longer afford the utility bills on $100 a month we moved. Good new is that we got a grant that will pay for the medical insurance premium. Bad new is that we are still living on about $100 a week. Soon as much as I hate to do this Race Rims & Tires and anything that we can sell will be sold. With Luck will be able to keep the car but who knows. I've been building my freelancing company during all this time but that is a slow process that with luck will start paying off soon. I've also been applying to jobs all over the place for full time positions, including out of state (Canada, New Zealand and Australia) to no avail. I may decide to go back to school and try to finish my degree but don't know for sure yet as this would help me if I want to continue in as an educator and not as a Graphic Designer /Animator/ Multimedia Specialist (portfolio rules over degree in those areas). So it looks like there will not ba any racing in my future for a couple years. The funny thing is that I really don't know how we have managed the last few months apart from God's grace and provision. I mean every time we have been really up against the wall somehow we have gotten an unexpected freelance project or a gift from a friend. So I'm filled with Hope! not because of the president on the white house but because of he who presides over my life, Jesus. Here's wishing you and your family ALL THE BEST in the future! I was out of work for 5+ months last year so I know the pain/stress of it, but NOWHERE near your level. GOOD LUCK! |
|
|
|
mitchntx How has the economy affected your racing? Feb 9 2009, 05:52 PM
StanIROCZ QUOTE (mitchntx @ Feb 9 2009, 12:52 PM) I... Feb 9 2009, 06:01 PM
AllZWay QUOTE (StanIROCZ @ Feb 9 2009, 12:01 PM) ... Feb 9 2009, 09:58 PM
StanIROCZ QUOTE (AllZWay @ Feb 9 2009, 04:58 PM) QU... Feb 9 2009, 10:38 PM
trackbird I'm starting to consider (super seriously cons... Feb 9 2009, 06:52 PM
JustinID My job appears to be safe for now, but my wife... Feb 9 2009, 07:44 PM
codename Bil Doe Have the tax man reassess my property taxes . It... Feb 9 2009, 07:48 PM
CMC #37 I'm playing it event by event, which is ... Feb 9 2009, 08:00 PM
robz71lm7 My car pretty much just sits in the garage and get... Feb 9 2009, 08:12 PM
mitchntx QUOTE (robz71lm7 @ Feb 9 2009, 02:12 PM) ... Feb 9 2009, 09:21 PM
trackbird QUOTE (robz71lm7 @ Feb 9 2009, 03:12 PM) ... Feb 10 2009, 03:15 AM
jensend As of the arrival of our new property tax bill and... Feb 9 2009, 09:30 PM
Beach Cruiser I feel pretty secure with my job as well, I work f... Feb 9 2009, 10:22 PM
Teutonic Speedracer Between wedding, house, etc., I've scaled back... Feb 9 2009, 11:19 PM
T.O.Dillinder I wasn't going to wheel to wheel this year due... Feb 10 2009, 12:30 AM
cccbock QUOTE (mitchntx @ Feb 9 2009, 12:52 PM) J... Feb 10 2009, 02:07 AM
rmackintosh This will be a cautious year......I "plan... Feb 10 2009, 03:06 AM
nape I've been pretty lucky to keep working lately.... Feb 10 2009, 03:35 AM
GaryK I haven't roadraced since '06. I've b... Feb 10 2009, 04:33 AM
rhit_rs Being in college right now seems to be a good thin... Feb 10 2009, 04:50 AM
z28jeff My wife and I both have recession-proof jobs. I do... Feb 10 2009, 12:19 PM
pknowles My racing season is being cut back because with th... Feb 10 2009, 02:45 PM
sgarnett QUOTE (pknowles @ Feb 10 2009, 09:45 AM) ... Feb 18 2009, 10:46 PM
Alien Like Mitch, I'm planning on making all of this... Feb 10 2009, 07:26 PM
koserv Glad to hear most all are still working and planni... Feb 18 2009, 08:45 PM
00 SS Sounds like you had a personal financial perfect s... Feb 20 2009, 12:30 AM
rmackintosh QUOTE (00 SS @ Feb 19 2009, 07:30 PM) I c... Feb 20 2009, 01:03 AM
sgarnett QUOTE (rmackintosh @ Feb 19 2009, 08:03 P... Feb 20 2009, 03:03 AM
35th_Anniversary_AS_Camaro_SS I'm not exactly in the safest occupation anymo... Feb 20 2009, 04:16 AM
gopanoz I work for Jared Jewelry. My income in 2008 was a... Feb 20 2009, 04:45 AM
2manyfbods well guys, wish me luck. The third round of lay ... May 5 2009, 03:36 AM
nape Good luck. May the axe let you pass unscathed.
I ... May 5 2009, 04:34 AM
2manyfbods I made it through another day but, they still have... May 6 2009, 02:41 AM
Rob Hood We've gone through several rounds of layoffs a... May 6 2009, 04:42 AM
Beach Cruiser Well Corporate cutbacks hit my family too. I thou... May 6 2009, 01:43 PM
sgarnett Larry, I'm in the same boat - more layoffs ann... May 6 2009, 01:55 PM
2manyfbods QUOTE (sgarnett @ May 6 2009, 08:55 AM) L... May 14 2009, 12:30 AM
mitchntx QUOTE (2manyfbods @ May 13 2009, 07:30 PM... May 14 2009, 01:26 AM
2manyfbods QUOTE (2manyfbods @ May 13 2009, 07:30 PM... Jun 13 2009, 05:10 AM
00 SS The company I work for had it's first round of... May 6 2009, 04:29 PM
cccbock QUOTE (00 SS @ May 6 2009, 12:29 PM) The ... May 6 2009, 11:05 PM
roostmeyer I graduated in May and was laid off after being at... May 7 2009, 02:52 PM
Beach Cruiser QUOTE (rmackintosh @ Feb 19 2009, 09:03 P... May 7 2009, 03:38 PM
sgarnett When I married my second and present wife, we hone... May 14 2009, 01:17 AM
trackbird QUOTE (sgarnett @ May 13 2009, 09:17 PM) ... Jun 3 2009, 10:20 PM
robz71lm7 My strategy is diversifying my skills...well with ... May 14 2009, 02:18 AM
nape QUOTE (robz71lm7 @ May 13 2009, 09:18 PM)... May 14 2009, 03:55 AM
robz71lm7 QUOTE (nape @ May 13 2009, 11:55 PM) QUOT... May 14 2009, 04:36 AM
c4racer not the economy, but the decision to send my daugh... Jun 3 2009, 09:15 PM
sgarnett Wow! Sounds like you made a good call Jun 13 2009, 06:13 AM
rpoz-29 I work at DuPont's Spruance Plant just south o... Jun 13 2009, 12:44 PM
sgarnett And yet another round begins .... Aug 19 2009, 10:19 AM![]() ![]() |
| Lo-Fi Version | Time is now: 3rd October 2026 - 05:52 AM |