IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Solo PerformanceUnbalanced EngineeringHotpart.comBlaine Fabrication.comUMI Performance
> Anyone converted fbody to "drive by wire"
Crazy Canuck
post Sep 1 2020, 02:31 PM
Post #1

North of the border

Group: Admin
Member No.: 177

Was wondering what is involved and what is required.
I want something stand alone.
I no longer have ECU/PCM anyways... I have BigStuff3 in the car.

Thanks,
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Crazy Canuck
post Sep 2 2020, 12:12 PM
Post #2

North of the border

Member No.: 177

i wanna be able to adjust the linearity of the throttle and actual area of opening so it's less abrupt
From there, I also have some other ideas i'd like to test and tune..
I did find this interesting article, but then got confusing... maybe I was just tired (have to re-read it)
https://www.lsenginediy.com/gm-gen-iii-ls-p...quipment-guide/

I want something that doesn't interface with nothing else... just the pedal and maybe 2 inputs, and be able to adjust the maps for the throttle.
I'm also assuming that I'll end up w/ faster response than by cable.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Sep 5 2020, 01:53 AM
Post #3

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Member No.: 196

QUOTE (Eugenio_SS @ Sep 2 2020, 08:12 AM) *
I want something that doesn't interface with nothing else... just the pedal and maybe 2 inputs, and be able to adjust the maps for the throttle.
I'm also assuming that I'll end up w/ faster response than by cable.

Volkswagon used "throttle anticipation" on their turbo cars that would open the throttle far more than requested when the car was coming off idle. It was a trick they used to spool the turbo. So you'd blip the throttle and start to let the clutch out and the car may have commanded "full throttle" for 1/2 second to get the turbo to start to spool so you'll have some power as you get the clutch out. It made them interesting to drive. They also had the throttle body on the pressure side of the intake tract, so half throttle felt about like full throttle. The boost seemed to push through the throttle body without issues once it was open half way or so. The odd thing about those cars is that when you went from half throttle to full throttle...basically nothing happened. The cars felt really fast at part throttle (because it was basically full throttle) and going to full throttle did almost nothing.

So, you can certainly do some throttle mapping tricks. I'm guessing you'll want to get the throttle pedal out of a stock GM application that's compatible with the controller you're using. I'd think the OEM pedal will likely last a lot longer than an aftermarket solution since they are asked to go 200,000 miles or more and they have to work every time.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Eugenio_SS   Anyone converted fbody to "drive by wire"   Sep 1 2020, 02:31 PM
trackbird   I really prefer the feel of a cable throttle. It k...   Sep 2 2020, 01:17 AM
Eugenio_SS   i wanna be able to adjust the linearity of the thr...   Sep 2 2020, 12:12 PM
trackbird   QUOTE (Eugenio_SS @ Sep 2 2020, 08:12 AM)...   Sep 5 2020, 01:53 AM
Rentedmule   QUOTE (trackbird @ Sep 5 2020, 01:53 AM) ...   Sep 8 2020, 07:09 PM
Eugenio_SS   I don’t mind changing the whole pedals Been thin...   Sep 8 2020, 03:25 AM
Eugenio_SS   I think I might just say "fuck it" to th...   Sep 8 2020, 09:47 PM
79T/A   Does the big stuff 3 support drive by wire? Their ...   Sep 9 2020, 12:51 AM
Eugenio_SS   BigStuff3 doesn't seem to support drive by wir...   Sep 9 2020, 02:53 PM
landstuhltaylor   Why the fuck would you want to convert to DBW and ...   Sep 10 2020, 01:56 AM
trackbird   QUOTE (landstuhltaylor @ Sep 9 2020, 09:5...   Sep 10 2020, 03:16 PM
Eugenio_SS   I just wanted to make the response table ideal for...   Sep 10 2020, 03:59 PM
SuperMacGuy   +1 for throttle cables, unless you are **positive*...   Sep 10 2020, 04:03 PM
Shortcutsleeping   Remember, the late 4th gen V6 cars were DBW and ha...   Oct 29 2020, 02:28 AM

« Next Oldest · General Discussion · Next Newest »

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 07:27 AM