Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The new to me 2002 Z28 (convertible)
trackbird
post Dec 24 2018, 01:40 AM
Post #501

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

I started it and watched and the coolant is dripping off of the lower radiator hose. It looks like it might have a split in it, but I can't tell for sure (I let it idle until it dripped and then stuck my phone in there so I could see and took pics). I'm wondering if it's opening up under pressure and then pulling closed as it cools and allowing the radiator to pull fluid back in as it cools. It's an odd one and I'll have to get the hose off and give it a better look.

More to come.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Dec 24 2018, 03:23 PM
Post #502

Veteran Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 385

That, or it's just started and either not enough has leaked to make a visible difference yet, or the air that's replacing the coolant is occupying another spot in the system, making the fluid level look full.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Dec 25 2018, 12:08 AM
Post #503

FRRAX Owner/Admin

I bought a new lower hose today and some antifreeze. Now I just have to get out to the garage and tear it apart so I can see what we have going on.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Apr 4 2019, 11:17 PM
Post #504

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Finally getting time for an update.

I replaced the perfectly good hose with another brand new hose and replaced both (new) clamps with two new clamps. I started it and it seemed to be fine and not leaking. I burped it and drove it a few days later.

When I returned from the drive and let it cool, it had about 2" of air in the radiator. During my drive I ran it up to 6k rpm in two gears to help make sure there wasn't air trapped in the system. No worries...

I drove it again two days ago and I just went out and checked and it has about 2" of water missing out of the radiator (coolant, 50/50 mix, not just water). It sat in my driveway and didn't drip a drop while hot or running.

I don't know if it could be a pin hole in the coolant return line from the overflow? It doesn't appear to be leaking, but it seems to be low once it cools. That makes me think water isn't being returned from the overflow?

I'm running out of patience with cars these days. I just don't have the time I used to for this stuff. If it was worth anything, I'd consider just selling it. But I honestly don't know what I'd buy for another "fun car". So I'm back to looking for where the missing coolant is going.

+Quote Post
mikedamageinc
post Apr 5 2019, 11:06 AM
Post #505

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,551

So I just replaced my water pump recently and it was doing something different than I've seen with other bad pumps. Instead of the constant drip I'm used to when they go out, it would puke a good amount then nothing. When it started, I had it in the garage for unrelated work, backed it out and there was a puddle on the floor but I couldn't find a leak. Shrugged it off since I hadn't touched the cooling system, about a week later it puked another puddle. Then I started looking and saw the trail from the pump. I still drove it for like another week no problem, I think it puked a little once more but no constant drip at all. Anyways, just another possibility.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Apr 5 2019, 05:29 PM
Post #506

FRRAX Owner/Admin

When I went after this leak the last time I replaced the water pump with a new Holley Performance pump, fresh gaskets, new radiator from DeWitts radiators, fresh hoses (upper and lower) and the PS cooler has already been replaced to eliminate any possible leaks there.

Hence being puzzled.

+Quote Post
GCrites80s
post Apr 7 2019, 09:24 PM
Post #507

Advanced Member

Member No.: 223,855

QUOTE (trackbird @ Apr 4 2019, 07:17 PM) *
Finally getting time for an update.

I replaced the perfectly good hose with another brand new hose and replaced both (new) clamps with two new clamps. I started it and it seemed to be fine and not leaking. I burped it and drove it a few days later.

When I returned from the drive and let it cool, it had about 2" of air in the radiator. During my drive I ran it up to 6k rpm in two gears to help make sure there wasn't air trapped in the system. No worries...

I drove it again two days ago and I just went out and checked and it has about 2" of water missing out of the radiator (coolant, 50/50 mix, not just water). It sat in my driveway and didn't drip a drop while hot or running.

I don't know if it could be a pin hole in the coolant return line from the overflow? It doesn't appear to be leaking, but it seems to be low once it cools. That makes me think water isn't being returned from the overflow?

I'm running out of patience with cars these days. I just don't have the time I used to for this stuff. If it was worth anything, I'd consider just selling it. But I honestly don't know what I'd buy for another "fun car". So I'm back to looking for where the missing coolant is going.

Yeah as far as souping thing up goes I'm pretty much done. Yeah, I'll run it, tune it and perform maintenance, but as far as changing a bunch of parts I'm out for a while. Still 25 years from all that retirement free time.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Apr 7 2019, 11:40 PM
Post #508

FRRAX Owner/Admin

I swapped the radiator cap to a new cap and warmed the car up to operating temp in my driveway and shut it down. It wasn't dripping anything and when it cooled and I removed the cap the radiator was full. That's a good sign. I was going to go drive it and it started raining. So it's a good sign, but I'm not sure that fixed it yet.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Apr 12 2019, 02:16 AM
Post #509

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Drove it all over town tonight, made a couple pulls to redline to make sure there wasn't air in it. I just popped the radiator cap and the radiator is full. I think the old cap (which was a new factory GM cap) wasn't letting the coolant back in from the overflow. It wasn't dripping, but I believe it was pushing the coolant out and it wasn't able to get it back, it was getting air instead. So maybe that cap wasn't sealing well? I'm not exactly sure. But I believe it is fixed. Strange.

+Quote Post

26 Pages V  « < 24 25 26
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2019 - 09:14 AM