IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Hotpart.comUMI PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.comUnbalanced EngineeringSolo Performance

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GTO and real perf&handling, anyone know anything about the GTO
02midevil
post Oct 19 2004, 12:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 465

I was curious if anyone knows anything about how the new GTO is handling on a track or autocross?

Does it need big brakes and worse yet does it push as bad as a FBody?

Wondering how it sizes up to an Fbody, esp since it will come out with an LS2 later on.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
LT4Firehawk
post Oct 19 2004, 01:28 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5

All the reviews I've seen on it where fairly dissapointing on handling. Most said it handled good for it's weight, but that you can't disguise the fact that it weighs 4000lbs. Also, it was pointed out that the suspension is designed to deal with the really rough roads they have in Australia, so all the suspension components are pretty heavy, which can't help much either.

+Quote Post
post Oct 19 2004, 03:43 PM
Post #3

Benched Member

Member No.: 273

I've seen the car 3 times in a Drift enviroment on the tube. Guess its a good Drift car

Anyway latest Grassroots has a articale on the GTO drifting (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) . I guess Bob Bonderant has a drift school now and the LS1 GTO is the car they use.

I always liked the Holden supercars those thrings Rock the GTO could be one w/ what 40K :shrug:. I'll be keeping my eye on the GTO I may want one w/ more style if later years provide and not as a racer either (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) .

Scott R. of Grassrooot motorsport magazine says " For a 3700lb. car the GTO is nimble at the track, encouraging the driver to steer with the throttle almost as much as the wheel.The GTO would shine as a combination daily driver track car.
It is very forgiving at the limit,pulls hard in every gear, and corners w/o much roll despite it's mass;the ride is firm but not punishing in anyway.For almost an hour (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) straight we pushed the GTO on track,and it never flinched.

+Quote Post
axoid
post Oct 19 2004, 05:45 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 70

There's been a guy autocrossing a GTO here locally in FS. I can't speak about braking or push characteristics, but thing has loads of body roll. It could use better springs or sway bars for hard cornering. The GTO has been finishing too bad considering it's been on street tires and it's the drivers first year.

+Quote Post
robz71lm7
post Oct 19 2004, 06:25 PM
Post #5

Veteran Member

Member No.: 40

I think we'll have to wait and see til someone researches them and/or actually tries to seriously compete with one. I don't recall anyone ever calling a stock 4th gen with decarbons and 30/19 bars a handling machine. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

Slap some koni's on (if/when they are available) and appropriate sway bars and see what happens.

+Quote Post
Rob Hood
post Oct 20 2004, 04:52 AM
Post #6

Experienced Member

Member No.: 130

It could definitely use some stiffer springs. I got to drive my dad's Goat on some backroads (Marsh Springs road was lots of fun) near Clayton CA about a month ago, and while it really does absorb the bumps well (love that IRS), I think at least 150# increase in front spring would be a good starting point. The car kinda felt like a Weeble sometimes, and I really wasn't pushing it. (My dad might think otherwise... :drive: )

I'm trying to talk him into altering the alignment (so I can play some more next time...(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) )

+Quote Post
firehawkclone
post Oct 21 2004, 04:01 AM
Post #7

Grumpy

Member No.: 81

stu haynern is racing one in SPEED and the aussie's :drive: do it all the time.

+Quote Post
JKnight
post Oct 21 2004, 06:35 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 141

stu haynern is racing one in SPEED and the aussie's  do it all the time.

My wife just got a ride in Stu's car on the parade lap of Sunday's WC GT race. She almost got that lap in the Ford that Boris Said was driving (she wanted to ride with Boris, not get a ride in the Ford), but the guy that okayed it didn't know that he already had a passenger. When she thought she was getting the ride she walked up to him, stuck out her hand, and said, "Hi, I'm Christine." He shook her hand and replied, "Hi, I'm Boris." Later she tald me that when he said that she thought, Duh, of course you are. Funny.

Jason

+Quote Post
bobbylee
post Oct 23 2004, 02:34 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 396

You know, I really tried to hold my breath on this one, but...The "thing" is not a GTO nor will it ever be. I remember the real GTO. It had character. This "thing" is a poor attempt by GM to vindicate themselves after the trashing of the F-body over a dispute with the Canadian UAW. I see the first year sales reflect my viewpoint. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:24 AM