IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Blaine Fabrication.comUMI PerformanceHotpart.comSolo PerformanceUnbalanced Engineering
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New here..., O and some more third gens.
SSgt. Carroll
post Jul 4 2006, 01:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,267

Well I am new here and I am looking to run at summit point. Really I just want to know where to start.

The main car I am looking to run is a 91 Z28 heres the specs:

-195CC Aluminum heads 5 angle, polished, etc...
-Brand spanking new 350
-LT4 Hot Cam
-Alum. 1.6 Rockers
-3.42 Posi Auburn Rear
-Stock TPI intake
-Poly Bushings
-TDS Wonderbar

I am working on the following:

-8 Point Roll Cage
-Spohn Tubular K-Member and A-Arms
-1-5/16" front sway bars, and 1" Rear.......Would this be ok?
-Aluminum Driveshaft
-T56
-13" Corvette Front brakes
-Y2K C5 5 Spokes
-255 Fronts 275 Rear Undecided on tires..... Any recommedations?
-Wilwood 12.19" rear brakes.... anything out there better?

As for the rest of the suspension I am looking for more suggestions.

I also have a 98 Z51 thats holds the garage floor down and a 91 RS which is my daily driver.

As for summit point where do I start? Who do I contact? etc.

(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/gr_driving3.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
firehawkclone
post Jul 4 2006, 01:46 PM
Post #2

Grumpy

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 81

Welcome SSgt

I just had a flash back (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jul 4 2006, 01:49 PM
Post #3

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com/

I'd look into their "FATT" program (Friday At The Track). It's usually reasonably priced and it seems well run. I have family in that area and have to ask if you are from the WVANG? I grew up in Martinsburg until about 8 years ago.

A few things.

I'd probably run the stock rear brakes or maybe the LT1 or LS1 rear brakes (probably cheaper than the Wilwood stuff). Stock third gen rear disks may be enough with the right pads.

I'd also consider trying to get the same size wheels and tires on both ends of the car. I had 275/40-17's on my 1989 Formula on 17x9.5 wheels with 5.5 inches of backspacing and they fit like factory wheels. Just something to consider.

With that, I'm going to get some breakfast and I'm sure the third gen pilots will drop in here soon (PF Flyer runs at Summit Point with his 3rd gen, Julie used to race a 3rd gen CMC car, Axoid autocrosses one as do several others).

+Quote Post
CMC #37
post Jul 4 2006, 03:10 PM
Post #4

CMCer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 194

Welcome and Happy July 4th SSgt! We have a good third gen crew here. I recently sold my third gen race car that was very dialed in for CMC. Raced it for about five years, it was an '84 Trans-Am with the L69 engine. I always drove it with the rear end brake dialed out or almost dialed out with stock brakes and a proportioning valve- this is pretty much the norm with this car in track situations unless you want to experience some real nasty wheel hop! If you bought the Wilwood stuff the good news is you can sell it! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Your underhood combo sounds really potent! Your job once you hit the track will be from letting all that power get you in trouble while you are in the learning stages (if you are experienced my apologies!).

I knew I'd miss my 3rd gen race car so I got a '91 TPI Formula five-speed 305 last year. A lucky situation yielded a low mile stroker, also a '91 TPI, and I am also going the T-56 route. Car is at Blaine Fabrication and will get Alan's nice custom SFCs and 3.5" exhaust. This will be a street car but will do an occasional lap at the big track! Not sure what I'll do with all that power. Hubby asked that question and I said "I'm going to laugh like a crazy person!!!!" MUHAAA HAAA!! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/burnout.gif)

+Quote Post
Crazy Canuck
post Jul 4 2006, 09:18 PM
Post #5

North of the border

Member No.: 177

welcome to the board. hope you like it here.
btw, on the items you are working on, the k-member, i strongly suggest you do some readings on the board and check about the new UMI K-member that seems to be very strong and much more oriented towards racing (not just 1/4 mile)
Also, for any fab work for cage, BlaineFab does excellent work and can give you lots of great advice.

As for the sway bars, not sure about 3rd gens... but you are thinking 33mm/25mm setup. for a 4th gen, that would make the rear a bit loose.
As for the brakes, the rears aren't worth the upgrade... put the $ on the front ones... and good pad selection.

Welcome aboard and enjoy the reading and the fun.

+Quote Post
SSgt. Carroll
post Jul 5 2006, 02:53 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Eugenio_SS @ Jul 4 2006, 09:18 PM) *
welcome to the board. hope you like it here.
btw, on the items you are working on, the k-member, i strongly suggest you do some readings on the board and check about the new UMI K-member that seems to be very strong and much more oriented towards racing (not just 1/4 mile)
Also, for any fab work for cage, BlaineFab does excellent work and can give you lots of great advice.

As for the sway bars, not sure about 3rd gens... but you are thinking 33mm/25mm setup. for a 4th gen, that would make the rear a bit loose.
As for the brakes, the rears aren't worth the upgrade... put the $ on the front ones... and good pad selection.

Welcome aboard and enjoy the reading and the fun.

I didn't think UMI made a K-Member for 3rd Gens.

+Quote Post
SSgt. Carroll
post Jul 5 2006, 03:11 AM
Post #7

I just read that they are working on it. Sounds great.... I like UMI because it seems they aim for road racing not drag queens.

What else should I look into? Lower LCA brackets? coil over kits?

My goal is to be competitive with a 06 Z06 handling wise. Engine wise.... I will figure out when I can.... maybe a 427CI LS2? (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I am a novice but not stupid. I have my associates in engineering and working on my bachlors. Graduated high school at 16. I am currently 19.

So really lay it on me. After I really start getting into this I wouldn't mind getting something I am not afriad to mess up and rub some tires.

I have a friend who is actualy with me for the ride with a 87 Iroc Z28 with factory T-Tops.... I know hard to beleive but no joke lol. His name is Shlomo... I know seriously though. My name is Mike by the way. Sorry for rambling lol. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/1poke.gif)

+Quote Post
Crazy Canuck
post Jul 5 2006, 03:41 AM
Post #8

North of the border

Member No.: 177

advice: take your time and make sure you do things only once
as for a ls2 427cid, i think that might be overkill on a 3rd gen body.
i have a ls2 stroker only and with 510rwhp NA is more than enough... much cheaper than the 427.
if a 427 interests you, the ls7 might be a good inexpensive choice.

there are so many things that can be done... depends on priorities and $-budget.
I'd focus on chassis rigidity/safety, braking, handling, and only after all those would i look into power.

as mentionned, depends on $ and priorities.
for starters, you can always get some good quality time @ a track/course, get some good pads and alignment... that will bring you a big grin and let you learn more from your car... then go step by step based on what you want to achieve out of the car.

imho, it's more fun to improve it gradually along the years.

+Quote Post
axoid
post Jul 5 2006, 09:52 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 70

Welcome to the board. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

My advice about sway bars is with stock springs Spohn's 34/25mm combinations is a good setup. But if you get into race springs the sway bars will depend on what spring rates you running and how you like the car to handle.

+Quote Post
PF Flyer
post Jul 5 2006, 01:29 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 99

Welcome aboard.

Summit Pt is my home track. I've run all three circuits and they all have their challenges. I've also run it in a 4th Gen and my current ride, a 3rd Gen. You can take the 87 TA link in the sig and drop me line with any questions.

My 3rd gen is setup as an SCCA American Sedan (A/S) class car. It's fairly well sorted and a whole lotta fun. Some of what you want to do swith yours ounds great, but we can talk in more detail. 'Seat Time' sounds like the best mod for now. The more you can get, the more the car will come around.

I started doing FATT (Friday At The Track) with BSR (Bill Scott Racing) way back in '99 and the itch hasn't been cleared up yet. I'm hoping to make it there this coming week-end with NASA (Nat'l Auto Sports Assoc), as I'm an instructor and I'm really needing some track time right about now.

If you can make it up there, this Saturday is a spectator event also going on so there will be a 20 dollar gate fee, look for a blue and silver 87 Trans Am and stop in and say hello. I don't believe that there will be any charge to get in on Sunday.

This post has been edited by PF Flyer: Jul 5 2006, 01:33 PM

+Quote Post
AndyJ
post Jul 5 2006, 03:22 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 791

QUOTE (Eugenio_SS @ Jul 4 2006, 10:41 PM) *
advice: take your time and make sure you do things only once

imho, it's more fun to improve it gradually along the years.

Mike,

Take Eugenio's advice to heart. You willl most likely find the plan you have in your mind now is going to change over the next few months as your knowledge increases. This stuff can be insanely expensive and it is better to only buy/install it once! These guys know their stuff and the signal to noise ratio is better here than other other board I frequent.

Just my $.02 -- and I love those 3rd Gens! Got an 87 Garage Queen I am working on now.

Andy

+Quote Post
slowTA
post Jul 5 2006, 07:51 PM
Post #12

Experienced Member

Member No.: 331

QUOTE (SSgt. Carroll @ Jul 4 2006, 11:11 PM) *
Graduated high school at 16.

First off... Overachiever (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) But having just graduated as an ME after too many years of trying, keep it simple until you're done with school. I can't remember how may autocrosses I've missed because I was trying to get the car ready while doing homework at the same time.

The best thing is to get the car reliable and predictable before any major work is done. It sounds like the motor is already in, if so you know the factory TPI leaves some power out there. Aluminum rockers are nice, but may not be the best choice for longevity. Keep an eye on them.

WS6/Z28 factory swaybars are 36/24mm. I found that with street tires this combo oversteers quite a bit, but with R compounds it pushes slightly. Try what you have and adjust as needed. For the brakes, factory rear disks should be fine. '89 and newer rear disks are almost the same as LT1 rears. I think the difference is rotor height and a noise damper on the caliper. Again, try what you have. By working your way up to the corners you sahould find the limits of the brakes without getting into too much trouble.

+Quote Post
SSgt. Carroll
post Jul 6 2006, 12:46 PM
Post #13

LOL!....

School is no burdon at all. I well be doing like 2 classes at night during the week. I like the job I have now so I am not planing on leaving it just looking for more education. Within a few months I should be getting another raise so I will have more funding. (Most people think I have to much now).

I am trying to go all out but I don't want to do it all at once because I would like to see what I need to adapt to my driving.

But I do want to buy everything I can that has nothing to do with my driving that helps the car.

So like would lower lca bracket help? Tubular panhard bars, LCAs, etc.

I am deffinitly going to go with a UMI K-Member and A-Arms along with there SFCs. I have done alot of structural CAD and I tell you thats amazing stuff they have over there compared to everything else out there.

Also with me going with a tubular front end and using aluminum heads I am pretty close to pulling 100 pounds off then front. What can I do to compensate for the ride height? Is there like an adjustable coil over system out there or something like that?

Tires.... anyone recommend a tire that wont kill me everytime I have to replace them? Id like to do 275s all the way around after reading what you said about tires being equal. Would that work ok?

I do have a LT1 rear in the car now with a disc rear. You guys are saying it will "Work". Can I improve at all apon them?

Rack and Pinion and power steering...does anyone make an aftermarket one that will tighten the ratio up and just the overall steering?

Brake Booster and Cylinder... anyone make an upgrade for this?

Will the 3.42 rear gear be ok at a track like summit with a T56? Should I go lower? or even higher?

Sorry for all the questions...I just love to learn (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/nutkick.gif)

PF Flyer your local... didn't notice lol. Anyway I can check out your car sometime? Also why don't you come to any of the local events? lol (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/twak.gif)

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jul 6 2006, 12:50 PM
Post #14

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (SSgt. Carroll @ Jul 6 2006, 08:46 AM) *
I do have a LT1 rear in the car now with a disc rear. You guys are saying it will "Work". Can I improve at all upon them?

Be aware that the 17x9.5 with 5.5" of backspacing will not fit that axle, you'll need to adjust the backspacing for the extra width of the axle (don't just order the wheel sizes I gave you since you've changed axles).

+Quote Post
PF Flyer
post Jul 6 2006, 02:16 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 99

PF Flyer your local, Anyway I can check out your car sometime? Also why don't you come to any of the local events?

I'll be at Summit Pt this coming week-end if you wanna see the car, as it's not 'tagged' for the street anymore. There'll be plenty of action as well, from hot laps to drifting to a roll over contest.

(IMG:http://www.pf-flyer.com/images/pf_flyer_at_midohio_0404.jpg)

+Quote Post
John_D.
post Jul 6 2006, 07:32 PM
Post #16

Engine and Tools Moderator

Member No.: 6

Okay, I have to ask... What is a roll-over contest?

+Quote Post
CMC #37
post Jul 6 2006, 07:48 PM
Post #17

CMCer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 194

QUOTE (John_D. @ Jul 6 2006, 02:32 PM) *

I think that involves Evos! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jul 6 2006, 07:55 PM
Post #18

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (John_D. @ Jul 6 2006, 03:32 PM) *

I believe it involves rolling cars over (on their roof) on the track. It's like drifting, all about style points and slightly more practical...... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/burnout.gif)

+Quote Post
Toxic Iroc
post Jul 7 2006, 03:31 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 1,278

hey im new here names shlomo im gettin into this with mike "ssgtcarroll" i got an 87 iroc with a 350 t-top yes a t-top i have some koni yellows and some pro kit on the way { should be in the mail} im wanting to know if this will fit on to the zo6 motor sport rims well and if so what size spacers do i need i would liek to run 17x9.5 with some 275's and will be goin with some sub frame conectors and some other mods

my car is pretyy much stock beside a soon to come butiful 3' exhust , rebuilt trans,rear end rebuil, dis,wires plugs,steerin wheel radio, air filter

and tryin to lear alot more from everyone and what not peace

~shlomo~

+Quote Post
SSgt. Carroll
post Jul 7 2006, 03:43 AM
Post #20

Just to let everyone know Shlomo has been trying to post for like 4 days and couldn't get on. So its a remarkable occasion that hes online. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/1poke.gif)

This post has been edited by SSgt. Carroll: Jul 7 2006, 03:45 AM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th May 2024 - 10:41 PM