IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Solo PerformanceHotpart.comUnbalanced EngineeringBlaine Fabrication.comUMI Performance

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I neee to put AC back in...
Steve91T
post Aug 1 2017, 11:36 AM
Post #1

Experienced Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 9,105

The PO removed the AC from the firewall forward when it started leaking. I have a box full of the old parts but I'm not sure if I want to use them. Maybe the compressor is ok?

What do you think the best way to do this would be? I'm hoping to not spend a fortune.

This is for the 172k mile 2000 1SC.

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Aug 1 2017, 12:04 PM
Post #2

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

Make sure the parts aren't full of cob webs (have a shop clean them?) and put fresh o-rings on everything (you can buy a bulk pack of AC o rings for $8 at NAPA) and reassemble it. Pull a vacuum on it and make sure it holds, then charge it (don't forget to start with an oil charge, or you'll trash the compressor in short order). Replace the evaporator/dryer (round silver canister) and the orifice tube (usually $40 for the evaporator and $5 for the orifice tube....give or take a bit).

You'll need an AC vacuum pump. I have one, and Harbor Freight sells one. I don't know if you can rent one anywhere or not? It's handy to verify that it's holding vacuum before paying a shop to do that part and finding out that it's leaking and they spent 8 hours (and $600 in labor) trying to seal it up.

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Aug 1 2017, 12:17 PM
Post #3

Veteran Member

Member No.: 385

Does the compressor turn smoothly?

What Kevin said. Make _certain_ you have the right amount of oil for the entire system (the FSM lists what part requires how much oil), or as Kevin says, the compressor will burn up quickly.

What started leaking? Something leaking freon? Condensate leaking into the floorboard?

+Quote Post
Steve91T
post Aug 1 2017, 07:11 PM
Post #4

Experienced Member

Member No.: 9,105

I have no idea what happened to the AC before it was removed. I think he said it was leaking freon. I know the lines going into the firewall are capped. Ill get the rest of the parts out and start checking them out.

Or would it be worth it to just let an AC shop check them out?

+Quote Post
nape
post Aug 1 2017, 10:17 PM
Post #5

Veteran Member

Member No.: 540

QUOTE (Steve91T @ Aug 1 2017, 02:11 PM) *
Or would it be worth it to just let an AC shop check them out?

Doubt it unless you can find a good ol' boy AC shop. Shops around here won't touch used parts unless they're already installed in the vehicle.

Kevin's advice is spot on in my experience. You can usually rent vacuum pumps and manifolds at chain parts stores. If it's a beater, I don't even worry about the vacuum.

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Aug 2 2017, 02:18 AM
Post #6

Veteran Member

Member No.: 385

But if you want it to last, vacuum it. And don't scrimp on the compressor oil.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:26 PM