IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Hotpart.comSolo PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.comUMI PerformanceUnbalanced Engineering

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> IROC adds road course back into schedule
Chris 96 WS6
post Jan 6 2006, 08:45 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Member
Member No.: 1

Well, its something at least, though I realize Daytona's infield course isnt' exactly an honest to goodness road course:

IROC adds road course...Daytona: The International Race of Champions [IROC] series will be on the road again in 2006, holding a road-course event as part of its four-race schedule for the first time in 14 years.The IROC series, sponsored by Crown Royal, will hold its third race this season on Thursday, June 29, on the road course at Daytona International Speedway. The last road-course event in IROC was at Watkins Glen International in New York in 1991, with Rusty Wallace winning. As part of its 30th anniversary season, IROC will also race Feb. 17 on the 2.5-mile oval at Daytona, on April 7 at Texas Motor Speedway and on Oct. 28 at Atlanta Motor Speedway. "We've missed the road racing element of the series over the years and I can't tell you how thrilled we are to add a road course back into the mix," said Jay Signore, IROC president and general manager. "This will be the first time the Crown Royal IROC Series will race on the Daytona road course since our inaugural season." IROC's test drivers began making laps Thursday on the 3.56-mile Daytona road course in conjunction with testing for the Rolex 24 of Daytona endurance race. The 12-driver field for this year's event is scheduled to be announced Jan. 17 in Daytona at a news conference during NASCAR's "Preseason Thunder," two weeks of testing that begins Monday.(ThatsRacin.com), the Daytona road course race takes the place of Richmond, which ran in Sept.(1-5-2006)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
35th_Anniversary...
post Jan 6 2006, 10:16 PM
Post #2

Chapter 11 Racing

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 207

QUOTE (Chris 96 WS6 @ Jan 6 2006, 14:45)
Well, its something at least, though I realize Daytona's infield course isnt' exactly an honest to goodness road course:

Yeah, no s***. It's like sayin the infield of Indianapolis is a actual road course.

It's not like you don't have all the cup guys here at WGI, just have it here.

+Quote Post
Rob Hood
post Jan 7 2006, 03:43 AM
Post #3

Experienced Member

Member No.: 130

Yeah, at least it offers turns in both directions. Frankly, if they really wanted it to be a true "race of champions" they should have an equal number of road course events for all the oval events, and perhaps use open-wheel cars in some events, just to show how well the drivers can adapt to different vehicles.

I agree, Watkins Glen would be a great place for an IROC event, but they should use the boot instead of the Cup course. Sears Point would be good too, and they should include the carousel turn as well.

There are other good road courses, but since most of them are not near Cup events, it probably wouldn't make good economic sense to try and hold an IROC event in conjunction with the Cup race. (from the sanctioning body/promoter's point of view)

+Quote Post
35th_Anniversary...
post Jan 7 2006, 04:27 AM
Post #4

Chapter 11 Racing

Member No.: 207

QUOTE (Rob Hood @ Jan 6 2006, 21:43)
I agree, Watkins Glen would be a great place for an IROC event, but they should use the boot instead of the Cup course.

I wish the regular nascar race used the boot. the race is too short, the drivers are too good for the short course.

+Quote Post
Rob Hood
post Jan 7 2006, 04:51 AM
Post #5

Experienced Member

Member No.: 130

I agree, but that probably wouldn't work too well for those who want to see the race live, since most of the grandstands are on the front stretch, and the increased laptimes would really string out the field (at least I think that would happen).

+Quote Post
killer_bluebird
post Jan 7 2006, 08:25 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,010

Are they still going to use Trans Am bodied racecars? I would love to take one of those cars around the track a couple times :drive: .

+Quote Post
Teutonic Speedra...
post Jan 7 2006, 02:10 PM
Post #7

LS1 Inside! / Toolbox / Mechanical Engineer

Member No.: 179

Good to hear! At least its a step in the right direction! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/thumbup.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 08:46 PM