IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Unbalanced EngineeringUMI PerformanceHotpart.comBlaine Fabrication.comSolo Performance

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stolen Car, Any help appreciated
jensend
post Nov 7 2007, 01:10 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 210

While this is not F-body specific, I imagine the people on this board will be sympathetic to the situation. My son's highly modified bright green 1989 Honda Civic Dx was stolen in Bear, Delaware sometime last night. The car is very special to him as he spent two years and most of his spare income modifying it. The car has the complete drivetrain, suspension, computer, and dashboard from a 1992 Acura Integra. The car also has Honda Del Sol seats, chrome wheels with black centers, and a Thule Kayak Rack on the roof. Obviously, the car is too old to be insured against theft. If anyone runs across anything on Craig's List or Ebay I'd appreciate any information. Aside from the financial and transportation loss, the real issue is the loss of something my son spent so much time and effort designing and building. Thanks for listening.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
firehawkclone
post Nov 7 2007, 02:19 PM
Post #2

Grumpy

Member No.: 81

I hope you get back!

+Quote Post
Rob Hood
post Nov 7 2007, 02:42 PM
Post #3

Experienced Member

Member No.: 130

Same here, hope it gets found. Been down this road myself. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/banghead.gif)

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Nov 7 2007, 03:05 PM
Post #4

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

E-mail me some pictures (if you have them) to trackbird(at)columbus.rr.com and I'll attach them to this thread when I get back to my main computer.

+Quote Post
sgarnett
post Nov 7 2007, 03:32 PM
Post #5

Seeking round tuits

Member No.: 33

I'm becoming ever more amazed by the number of people I know who have had cars stolen. So far I've been "lucky", and have only suffered 3 break-ins in the 27 years I've been driving.
This trend really sucks. On frrax alone, this makes at least 3 or 4. Wow ....

Good luck.

+Quote Post
Teutonic Speedra...
post Nov 7 2007, 04:59 PM
Post #6

LS1 Inside! / Toolbox / Mechanical Engineer

Member No.: 179

That's a bummer. I can't see the pictures here at work, but when I'm home later, I'll look and keep an eye out since I'm somewhat local to you.

+Quote Post
Rob Hood
post Nov 7 2007, 06:38 PM
Post #7

Experienced Member

QUOTE (jensend @ Nov 7 2007, 06:10 AM) *
While this is not F-body specific, I imagine the people on this board will be sympathetic to the situation. My son's highly modified bright green 1989 Honda Civic Dx was stolen in Bear, Delaware sometime last night. The car is very special to him as he spent two years and most of his spare income modifying it. The car has the complete drivetrain, suspension, computer, and dashboard from a 1992 Acura Integra. The car also has Honda Del Sol seats, chrome wheels with black centers, and a Thule Kayak Rack on the roof. Obviously, the car is too old to be insured against theft. If anyone runs across anything on Craig's List or Ebay I'd appreciate any information. Aside from the financial and transportation loss, the real issue is the loss of something my son spent so much time and effort designing and building. Thanks for listening.

I'd go ahead and list an ad on Ebay and Craigslist stating these items and the car were stolen. If you have pictures to post that would help too. Might help to use youtube or myspace websites as well.

+Quote Post
jensend
post Nov 7 2007, 11:12 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

The car was "found" by Police late this morning along with three others. All were in a parking lot in an industrial park. Both local and state police refused to do a report- each claiming that the other had the responsibility. Oddly enough, several of the businesses in the industrial park were automotive shops. No matter what we tried, we could not get police to come to the scene. Eventually, we were directed by our towing plan (which does not cover theft recovery) to have the car towed before dark . The local police offered to have it towed to impound for $200. We used the tow service our plan suggested and paid $345 for the 2 hour tow home.

The Aftermath-so far: The car was likely stolen by pros. A lift was used in order to steal all of the suspension components (koni coilovers, rear trailing arms, rear control arms, disc brakes). The battery, HID units and igniters,thye distributor w/ wires, and the computer were also taken. The CAI, stereo, amp, speakers and sub were taken as well, though oddly, they unplugged the stereo components. Obviously the wheels and tires (Kumho ASXs) and wheels, the brand and model I have to get from my son, were also taken. Much of the interior plastic was hacked in removing the rear struts and virtually all of the molded-in body work was damaged in one way or another. The Carbon Fiber hood was, of course, taken as well. We'll probably know more tomorrow when we go over the car carefully in full daylight.

As a gearhead who's built and restored several cars of my own, I'm disgusted, sickened and angry. As a parent who knows how much money, skill, planning, effort, and personal pride my son put into the project, I'm heart sick. Parents are expected to know what to say and do to help their kids over the hurdles in this life, but the pointless absurdity and sense of violation this kind of thing creates is going to be hard to counter.

Thanks for all the suppotive posts. I appreciate it. Hopefully, none of you will have to deal with similar things with the cars you build and care about.

+Quote Post
marka
post Nov 7 2007, 11:20 PM
Post #9

Experienced Member

Member No.: 896

Howdy,

That really sucks. Sorry to hear that the car was in such a mess.

The thing I don't get is the police not wanting to get involved... If it were me, I'd be writing to the local newspapers, tv news stations, & politicians, talking about how even after you found the cars, the police refused to help. I expect that they'd get their act straightened up pretty quickly if shitty behavior like that was made public.

Mark

+Quote Post
Rob Hood
post Nov 8 2007, 01:39 AM
Post #10

Experienced Member

ok, glad you at least got the car back. Now, while everything is still fresh in your head, write it down and contact your local councilman/commissioner for your city or district, and tell them about the police finger-pointing for who was to take responsibility. File a complaint against both city and state, and get them to fess up one way or the other. When my first Z28 was vandalized, the police refused to send someone to fingerprint it. After a couple of calls to the local councilman's office, a detective showed up and dusted the car. Whaaddya know - the JUVENILE's fingerprints were in the system. They went right to his house and cuffed him. and he sat in juvenile detention until he turned 18...

+Quote Post
slowTA
post Nov 8 2007, 01:42 AM
Post #11

Experienced Member

Member No.: 331

WOW... it must be mob connected with someone on the inside. Even at that I would still write the papers, mayor, chief of police, congress, and 7 on your side. Then comb the internet looking for the parts, become one with the local blackmarket, stake out the parking lot for as long as it takes, find some thugs of my own... your options are endless!

Do you know how to or someone who can lift fingerprints off the car?

At this point I'm not sure what I would do. I'm sure there are things that could have been done better, but you have to ask yourself if its worth it. I know you can insure older cars against theft but I don't know how they would treat all the aftermarket stuff. I'm sure they'll tell you you're out of luck (especially when you don't have a police report) and could even tell you the aftermarket stuff was a huge flag that screamed for attention.

When my Regal was stolen I didn't get anything for the rebuilt motor that was 6 months old!

+Quote Post
jensend
post Nov 8 2007, 03:46 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Our recourse is limited as my son was out-of state visiting his girlfriend where the car was stolen. The likelihood of anyone in the police, journalistic, or political arenas taking interest or action on our behalf in this is very limited. My personal opinion is that the situation is probably a common one in that area. Collusion would not surprise me either.

At this point, it appears the most likely option is to try to put the car back into something like stock form with scrapyard parts and either use it as a beater or sell it as one. I'll admit to being somewhat cynical about the political processes of this society in general having come of age in the 1960s. However, it seems to me that things have gotten to the point where the best you can expect is to limit your liabilities. I have little faith in the advocacy of the legal/justice/political systems at this point. Certainly find it hard, as a parent, to explain this otherwise to my sons.

Hope to get the car buttoned up against the elements today and start looking for what parts are available. Of course, the car is due for NJ DMV inspection this month!

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Nov 8 2007, 06:26 PM
Post #13

Veteran Member

Member No.: 385

The worst part for me getting a car broken into is the feeling you have been violated, and there is no one around to pummel with a baseball bat. I've learned you keep the nice car under lock and key, driving it only when you can stay with it 100% of the time, and use the turd beater (or, if you can afford it, the new _factory stock_ car with full insurance and a warranty) for the daily commute.

But yeah, there is probably collusion, or the cops didn't want to get shot at in that industrial park by all the 'workers' in their 'auto shops'. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/banghead.gif)

+Quote Post
z28tt
post Nov 8 2007, 09:52 PM
Post #14

www.skulte.com

Member No.: 515

QUOTE (jensend @ Nov 8 2007, 10:46 AM) *
Our recourse is limited as my son was out-of state visiting his girlfriend where the car was stolen. The likelihood of anyone in the police, journalistic, or political arenas taking interest or action on our behalf in this is very limited. My personal opinion is that the situation is probably a common one in that area. Collusion would not surprise me either.

I think the town's chamber of commerce, along with the TV/news would be interested. Here's a town, *obviously* (sarcasm added) having problems attracting new people to move there, businesses to stay, etc. People are afraid to go there due to crime, and the complacent police won't even do their job. I'd say there's a problem somewhere that should be addressed. Hey - at least it'll make you feel better, and hopefully get some folks nailed.

A.

+Quote Post
slowTA
post Nov 8 2007, 11:01 PM
Post #15

Experienced Member

Member No.: 331

Don't tell the media that you're from out of state. Just give them a call and let them figure it out for themselves. Besides there were other stolen cars there in the same spot as you. One of them is probably local.

+Quote Post
GM01SS
post Nov 8 2007, 11:27 PM
Post #16

Nitto Destroyer!

Member No.: 29

Dennis...........So sorry to hear o this situation.

Glad nobody was hurt ( other than feelings and pocket book of course)

I am a firm beliver in what goes around comes around. I know that will not help your son/you but i have seen it work first hand.

All my best to you and the family.

Gary

+Quote Post
jensend
post Nov 9 2007, 02:17 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Thanks Gary,

Steve had a customer at work today who is in law enforcement, who offered to go with him to visit the watch commander and demand a report. He said that the situation is one that, in his view, should be a matter for an internal affairs inquiry. Don't think Steve will go that route as it won't help him get his parts back or get the car fixed. Right now, daily transport is a primary concern. Our dakota gets only 1/2 the MPG the Honda/Integra did.

This post has been edited by jensend: Nov 9 2007, 02:18 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 01:10 PM