IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Unbalanced EngineeringSolo PerformanceUMI PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.comHotpart.com

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 23rd October Inaugeral Historic V8 Race Snetterton UK
Al weyman
post Sep 15 2011, 04:46 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 80,843

This is the prelude to a new series in the UK that could well become very BIG!! At the moment as the organiser Bernie Codash has just told me we have no less than 36 cars entered with only two spots left on the grid so is bound to be a sell out! Its for any car fitted with a V8 as standard but generally 80's and earlier although no cut off has yet been annouced. There is no less than 10 Camaros currently entered and its as much a surprise to me as it was to Bernie as we never realised there was that many racing Camaros in the whole of the UK! We have 4 Aston Martin V8's several Sunbeam Tigers and MGB V8's and of course Mustangs. With 38 cars on the grid I calculate that is something in the region of 15200 horses being unleashed when the flag goes down and must surely be some sort of record for a UK club race. Its also in aid of Help the Heros the UK war vet charity and we are hoping some of the guys who have been injured will be our guests, also trying to get some American servicemen interest from nearby RAF Lakenheath where a lot of the USAF guys are based.

I will keep you updated on this potentially very exciting event. I havn't decided which car to take yet and will decide after my next event where I am taking both and comapre lap times.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Sep 15 2011, 06:22 PM
Post #2

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

That sounds like fun. If it wasn't such a long swim I'd start packing!

+Quote Post
NJSPEEDER
post Sep 16 2011, 04:45 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,311

That sounds amazing.

Trackbird, I can give you a second excuse to visit the UK that weekend. The NFL will be in London. Bears vs Bucs at Wembley Stadium (I will actually be there)

Good luck with the race Al!!! Get some in car video for us!!!

-Tim

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Sep 16 2011, 11:35 AM
Post #4

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (NJSPEEDER @ Sep 16 2011, 12:45 AM) *
Trackbird, I can give you a second excuse to visit the UK that weekend. The NFL will be in London. Bears vs Bucs at Wembley Stadium (I will actually be there)

Interestingly enough I am an odd guy in the fact that I've never really watched sports. If basketball, football and baseball vanished tomorrow I wouldn't even notice they were gone (and living in Columbus, OH I'm "Ohio State Buckeyed" (football, but not the cooler kind Al is used to) to death...please make them go away!!!). I don't really follow racing either. I'm not sure what I do with my time...lol.

Of course this is just my opinion, others won't agree. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

+Quote Post
NJSPEEDER
post Sep 21 2011, 05:10 AM
Post #5

I actually find myself watching less and less sports on TV. Too much replay and ego for my taste.

I would say I am spending more time watching racing but since Speed Channel doesn't show racing any more everyone would know I was lying. lol

-Tim

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Sep 21 2011, 11:43 AM
Post #6

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (NJSPEEDER @ Sep 21 2011, 01:10 AM) *
I would say I am spending more time watching racing but since Speed Channel doesn't show racing any more everyone would know I was lying. lol

-Tim

No kidding. Fox RUINED the speed channel. They used to show obscure races and WRC and all kinds of other cool stuff. Now it's just a bunch of nascar crew chiefs talking about the race, or the replay of the last race, etc. I finally cancelled cable about a year ago since I didn't turn it on for 5 weeks straight and there's nothing to watch when I did. I had 400 channels and all I could hear is the old Bruce Springstein song.... "57 Channels and nothin' on".

+Quote Post
Al weyman
post Sep 21 2011, 03:43 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Well if its any consolation I cannot stand the english football game (soccer) never could and used to play rugby, we call soccer a game for gentlemen played by hooligans but rugby a game for hooligans played by gentlemen which kinda sums it up. UK football players are just overpaid prima donners IMHO.

+Quote Post
NJSPEEDER
post Oct 6 2011, 02:22 AM
Post #8

Love Rugby!!! I played in college. Just wish it was a more popular game here in the states.

-Tim

+Quote Post
Al weyman
post Oct 11 2011, 12:08 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

OK Guys here is the full entry list, 39 names and some well known ones both side of the pond, looking fantastic.

(IMG:http://www.cadart.com/Images/V8%20entry.jpg)

+Quote Post
NJSPEEDER
post Oct 15 2011, 01:09 AM
Post #10

65 TVR Griffith. Very cool car that we don't get here in the states.

It's cool to see that they have a door to door racing class for street legal vehicles. Get lots of pics and video for us. Good Luck!!

+Quote Post
Al weyman
post Oct 15 2011, 12:22 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NJSPEEDER @ Oct 15 2011, 02:09 AM) *
65 TVR Griffith. Very cool car that we don't get here in the states.

It's cool to see that they have a door to door racing class for street legal vehicles. Get lots of pics and video for us. Good Luck!!

I will trust me and some incar, I may yet take the 3rd gen if I can be sure the odd oil leak that I think is coming from some poor cork gaskets is cured with new high quality ones. He has put me in the street class but its not that streetable to be honest either car, but as I have all original glass and steel panels it was the fairest place. Cars like Rikki Cann's Aston Martin, the FIA cobra and the Camaro of Boysie Thurtle are seriously quick. The Camaro entered by Mark Fowler if its the same one he entered a couple of years ago is also a very quick car, its the fist gen ex Pete Halford car a ZL1 clone with big block aluminium engine a beautiful beast all sprayed and decaled in the orginal penske blue. I will be happy to finish and not last if I am honest.

Oh the organiser Bernie Chodash has told me as this is a strictly fun event and not for ego warriors is going to black flag and give a drive through penalty to anyone seen running away with it! He also is hopin to bring some triple amputees to the the circuit and has contacted Johnathon Palmer the circuit owner for support in the way of luncheon vouchers and free entry. Did you know a startling fact and I am sure its far worse your side, from these wretched middle east conflicts we have embroilded ourselves in there is a staggering 500 triple amputee war vets in this country, don't hear that on the news do you! I am very comfortable and proud to be doing a small bit to help these guys.

This post has been edited by Al weyman: Oct 15 2011, 12:28 PM

+Quote Post
Al weyman
post Oct 18 2011, 08:19 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Well the big one is fast approaching (this Sunday) and I am seriously thinking of taking the 3rd Gen now as I think I have nailed the annoying oil leak and steering belt problem. The valve cover was just indexing on the inlet manifold and as I had changed the gaskets for some cork ones as they were all I could get in a hurry when I redid the valve lash they were not sealing properly. I have put some nice after market ones on now and ground a bit off the cover and it seems to be seating correctly now. I have also relaligned the power pump and that seems better. As this is a non-championship 'fun' event it may be a good one to take it to especially as my adjustable rear sway bar for the 2nd gen hasnt arrived yet. I am also keen to properly try out the mods I have done on the 3rd gen as I am convinced this model car has so much more to give than I have got out of it this far.

+Quote Post
Al weyman
post Oct 24 2011, 03:49 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

What a weekend, what a race, here is some video from the 3rd Gen, still not quite right and need to ask some advice here on fuel tanks and exhausts but handling very much better.

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrZonjiyF4Y

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlF9Fzar5Zk

Anyone care to put a price on the value of that FIA white Cobra I kindly took to the grass to avoid on the opening lap?

+Quote Post
Al weyman
post Oct 25 2011, 11:54 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

And here is a good selection of stills http://www.flickr.com/photos/highnorfolkbo...57627845310417/

+Quote Post
Al weyman
post Oct 25 2011, 02:42 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

More pictures here, scroll through to get to the V8's the race has gone down a storm, everyone loves a V8! http://www.davidstallardphotography.com/Pe...8924800_v8xm47q

+Quote Post
Al weyman
post Oct 26 2011, 06:58 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Oh well I thought it was great so did a lot of other people overhere, you guys have probably seen it all before!

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Oct 26 2011, 11:53 AM
Post #17

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (Al weyman @ Oct 26 2011, 02:58 AM) *
Oh well I thought it was great so did a lot of other people overhere, you guys have probably seen it all before!

Hey Al! I looked through some of the photos and that looked like a good time. Sadly I can't watch the video's at work and missed checking them out last night (never got to a PC last night at all). Glad to hear it's improving and moving in the right direction. I'd love to come visit for a race weekend some day, that sounds like lots of fun. Besides, I'm not a bad crew chief when it comes to these cars. lol. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

+Quote Post
Al weyman
post Oct 26 2011, 12:29 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Well even if I say it myself the vids are some of my better ones with lots of action throughout as I was nearly punted off on the opening lap and had to then play catch up. Also a bit of lapping on me by the fast boys so plenty to watch. If this takes off next year like it looks that it will then it will be well worth a look over. BTW my pal Cliff Ryan is going to race at Daytona in the Mustang he keeps over there in November, I wouldlove to go with him but my lady friend is having an operation to try to cure her deafness at the same time so sadly out but will definitely come over with him next year as the Mustang is staying overthere.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:30 AM