IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
UMI PerformanceHotpart.comBlaine Fabrication.comUnbalanced EngineeringSolo Performance

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Latest Engine Pic
redbird1
post Jul 16 2004, 10:20 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 203

(IMG:http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v294/Redbird1/engine/b866c454.jpg)

Between work, home and lac of funds(I still need a rad.) things are moving kind of slow lately. But I'm very happy with how things are coming out.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jul 16 2004, 10:38 PM
Post #2

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

You should pull that out of the car, frame it and hang it on a wall. That is artwork (but, will it run???). Looks great, you'll get it done. The hard part is already out of the way.

Keep us posted!

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Jul 16 2004, 10:38 PM
Post #3

Nothing says 'I love you.' like a box of Hydroshoks

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4

Damned nice!

I notice your brake bias knob is right there on the right.

I have thought about this, but wouldn't it be better suited next to the driver?

It just seems to me to be a PITA to adjust bias ... especially very fine adjustments.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jul 16 2004, 10:40 PM
Post #4

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (mitchntx @ Jul 16 2004, 05:38 PM)
Damned nice!

Ok Mitch, where's yours?????

(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Jul 16 2004, 10:42 PM
Post #5

Nothing says 'I love you.' like a box of Hydroshoks

Member No.: 4

:Hangs head in shame:

+Quote Post
redbird1
post Jul 16 2004, 11:07 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (mitchntx @ Jul 16 2004, 04:38 PM)
Damned nice!

I notice your brake bias knob is right there on the right.

I have thought about this, but wouldn't it be better suited next to the driver?

It just seems to me to be a PITA to adjust bias ... especially very fine adjustments.

I could not agree more. But "time" and "degree of importance at his time" were big considerations.

Other than a summer with Skip Barber about ten yrs ago and a lot of seat time with The PC game "Grand Prix 3" I have never been on a track. But I yeeeeeeaaaaarn to be there. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

What I think I know though is that I like a delicately set break bias. I like to feel the car rotate just a little as I finish the braking/turn-in and transfer into the "hit the apex" mode. I don't believe you can acheive that properly without the bias control at the drivers hand. Changing track conditions, different tracks...

If I ever start living enough to have this car on the track I would want it in the car.

Steve

+Quote Post
rmackintosh
post Jul 17 2004, 03:34 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 27

(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

....damn....my car is a FILTHY pile of crap!...

(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jul 17 2004, 03:39 AM
Post #8

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (rmackintosh @ Jul 16 2004, 10:34 PM)

But it's fast.....

I washed mine right before winter....then drove it all winter. I'm of the "if it's fast and handles, who cares how it looks". But, I did just buy a house so I can now wash it in the driveway. After I get unpacked, a full detailing is coming soon....

+Quote Post
94bird
post Jul 17 2004, 03:42 AM
Post #9

Insert catch phrase here

Member No.: 20

Steve, as everyone else has said, excellent looking engine and bay. Both you and Mitch are doing much better than me. My car's been sitting for over 2 months now without me even touching it.

However, you might consider putting stock water pump back on now if you intend to use this for the track. More than one other forum user has taken theirs off after trying them for extended higher rpm usage. You can take it off now and sell it for a good amount of money to a drag racer and save some trouble later.

+Quote Post
CMC #37
post Jul 17 2004, 04:07 AM
Post #10

CMCer

Member No.: 194

Very nice! Not a California car, noticed the nice breather.

+Quote Post
redbird1
post Jul 17 2004, 10:14 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (CMC #37 @ Jul 16 2004, 10:07 PM)
Very nice! Not a California car, noticed the nice breather.

There is not going to be one piece of emmissions equipment left.

+Quote Post
redbird1
post Jul 17 2004, 10:21 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (94bird @ Jul 16 2004, 09:42 PM)
Steve, as everyone else has said, excellent looking engine and bay. Both you and Mitch are doing much better than me. My car's been sitting for over 2 months now without me even touching it.

However, you might consider putting stock water pump back on now if you intend to use this for the track. More than one other forum user has taken theirs off after trying them for extended higher rpm usage. You can take it off now and sell it for a good amount of money to a drag racer and save some trouble later.

Mike,
I read your comments not long ago about how if the stock pump starts to go you get a warning of dripping water but at least your still able to get somewhere. If the electric goes, it's over. Your dead in the water. This really made me think that I wish I had stayed with the stock setup. But at this time I'm going to leave it. I had had the engine builder remove the drive gear/shaft and there is a freeze plug in the hole for the shaft. Changing back would be a bit of work and I don't want to take the time right now. I just want my car back. But in the futre I could see myself going back.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jul 17 2004, 02:52 PM
Post #13

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (redbird1 @ Jul 17 2004, 05:21 AM)
But at this time I'm going to leave it. I had had the engine builder remove the drive gear/shaft and there is a freeze plug in the hole for the shaft. Changing back would be a bit of work and I don't want to take the time right now. I just want my car back. But in the futre I could see myself going back.

It's probably much easier to change now than later, but that is just a suggestion.

It looks great. I've never had a car that clean, even the day I picked it up from the dealer. Nice job.

+Quote Post
Mericet
post Jul 17 2004, 06:21 PM
Post #14

Scaring slow F body drivers with a VW diesel

Group: Member
Member No.: 376

QUOTE (trackbird @ Jul 16 2004, 10:39 PM)
QUOTE (rmackintosh @ Jul 16 2004, 10:34 PM)

But it's fast.....

I washed mine right before winter....then drove it all winter. I'm of the "if it's fast and handles, who cares how it looks". But, I did just buy a house so I can now wash it in the driveway. After I get unpacked, a full detailing is coming soon....

What, the wheels too!!! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jul 17 2004, 07:19 PM
Post #15

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (Mericet @ Jul 17 2004, 01:21 PM)

Not without a bead blaster.....

The wheels may be refinished in black, they are nearly there anyway.

(mumbles....."thinks I'm gonna clean those wheels.....yea.....")

I once posted on this board:

"I have redone my calipers in a nice base coat of Carbotech Panther Plus, followed by a dusting of Carbotech Panther XP and have now applied a nice Hawk HP+ "pearl" to top it off. They are pretty, you should see 'em.

I also have matching wheels. Once the wheels get completely black, I'm going to "clear" them....."

You've seen my car, I've done a nice job, no?

+Quote Post
Formula WS6
post Jul 17 2004, 08:33 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 45

wow very nice. i like the polishing on the brackets and such.

+Quote Post
Mericet
post Jul 18 2004, 03:41 AM
Post #17

Scaring slow F body drivers with a VW diesel

Group: Member
Member No.: 376

QUOTE (trackbird @ Jul 17 2004, 02:19 PM)
QUOTE (Mericet @ Jul 17 2004, 01:21 PM)

You've seen my car, I've done a nice job, no?

And what a nice job! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
94bird
post Jul 18 2004, 03:52 AM
Post #18

Insert catch phrase here

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (redbird1 @ Jul 17 2004, 06:14 AM)
There is not going to be one piece of emmissions equipment left.

You're removing all the emissions equipment and keeping the A/C? At least it looks like you are. Heck, it hardly even gets hot way up here anyway, and there is so much more room without it. Getting rid of your condenser will make it much more convenient to mount an oil cooler in front of the radiator also.

+Quote Post
redbird1
post Jul 25 2004, 12:38 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

I hope you guys will still let me hang out here when I tell you how stupid I was.

Last weekend the wife and I were at Cedar Point with some other family. I have a dream one night tthat a tornado destroyed my garage taking my car with it. The second I wake up from the dream I realize something bad.

I forgot to put the oil pump drive unit in the motor. It's 2;30 a.m. in some strange hotel and I'm freaking out inside. I couldn't believe it.

Well the intake has been off again and it's all done know and I'm back moving foreward but what a dumbass.

Steve

+Quote Post
trax
post Jul 25 2004, 03:14 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 131

QUOTE (redbird1 @ Jul 25 2004, 06:38 AM)
I forgot to put the oil pump drive unit in the motor. It's 2;30 a.m. in some strange hotel and I'm freaking out inside. I couldn't believe it.

The important thing is, you remembered that it was missing. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Similar story:

One of the guys in the Purdue car club had a bad tendency to run his mouth trying to assert his knowledge about the automotive world. So when it came time for one of the other members to put together a 351W motor, the guy stepped right up to the plate to help out with the shortblock assembly.

The guy screwed up the piston rings, hardcore. #1 piston didn't have any rings on it at all. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Luckily somebody caught it before the car saw street time. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:56 PM