IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
UMI PerformanceSolo PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.comHotpart.comUnbalanced Engineering
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lost my little buddy today
rmackintosh
post Jun 25 2008, 11:11 PM
Post #1

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 27

...and it is killing me. This is my first and only dog. He was 14.

He had been not eating and puking for a week or so....nothing we did would save him. Spent his last 2 hours this morning laying with him and petting him as he wound down......so fucking sad! I called the vet at 7am and the doctor would not be in until 9am....the little guy made it until about 8:35.....

I feel gutpunched today....:sigh:

Rest in peace little buddy....

14 years old!

(IMG:http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3199/2611109519_a23deb4248.jpg)

The best Beagle EVER.....Howard.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sgarnett
post Jun 25 2008, 11:24 PM
Post #2

Seeking round tuits

Member No.: 33

Sorry to hear that. Here's to Howard (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

This post has been edited by sgarnett: Jun 25 2008, 11:25 PM

+Quote Post
TSHACK
post Jun 25 2008, 11:59 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,094

He was a Fine looking guy. My heart goes out to you. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/gr_cry.gif) It never seems to get any better If it's friend #1 or #10. Hope you feel better soon.
Terry

This post has been edited by TSHACK: Jun 26 2008, 08:29 PM

+Quote Post
JKnight
post Jun 26 2008, 12:55 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 141

Sorry Randy. I went through that 16 months ago, and it still rips me apart that my dog is gone. After I was somewhat stable, we went to Vegas, since we no longer needed to get a housesitter when travelling. We've decided not to get another dog for a while, since it's really quite a committment, but sometimes I wonder if life wouldn't be better with a dog in the house. Tough decision.

Hang in there, try to reflect on the fact that you got 14 wonderful dog filled years.

Jason

+Quote Post
tonycook
post Jun 26 2008, 01:39 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 176

Sorry about your loss. He probably received comfort from you being with him.
Tony

+Quote Post
rpoz-29
post Jun 26 2008, 02:00 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 22

Man, that's tough. I've had a lot of dogs and it's never easy to lose one. There are no words to make you feel better right now, but you can rest easy knowing you gave Howard all the love he wanted. A dog may be the only animal that loves you more than it loves itself. Remember the good times with him.

+Quote Post
cccbock
post Jun 26 2008, 11:17 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,113

QUOTE (JKnight @ Jun 25 2008, 08:55 PM) *
Sorry Randy. I went through that 16 months ago, and it still rips me apart that my dog is gone. After I was somewhat stable, we went to Vegas, since we no longer needed to get a housesitter when travelling. We've decided not to get another dog for a while, since it's really quite a committment, but sometimes I wonder if life wouldn't be better with a dog in the house. Tough decision.

Hang in there, try to reflect on the fact that you got 14 wonderful dog filled years.

Jason

Sorry to hear about your loss Randy. We've been through this a few times around here and it never seems to get better with experience, only with time. Sometimes momentarily I think the dog is more important than family and kids.

My wife's way of dealing with this is to get a new pet (dog or cat or whatever) ASAP. Not to forget the old friend, but to help heal the psyche with a new friend. I think I'd prefer the wait and see method as mentioned above, but I don't make those decisions.

Hang in there.

Bock

+Quote Post
firehawkclone
post Jun 26 2008, 11:45 AM
Post #8

Grumpy

Member No.: 81

I just went through this with a year ago with a cat Randy, I know how your feeling all to well my friend! Me and the wife have no kids, so we opted for the quick replacement route. I may have to do this again real soon with a 14yr cat and 12yr dog, that both are sliding down hill real fast.

My heart goes out to you and your family with the lost of your family member!

+Quote Post
00 Trans Ram
post Jun 26 2008, 01:31 PM
Post #9

Experienced Member

Member No.: 303

Sorry to hear that, Randy. Dogs are truly one of my greatest loves in life. It sounds like a joke, but I'm 100% serious when I say, "I like ALL dogs more than MOST people."

+Quote Post
RVachon
post Jun 26 2008, 02:14 PM
Post #10

Angry White Man

Member No.: 1,404

Sorry for your loss Randy. I've had a few dogs & cats in my life that I have lost. I still have 2 cats and a dog and even when they get hurt it's painful.

QUOTE (00 Trans Ram @ Jun 26 2008, 09:31 AM) *
Sorry to hear that, Randy. Dogs are truly one of my greatest loves in life. It sounds like a joke, but I'm 100% serious when I say, "I like ALL dogs more than MOST people."
...and here I thought I was the only one that felt that way. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

+Quote Post
rmackintosh
post Jun 26 2008, 03:37 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 27

Thanks for all the kind words guys!

Today is a bit better, but it still sucks not hearing him walk into my room in the morning or his collar jingling around the house. Actually, I SWEAR I STILL HEAR his collar every now and again and it is always the same letdown when I remember. :-(

He was a hell of a dog, we had him since 1 month after I started racing....he is in a ton of my racing paddock photos looking annoyed as hell with the noise of the cars, the heat, or whatever.... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) We also got him before my wife and I were married....seems like he was tied to so much of our lives...it is impossible to separate the two.

Luckily I head out to Laguna for a race today, so I will be away from the things that tug at the heart the most for a few days and be keeping very busy to boot. This should help with the grieving.

I think we will wait for another pet....I know the kids will be wanting one soon.....maybe I can satisfy them with a fish or something....it was my dog, not the wifes, and I just can't see another dog replacing him or even being the "right" pet for now....

Thanks again guys for letting me be a big baby..... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
CMC #37
post Jun 26 2008, 04:11 PM
Post #12

CMCer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 194

There's nothing wrong with grieving for a beloved pet. When you are ready, consider going to the local animal shelter and adopting a dog that would be otherwise euthanized for no good reason at all. These guys know you saved them and they spend the rest of their lives thanking you. For now, I highly recommend sitting down and writing down everything you can think of about this dog. This is a great way to memorialize your buddy. When you look at this writing days or years down the road, you'll be able to remember all the cool things about him and it will make you smile.

+Quote Post
2manyfbods
post Jun 26 2008, 04:22 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 144

QUOTE (rmackintosh @ Jun 26 2008, 10:37 AM) *
I think we will wait for another pet....I know the kids will be wanting one soon.....maybe I can satisfy them with a fish or something....it was my dog, not the wifes, and I just can't see another dog replacing him or even being the "right" pet for now....

Thanks again guys for letting me be a big baby..... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

He will never be replaced. You'll just make a new friend some day. When he/she finds you, you'll know the time is right. Losing a pet hurts. no worries. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Shortcutsleeping
post Jun 26 2008, 04:26 PM
Post #14

Experienced Member

Member No.: 62

I'm so very sorry for your loss. They become such a huge part of the family that it totally sucks when they are gone. While it is sad that he is gone, revel in the fact that you gave him a good life and he gave you a good friend.

"The Art of Racing in the Rain', by Stein. Find it, buy it, read it. That goes for ALL of you that have animals that are family.

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Racing-Rain-Gart...n/dp/0061537934

My local Barnes and Noble had it. Written from the perspective of a dog whose in the family of a guy who is trying to go pro roadracing. This book will have you laughing and crying (literally) within pages of each other. I finished it in one day while travelling for work (about 5 hours). Incredible. Coming from a house that has always had pets that are indeed family, this book is great.

Costas
cars and such...

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Jun 26 2008, 04:35 PM
Post #15

Veteran Member

Member No.: 385

Dang, man. You made me remember our two most recent losses, our 'mama-dog' and her son, both lost to (different) cancer. The boy dog we helped deliver, so he was like a son to us. I'm still teary-eyed as I type this. Yes, it hurts like H3ll, but your life is just missing something without them, IMHO.

Get another one, and as Julie recommends, go to a shelter, or if you really like the Beagle, try a Beagle Rescue group. There are groups out there that specialize in rescuing certain breeds.

Our two most recent acquisitions were two more standard Poodle pups we got from the Boise (yes, THAT Boise) Animal Shelter. They have brought a lot of headache, as well as joy to our lives, having 6 month-old dogs in our house again. The older dogs are still getting used to it. They're nothing like the two we lost, but that's good, too. We love them all just the same.

It gets better with time. Hang in there. He's in a better place now.

+Quote Post
z28tt
post Jun 26 2008, 06:44 PM
Post #16

www.skulte.com

Member No.: 515

Randy,
Sorry to hear about your loss. Dogs hold a special place in your heart, and you'll always remember the joy that Howard brought to your life. I know I'll be devastated when it's time for our lab to make the big trip upstairs. Hang in there, and when you're ready for another little guy, there'll be someone waiting for you at a shelter or rescue group. We were the third family for Zip, and she was quite a handful at 1 year old, but really grew into being a great dog. I think she knows and appreciates the great life that she has, and I'm sure Howard did too.

Andris

+Quote Post
slowTA
post Jun 26 2008, 07:21 PM
Post #17

Experienced Member

Member No.: 331

Sorry for your loss Randy, I got my first dog when I was in the second grade and he died during my second year of college. We grew up together, and 8 years later it still isn't easy to think about.

A month after he died we got another dog... enjoy the freedom you have before getting another pet!

+Quote Post
AllZWay
post Jun 27 2008, 02:58 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 74

Sorry to hear about your doggy. It is a tough thing when you lose a pet you are really close too.

+Quote Post
Rob Hood
post Jul 3 2008, 03:34 AM
Post #19

Experienced Member

Member No.: 130

Randy,

I had to put my 14-year old Lab down in June too. I haven't been right since.

+Quote Post
Major_Lee_Slow
post Jul 3 2008, 02:00 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 876

I am so sorry to hear about your loose. I've lost 3 dogs in my lifetime and it never gets any easier. They are more than "just a dog" they are truly family members and it's heart wrenching every single time. Just take your time to heal, don't rush out and get another dog right away.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:16 AM