IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Blaine Fabrication.comUMI PerformanceSolo PerformanceUnbalanced EngineeringHotpart.com
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Toy, 2010 PPV Tahoe
CrashTestDummy
post Feb 15 2014, 06:17 PM
Post #1

Veteran Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 385

The wife's DD, a 1995 9C1 Caprice has right at 200K miles on it. While not a big deal these days, it's age is starting to show, and she needs a dependable car when she's on call. So, what better to replace a police car with than a police truck:

(IMG:http://images16.fotki.com/v382/photos/5/1331095/12806757/tahoe-vi.jpg)

We got it out of Florida. It's an ex-Sarasota County Sheriff's vehicle. It was apparently a supervisor's truck, as the holes for all the gear is minimal. There's two antenna holes in the roof, and a 3/4" hole in the shell of each side mirror I'll have to deal with. We also need to locate a console, since it probably had a Havas console full of radio gear. The outside and underside look barely used for a 90K mile truck, and it looks like the back seats have never been sat in. It has a little wear and tear on the driver's seat, but not much else.

It runs great, and handles better than the 9C1 it replaces. This now brings the cop car portion of our 'fleet' up to 3, including it, our 9C1 and our 92 B4C Camaro. The 9C1 will probably be relegated to 'spare' status for her should we need to have the truck down for extended service. Hopefully that's a rare occurrence for a while.

On the plus side is it even has a receiver hitch, so it could be used to tow the Firebird around a bit should our 2500HD be unavailable. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

Oh, and the spot light works!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ojustracing
post Feb 16 2014, 01:16 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 66

Gene

Sweet ride. Had a 06 PPV Tahoe. One of the best vehicles I have ever owned. Have been looking for a new style PPV for a while. Did that come from a Dealer or right out of the Auction?

John

+Quote Post
FASTFATBOY
post Feb 16 2014, 01:50 PM
Post #3

Experienced Member

Member No.: 1,410

QUOTE (CrashTestDummy @ Feb 15 2014, 06:17 PM) *
The wife's DD, a 1995 9C1 Caprice has right at 200K miles on it. While not a big deal these days, it's age is starting to show, and she needs a dependable car when she's on call. So, what better to replace a police car with than a police truck:

(IMG:http://images16.fotki.com/v382/photos/5/1331095/12806757/tahoe-vi.jpg)

We got it out of Florida. It's an ex-Sarasota County Sheriff's vehicle. It was apparently a supervisor's truck, as the holes for all the gear is minimal. There's two antenna holes in the roof, and a 3/4" hole in the shell of each side mirror I'll have to deal with. We also need to locate a console, since it probably had a Havas console full of radio gear. The outside and underside look barely used for a 90K mile truck, and it looks like the back seats have never been sat in. It has a little wear and tear on the driver's seat, but not much else.

It runs great, and handles better than the 9C1 it replaces. This now brings the cop car portion of our 'fleet' up to 3, including it, our 9C1 and our 92 B4C Camaro. The 9C1 will probably be relegated to 'spare' status for her should we need to have the truck down for extended service. Hopefully that's a rare occurrence for a while.

On the plus side is it even has a receiver hitch, so it could be used to tow the Firebird around a bit should our 2500HD be unavailable. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

One pic?? You tease.............

That will clear the left lane for trouble free interstate cruising lol.

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Feb 16 2014, 02:35 PM
Post #4

Veteran Member

QUOTE (Ojustracing @ Feb 16 2014, 07:16 AM) *
Gene

Sweet ride. Had a 06 PPV Tahoe. One of the best vehicles I have ever owned. Have been looking for a new style PPV for a while. Did that come from a Dealer or right out of the Auction?

John

John,

It came from a dealer that specializes in police vehicles, Cop Cars Online:

http://www.copcarsonline.com/inventory.asp...amp;pagesize=50

We had been looking off and on for more than a hear, and actually been in touch with these guys for half of that, trying to get one. Lately, the Tahoes don't come up often, and it seems they're getting more and more popular. It looks like they have another 2010 in inventory right now:

http://www.copcarsonline.com/2010_Chevrole...L_224963933.veh

It has a bit more mileage on it than ours, though, but looks decent. The guys at Cop Cars Online seem to be a bit more than just a used car dealership, in that they actually have a Cop Car Museum on premises, and even take some of their museum cars to distant police car shows. They said this truck was a good one, and so far, it's proved them right. The only issue I've discovered so far is the Ticket Light was not even connected, so I'm trying to find out how and where to power it so I can get it to work.

While I'm not sure I'd recommend long distant car buying, I think this instance went well, if not a bit long. Having to coordinate between the dealership and our credit union for the purchase, and then shepherding the paperwork around was tedious, at times. I figured the cost to have the truck shipped to our place would about even out the price of a plane ticket and hotel/gas charges, and I was pretty right. Shipping cost us $650 from Florida to Texas. It did take a couple of weeks before the shipper picked up the truck, but I'm getting the feeling that is about average. All in all, it wasn't a bad experience. I'd highly-recommend buying a truck from these guys, they seem to know what they're doing. Heck, they have a couple of Dodge Magnum Persuits in their inventory that I've been eyeing. :-)

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Feb 16 2014, 02:46 PM
Post #5

Veteran Member

QUOTE (FASTFATBOY @ Feb 16 2014, 07:50 AM) *
QUOTE (CrashTestDummy @ Feb 15 2014, 06:17 PM) *
<SNIP>

One pic?? You tease.............

That will clear the left lane for trouble free interstate cruising lol.

Heh, well, it's the only picture we've taken, so far!! Here are a couple from the dealer:

(IMG:http://images9.fotki.com/v1518/photos/5/1331095/12806757/Tahoefront-vi.jpg)

And, since this is a tech forum, under hood:

(IMG:http://images108.fotki.com/v1623/photos/5/1331095/12806757/rightenginecloseup-vi.jpg)

I plan on loosing the cover (I hate those things!), and am contemplating a cold air intake, but haven't decided yet. The Caprice is pretty much stock, and ran and functioned well as-is.

Hopefully, we'll see. It does garner you odd side glances when this middle-aged couple gets out of it, and neither 'look' like regular cops. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

The vinyl flooring, while functional, provides absolutely NO traction for anything. We had some plastic containers in the back of it yesterday, and just about every gentle lane change had them banging the side panels. I need to find a solution, it may be getting the carpet out of a total.

It does handle well. I can't wait to take this thing to one of our autocross events and run it. A C Prepared truck!!! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif) One of our sites is the City of Houston Police Academy, so the thing would be right at home there.

First order of business, though, other than the set of license plate screws we bought yesterday, is to get on Helm's site and get a set of FSMs headed out direction.

This post has been edited by CrashTestDummy: Feb 16 2014, 02:49 PM

+Quote Post
Steve91T
post Feb 16 2014, 05:25 PM
Post #6

Experienced Member

Member No.: 9,105

That is sharp looking. Love it.

+Quote Post
Ojustracing
post Feb 16 2014, 05:26 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Gene

Thanks for the info. I have seen there site before when I was driving my CVPI. Clean stuff and No Rust. Cant say that for PPV Tahoe from my area.

One of the best bangs for the buck I had done on my truck is had the computer Tuned by Blackbear Perfromance. I had a in-person tune done. Best 200 bucks spent. I have e-85 available in my locations. I got 4 miles per gallon increase on Gasoline. 3.5 mpg increase on e-85 which at times is over $1.00 less a gallon. After the tune the truck got the same fuel mileage on e-85 as it did gasoline. The savings alone paid for the tune in two month's!!!! Even with the performance increases the changes to the shifting would of been worth it by itself for me.

I wish I could buy one of these for what the state pays for them. Last time I checked NYS Contract price was $23,750 for 2010.

Later John

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Feb 16 2014, 05:53 PM
Post #8

Veteran Member

I'm reading great things about BB, and will probably opt for one soon. Gotta get new tires on the race car first!! This truck runs _very_ well, but I would like a bit better throttle response. It seems just a bit dead at tip-in, which I believe they can tune out, so it would be worth it then. It should be fun!

The 2014 PPVs were going for right at $30K here in Texas, but a civi like me can't touch one new, so this was the next best thing. We've had the 9C1 for about 10 years now, so if we get that kind of life out of the Tahoe, that'll be nice. I suspect it'll last much longer as long as nothing bad happens.

+Quote Post
FASTFATBOY
post Feb 16 2014, 07:13 PM
Post #9

Experienced Member

Member No.: 1,410

I love it.

I bought a 2004 5.3 Silverado and did research on a CAI.

The Airaid MIT(tube only) made 1 more HP than all the others tested on the dyno same day, and it's the cheapest. It bumped my MPG around town 1 mpg, I average 15.4-15.8 with a 3.73 gear.

http://www.airaid.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=200-912

+Quote Post
Jacob
post Feb 17 2014, 02:12 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 2,078

I love the PPV Tahoes. Great looking vehicles. Good luck with it.

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Feb 17 2014, 04:48 PM
Post #11

Veteran Member

Thanks, Jacob, we really like the look of them, too. The handling is a bonus. It feels several hundred pounds lighter than it really is. I can't wait to make a lap on an autocross course. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

Brother-in-law is in town on business, so we took the truck out to dinner last night. Wife drove, BIL was shotgun, and I rode 'perp'. I did notice that the back door lock knobs had been removed, but when it came time to get out of the truck I also noticed that that interior door handles did nothing. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) I don't remember if these things have a switch on the door like the B-bodys to disable the interior handes (hopefully, so), or if I'll have to pull the doors apart to fix. Since the back seat occupants will usually be our dogs, that might not be a bad option to leave in.

+Quote Post
Ojustracing
post Feb 17 2014, 05:07 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

I found on my PPV they had disconnected the cables. just had to reattach the cables.

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Feb 17 2014, 06:03 PM
Post #13

Veteran Member

Yeah, that's probably it. I'll wait until the FSM volume arrives before I start pulling the doors apart. I also opted for the PPV Supplement, so hopefully that has some more detail.

I already discovered the 'Ticket Light' doesn't appear to have ever been connected. I'll be getting that to work, as it's been very handy in the 9C1.

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Mar 6 2014, 05:43 PM
Post #14

Veteran Member

Well, since we're still working on our Firebird, we had to have something to run at last Sunday's regional autocross. Sooo, we decided we'd run the Tahoe. I checked and verified that the truck was not on any specific exclusion list due to roll over concerns (the civilian Tahoe is), and we loaded her up and off we went.

Now driving something on street tires that probably outweighs _anything_ else at the event by at least a factor of 2, we knew we wouldn't be competitive. We weren't. We placed DFL in PAX, although we scored a 1 and 2 in C Prepared. It WAS a ton of fun to drive. It handles surprisingly well for something it's size, and has a fair amount of power. We probably won't drive it again, primarily because it's my wife's DD, and has to be ready to run on Monday, but we still smile about it. The event was held at the driving school area of the Houston Police Academy, so it was right at home. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

Me:
(IMG:http://images107.fotki.com/v159/photos/5/1331095/12806757/CP59atMarchautocross-vi.jpg)

Her:
(IMG:http://images107.fotki.com/v780/photos/5/1331095/12806757/CP159atMarchautocross1-vi.jpg)

Then we went home, and headed out to the gun range to sight in the new scope on our AR.

This post has been edited by CrashTestDummy: Mar 6 2014, 05:46 PM

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Mar 24 2014, 04:41 PM
Post #15

Veteran Member

QUOTE (Ojustracing @ Feb 17 2014, 12:07 PM) *
I found on my PPV they had disconnected the cables. just had to reattach the cables.

That's all it took. It took longer to figure out how to get the door panel off than to reattach the cable. Now I need to figure out how to get the back door windows to work with the switches on the back door. I think all the relays and fuses are in place, and the switches at the back door are definitely plugged in, but don't work. That's not a deal breaker, though, as most of our back seat passengers will be our dogs. They don't need to be putting the window down.

+Quote Post
Ojustracing
post Mar 24 2014, 04:47 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Glad that helped on the doors. What I found on my 06 was that GM broke off a tab on the switch to where it would not work. I had to replace the two rear switches. Do the windows work from the Front drivers seat?

Later John

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Mar 25 2014, 12:14 PM
Post #17

Veteran Member

Yep, the front door controls work, and I've tried the 'child lock' both ways on both doors with no success from the back door switches. I'll have to pull a switch panel and have a look. Thanks for the information.

+Quote Post
DanielB
post Mar 25 2014, 03:47 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 141,710

Awesome tahoe, I would love to own one of those.

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Mar 25 2014, 06:43 PM
Post #19

Veteran Member

Thanks, we're really enjoying it. One can be yours:

http://www.copcarsonline.com/2010_Chevrole...L_224963933.veh

(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

Ours was right at 20k, and it cost $650 to ship to the southeast Houston area. Time didn't allow a trip out there, but if we do this again, I'll fly out and drive back. These guys have a police car museum, and I understand there are a couple of other nice car museums in the Tampa area. I'd do some sightseeing and then head back west.

+Quote Post
Shortcutsleeping
post Apr 16 2014, 04:57 PM
Post #20

Experienced Member

Member No.: 62

Gene,

Does your PPV Tahoe have provisions to mount a third seat?

I like the Tahoe PPV idea, but would rather change the second seat to another pair of captains chairs and then have the ability to put in the third row should it be needed.

thanks!
Costas

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 04:13 PM