IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
UMI PerformanceHotpart.comUnbalanced EngineeringSolo PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.com
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Monsoon speakers
00 SS
post Dec 12 2020, 12:10 AM
Post #1

Experienced Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 197

I have a blown speaker and was going to just buy new ones. I've been told that aftermarket speakers won't work with the Monsoon system. Has anyone had any luck replacing speakers? Also, if any one who's gutted their car has any for sale, I may be interested.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Dec 12 2020, 12:30 AM
Post #2

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

Look at Key Audio. They sell an upgraded set of replacement speakers that are compatible with the needs of the monsoon system. I bought a set 3 years ago and never installed them. They are still in the garage in boxes (but I got the convertible package, it has different rear speakers than the coupe setup). They look to be extremely well built speakers, but I haven't actually bothered to hook them up.

http://www.keeaudio.com/

+Quote Post
00 SS
post Dec 12 2020, 03:06 AM
Post #3

Experienced Member

Those look great. I think I'll call them Monday. Did you talk to them, are they good folks? Which level set did you order?

This post has been edited by 00 SS: Dec 12 2020, 03:12 AM

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Dec 12 2020, 04:22 AM
Post #4

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (00 SS @ Dec 11 2020, 10:06 PM) *
Those look great. I think I'll call them Monday. Did you talk to them, are they good folks? Which level set did you order?

I did the hybrid setup that doesn't have just woofers in the back. It's full range but has better front speakers. So it was the second setup with the rear speakers from the first setup (instead of just rear woofers). They are very well built speakers. I used to be a car stereo installer and I did competitions back in my youth and I'm pretty familiar with high end speakers. These are solid speakers. Not the nicest I've ever had, but better than about 90-95% of them (as far as construction goes).

1.) CDT Audio KA-61CV.2 Cast frame, carbon fiber component Speaker System (front doors)
2.) CDT Audio CL-6CX.2 (rear seats) comes with spacers for rear speakers

+Quote Post
00 SS
post Dec 12 2020, 06:33 PM
Post #5

Experienced Member

I was thinking I liked the looks of the 2.5 kit. Not sure why, but seems like the best value to me.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Dec 12 2020, 11:16 PM
Post #6

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (00 SS @ Dec 12 2020, 01:33 PM) *
I was thinking I liked the looks of the 2.5 kit. Not sure why, but seems like the best value to me.

They had some other packages when I ordered my stuff (as I remember), but they were great to deal with. I actually went to their site and found they have a passengers side subwoofer setup for a convertible. I emailed to ask for information about it. I may try one. I emailed with them about the speakers I bought and they were fast and efficient to deal with when I last talked to them.

Maybe I need to get those installed.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
00 SS
post Dec 13 2020, 12:06 AM
Post #7

Experienced Member

Yeah! Do it tomorrow and let me know if the sound as good as they seem like they should.😎

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Dec 13 2020, 02:32 AM
Post #8

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (00 SS @ Dec 12 2020, 07:06 PM) *
Yeah! Do it tomorrow and let me know if the sound as good as they seem like they should.😎

Considering I built a house, moved and now I'm a good ways through finishing the basement....and I've had the speakers sitting the whole time (they even moved with me to the new house, still in boxes....with the spacers stacked on top of them that are needed for installation). So, I might not hold my breath. lol.

+Quote Post
00 SS
post Dec 13 2020, 04:36 AM
Post #9

Experienced Member

Is that the second or third move some I've been in this board? We've been in this same house since 2005.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Dec 13 2020, 06:49 PM
Post #10

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (00 SS @ Dec 12 2020, 11:36 PM) *
Is that the second or third move some I've been in this board? We've been in this same house since 2005.

I was stuck in the last house for 14 years. I got divorced and then the market crashed and I was stuck until the market came back. So this is the first move from house to a new house. I think I was in an apartment when I purchased this board. So that would make this my 2nd move, 3rd address since I've owned the board. But I don't move too often.

I emailed Kee Audio and asked about their convertible sub enclosure. He advised that you have to remove the spare tire (nope) but he also has a 7" diameter sub tube that will fit up on the rear "package shelf" (above the gas tank, but in the convertible there's a plastic part there to protect the top when it's down). It looks like it could be attached with a "belt" and not take up too much space. I didn't know about it, but he mentioned it when he replied to my email today.

+Quote Post
00 SS
post Dec 13 2020, 09:07 PM
Post #11

Experienced Member

Cool, sounds like you have a plan for the vert. I just want good quality replacements while keeping a stock look. If the sound quality improves over what it was new as well, that's a bonus.

+Quote Post
BryanL
post Dec 15 2020, 02:08 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 1,710

I have some speakers you could have if you covered the shipping. I have never heard them but they look okay. Think it's just two for the rear but would have to look.

+Quote Post
00 SS
post Dec 15 2020, 08:17 PM
Post #13

Experienced Member

Thanks Bryan, I may take you up on that. I want to talk to the Kee Audio guys first. Upgrades are very tempting.

+Quote Post
00 SS
post Dec 26 2020, 11:39 PM
Post #14

Experienced Member

I order the Kee Audio level 2.5 kit. Just finished install. Sounds way better, but I had 2 blown speakers, so that wasn't a big accomplishment. However it does sound better than I ever remember it sounding and I'm happy with it. Install took a while, but I took my time and got it done. Not too hard, just tedious at times.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Dec 27 2020, 12:56 AM
Post #15

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (00 SS @ Dec 26 2020, 06:39 PM) *
I order the Kee Audio level 2.5 kit. Just finished install. Sounds way better, but I had 2 blown speakers, so that wasn't a big accomplishment. However it does sound better than I ever remember it sounding and I'm happy with it. Install took a while, but I took my time and got it done. Not too hard, just tedious at times.

Nice. Is there sufficient bass output? I was afraid of losing all the low end. Not that the monsoon system puts out good bass, but it puts out "something".

+Quote Post
00 SS
post Dec 27 2020, 04:52 AM
Post #16

Experienced Member

There is more low end than stock. I suppose "sufficient" is subjective, but it's enough for me. The biggest difference seems to be that it can go much louder cleanly without just sounding like shit. I was a bit surprised to see that the rear side panels in the cargo area were set up for component speakers even though the factory never installed them. They tape over the tweeter hole, The kit I bought just had the coax 4", but they do offer a component speaker for the rear.

This post has been edited by 00 SS: Dec 27 2020, 04:58 AM

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Dec 27 2020, 10:21 PM
Post #17

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (00 SS @ Dec 26 2020, 11:52 PM) *
There is more low end than stock. I suppose "sufficient" is subjective, but it's enough for me. The biggest difference seems to be that it can go much louder cleanly without just sounding like shit. I was a bit surprised to see that the rear side panels in the cargo area were set up for component speakers even though the factory never installed them. They tape over the tweeter hole, The kit I bought just had the coax 4", but they do offer a component speaker for the rear.

I laughed when I saw the rear speaker locations too. The Trans Am had 10 speakers instead of 8, I wondered if they used those openings.

Guess I better get mine installed soon then.

+Quote Post
00 SS
post Jan 1 2021, 04:33 AM
Post #18

Experienced Member

Get them installed yet? Just guessing that you had some time off for the holidays like I did. Should only take an afternoon to do.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jan 1 2021, 03:46 PM
Post #19

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (00 SS @ Dec 31 2020, 11:33 PM) *
Get them installed yet? Just guessing that you had some time off for the holidays like I did. Should only take an afternoon to do.

I was off work for a few weeks (I spent Thanksgiving week in the hospital with Covid) and I've been working a pile of overtime since I came back in an effort to get caught up (I'm "months" behind at work). The bigger issue is that I can't get the doors open in the garage without moving some stuff. Once I can get the doors open, it shouldn't be too bad. I was a professional car stereo installer in college and I was an avionics technician/installer after that. This is nothing I can't handle....as soon as I get time (I"ll pencil it in for 2022, you don't want to rush these things. lol).

+Quote Post
GCrites80s
post Jan 1 2021, 08:45 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 223,855

Wow, glad to see you made it through Covid. Sounds pretty serious if you were in the hospital for a week.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:40 AM