IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Solo PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.comUMI PerformanceHotpart.comUnbalanced Engineering
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> fiberglass hood vs stock, weight-wise
RedHardSupra
post May 19 2004, 08:29 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 121

I got a bolt-on ls1 firebird (no ws6) hood from VFN, and I dropped it off to my mechanic to fit it. He calls me up and asks me what's the point. I say weight, he says my stock hood IS fiberglass already and there's no point to replace it, unless I'm going to ram air hood.

Is this true? What's the weight of the stock one? the VFN hood i got is very light (13lbs) and while the stock hood doesn't feel heavy, but it doesn't feel like it's 13lbs either.
Confused and aggrevated,

Marcin
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
trackbird
post May 19 2004, 08:44 PM
Post #2

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

I am curious as well. I have been thinking about a 'glass hood lately for the same reason.

+Quote Post
rmackintosh
post May 19 2004, 09:18 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 27

I don't have the weights in front of me, but I believe the stock hood is above 30 lbs. , so at 14 lbs you are saving 15-20 lbs.

I would go for a more "agressive" looking hood if it was me though...

(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
rmackintosh
post May 19 2004, 09:21 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 27

I don't have the weights in front of me, but I believe the stock hood is above 30 lbs. , so at 14 lbs you are saving 15-20 lbs.

I would go for a more "agressive" looking hood if it was me though...

(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

...OK....I looked it up....it says stock hood with insulation etc. is 44 lbs....

(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
RedHardSupra
post May 19 2004, 09:24 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

I looked it up too on ls1tech someone compiled a big list of weight savings, and it says 30lbs for going stock->fiberglass, which sounds about right. Can anyone actually weight it?

+Quote Post
Ackattack
post May 20 2004, 12:16 AM
Post #6

Group: Members
Member No.: 329

the stock non ram air hood is metal, the SS, WS6, and firehawk hoods are all fiberglass

On my old car (T/A) I got hail damage on the three metal pieces on my car: 2 dents on hood and 1 on each rear fender (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

+Quote Post
prockbp
post May 20 2004, 12:18 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

all the gm hoods are steel

slp hoods are not steel

+Quote Post
RedHardSupra
post May 20 2004, 01:52 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Do we have any part numbers, or option codes, so I could tell my mechanic he's an idiot and just do as he's told? (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
lateapex
post May 20 2004, 02:37 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2

I suggest bringing a magnet to your mechanic’s shop. When it sticks to the OEM hood, he should be convinced that it is not fiberglass. If he feels the magnet clinging to the hood and still says that it is fiberglass, I would consider getting another mechanic.

+Quote Post
98_1LE
post May 20 2004, 03:03 AM
Post #10

Experienced Member

Member No.: 55

I have stuck magnets to the flat hood on my T/A.

+Quote Post
94bird
post May 20 2004, 03:13 AM
Post #11

Insert catch phrase here

Member No.: 20

Marcin, it sounds like you and your mechanic could very easily solve this disagreement if he has a scale. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) If you have a stock metal hood you should save at least 30 lbs. I got a pin-on VFN hood for my '94 but haven't installed it yet. Heck, I can fling this hood around with one hand. All you have to do is lift your stock hood with the help of the struts and you know it's a LOT heavier.

+Quote Post
00 Trans Ram
post May 20 2004, 03:17 AM
Post #12

Experienced Member

Member No.: 303

Wonder if there's a savings with my WS-6 hood. Only way that an aftermarket fiberglass one would be lighter is if it was thinner fiberglass. But, then I'd worry about stone strikes, strength at attachment points, etc.

+Quote Post
94bird
post May 20 2004, 03:36 AM
Post #13

Insert catch phrase here

Oh, I guarantee you the VFN hood is thinner and lighter than your stock WS6 hood, especially if you go with the pin-on version of the VFN hood. No OE would put this hood on their car to sell to the general public. They also sell a bolt-on hood which is heavier, but I bet it's only different where reinforcements are needed for the strut mountings and the front hook point.

+Quote Post
RedHardSupra
post May 20 2004, 05:07 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

I got the flat bolt on version, it's only 2 lbs heavier than the pin-on, so not much difference there. Since this is just a hood, vs stock hood (whether it's fibercarbon or metal), could there potentially be 30 lbs difference in sound dampening material + mounts + struts alone? ( since we don't know what does the 44lbs for the stock setup truly entails)

If all SS/WS6/Firehawk people have non-steel, would you have some sort of different codes/part numbers for it?
Could anyone with a 99 Formula (or equivalent) try to stick your fridge magnets to your hood really quick?
I really wanna stick it to my mechanic at this point, as my car been sitting in his shop for few days now.
Thanks for all the info so far, it's good to have all this 'ammunition'!

+Quote Post
98_1LE
post May 20 2004, 05:39 AM
Post #15

Experienced Member

Member No.: 55

Would you settle for a photo of my car with a magnet on the hood? I promise I would not put a sticker on my hood.

+Quote Post
94bird
post May 20 2004, 01:55 PM
Post #16

Insert catch phrase here

Interesting. For a '93-'97 Firebird the bolt-on hood is 23 lbs. vs. 11 lbs. for the pin-on hood. For a LS1 Firebird they show the same weight for both bolt-on and pin-on in their online catalog. Can't figure that one out. I'm suspecting a typo. You might want to weigh your glass hood Marcin.

+Quote Post
2manyfbods
post May 20 2004, 02:07 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 144

Would you settle for a photo of my car with a magnet on the hood? I promise I would not put a sticker on my hood.

Good Pic! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
DryStout
post May 20 2004, 02:37 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 38

QUOTE (RedHardSupra @ May 19 2004, 04:24 PM)
I looked it up too on ls1tech someone compiled a big list of weight savings, and it says 30lbs for going stock->fiberglass, which sounds about right.  Can anyone actually weight it?

Stock metal to stock composite delta is very close to 30 pounds. I have read several times over the last 7 years they weighed the two parts, and the difference they quote is consistent.

As others have said, if it is stock 4th gen hood and the car is not a SS or WS6 it is steel.

Sigh, you can tap on it and tell by the sound if the hood is steel or composite. The guy is a mech-what?

+Quote Post
CMC #37
post May 20 2004, 03:45 PM
Post #19

CMCer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 194

I would sure like to have a fiberglass hood on my 3rd gen CMC car. Does anyone know of a manufacturer who makes one that looks stock and not like something out of Knight Rider? (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

+Quote Post
trackbird
post May 20 2004, 03:58 PM
Post #20

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

I was sure that Harwood did one, but it looks like "did" is the word. They only show a couple cowl style hoods (I had a lift off on my '89 formula and it was not too bad looking, not that I'm a cowl hood fan, but there was a super victor under it and I needed the room).

http://shop.eharwood.com/cgi-bin/harwood/s...ANS+AM&x=27&y=8

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:56 AM