IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Blaine Fabrication.comHotpart.comUMI PerformanceSolo PerformanceUnbalanced Engineering
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> California Vacation, where to go
StanIROCZ
post Jan 17 2009, 02:25 PM
Post #1

Veteran Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,144

I know there are quite a few CA folks on the board here. The wife and I have 2 passes for free round trip airline tickets to anywhere in the continental US and we thought CA might be a fun place to go since neither of us have been there before.

Where should we go and what are the best attractions? Suggestions?

We're thinking early July for about a week.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rmackintosh
post Jan 17 2009, 05:18 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 27

I LOVE me some Yosemite.....ALWAYS beautiful......

+Quote Post
JKnight
post Jan 17 2009, 06:17 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 141

Yosemite is quite nice. I think it'll be packed in July.

I could make a strong case for Santa Barbara, but I'm quite biased. In reality, rooms are expensive here in the summer, as the Asians and Europeans are onto us. But we have wine tasting and oceans and it's cheaper than Napa. And less crowded than Napa. Sheet man, Napa's a pain in the ass nowadays.

Anyhow, I actually think you should check out San Diego. There's a ton of stuff to do there. They have a lot of nice breweries, they have wineries, they have the bay where you can tour carriers (I think) and take a half day boat fishing. There's Seaworld, there's karting, you might be able to check out Miramar Air Station?

What sort of things are you and the missus interested into? I'm sure us Californians can help you out.

Jason

+Quote Post
CMC #37
post Jan 17 2009, 06:19 PM
Post #4

CMCer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 194

I'd go to either San Francisco as my first destination or LA, as you can do many things close by from either of those places. In San Fran, you can go to Fisherman's Wharf, Alcatraz and Golden Gate Park (scenic + many museums). Then you can cruise down Highway 1 from there and check out the beautiful coast, down to Monterey (Laguna Seca), Carmel, then Santa Cruz and Big Sur, then further on down is Hearst Castle in Cambria, a really great stop and very good to go this time of year (not the tourist season). Incredible cruise from Northern CA.

In LA you can do the amusement park things (Magic Mountain, Disneyland), Universal Studios, the beach thing, Catalina Island (must do, very scenic, go by boat), great zoos and wild animal parks in San Diego.

The Napa wine country is out by me, I'm happy to take you on a tour! I'm near Sacramento, also happy to meet you guys and show you the City (San Fran).

+Quote Post
TSHACK
post Jan 17 2009, 08:54 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,094

QUOTE (CMC #37 @ Jan 17 2009, 10:19 AM) *
I'd go to either San Francisco as my first destination or LA, as you can do many things close by from either of those places. In San Fran, you can go to Fisherman's Wharf, Alcatraz and Golden Gate Park (scenic + many museums). Then you can cruise down Highway 1 from there and check out the beautiful coast, down to Monterey (Laguna Seca), Carmel, then Santa Cruz and Big Sur, then further on down is Hearst Castle in Cambria, a really great stop and very good to go this time of year (not the tourist season). Incredible cruise from Northern CA.

In LA you can do the amusement park things (Magic Mountain, Disneyland), Universal Studios, the beach thing, Catalina Island (must do, very scenic, go by boat), great zoos and wild animal parks in San Diego.

The Napa wine country is out by me, I'm happy to take you on a tour! I'm near Sacramento, also happy to meet you guys and show you the City (San Fran).

This is my vote. There's also lots to see north of the bay area, but they are a longer trips. Things like the redwoods, sea lion caves but thats way north. The S.F. bay & south of there is best for first trip (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) . The Fisherman's wharf is a must. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by TSHACK: Jan 17 2009, 08:55 PM

+Quote Post
cccbock
post Jan 17 2009, 09:01 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,113

QUOTE (StanIROCZ @ Jan 17 2009, 09:25 AM) *
I know there are quite a few CA folks on the board here. The wife and I have 2 passes for free round trip airline tickets to anywhere in the continental US and we thought CA might be a fun place to go since neither of us have been there before.

Great choice for a place to go. If you have a week, and the airline will accomodate you, I would recommend flying to San Francisco and leaving from San Diego.

If you are a National Park type, you MUST go to Yosemite, and Sequoia. these are DO NOT MISS destinations for nature lovers or outdoorsmen. And you are going at a good time of year (warm). Spend three days. Stay in the park if possible and budget allows. Then Make your way to Santa Barbara as mentioned by someone else, then to the greater LA area (next day). Make your LA rounds (Hollywood, Newport and Laguna Beach and proceed to San Diego before going home.

If not the NP type, rent a car and drive down the coast highway real slow (Carmel, Monterey...hide your wallet). Continue to Big Sur. Follow the coast highway to San Simeon (Hearst Castle...really cool) and then on to Santa Barbara then follow a similar trail as described above. There is no drive quite like this one....it will not disappoint.

If you are a "stay in one place" type traveller, I would recommend San Francisco, with day trips out to the wine country, Berkeley etc. Good food and fun...but a little on the expensive side.

Sounds like fun.

bock (not a Californian, but been there many times) folken

+Quote Post
poSSum
post Jan 17 2009, 10:26 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 892

Good choice.

We've only been that way a couple of times and it seems to be a typical ocean and mountain area. No matter where you go, it's spectacular. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
Rob Hood
post Jan 18 2009, 02:14 AM
Post #8

Experienced Member

Member No.: 130

If you go to LA, check out the Petersen Automobile Museum. They typically have an awesome display of automotive history.

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Jan 18 2009, 12:50 PM
Post #9

I build race cars

Member No.: 874

July will be a problem with any of the big name tourist places - they'll be booked, so plan way ahead if that's the plan. Yosemite is great, but moreso at midnite with a full moon. San Diego Wild Animal Park is more entertaining than the amusement parks. Ca has a lot of state parks and wilderness areas - if you're into hiking pick something not in a national park. Avoid the big cities, esp LA and SF - they are dirty and crowded. Santa Cruz, on the other hand, is wonderful ;-), and is on Hwy 1 - definitely drive it from Cambria north. Take in a club race - check the schedules, hook up with someone for a ride on one of our great tracks.

This post has been edited by Blainefab: Jan 18 2009, 09:39 PM

+Quote Post
StanIROCZ
post Jan 18 2009, 04:36 PM
Post #10

Veteran Member

Lots of good info here everyone. Thank you. We're still trying to wrap my head around all of it. Thanks for the offer on the tour, Julie.

We prefer nature over concrete, for sure (I can't stand New York, for example). Wife wants to see Hollywood, though. Breweries and Wineries are definitely at the top of the list. Hwy 1 sounds like our style. We'll have to see if the airline will let us fly into one city and out another. It sounds like Hwy 1 would be at least a 2 day trip if we want to enjoy it. It'd be nice to camp for a couple nights but it would be expensive to bring just the basic camping gear on the airplane. Or we could just stop by Walmart and spend $50 and get what we need and not bring it back with us.

Looks like Yosemite is a pretty expensive place to say. $112/ night to stay in a tent? $5xx for a hotel?

I remember seeing pictures of my Grandparents next to some of the Redwoods. That would be cool.

Laguna Seca would be sweet. Thats one track that sticks out in my mind from Grand Turismo. I gotta be careful though, cause if I'm like ReEntryRacer I might have to haul the Camaro out there once.

The wife is checking out the hotel stuff. Mom has timeshare points too, so that could help out if she has some to spare.

Generally on our vacations we like to spend most of the days being busy but save a couple days to relax. We try and avoid tourist traps ($12 here, $20 there). The free stuff like hikes and views are the stuff we enjoy the most. We'll usually make our own breakfast, pack lunch, and then have dinner at good/fun restaurant.

+Quote Post
FS 320
post Jan 18 2009, 06:09 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 242

QUOTE (StanIROCZ @ Jan 18 2009, 10:36 AM) *
Breweries and Wineries are definitely at the top of the list.

Does Anchor Brewing and Distilling (San Francisco) have tours and/or a tasting room? (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/drink.gif)

Jim

+Quote Post
CMC #37
post Jan 18 2009, 06:33 PM
Post #12

CMCer

Not sure about tours at Anchor Steam, you'd have to contact them. I do know the Bud brewery in Fairfield has an extensive tour that I would like to go on. As far as Napa, they all charge for tastings and tours generally cost something too. Some tours you need reservations to do, so if you plan to go there pick your faves or I can recommend some. I went last summer on the paid tours and it has totally made Napa a much better experience since droves of folks are no longer there.

I'd recommend staying at Big Sur. The place is very peaceful, beautiful and affordable places can be found there. There's camping too, although I think that would be hard to pull off traveling by airplane with your gear.
Reason for edit: added some stuff

+Quote Post
TSHACK
post Jan 18 2009, 10:03 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 2,094

Stan
Some of the bigger outdoor outfitters rent camp gear too. Places like REI & a few others do. But it may be cheaper to buy from wally world, Then sell it or dump it. Or may be box upsome of your stuff & ship it to some one near were you want to camp. Then ship it home when your done. I'd be willing to get a three man( perfict for two) dome tent down there some how. Maybe if your meeting Julie, for the bay area stuff I could take it to Thunder Hill, To get it to her. If she would be willing to transfer it to you. Then maybe ship it back on the dog.
Terry

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Jan 18 2009, 10:10 PM
Post #14

I build race cars

Member No.: 874

Cruise around on Google Earth, with 'places of interest' and 'geographic web' enabled. Lots of camping/hiking. Monuments/State parks that I've enjoyed: Pinnacles, Big Basin, Henry Cowell, Nisene Marks, Henry Coe. Lots of smaller wineries in the Paso Robles and Santa Cruz areas with free tasting, but limited hours. Monterey Bay Aquarium would be cool, or a 1/2day ocean fishing jaunt - any town with a harbor will have boats with all the gear for rent. In my experience, the fishing gets better the further north you go. The views of the SF bay sights are great from a boat out of Berkeley - the fishing in the bay sucked, tho, and I'm not sure I'd eat a bay fish. The swell outside of the Golden Gate is 'interesting' if you're into roller coasters.

Hiking - hot, dry, lots of elevation change, so be prepared. Driving - we're putting you on the twistiest backroads we know, hopefully no issues with carsickness. Some of the surfaces are going to crap, but the grading of a lot of CA's secondary roads is great! Smooth radii, nicely cambered, up/down makes for satisfying driving even at legal speeds. Pick your rental car accordingly.

+Quote Post
ReEntryRacer
post Jan 19 2009, 06:25 AM
Post #15

ReEntryRacer

Member No.: 569

Laguna Seca would be sweet. Thats one track that sticks out in my mind from Grand Turismo. I gotta be careful though, cause if I'm like ReEntryRacer I might have to haul the Camaro out there once.

Come on now.... You know ya want it... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/burnout.gif)

This post has been edited by ReEntryRacer: Jan 19 2009, 06:28 AM

+Quote Post
StanIROCZ
post Jan 19 2009, 12:51 PM
Post #16

Veteran Member

QUOTE (ReEntryRacer @ Jan 19 2009, 01:25 AM) *

Come on now.... You know ya want it... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/burnout.gif)

Yeah, and that is EXACTLY THE PROBLEM!!!

What you did was pretty cool though, even if you didn't have the best day.

This post has been edited by StanIROCZ: Jan 19 2009, 12:52 PM

+Quote Post
marka
post Jan 19 2009, 03:03 PM
Post #17

Experienced Member

Member No.: 896

Howdy,

This isn't about CA, but its fairly close to CA...

If you haven't seen it before and like nature, I think the various canyon areas (Grand Canyon, Zion, etc.) are pretty darn cool. Fly into Las Vegas and spend a day or two there on your way in & out, coupled with a "driving vacation" around the canyon stuff & probably the Hoover Dam.

Its not CA, but you can sorta see it from there. :-)

Mark

+Quote Post
DRD T-bone
post Jan 21 2009, 02:54 PM
Post #18

Cheesehead!

Member No.: 1,355

I agree on the Yosemite trip, awesome sights! Last time I was there we stayed at a hotel outside of the park limits for something like 80 a night and walked down to the local bar and back. Those sequoias are just astounding!

+Quote Post
Pony Exp.305
post Jan 23 2009, 06:21 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 998

Why not go to Hawaii instead of CA... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/drink.gif) I had been to Hawaii many times. There have nice beaches and watch the NICE many asses and partying...

+Quote Post
CMC #37
post Jan 23 2009, 07:07 AM
Post #20

CMCer

I think the wife will really be into that! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/rotf.gif) (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

QUOTE (Pony Exp.305 @ Jan 23 2009, 01:21 AM) *
Why not go to Hawaii instead of CA... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/drink.gif) I had been to Hawaii many times. There have nice beaches and watch the NICE many asses and partying...

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 05:11 PM