IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Solo PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.comUnbalanced EngineeringHotpart.comUMI Performance

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> thinking of selling my formula for rx7/ls1, am i nuts?
2MCHPWR
post Jun 12 2005, 03:25 AM
Post #1

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 260

i don't know what i should do. my car is so nice, but i'm wanting to get the weight down, but i don't wanna mess up a sweet ride. the rx7's are 2800 lbs with the LS1.
i can sell my formula (heads/cam/12 bolt, 51k miles, ws6 hood, c5 brakes, recaros, koni's, etc) for $15k. buy a 93-95 rx7 roller for $5000, ls1 motor and t56 for $3000, and have hinson do the conversion for $7500.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nape
post Jun 12 2005, 07:54 AM
Post #2

Veteran Member

Member No.: 540

Not sure what the conversion entails, but I'd call you crazy if you had someone do the conversion for 1.5x the cost of the roller.

+Quote Post
sgarnett
post Jun 12 2005, 11:02 AM
Post #3

Seeking round tuits

Member No.: 33

I think the conversion is fairly well developed, and the bits you need cost way under $7.5K (not counting the donor drivetrain).

If I recall correctly, the LS1 drivetrain is actually a little lighter that the RX7TT drivetrain, so you actually save a little weight and improve weight distribution. The 3rd gen RX7 is already a great handling and fast car if you can keep it in the powerband with both turbos spooled. What it doesn't have is any bottom end torque.

The rotaries in general and probably the TT version in particular needs to be rebuilt fairly often. I think there's less to do when it does need a rebuild (primarily apex seals) but it's still going to be a pain. The LS1 should be a much longer lasting alternative, especially in such a light car.

Even if you leave the LS1 mostly stock, I would do something about oil control. Convert the PCV sysytem to use the LS6 valley cover, install a Canton pan if it will fit, and check the oil pickup for a damaged O-ring (see the TSB). I'd be tempted to at least install the LS6 conversion kit from Pace (may be a standard GM Performance kit - dunno).

A friend with an RX7TT keeps daydreaming about the same swap.

+Quote Post
2MCHPWR
post Jun 12 2005, 12:05 PM
Post #4

the motors weigh the same as far as i know. i would pay for the conversion because i have an 18 month old and a 1 month old. no time for wrenching. barely anytime for racing, but worth it.
there are a bunch of these conversions running around, most do drag racing though.

+Quote Post
Pilot
post Jun 12 2005, 02:30 PM
Post #5

Need More Afterburner

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 683

I know Brian Hinson... not very well, but I've met him and one of his coworkers, Lane. I picked up a Z28 hatch from them (it came from one of their donor cars) and I got a chance to take a look at their shop and some work that they were doing. They do some very beautiful work, but I'm not 100% sure how well they work as RR or AutoX cars. Due to the height of the LS1 compared to the rotary, they actually have to drop the engine 1.5"+ (I believe) in order to get it to clear the hood. For some reason, I was also thinking it entailed a new oil pan, but again I'm not 100% sure. Main reason I'm bringing this up is that I'm not sure how that compromises the structural integrity of the vehicle by relocating the engine with whatever method they use.

+Quote Post
2MCHPWR
post Jun 19 2005, 05:17 AM
Post #6

i'll let you know:

http://www.ponycars.net/rx7.htm

+Quote Post
sgarnett
post Jun 19 2005, 11:28 AM
Post #7

Seeking round tuits

Member No.: 33

Hmm, I think it will be easier to change the plugs in the RX7 than it was in the Formula. The radiator area looks a bit cramped, but as long as it works ....

Did you buy that car? If so, (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
souseless
post Jun 20 2005, 12:06 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 158

I like the idea but I would never spend that amount of money to have the work done. I know a guy that currently has a 302/t5 RX7 and a 383/T5 RX7. He bought both cars complete and between the two of them he spent less than 5k and that includes rebuilding the 302. By the way the 302 car is for sale. Go E Bay shopping. There are several of these that autox in our region but they never win. We also have a couple of very fast true e mod cars which by the way have the rotary motors and are close to the e mod weight minimum.

+Quote Post
2MCHPWR
post Jun 20 2005, 01:59 AM
Post #9

sean, yes i bought that car today. thanks!
i put more pics up. car is set up for drag racing, but i'll change that soon enough.

http://www.ponycars.net/rx7.htm

+Quote Post
robz71lm7
post Jun 20 2005, 04:20 PM
Post #10

Veteran Member

Member No.: 40

I know this is after the fact, but someone on a local board brought up that adding a LS1 although the same weight will increase the cg height over the rotary engine. How much of a difference is there? I'm curious. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
2MCHPWR
post Jul 10 2005, 09:56 PM
Post #11

i doubt it will make much difference. i bought a strut tower brace that doesn't fit without hitting the top of the intake. so the combo sits up higher slightly but that is just a plastic intake. the motor sits lower than the rotary.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2024 - 12:24 AM