IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
UMI PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.comUnbalanced EngineeringHotpart.comSolo Performance
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Welcome to the F-body Racing Forums
Chris 96 WS6
post Dec 23 2003, 03:42 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Member
Member No.: 1

Welcome Autocrossers and Road Racers.

This board came about because it seemed you guys needed a new home, and I had the opportunity to host a board free of charge to serve this purpose.

The board is hosted on the web account of the Middle Tennessee F-Body Association, our main page is http://www.mtfba.org and our own forums are at http://www.mtfba.org/forum.

A little background on me:

I am the Executive Director of the MTFBA (we don't have an elected president per se). In my day job I work for a government relations/lobbyist consulting firm in Nashville, TN. I have never autocrossed or road raced, but I have been dying too, just haven't had the chance yet.

Some of you will also remember me as the owner/operator of the short lived Nashville Speed & Performance web-based performance parts business. During that time I had the pleasure of being the exclusive retailer for Bob Bishop's (lateapex) C5 brake upgrade.

My thoughts for this message board are that you, the users, will help form it into what it will be. I envision a general discussion section, followed by some specific forums for Autocross and Road Racing respectively, then perhaps some technical discussions on suspension, chassis and braking. Basically I'd like to give you guys a more detailed discussion forum that breaks out the major topics in these two genres rather than lumping all of it into 1 forum.

I'd also like to get some sponsorships in here eventually, so if any vendors are reading, get in touch with me.

I'm going to have a good friend of mine, Lee Willmann, as the co-administrator here. Lee is the editor of MTFBA's quarterly newsletter and in his day job works with php and mySQL, so he is more of the technical expert whereas I am just the facilitator of things.

I also want the members to think of a name for this forum. I can inexpensively reserve a URL which can be directed straight to this board...I dunno...www.fbodyracing.net or something? So lets discuss that as well.

That's all for now, I'll check in from time to time, hopefully learn a lot from you guys and eventually meet some of you at a road racing or autoX event.

Chris Renner
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JKDZ28
post Dec 23 2003, 04:26 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

cool site chris, looks good

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Dec 23 2003, 04:27 PM
Post #3

Nothing says 'I love you.' like a box of Hydroshoks

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4

Thanks Chris for your efforts.

Who knows what will happen.

+Quote Post
lateapex
post Dec 23 2003, 04:42 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 2

Hi Chris

Thanks for your efforts to further our "non-competitive" racing community. I hope it takes off.

Your "User Agreement" forbids harassing posts. Well, thats got to go. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

As far as a name for the forum, how about fbodySWU which would stand for “steering wheel users”. The drag racers expect us to look down our noses at them, just a little. I wouldn’t want to disappoint them. Yea, I know many of us drag race. And some guys would probably start playing with a birthday present they got when they were 11 years old if they ran across it in the attic. JUST KIDDING!

I’m sure that if we used something like SWU, it wouldn’t take long for some creative “harasser” type to think of something non-flattering the letters could stand for. Maybe the name should just be something “straight forward” (oh no, there’s that drag racing thing again). (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

I hope everyone has a truly meaningful Christmas.

Bob Bishop

+Quote Post
Chris 96 WS6
post Dec 23 2003, 04:47 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Thanks Mitch, and welcome to Bob.

I happen to enjoy drag racing (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) But who knows, maybe you guys will get me hooked on road racing and I'll never look back? I'll be the first to admit that there is no real "driving" in drag racing, and for me its even less so since I drive an automatic equipped car!

Question, you guys want to lette Vette guys in here too? Any other platforms that would be suitable or do you like the idea of an F-body specific site?

+Quote Post
John_D.
post Dec 23 2003, 04:59 PM
Post #6

Engine and Tools Moderator

Member No.: 6

I like the idea of an f-body specific site, but I'm biased like that.... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Of course visitors that drive other cars (especially GM products) would be welcomed too.

+Quote Post
Chris 96 WS6
post Dec 23 2003, 05:02 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

So John, you're going to get me out to an AutoX event this year, right? Are the the local SCCA events held at the superspeedway or do they vary?

+Quote Post
John_D.
post Dec 23 2003, 05:11 PM
Post #8

Engine and Tools Moderator

Member No.: 6

QUOTE (Chris 96 WS6 @ Dec 23 2003, 05:02 PM)
So John, you're going to get me out to an AutoX event this year, right? Are the the local SCCA events held at the superspeedway or do they vary?

Sure thing!

They're at the superspeedway front parking lot, and usually every other Sunday, so a couple each month to choose from.

It's a blast just to see all the different cars running there. And to drive too of course!

+Quote Post
Absolut Speed
post Dec 23 2003, 05:15 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

I'm happy to see a dedicated autocross forum. So much is the same, but there are some differences in setups, and having just completed my first year autocrossing, I'm eager to read up on autocross setups without getting occasionally confused or contradicted from the needs and advice from road racers.

Not that I don't enjoy a track day occasionally! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
(IMG:http://63.164.215.74/autos/events/roadamerica2003/RA-myfirehawk-tn.jpg)

+Quote Post
LWillmann
post Dec 23 2003, 05:47 PM
Post #10

Co-Admin and PHP dude.

Member No.: 10

Hello all,

Just wanted to intruce myself. I am Lee Willmann, and as Chris already stated, I work with PHP and MySQL. I am also interested in all aspects of vehicle performance, so I'll probably be here pestering some of you for suspension advice...

At any rate, I'm glad that we can be part of the AutoX/RR community and look forward to whatever the future might hold.

+Quote Post
lateapex
post Dec 23 2003, 05:49 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Chris 96 WS6 @ Dec 23 2003, 04:47 PM)
Question, you guys want to lette Vette guys in here too?  Any other platforms that would be suitable or do you like the idea of an F-body specific site?

The Y body guys already have plenty of very good forums, but I think everyone should be welcome to enjoy our Fbody family. There are a few who have both F and Y bodies. If you wanted to expand, I would add a forum for Cadillac CTSv owners. Deliveries will probably start within a couple of weeks, and I would be very interested in the track abilities of the car and interacting with owners. I know that if there isn’t a competition forum set up for them already, there will be one and I’ll find it. I’m sure that more than a few owners will track their cars. If you have read any of the reports of the car at Nurburgring, you are aware that it isn’t too much slower than the ZO6 (considering it weighs 650 lbs more and is 10” taller). Heinricy lapped the Nordschleife course in 8:19, which is quicker than either BMW M car can do it.

Cadillacforums.com has a forum for the CTS, but nothing specific for the “V” version or road racing (I don’t imagine that it will be seriously AX’d). Just a wild idea.

Bob

+Quote Post
Nemesis
post Dec 23 2003, 05:51 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 9

*hello* ... is this thing on? (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Things look good around here Chris! I'll try to be involved when I can. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thanks for the effort!

+Quote Post
lateapex
post Dec 23 2003, 07:55 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Dear Mr. Administrator,

Don’t buy the used server that LS1.com is trying to sell. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Glad the board is back up.

On a technical point, it appears that “location” is not activated on your user profile screen. I guess people can put it in their sigs, but it is nice to know ahead of time when I am reading a post from one of those Texans so I can have my bulletproof vest cinched up. Of course, they are a lot friendlier at this time of the year. Really, Texas is the friendliest place that I have ever lived; you just don’t want to get on anyone’s bad side. Sum a nem racers frm roun’ Wylie chu tabacci en spit nails, all while dare trail-brakin en nudgin’ ya out der way. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Bob

+Quote Post
mjf454
post Dec 23 2003, 08:06 PM
Post #14

You're my chicane

Member No.: 13

Very cool site Chris, thank you. It will be nice to be in on something from the begining.

Mike.

+Quote Post
Chris 96 WS6
post Dec 23 2003, 08:46 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

I don't know what was up but we were down for 1/2 an hour or so. the Hostrocket.com servers must have been cranky or something.

I'll check on the location thing, I also like to know where people are from if they are willing to say.

+Quote Post
mjf454
post Dec 23 2003, 08:51 PM
Post #16

You're my chicane

Member No.: 13

I am fron L.A. And I wish I was in Utah.

+Quote Post
staticpike
post Dec 23 2003, 10:24 PM
Post #17

Group: Members
Member No.: 15

Nice site chris!

I'm only a v6 guy, but I dig my car and if I'm not ripping something apart I'm rading about it on the internet or so-so. I've never autocrossed either, but have had a strong urge to get into it for about a year now. Unfortuantely operational commitments of the US Navy have kept me out of the loop for most of the racing season (and away from my car unfortunately) but that all comes to an end in six months when my enlistment is up and I move from my present location in Seattle, WA to Cookeville, TN to go to school.

I too am in to drag racing, but I don't think I'd ever go to a full drag setup for the suspension just because it destroys the pleasure of the drive on the street. I'm all about the skill that comes with autocrossing and can't wait to get into it!

Others will know me as Pride at MTFBA.com and staticpike at CamaroV6.com. I look forward to becoming a regular around here and learning a thing or two! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

+Quote Post
Trance
post Dec 23 2003, 11:12 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 17

Very nice site you have here.

As for opening it up to other types of cars, I don't necessarily think it is a bad thing. Although the cars may be different in setup/suspension type, we can always learn from each other & share different ideas related to OT/RR/AX.

Now as long as we don't get people in here talking about street racing...

Steve

Typing this from Garland, TX

+Quote Post
Jon A
post Dec 23 2003, 11:51 PM
Post #19

Experienced Member

Member No.: 16

QUOTE (Chris 96 WS6 @ Dec 23 2003, 09:42 AM)
I'd also like to get some sponsorships in here eventually, so if any vendors are reading, get in touch with me.

Thanks for putting up the site, Chris. But isn't that how the trouble gets started in the first place?

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Dec 23 2003, 11:55 PM
Post #20

Guests

I know what you are saying, but here's the deal:

LS1.com won't let you say anything bad about their sponsors because they need the revenue. $150/mo x 30 sponsors = big revenue stream for them to line their pockets with.

This site doesn't need the money, so if we piss off a sponsor and they leave, so be it. To me it is truth above all else, and if a sponsor's product can't withstand the test of truth then I wouldn't want them as a sponor anyway.

So I wouldn't mind some specialty vendors as long as they understand being a sponsor does not make them immune to criticism.

---this is Chris 96 WS6 by the way...

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2024 - 06:09 PM