IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Blaine Fabrication.comUMI PerformanceSolo PerformanceUnbalanced EngineeringHotpart.com
29 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 19 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The new to me 2002 Z28 (convertible)
GCrites80s
post Apr 6 2017, 06:54 PM
Post #321

Advanced Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 223,855

QUOTE (trackbird @ Apr 6 2017, 08:26 AM) *
I smelled clutch a couple times, and I can only guess it's related to break in. I wasn't beating on it. It just seemed warm. I pulled into a parking lot and backed up a little, put it in first and eased forward (without brakes, so I just moved it forward from a slight backwards roll) and that seemed to be enough heat to give me a slight touch of clutch smell. I was easy on it, I've tried to be easy on it. Though I realized that I don't think we sprayed the protectant off of the pressure plate. Not sure how that happened, but I think we pulled it out of the box and installed it. I didn't even think about it at the time (not sure why, I've installed a "bunch" of clutches and never forgot that part before...but I don't remember actually doing it). So maybe I'm smelling something related to the oil cooking off.

Did we do that to mine? We'll know what the smell is if not!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Apr 6 2017, 07:34 PM
Post #322

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

QUOTE (GCrites80s @ Apr 6 2017, 02:54 PM) *
QUOTE (trackbird @ Apr 6 2017, 08:26 AM) *
I smelled clutch a couple times, and I can only guess it's related to break in. I wasn't beating on it. It just seemed warm. I pulled into a parking lot and backed up a little, put it in first and eased forward (without brakes, so I just moved it forward from a slight backwards roll) and that seemed to be enough heat to give me a slight touch of clutch smell. I was easy on it, I've tried to be easy on it. Though I realized that I don't think we sprayed the protectant off of the pressure plate. Not sure how that happened, but I think we pulled it out of the box and installed it. I didn't even think about it at the time (not sure why, I've installed a "bunch" of clutches and never forgot that part before...but I don't remember actually doing it). So maybe I'm smelling something related to the oil cooking off.

Did we do that to mine? We'll know what the smell is if not!

You have a new disk, but we are reusing the pressure plate. So it wasn't treated with protectant. They "oil" them in the box to keep them from rusting. I can't remember removing it. lol. It isn't much and I'm sure it will cook off. But I really can't believe I did that...or I think I did.

+Quote Post
GCrites80s
post Apr 6 2017, 09:23 PM
Post #323

Advanced Member

Member No.: 223,855

Oh that's right... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Apr 11 2017, 12:30 PM
Post #324

FRRAX Owner/Admin

My package has arrived and I should pick up the Stoptech brakes today. While we are continuing the theme of glorious overkill....I figured "why not?". I have a spare set of spindles that I can build them on and test fit my wheels. If that passes, I may toss them on the car. I was hoping to do the Rocketman hub adapters, new hubs, brakes and all the bushings and balljoints at one time. But I might do the brakes sooner. Also, these bolt to the LS1 spindles directly and don't require any cutting or modifications. So I should be able to do the upgrade without cutting on the car. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

And I ordered an ATI Superdamper with 10% underdrive, an ARP bolt as well as the tools to remove and install it. That stuff should be wandering in here slowly. I figure if I'm going to do it, I should do it while the radiator and water pump are out of the car. That's about as much room as you're ever going to have to do the job. A little extra HP and additional reliability...why not?

If Steve gets the dyno run information on his project soon, I can make a better decision regarding camshafts. But I think this thing needs a small cam and a cat back. I really liked the sound and HP from the Hooker cat back on the 2001 Camaro SS I had, but I wonder if it's a little loud for a convertible? (Wife friendly? I'd love the sound of it, but I don't want her mad that it's too loud for her with the top off). Someone suggested that I should look at Corsa? Does anybody have any input on a somewhat quiet cat back that still makes decent power? I don't need "900 hp", but convertibles are heavy and I'd eventually like 50-100 extra....just because. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Apr 12 2017, 12:45 PM
Post #325

Veteran Member

Member No.: 385

I believe we have a MagnaFlow exhaust system on our 95. Single 3" high-flow cat back to the crossways muffler after the diff. It's fairly loud, but is freakin' awesome with the top down, driving under overpasses with anything past 1/4 throttle. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

Although I don't find it that offensive when cruising with top down, or up, it's not what I'd call quiet. Luckily, it drowns out most of the squeaks and rattles your usual 4th Gen convertible. This IS behind a 381 cu. in. LT4 engine with probably 11.5 compression and long tubes, so it's trying to do a lot with not much.

+Quote Post
Steve91T
post Apr 12 2017, 01:33 PM
Post #326

Experienced Member

Member No.: 9,105

QUOTE (trackbird @ Apr 11 2017, 08:30 AM) *
My package has arrived and I should pick up the Stoptech brakes today. While we are continuing the theme of glorious overkill....I figured "why not?". I have a spare set of spindles that I can build them on and test fit my wheels. If that passes, I may toss them on the car. I was hoping to do the Rocketman hub adapters, new hubs, brakes and all the bushings and balljoints at one time. But I might do the brakes sooner. Also, these bolt to the LS1 spindles directly and don't require any cutting or modifications. So I should be able to do the upgrade without cutting on the car. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

And I ordered an ATI Superdamper with 10% underdrive, an ARP bolt as well as the tools to remove and install it. That stuff should be wandering in here slowly. I figure if I'm going to do it, I should do it while the radiator and water pump are out of the car. That's about as much room as you're ever going to have to do the job. A little extra HP and additional reliability...why not?

If Steve gets the dyno run information on his project soon, I can make a better decision regarding camshafts. But I think this thing needs a small cam and a cat back. I really liked the sound and HP from the Hooker cat back on the 2001 Camaro SS I had, but I wonder if it's a little loud for a convertible? (Wife friendly? I'd love the sound of it, but I don't want her mad that it's too loud for her with the top off). Someone suggested that I should look at Corsa? Does anybody have any input on a somewhat quiet cat back that still makes decent power? I don't need "900 hp", but convertibles are heavy and I'd eventually like 50-100 extra....just because. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

What's your definition of "soon"?

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Apr 12 2017, 01:42 PM
Post #327

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (Steve91T @ Apr 12 2017, 09:33 AM) *

"Sometime this summer"

I'm thinking about tossing it on a trailer and going to visit Jeff Creech at Carolina Automasters and letting them do the cam and tuning, and then enjoying some summer cruising down there before heading back home. Thought it might be a fun vacation. I could do a cam swap, but I'm not sure I really want to anymore. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) We rebuilt that LS2 a couple years ago, so I'm fairly familiar with the procedure. Just not sure I feel like tearing into it.

+Quote Post
Steve91T
post Apr 12 2017, 02:11 PM
Post #328

Experienced Member

QUOTE (trackbird @ Apr 12 2017, 09:42 AM) *
QUOTE (Steve91T @ Apr 12 2017, 09:33 AM) *

"Sometime this summer"

I'm thinking about tossing it on a trailer and going to visit Jeff Creech at Carolina Automasters and letting them do the cam and tuning, and then enjoying some summer cruising down there before heading back home. Thought it might be a fun vacation. I could do a cam swap, but I'm not sure I really want to anymore. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) We rebuilt that LS2 a couple years ago, so I'm fairly familiar with the procedure. Just not sure I feel like tearing into it.

I just called PCM, they are booked for tuning for a few months. But the scheduling lady is going to call me tomorrow to confirm that. I'm really hoping that since this isn't a full tune front scratch, they can squeeze us in sooner rather than later.

I'll let you know what they say.

+Quote Post
Steve91T
post Apr 12 2017, 02:17 PM
Post #329

Experienced Member

Hey another question, is it possible to, when rebuilding a T56, to change the 5th gear rating so something a little less "overdrive"?

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Apr 12 2017, 04:06 PM
Post #330

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (Steve91T @ Apr 12 2017, 10:17 AM) *
Hey another question, is it possible to, when rebuilding a T56, to change the 5th gear rating so something a little less "overdrive"?

Yes. But I'm not 100% sure what you need to do it. I know there are some ratio options out there for T56's. I'd probably call and ask the crew at the gearbox.org to quote you the prices.

+Quote Post
Steve91T
post Apr 12 2017, 04:44 PM
Post #331

Experienced Member

QUOTE (trackbird @ Apr 12 2017, 12:06 PM) *

Yes. But I'm not 100% sure what you need to do it. I know there are some ratio options out there for T56's. I'd probably call and ask the crew at the gearbox.org to quote you the prices.

It'll probably easier to just to make 4th work using 7000 RPM and maybe slightly increasing the tire diameter if I meed more speed.

I'll still give them a call and see what they say. Thought I'd ask I case you knew.

This post has been edited by Steve91T: Apr 12 2017, 04:45 PM

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Apr 12 2017, 06:24 PM
Post #332

FRRAX Owner/Admin

I think you'll need to change 5th and 6th as a "set", so I suspect it will be $$$. Might just take a little rear gear out of the car, go down to a 3.23 or something like that.

+Quote Post
79T/A
post Apr 12 2017, 10:38 PM
Post #333

Advanced Member

Member No.: 142,453

From what I gathered, you can't just swap in 5/6 from another trans like the mn12. That's a shame because a t56 with the mn12 5/6 would be killer.

Disappointed to hear about the aftermarket synchros not working well. I was hoping to save some money there.

+Quote Post
rocky
post Apr 12 2017, 11:55 PM
Post #334

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,032

Well my "kit" showed up today. I am not sure if it will be this weekend or not so be on the look out for my help thread lol. I was installing my longer wheel studs and found a lot worn to the point of I should replace it now instead of a month after it is running. Both wheel bearings are noisy brakes are worn and the caliper pins on the front bracket are frozen. I am ordering the adapters from Jim for the hubs. Wondering if I should go ahead and do the vette brake upgrade too. I feel your pain on where should I stop but while I am in here situation lol. I always said I would upgrade the parts as they went bad/worn out but I was not planning all at once

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Apr 13 2017, 10:55 AM
Post #335

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (rocky @ Apr 12 2017, 07:55 PM) *
Well my "kit" showed up today. I am not sure if it will be this weekend or not so be on the look out for my help thread lol.

Just yell. I'll try to help and I can flag down Racerdad for anything I can't answer (which may be a lot?). (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Both wheel bearings are noisy brakes are worn and the caliper pins on the front bracket are frozen.

I have two sets of bearings in the garage. OEM "seasoned" bearings. I haven't pulled them from the spindles yet, but I can likely sell you a set cheap if it helps you delay spending "real money" a while longer.

Wondering if I should go ahead and do the vette brake upgrade too. I feel your pain on where should I stop but while I am in here situation lol. I always said I would upgrade the parts as they went bad/worn out but I was not planning all at once.

The Corvette upgrade is a solid brake package. I sold those for a while. It's also nice because you can buy parts at any parts store in the US. It's all OEM stuff. I just bought those Stoptech brakes and I fear I may need to keep pads in the trunk....just in case (though I should be able to use Porsche brake pads...if I can find those in stock at Napa...lol).

Let me see if I can get the spare hubs loose, maybe you can do them cheap, do the brakes and delay the $700 in front (C5 race) wheel bearings for a while longer?

I know all about the "while I'm in here" budget. Trust me, you're playing my song. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/banghead.gif)

+Quote Post
rocky
post Apr 13 2017, 12:58 PM
Post #336

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,032

Thanks Kevin that would be a big help. I ordered the adapters last night since he only had one set not spoken for on this batch. I have been wanting to do the Corvette brakes for a while now. I was waiting on what I have to be worn out or something to fail. My bearings are tight but they have that wonderful click when I spin them by hand. I was happy and sad at the same time lol. I have never replaced these bearings. I bought the car with 53xxx miles it now has over 223xxx miles. They do not owe me anything 2 hpde's and a handlful of autox on them. I must be real slow compared to some due to the issues I have read a lot of people had lol. My stock replacement rear brakes should be here today. Hopefully have the trans out today too.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Apr 13 2017, 01:21 PM
Post #337

FRRAX Owner/Admin

If the bearings aren't growling or sloppy, I wouldn't worry about them. But let me get out to the garage and see what I've got. I have a set of C4 Corvette spindles with bearings on them (the C4 and F-body bearings are interchangeable). And I have some F-body spindles with bearings (though they are often harder to remove due to a tight fit and some rust...the Corvette spindles are aluminum).

+Quote Post
Steve91T
post Apr 13 2017, 01:27 PM
Post #338

Experienced Member

I have the C5 front brakes. I really like them. With cooling ducts, they work really well. Someday, I will upgrade to CTSV brakes once I switch to 18'.

+Quote Post
Racerdad916
post Apr 13 2017, 01:47 PM
Post #339

Full NVH

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,854

QUOTE (Steve91T @ Apr 12 2017, 12:44 PM) *
QUOTE (trackbird @ Apr 12 2017, 12:06 PM) *

It'll probably easier to just to make 4th work using 7000 RPM and maybe slightly increasing the tire diameter if I meed more speed.

I'll still give them a call and see what they say. Thought I'd ask I case you knew.

You definitely have to change them as a set because the 5/6 gear on the main shaft is one piece.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Apr 14 2017, 01:17 PM
Post #340

FRRAX Owner/Admin

I ordered harmonic balancer tools from Summit Racing. One is back ordered and the other shipped. It's this one:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-9001...CFRW2wAodZCgHLQ

I think I sent Steve there for the same tool.

The first one had the threads dinged pretty bad (I couldn't turn the tool past the damage by hand). So I contacted them and they gladly sent another one out and picked up the damaged one. The new one looks like it was used. I don't see actual signs of wrenches being used on it, just that it has the finish beat off of it in places and generally looks like hell. I think it will work. I don't really want to tell them to send me a 3rd one. I guess I should have run the first one back and fourth with an impact gun and been done with it.

I suspect they screw the tool together at the manufacturer and drop them in a bin. It looks like they damage each other with the threads from the jack screw. This one looks like someone beat on it with a chunk of all thread. lol. Oh well, as long as it installs my balancer....

+Quote Post

29 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 19 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:03 AM