IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Solo PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.comUMI PerformanceHotpart.comUnbalanced Engineering
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Axle upgrade package - axles, studs, nuts, Yukon/ARP/Dorman
Blainefab
post Jun 2 2007, 09:45 AM
Post #41

I build race cars

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 874

QUOTE (SStrokerAce @ Jun 2 2007, 01:09 AM) *
Alan,

Correct me here but I thought the difference was 26 and 28 spline axels for the LT vs LS cars.

I'm going to be getting some here soon, do you have the EVO axels from them as well or they still working on them for LS cars?

Bret

Nope - LT1 and LS1 axles have the same spline count: 28. Other than a slightly larger wheel hub OD on the LT1 axles, they are interchangeable.

The EVO series axles are also 28spline, and the same alloy as replacement series. The only differences I see from Superior's ad copy is that the EVO series are packaged in a kit with bearings and SAE studs.

For most of the folks here, the OEM dia, 12mm x 2.5" long ARP studs are fine, and bearings can be sourced locally if needed

My supplier lists the EVO kit only for the LT1, which would fit in a LS1 axle but the LS1 wheels would need to be opened up.

or,

I can drill out LS1 replacement series axles and press in SAE ARP studs. Let me know if you'd like a quote.

Here is Superior's description of the Replacement vs EVO series:

REPLACEMENT SERIES

These High Quality replacement axle shafts feature the same Superior alloy used in our Evolution Series axle kits, along with computer controlled induction heat treating resulting in a stronger, more durable axle shaft. All our shafts use a cold-formed rolled spline process that produces an axle spline up to 35% stronger than cut splines! These are direct replacement axle shafts. No modifications needed.

For extreme duty applications, front axles, or complete kits with bearings, studs etc., check out our Evolution Series kits.

EVOLUTION SERIES

These kits are designed and engineered in-house to be the best axles on the market! We've listened to our customers, and improved on the factory designs. Each axle or axle kit solves a specific problem for your customer, and are packaged installation ready with studs, bearings and seals. Many feature larger splines for extreme duty applications, and dual bolt patterns for upgrading to larger studs.
All our shafts use a cold-formed rolled spline process that produces an axle spline up to 35% stronger than cut splines!
Copyright ©2007, Superior Axle & Gear.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mojave
post Jun 2 2007, 12:27 PM
Post #42

I suck at the auto-x :(

Member No.: 727

QUOTE (SStrokerAce @ Jun 2 2007, 01:09 AM) *
Alan,

Correct me here but I thought the difference was 26 and 28 spline axels for the LT vs LS cars.

I'm going to be getting some here soon, do you have the EVO axels from them as well or they still working on them for LS cars?

Bret

90+ 3rd gens with the 10 bolt got 28 spline axles, and all 4th gens got 28 spline axles. The only cars with 26 splines were the early 3rd gens with the 10 bolt.

+Quote Post
sgarnett
post Jun 2 2007, 02:33 PM
Post #43

Seeking round tuits

Member No.: 33

Alan, do you have a C-clip and/or replacement axle handy that you could measure? I should receive an 8.5 oversize (slightly thicker) C-clip assortment kit in a few days for comparison. At this point, I think the clips were made for an 8.5 10 bolt. I'm not too optimistic that they'll fit a 7.5 axle(Stan's probably right), but it would sure be handy if they turn out to be interchangeable.

And on that topic, are the Superior axles set up with any less play than stock? In other words, did they cut the slots any farther outboard than stock?

This post has been edited by sgarnett: Jun 2 2007, 06:16 PM

+Quote Post
SStrokerAce
post Jun 2 2007, 06:04 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,646

Alan,

Thanks for that. Looks like your kit will be fine for me. I'll source a axel housing a pick up a T2R here in the future and give you a ring for axels and studs.

Bret

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Jun 2 2007, 08:36 PM
Post #45

I build race cars

Sean - I have a couple of OEM takeoff axles in the shop, I'll measure the grooves tonite. No Superior in stock, but I believe they are sized no differently than OEM. I installed a set at the shop and had to space the caliper brackets out .030" to get the PAB off the rotors.

Brett - Great! I keep the studs/nuts in stock, but not the axles - sometimes it takes a few weeks to get them in so get them ordered ahead of time.

This post has been edited by Blainefab: Jun 2 2007, 08:37 PM

+Quote Post
JaredT
post Jun 15 2007, 02:48 AM
Post #46

Member No.: 1,415

Cool, this deal is still going on. Think I'm finally ready to order some axles. Can you recalculate price to 50219?

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Jun 15 2007, 10:38 AM
Post #47

I build race cars

QUOTE (JaredT @ Jun 14 2007, 09:48 PM) *
Cool, this deal is still going on. Think I'm finally ready to order some axles. Can you recalculate price to 50219?

Jared - Axle package $205 + UPS Gnd shipping $42 = $247

PayPal to:
ablaine (at) cruzio (dot) com

Let me know what year your Fbod housing is when you order. Some of the axles are in stock at my dist, others are a week or two out.

Thanks!
Regards,
Alan Blaine
Blaine Fabrication
831 427-3296

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Aug 18 2007, 10:59 AM
Post #48

I build race cars

Superior raised their prices again, but I do have one pair of LS1 (fits LT1 cars too) axles in stock at the old price of $205 for the package, plus shipping. After this set sells the price goes up to $215 for the package.

Might be nice to have a set in the trailer at MidOhio ;-)

+Quote Post
supermac
post Aug 18 2007, 05:13 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 1,551

QUOTE (Blainefab @ Aug 18 2007, 04:59 AM) *
Superior raised their prices again, but I do have one pair of LS1 (fits LT1 cars too) axles in stock at the old price of $205 for the package, plus shipping. After this set sells the price goes up to $215 for the package.

Might be nice to have a set in the trailer at MidOhio ;-)

Alan,

And anyone else who might have experience with this. What is the failure possilbility on the stock axles? This is the only thing on my car I didn't replace on my car when I built it, basically is this a luxury item or a must have? I am getting some other stuff from Alan, maybe I should get these as well.

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Aug 18 2007, 08:07 PM
Post #50

I build race cars

QUOTE (supermac @ Aug 18 2007, 10:13 AM) *
And anyone else who might have experience with this. What is the failure possilbility on the stock axles?

Statistically by failures per mile driven, the probability is quite low, but given that we are on the high applied stress part of the curve, and the potential for a lot of collateral damage from axle failure and the resulting loss of control, it is a good item to replace periodically. Some failures have been right across the shaft at the wheel bearing seal, and others at the hub flange.

I've cracked a 4th gen axle, I'll take a pic tonite. I pulled it out mid season to do a diff upgrade and found the crack.

I've seen three 3rd gen axle failures on CMC cars: Julie Bergman, Dave Morin, and Nick Littleton. Dimensionally, the 3rd gen axles are no different than the 4th gen in the area of the failures, so it might be I've seen more 3rd gen failures because of the lighter weight of the cars, or age and time in high stress service.

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Aug 19 2007, 08:36 AM
Post #51

I build race cars

QUOTE (Blainefab @ Aug 18 2007, 01:07 PM) *
QUOTE (supermac @ Aug 18 2007, 10:13 AM) *
And anyone else who might have experience with this. What is the failure possilbility on the stock axles?

I've cracked a 4th gen axle, I'll take a pic tonite. I pulled it out mid season to do a diff upgrade and found the crack.

I added some pics of my cracked 4th gen axle to the opening post of this thread: pics here

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Aug 1 2008, 09:36 AM
Post #52

I build race cars

Superior raised prices again, and I just got cleaned out of my stock at the old price. New orders placed after 7/31/08 will be at $231, with ARP studs and Dorman nuts.

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Sep 14 2008, 11:06 AM
Post #53

I build race cars

For those waiting for axles, my shipment from Superior arrived, so prior orders will be shipping Monday.

My disti has stock again, also, so if you've been waiting to order, go ahead and PM me with your shipping ZIP code.

FYI, I've been backordered since March. If you were thinking about upgrading, I'd order them now, no telling how long this stock will last.

I have plenty of stock on the ARP studs (both 2.5" and 3.25" lengths) and Dorman lugnuts.

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Sep 19 2008, 10:44 PM
Post #54

I build race cars

Well, I spoke too soon - only one of my backordered pairs of axles were shipped. BUT, the good news is that my disti is accepting new orders again, so I just ordered 10 LS1 axles. They are claiming 9/26 ship date but I'm not going to hold my breath, nor take payments, till I see a tracking number.

For those folks that have been waiting, hopefully won't be much longer.

+Quote Post
sawedoff
post Sep 20 2008, 01:01 AM
Post #55

Member No.: 435

I'm kinda' interested but I'd need way better bearings if it's at all possible. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Sep 20 2008, 09:10 AM
Post #56

I build race cars

QUOTE (sawedoff @ Sep 19 2008, 06:01 PM) *
I'm kinda' interested but I'd need way better bearings if it's at all possible. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I could supply wheel bearings and seals, but probably would have to charge a little more than you could get them for at your local auto parts supply. Should cost under $30 for a pair of each.

Timken 8660S seal
Timken 5707 bearing

I have the bearing/seals in stock, let me know if you want me to include them, and what your ZIP code is for a quote.

+Quote Post
firehawkclone
post Sep 20 2008, 02:08 PM
Post #57

Grumpy

Member No.: 81

We already spoke, but just incase... put me down for a set Alan.

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Dec 19 2008, 09:46 PM
Post #58

I build race cars

QUOTE (Blainefab @ Sep 19 2008, 02:44 PM) *

OK, Superior says 1st week of Jan for my shipment of 12 LS1axles. I'm still not going to hold my breath or ask for payment yet, but if you need an axle package please watch this thread and be ready to PayPal me when I post a shipment confirmation. 6 axle packages will be available at the current price.

These will be LS1 axles - they fit LT1 and LS1 cars, both 3ch and 4ch ABS systems, with or without TCS. Package price with 2 axles, 10 ARP studs pressed in straight, and 10 Dorman lugnuts will stay at $231 + shipping for 6 package sets. After these 6 the package price is going up to $265.

This post has been edited by Blainefab: Dec 19 2008, 11:27 PM

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Jan 12 2009, 08:59 AM
Post #59

I build race cars

QUOTE (Blainefab @ Dec 19 2008, 01:46 PM) *
QUOTE (Blainefab @ Sep 19 2008, 02:44 PM) *

OK, Superior says 1st week of Jan for my shipment of 12 LS1axles. I'm still not going to hold my breath or ask for payment yet, but if you need an axle package please watch this thread and be ready to PayPal me when I post a shipment confirmation. 6 axle packages will be available at the current price.

These will be LS1 axles - they fit LT1 and LS1 cars, both 3ch and 4ch ABS systems, with or without TCS. Package price with 2 axles, 10 ARP studs pressed in straight, and 10 Dorman lugnuts will stay at $231 + shipping for 6 package sets. After these 6 the package price is going up to $265.

Superior pushed delivery out to 2nd week of Feb. Good thing I wasn't holding my breath.

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Feb 3 2009, 11:46 PM
Post #60

I build race cars

Finally the situation with Superior has been resolved - some good news, some bad news.

3rd gen 10bolt: Axle package is available, delivery approx 2weeks ARO, price is still $231 + UPS shipping and CA sales tax if shipped to CA address. Prices on other axles have been increasing dramatically , so if you think you want to upgrade this season I advise doing it soon. Package still includes 2 Superior axles, 10 ARP 2.5" long studs pressed in place, and 10 Dorman lug nuts. OEM thread size and pitch. Bearings/seals/longer studs, etc also available.

4th gen LT1 10bolt: Axle package is available, delivery approx 2weeks ARO, price has increased to $350 + UPS shipping and CA sales tax if shipped to CA address. Package still includes 2 Superior axles, 10 ARP 2.5" long studs pressed in place, and 10 Dorman lug nuts. OEM thread size and pitch. Bearings/seals/longer studs, etc also available.

4th gen LS1 10bolt: Superior has discontinued this axle. The LT1 axles will fit the LS1 cars by opening up the ID of OEM LS1 or Ybody wheels slightly with a drum sander. All LT1 wheels and most aftermarket wheels will fit without modification.

ARP studs, nuts for front, and hub centric wheel spacers are in stock and available.

To order or for more info, please PM me or Email me at ablaine (at) cruzio (dot) com or call me at the shop evenings PST 831 427-3296

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 05:25 PM