IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Unbalanced EngineeringSolo PerformanceUMI PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.comHotpart.com

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Don't know what to do, Bad heart and Dream dead
T.O.Dillinder
post Aug 31 2008, 08:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,167

I have recently found out after a barage of tests that I have some arteries partially blocked, and I have a rhythmic problem with my heart.
My Doc says no wheel to wheel racing. And for right now no track days. The new prescriptions are blood thinners and may cause problems when participating in a track day type outing even.
The kicker is I am halfway through a build. The firewall has been too modified for converting the car back for street duty.
My wife and I have been discussing what to do. And we just cant seem to find a happy solution.
Your advice would be much appreciated.

This post has been edited by T.O.Dillinder: Aug 31 2008, 08:09 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RVachon
post Aug 31 2008, 08:43 PM
Post #2

Angry White Man

Member No.: 1,404

Very sorry to hear about your health Todd. I know it would depress the heck out of me also.

Can't you just put the project on hold until you fix your health issues? You're health is more important than any race car, so take care of your health, and once that's a go, then resume the project.

+Quote Post
Spruill242
post Aug 31 2008, 08:43 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,237

Continue the build. 1- It will give you something to do to keep your mind off of everything going on during your " recovery " 2- When doc gives the OK you'll have a toy to take out and celebrate with.

Unless your farming the build out to someone else. At which point you probably need the money for further tests down the road. Thats when you just keep your eye open for a suitable track toy when you know your back on track health wise.

+Quote Post
nape
post Aug 31 2008, 08:51 PM
Post #4

Veteran Member

Member No.: 540

Build the car as funds allow, don't get down in the dumps, and just keep moving along.

Worst case scenario, you get to be the car owner and rent the car/split the cost with a hot shoe. It'll never make you rich but it'll keep you around the same crowd and doing the hobby you love.

That's the philosophy I have today if someone told me I couldn't drive tomorrow.

+Quote Post
Rob Hood
post Aug 31 2008, 10:04 PM
Post #5

Experienced Member

Member No.: 130

Did the doctor give a prognosis, i.e., any chance that the medicines and any other lifestyle changes (diet perhaps) will make the situation improve? Sorry to hear about it.

This post has been edited by Rob Hood: Aug 31 2008, 10:04 PM

+Quote Post
veinharvest
post Aug 31 2008, 11:30 PM
Post #6

Group: Members
Member No.: 872

Lurked for years, but this is too important to pass up. (2001 Camaro SS, trackdays with BMWCCA / ESP a-la Sam down the road from me.)

Millions of people across the US have heart disease- NOT the end of the road. Those are the ones that know about it. There are millions more who just don't know it yet. Look in the Pits at a dirt track across the nation, or worse yet the infield of Nascar. The US diet, family, Age, cholesterol, where you live, and bad luck all can lead to heart disease. Number one Disease in US = heart disease. That being said, "what you should do" Depends on the outcome in the next few weeks and what you've been through so far. Obviously you went to your family doc and then (hopefully) on to a Cardiologist because you and your wife were concerned about something. THat concern unfortunately led to 'something' instead of nothing. For the time being, continue your project with some reservation about strenuous activity, and give the racing some time off. If you have Shortness of breath or chest pain its your body telling you to stop doing what your doing. And please for the love of God, Don't keep taking nitro pills to get the lawn work done (Ask me how I know this happens)(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/banghead.gif) Besides You will definately need a hobby if your forced to stay home by your Doc anyway.
I'd love to hear more about what they really diagnosed you with and I may be able to shed some light on things for you. I'm assuming aspirin and plavix, or is it coumadin for Atrial Fibrillation? Angio? Stents? MAny possibilities cloud the mix.
How did the cards guys diagnose your "partial blockages?" Was is by Echocardiogram, CArdiac Catheterization, or CArdiac CT calcium score? The percentages are important as is your heart rhythm. Feel free to Email me or PM me if you want to. I do this everyday. bakted25 AT yahoo.com anytime.

Oh by the way, a few years ago, a Guy came to us in a similar situation except his blockages were Not partial. HE needed Bypass surgery which was uneventful and he was home in three days. After a month of cardiac rehab and a long time to heal his sternum he was back to racing 358 DIRT Modified. Basically He took a about a year off. The extremes are many and. SHe has a stake in this as well. Good luck to you

+Quote Post
sgarnett
post Sep 1 2008, 04:48 AM
Post #7

Seeking round tuits

Member No.: 33

I don't know anything about your condition or treatment options, but my wife just had part of a lung removed on Wednesday. Ever since she was diagnosed with advanced (metastatic) breast cancer, I've been expecting my motorsports activity to come crashing to a halt. So far that hasn't happened, but it will someday unless my daughter becomes interested when she's old enough. Meanwhile, it provides some welcome distraction, though I've cut back to mostly local events now.

Knowing that my involvement will decline, I've tried to avoid sliding too far down the slippery slope, and to keep the car in a condition that I can live with (or even detune slightly) to retire it to street driving. Recently, I picked up a C-Stock 99 Miata Sport, and while it's certainly not the track car that my Camaro is, it's a ton o' fun (actually not much over a ton) for daily driving.

Well, you already said your car is too far gone to return it to street duty. Half-built, you're going to have a hard time trading or selling it. So what the heck, keep building it, but keep your investment of time and money to whatever you enjoy doing, knowing that someday you may be selling the roller. Make it less about the destination and more about the journey. Who knows, someday you may find yourself with a car that's ready to run, and a ticker that's stable. Meanwhile, you might want to consider picking up something used that's fun to drive NOW, as-is, whatever that may be for you. Personally, I find a drive through the country (or even just home from work) with the top down to be very restorative.

You might also find it helpful to just shut the garage door for a month or so or six. You don't have to make any decisions today, at least regarding your car.

This post has been edited by sgarnett: Sep 1 2008, 05:05 AM

+Quote Post
CMC #37
post Sep 1 2008, 04:48 AM
Post #8

CMCer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 194

Definitely there is hope. There is a real tendency for those with heart issues to get depressed, so be aware of that and work on being healthy and happy.

+Quote Post
killer_bluebird
post Sep 1 2008, 01:19 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,010

Todd, A good friend of mine's dad had to had stents put in I think his blockage was very high. He is into motorcross and oviously had to give it up for a while, but bit over a year later he is doing it again in a limited bases and has recovered nicely, so there is hope. Hang in there and look at your options and long term prognosis. Meanwhile we will hold you up in prayer.

+Quote Post
firehawkclone
post Sep 1 2008, 01:37 PM
Post #10

Grumpy

Member No.: 81

Lots of good advice above. This is not the end of the world, It sounds like you've cought it early and can fix it with your doctor and life style changes!

You will be back in the seat soon!

Hang in there, be strong my freind!

+Quote Post
T.O.Dillinder
post Sep 1 2008, 03:19 PM
Post #11

Thank you all for you advice, prayers, and words of encouragement. It is just all of the uncertainties of the situation now that worries us.

Veinharvest, I'll be sending you an email later today or tomorrow.

We really do not want to get rid of the Camaro. There is a story behind it and we would like to finish the story.

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Sep 1 2008, 03:50 PM
Post #12

Veteran Member

Member No.: 385

Will you be undegoing bypass surgery, or stenting? If bypass, will you be going to Madison for the surgery? I hear they have a good program and pretty good perfusionists there. I also know one of the CRNAs, but I think she works mostly general surgery, and not cardiac cases. And don't let a cardiologist talk you into stenting if you really need bypass. The stuff they do can prevent bypass surgery down the road, if it is inevitable.

Yep, there will be some down time, usually the worst part is the vein harvest site (if they take it from the leg). There will be some healing of the sternum wound, too, before you can turn a wheel.

If wheel-to-wheel is completely out, how about solo when you get back on your feet? Build a CP car and you can have a WHOLE lot of fun, and your current build direction may not have to change that much. Additionally, you can continue the build while you recuperate.

And remember, Carrol Shelby had a full career after a heart _transplant_, and that was back when it was really a tough ordeal.

This post has been edited by CrashTestDummy: Sep 1 2008, 03:54 PM

+Quote Post
Spruill242
post Sep 1 2008, 04:25 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 2,237

I think depression really is the biggest thing you have to worry about. My father had a stroke a few months ago and that was the biggest thing with him. We had to keep watch on him, not because of his health really but because of the depression. e can't drive the car because of his arm and he has trouble working on the car. But I push him little and we joke about it to keep things on the lite side.

This is just a bump in the road brother, it may be rough getting over it but eventually it comes to an end.

+Quote Post
T.O.Dillinder
post Sep 1 2008, 04:26 PM
Post #14

The biggest worry at this point is the rythmic problem. My heart will skip beats especially hot and overstressed.
We are first will be using coumadin (sp?) to thin the blood some. After we get the dosage tweaked, then we will add in.. I forget the name, it is a medication that con dissolve the placque/fatty build up in the vein.
I would prefere to avoid surgery, and my doc and the cardio feel we can avoid surgery since we caught this early.
I am very bad with medical terms and procedures, so I apologize in advance for this.
I had a stress test done, choelesteral (254 by the way), and the test that they inject a fluid/die that shows your blood flow on a monitor. According to them this is where they found some partial blockage. I am going by what they say.
I am also on welbutran (sp?) to try to help in quit smoking. I have to ask the wife which choelesteral med I am taking. I think it is Zocor. I'll have to write all this stuff off from the bottles to get it right.
I have been trying to quit my last bad habit for the last four years. I have been weening myself and am down to just 8 cigarettes a day. I use to be a pack a day.
Now though I have to step that up and just quit smoking.
We are also working on a diet for me, and my exercise program to start we are looking at swimming laps. It is cool, and easy on the knees.

+Quote Post
rpoz-29
post Sep 1 2008, 09:05 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 22

I have a BP/Sugar/Prostate/Anxiety/Blood in urine/dizzy spells myself. One by one, they're getting better. Is the stress you mention physical, or mental? Heat has begun to kick my butt and that couple to either type of stress can be bad. I'm almost 53, at least 50 lbs overweight. My job is physical enough, but it's not cardio-vascular. The sugar, anxiety and BP is under control. The prostate is getting there, and the blood issue is better. I'm off sugar, way down on caffeine and alcohol. Dizziness is still unpredictable, but much less frequent. The point is that I got better, and I'm a lousy patient. All this crap was happening at the same time, and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me, and wanted the doctor to cure me immediately. My projects helped me keep the health issues off my mind, so DON'T sell the car! Do what the doctor says, (mine finally had enough of my not following orders and threatened to tell my wife!), and you'll be surprised how fast you're IN the car. Good luck!

This post has been edited by rpoz-29: Sep 1 2008, 09:20 PM

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Sep 1 2008, 09:08 PM
Post #16

Nothing says 'I love you.' like a box of Hydroshoks

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (T.O.Dillinder @ Aug 31 2008, 03:08 PM) *
My Doc says no wheel to wheel racing. And for right now no track days. The new prescriptions are blood thinners and may cause problems when participating in a track day type outing even.

QUOTE (T.O.Dillinder @ Sep 1 2008, 11:26 AM) *
The biggest worry at this point is the rythmic problem. My heart will skip beats especially hot and overstressed.

my exercise program to start we are looking at swimming laps. It is cool, and easy on the knees.

I hilighted those 3 sections because my family doc was reluctant to sign my license waiver because of the "dangers associated with racing". (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
I politely asked him if he preferred I sit on the couch and WATCH racing while eating chips and drinking beer. I think he understood at that point.

I am NOT suggesting you NOT follow your doctor's advice. But it's Wisconsin for crying out loud. It's "hot" 12.5 hours a year in Wisconsin. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/cool2.gif)

I think that sometimes doctors don't fully see the big picture. I doubt he would have curtailed your golf or tennis habit. But racing/ track days are too "whatever". (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Educate the man and continue stress relief with your car build.

QUOTE (sgarnett @ Aug 31 2008, 11:48 PM) *
my wife just had part of a lung removed on Wednesday.

I've wondered how she was doing, but didn't know how to ask.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of you.

+Quote Post
veinharvest
post Sep 1 2008, 11:20 PM
Post #17

Group: Members
Member No.: 872

Mitch - THis is Exactly what I was thinking, but couldn't think of a way to put it.

No offense to any Docs if they're around, but SOME do have a way of injecting their "morality" and beliefs into what they recommend. I work with a surgeon that races E30 BMWs and another one that was in a motorcycle crash. I'll bet you can guess what their bias is.

THis does not include smoking though. Everybody pa-lease quit that shit. Easy for me to say. Get your carbon monoxide from the car and save your money for beer.

T.O- Sounds like your problem is more about Atrial fibrillation and less about the blockage. Its not an inherantly dangerous rhythm in amongst itself, but does have its complications. I'll explain more when I hear from you. You're on the right track though with getting to where you want to be. You'll be kicking yourself up and down the block a year from now if you sold the car.

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Sep 1 2008, 11:38 PM
Post #18

Nothing says 'I love you.' like a box of Hydroshoks

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (veinharvest @ Sep 1 2008, 06:20 PM) *
Mitch - THis is Exactly what I was thinking, but couldn't think of a way to put it.

What I left out was that if the meds can cuase some issue, then by all means stay off the track ... don't sell the car, but get your health back to par and then carry on.

+Quote Post
T.O.Dillinder
post Sep 13 2008, 04:30 PM
Post #19

Just received the first round of bills OMG!!!!!!!!!
I have to sell the car. Many explatives inserted here!

+Quote Post
T.O.Dillinder
post Sep 13 2008, 05:39 PM
Post #20

I have some details in the classified section.
I will still continue with Hawk Motorsports for parts and accessories.
If things go O.K., I will be looking for a 1993 to 1996 Z-28/ Trans-AM in early March after we receive our tax returns.
That way I can still tinker and maybe get in a couple of HPDE type events once I get the all clear.
Recently a friend of mine let me borrow his 1996 Z-28 with T-Tops for a day, it was the best medicine.
Out on a country cruise with the wife and the t-tops off on a beautiful day. It sure lifted our spirits!
So with the bills, we felt it was the best option, sell the race car and in the spring get a nice 4th gen for cruising and some HPDEs here and there.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 09:15 AM