IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Hotpart.comBlaine Fabrication.comSolo PerformanceUMI PerformanceUnbalanced Engineering
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New toy - 2015 Silverado, Now, I need a few things for it...
trackbird
post Jul 6 2015, 12:42 PM
Post #1

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

I've been driving a Jeep Liberty for a couple years as my daily driver (and I've hated virtually every minute of it). Long story short, a 2105 Silverado crew cab followed me home this weekend (just in time for fireworks, my wife and I are both licensed "Exhibitors Assistants" (pyro techs) for professional shows). Within 12 hours of signing paperwork, we were hauling stuff around the site and driving through in 6" of soft muddy grass (oops). It's a truck, right?

I need a front license plate bracket. My truck came from out of state and what they gave me requires drilling holes in the bumper (I'd rather not due to rust concerns). Is there anything like the SLP bracket for the 4th gens that fits the new trucks?

I'm looking for a roll up (semi rigid/secure) tonneau cover.

Throttle response sucks, so I'm going to need a programmer to fix the throttle feel. I'm not worried about power (it makes enough for now), but the throttle could use some help. It opens really slow and then you start stabbing it to get it to move. I'm not a fan.

Has anybody fixed any of these issues? Tips, tricks or recommended parts?
Attached File(s)
Attached File  IMG_2739.JPG ( 49.02K ) Number of downloads: 44
Attached File  IMG_2735.JPG ( 32.42K ) Number of downloads: 24

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Jul 6 2015, 12:54 PM
Post #2

Veteran Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 385

Heh, my wife and I are pyrotechnical techs, too! We have the licenses to prove it! Small world, huh? This weekend was busy for us, too. I'm still trying to recover. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

The poor throttle response is part of the 'torque limiting' programming, that is really pulling most of the timing out of the engine to keep you from killing the spawn in the Prius in front of you at the light. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

We went with BlackBear Performance to tune our Tahoe, and Jason got rid of ALL of that lag. He uses EFI Live, so if you have that, you can easily update afterward with email tunes. I do not know what others use, though, or what works.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jul 6 2015, 01:14 PM
Post #3

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (CrashTestDummy @ Jul 6 2015, 08:54 AM) *
Heh, my wife and I are pyrotechnical techs, too! We have the licenses to prove it! Small world, huh? This weekend was busy for us, too. I'm still trying to recover. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

The poor throttle response is part of the 'torque limiting' programming, that is really pulling most of the timing out of the engine to keep you from killing the spawn in the Prius in front of you at the light. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

We went with BlackBear Performance to tune our Tahoe, and Jason got rid of ALL of that lag. He uses EFI Live, so if you have that, you can easily update afterward with email tunes. I do not know what others use, though, or what works.

Sweet! I figured there were more techs around here somewhere. We've been doing it for a few years now. We did a private show on Friday (a LARGE private show and they hired Journey to play the show in his backyard!?!?!?!?!) and then a municipal show (Chillicothe, Oh) on Sat. I'm still sore...

Funny you should say that, I ran over a Prius in my Jeep a few months ago (did I mention that here?) She made a right on red...and stopped after moving a few feet and didn't have her foot on the brake. It was my fault, I just touched the gas and hit her at 5 mph).

I want a tuner so I can swap it in and out before service. I'm not looking for power, just better throttle response (I jumped in our 4 cylinder Honda accord and "launched it" from stabbing the gas pedal like I've learned to do in the truck now...that's pretty sad).

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Jul 6 2015, 03:48 PM
Post #4

Veteran Member

My wife and I have been helping a friend for almost 20 years now. Saturday's show was at a local country club we've been at for about 11 years now, after the previous team pretty much blew themselves up (put a shell in the tube upside down) (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/banghead.gif)

This friend had been doing it for many years, and was doing shows when he was in a local Impala SS club we belonged to. Many of us from that club joined him. We'd make a club event out of it. Since a couple of the members were great cooks, we'd bring the BBQs, ice chests, families, set up, and have front row seats during the event. Afterwards, there was a legion of Impala SSs lighting the up the field during clean up. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

Back then, it was a manual event, we'd run a hand auger to dig the holes to drop 3", 4", 5" and 6" pipes into the ground. They served as the launch tubes. During the event, we'd drop the shells into the tubes, and one of us would run by with a road flare tied to a stick to light the fuse. Then you step to the next pipe and wait.... for the shell to go off. After that, a guy comes by and 'rakes' the remains out with a stick that has drywall screws driven into it. That keeps the next shell from being set off by the burning embers that are the remains of the last shell you set off.

I really miss those days, but what we do now is safer. When we manually-fired, the fuse you light has two burn rates, the tip burns at about an inch a second. It's about 3" long. The rest of the ~2' fuse burns at a rate of about 300'/sec. So you light the fuse, take two steps to the next pipe, and WHUMP! the shell goes off! 3" and 4" shells make a nice bang, the 5" and 6" shells take your breath away. Great, great fun!! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

We're electronic now, but it's a manual electronic show. We touch a 12v probe to the circuit running to the tubes on a trailer. It's about the same work, and we still have a very front-row-seat to the fun (especially when a shell short-shoots), but you're not up close and personal any more, and misfires are more common than before. We put 400 shells into the air in 29 minutes, not counting the 'grand finally'.

I understand about the tune, thing, though. You have a warranty. The Tahoe didn't, so I'm fine with that. The tuner doesn't lock his tunes, though, so if I want to get into that stuff, I can play with the tune we have, or swap it out for the old tune if necessary (he saved that to the hand-held tuner, so I have that, too). That is one of the nice things about BlackBear, is they'll save the factory tune, in case you have a warranty worry. You DO have to buy the EFI-Live package, though, which is a requirement of BlackBear, but since I already had it, I was only out the tune money (and he updated my way-out-of-date firmware for free!). IIRC, though, they can now tell if you have flashed the ECM (I'm guessing they keep a counter, so the dealer will compare the number of official times you've been flashed, vs. the counter), so that may be moot.

We got our truck tuned for 93, got the torque limiting tune removed, and got the shifts firmed up,and moved around a bit. It's a LOT better that way, and I was able to get almost 20 MPG on the highway with that tune. We kept AFM, as this isn't a race truck, no matter how my wife drives it. That annoying hesitation off the line is completely gone, which makes me a very happy driver.

+Quote Post
slowTA
post Jul 6 2015, 04:36 PM
Post #5

Experienced Member

Member No.: 331

I have a Bak-Flip cover on my truck, it's nice, mostly conveninet, but not water tight or cheap. I can sent pics if you want.

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Jul 6 2015, 04:49 PM
Post #6

Veteran Member

And it looks like my neighbor has one that slides on his Fjiord. 3 or 4 panels, and they look to slide under one another in one way or another. I'll try to see what brand he has when he gets back into town.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jul 6 2015, 05:10 PM
Post #7

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (CrashTestDummy @ Jul 6 2015, 11:48 AM) *
It's a LOT better that way, and I was able to get almost 20 MPG on the highway with that tune. We kept AFM, as this isn't a race truck, no matter how my wife drives it. That annoying hesitation off the line is completely gone, which makes me a very happy driver.

I averaged 20.5 (rolling 50 mile average) on our trips to fireworks this weekend. That's dead stock with under 500 miles on it. It's beating my Jeep in fuel economy and makes nearly double the HP. lol.

QUOTE (slowTA @ Jul 6 2015, 12:36 PM) *
I have a Bak-Flip cover on my truck, it's nice, mostly conveninet, but not water tight or cheap. I can sent pics if you want.

They have a roll up version that I'm considering. It has aluminum slats and rolls up (externally) and you secure it against the back window (in that area).

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Jul 7 2015, 01:36 PM
Post #8

Nothing says 'I love you.' like a box of Hydroshoks

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4

Bakflip F1 here.
Pricey, but extremely easy to use and very versatile.

(IMG:http://lawmotorsports.net/mw/Bakflip_F1_1.jpg)

Also an old man step ....

(IMG:http://lawmotorsports.net/mw/BedStep_1.jpg)

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jul 7 2015, 04:19 PM
Post #9

FRRAX Owner/Admin

How do you like the 3 panel version? How much water tends to get in (I know they leak somewhat)?

I wanted this style:

http://www.bakfliptonneaucover.com/revolver_x2

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Jul 7 2015, 05:34 PM
Post #10

I came close to ordering a roll-up version.
I was concerned that the tabs to stck out and into the bed to secure and latch the cover would be in the way or get beat up or reach out and grab me or my gear.
If you catch your leg or back on that, it will leave a mark and make you say bad words.

The panel type latches (at least on the F1) have clear side rails with nothing sticking out.

I will warn you about BAK Industries ... if you don;t purchase from an authorized dealer, there is no warranty.
You can save a couple hundred bucks by ordering through amazon or some other mail order house. But you will be on your own.
I had a latch issue and found that little nugget of information. It was an easy fix and cost a couple bux to do so at Home Depot.

During a decent rain, there is a trickle of water that leaks by when stationary. One channel on each side of the bed will be damp. It has to be a heavy, prolonged downpour for there to be any standing water. At speed, it isn't as bad.

Installation was easy.

As far as use, I've hauled one of these from Denton to near San Antonio (~300 miles) ...

https://www.allseasonsfeeders.com/ProductDi...84%a2_Broadcast

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jul 7 2015, 07:16 PM
Post #11

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Good info. Does it fold flat against the window? I usually tied things down at the front of the cab...but I worried about pulling things against it with ratchet straps.

Mine has the bumper corner steps (like the Avalanche). So I can skip the steps for now. And this is shorter than my old 3500 SRW (it was on factory 31" tires) so I can almost hop right to the tailgate.

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Jul 7 2015, 07:16 PM
Post #12

Is this model a didsplacement on demand model?
will the tuner you get defeat that?

I have a module that that plugs into the OBD2 port and defeats that option without leaving a footprint in the ECU.
I no longer need it ...

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jul 7 2015, 07:18 PM
Post #13

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (mitchntx @ Jul 7 2015, 03:16 PM) *
Is this model a didsplacement on demand model?
will the tuner you get defeat that?

I have a module that that plugs into the OBD2 port and defeats that option without leaving a footprint in the ECU.
I no longer need it ...

It is the displacement on demand (V4/V8) version. Honestly, it's so seamless in operation and it does appear to save fuel so I'm ok with leaving it operational (unless I find a reason not to). It isn't a flex fuel version, it's the straight 5.3 gas motor (355 hp/383 ft lbs).

Why did you kill that part?

+Quote Post
JJKJ
post Jul 7 2015, 07:28 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 223,772

I have one of the BAK roll-ups on my 15 Silverado. I think any of the BAK tonneaus are nice options; comes down to your preference on roll-up or folding. I have no complaints so far and am very happy with my purchase.

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Jul 7 2015, 07:45 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (trackbird @ Jul 7 2015, 02:18 PM) *
Why did you kill that part?

I have a Sierra max tow with a L94 motor (420/460) and 6 speed auto.
I bought the module because I was having lurching issues and was convinced it was the DoD.
Seems the DoD wasn't a part of the max tow, but on the Denali w/o max tow.

Turns out it was a bad throttle rheostat.
So I have this module with nothing to use it on.

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Jul 7 2015, 07:46 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (JJKJ @ Jul 7 2015, 02:28 PM) *
I have one of the BAK roll-ups on my 15 Silverado. I think any of the BAK tonneaus are nice options; comes down to your preference on roll-up or folding. I have no complaints so far and am very happy with my purchase.

Yup ... it was a coin toss

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jul 7 2015, 07:47 PM
Post #17

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Ah, that makes sense. That's a nice package. I forgot about the max tow, but I really don't need it. I'm sure I won't have 9,200 lbs on the back of this one. I only ever had 9,500 behind my old 3500. So I think this will do the trick for now.

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Jul 7 2015, 07:50 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (trackbird @ Jul 7 2015, 02:16 PM) *
Good info. Does it fold flat against the window? I usually tied things down at the front of the cab...but I worried about pulling things against it with ratchet straps.

Mine has the bumper corner steps (like the Avalanche). So I can skip the steps for now. And this is shorter than my old 3500 SRW (it was on factory 31" tires) so I can almost hop right to the tailgate.

No ... it covers a couple inches of the bed.

It has rubber pads that ride against the back glass. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
Not thrilled about that.

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Jul 7 2015, 07:52 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (trackbird @ Jul 7 2015, 02:47 PM) *
Ah, that makes sense. That's a nice package. I forgot about the max tow, but I really don't need it. I'm sure I won't have 9,200 lbs on the back of this one. I only ever had 9,500 behind my old 3500. So I think this will do the trick for now.

My camper weighs 7400 dry.

Doesn't take much gear and water to get close to the max.
More camper than I need for the lease, the price was right.

I get 20-22 on the hiway at 65 and 15.5 commuting.
And its speed limited the 92 ... I'm not out of 3rd ...

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jul 8 2015, 01:04 PM
Post #20

FRRAX Owner/Admin

That's a lot of camper. I could see how you could load that up and be over weight in a hurry. You still need food, clothes and ammo. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I'm seeing 21.5 (on the only trips we've taken) and I'm running about 15.5 commuting in the city. I can't really complain. My old 3500 only got 14.007 on one tank of fuel on the freeway. I usually got 8-12 out of it around town. This is nearly as much truck (as long as I don't need to drop 2 tons in the bed, this one won't do that) for my uses and the mileage is way better (and 4wd is nice, the last one was a 2wd).

92? I figured it was 106 (but I hadn't gone looking). I guess I'm getting old. I used to do the "very necessary top speed test" on every car. Never had my Jeep over 85-90 (which was likely as fast as it would go anyway...lol), never saw anything beyond 95-ish in my old truck (long story about an idiot kid while I was pulling a trailer). Haven't been over 85 in this one (and typically I look down and go "oops, didn't know I was running that fast" and then I slow and set the cruise).

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:59 PM