IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Hotpart.comSolo PerformanceUMI PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.comUnbalanced Engineering
6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New toy - 2015 Silverado, Now, I need a few things for it...
trackbird
post Apr 12 2017, 07:49 PM
Post #101

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

Might be worth a call to Bilstien to see what they can tell you about the differences. Oddly, they are within about $8 for the whole set of either shock. Fronts are like $115 for the 5100 and $98 for the 4600, but rears are $75 for the 5100 and $92 for the 4600. It doesn't make a lot of sense....or they really are different?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
KCG
post Jun 11 2017, 12:33 AM
Post #102

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 223,768

After some emails, I received a response from Bilstein. I asked what the differences were between the 4600 & 5100.
The 4600 are yellow painted
The 5100 are Zinc-plated

Their response on damping...

For your 2014 Chevy 1500 4x4 we have the 2 offerings you have stated.

The 4600 series – these are high quality replacement dampers for the user that intends on keeping the ride height factory. These are 46mm monotube design dampers that are valved specific for a factory spring with no additional pre-load.

The 5100 series – these are adjustable front dampers that are valved about 8-10% heavier on rebound and a hair lighter on compression to control the OEM spring when pre-loaded. Again they are 46mm motnotube design dampers that are specific to the application.

If the truck is equipped with a “max trailering” package and you are attempting to better the ride our 4600 series will feel much better than the 5100. The max trailering package rides a bit firm in comparison to the non max trailering due to the way it in sprung not dampened. With that said if you are to run the 5100 and pre-load the coil it will mimic an increased spring rate and therefore make the ride fell even “firmer”.

Thanks for your inquiry and hope this helps.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jun 11 2017, 08:12 PM
Post #103

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Good info. I wish I had a touch more rebound in my 4600s, but I'm not sure it's worth swapping them again...

I towed about 10 hours this week and the truck was much more settled with the new shocks. It's not perfect, but it's much better. Actually, the change was pretty significant.

+Quote Post
KCG
post Jun 14 2017, 05:50 PM
Post #104

Member No.: 223,768

If you decide to try the 5100's let me know. I might be interested in a slightly used set of 4600's ... plus FRRAX stickers of course

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jun 14 2017, 05:57 PM
Post #105

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (KCG @ Jun 14 2017, 01:50 PM) *
If you decide to try the 5100's let me know. I might be interested in a slightly used set of 4600's ... plus FRRAX stickers of course

After last weekend, I think they have 2,500 miles on them. lol. I'll keep you posted.

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Jun 14 2017, 07:46 PM
Post #106

Veteran Member

Member No.: 385

Not sure what model we ended up putting on our 2500HD, it's been a while. They were non-adjustable, though, so may be compatible with today's 4600's. They made a huge difference on an otherwise brand-spanking-new and totally-stock truck, especially when towing the 2700# car and heavy open trailer. We probably had 100 miles on the truck before I was under it with the wrenches, swapping out the shocks.

They're holding up well after 15 years of use. I hardly felt that blowout the other day. Well actually I DID feel that blowout (LR truck tire went KA-BLOOIE on the beltway, felt like someone had rear-ended me), but we were able to easily-control the truck and trailer off the road into a parking lot to make the tire change.

Man, did the traffic part when that happened! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

This post has been edited by CrashTestDummy: Jun 14 2017, 07:49 PM

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jun 15 2017, 11:47 AM
Post #107

FRRAX Owner/Admin

I purchased a TPMS programming tool so I can rotate my own tires...and so I could set the new ones. The shop that mounted them told me to bring it by and they'd do it. But when I called they said it would take a while to get to it. It's a 2 minute job, but I was likely to sit for two hours waiting for them to get to it. So, I now own the tool. I think it may do Ford and a few others too. I'll know when it's time to rotate the tires on my wife's new car.

Amazon sells the same tool. I bought this from gmpartsandtools.com (or something similar). It's the address in the owners manual for ordering such things. It was $60 plus freight and a little tax.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  IMG_8724.JPG ( 42.11K ) Number of downloads: 6

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Jun 15 2017, 01:11 PM
Post #108

Nothing says 'I love you.' like a box of Hydroshoks

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4

2013 GMC 4WD - crew - SB - 6.2 - max trailering

after about 10K miles on the stock shocks, I opted for the 5100s.

I honestly couldn't tell the difference on the C rated Generals that were the still the 17" stockers.

Moved to the 18" Z71 rims and 295 BFG TKOs (D rated) at about 40K. Ride is a lot rougher.
However, the truck does a lot better pulling my RV.

Has anyone installed a rear sway bar?

I have a Reese 12K WDH w/ sway control. But the trailer really pushes the truck around

Tires and shocks have helped incrementally. But still hasn't made that puckered feeling go away completely.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jun 15 2017, 02:10 PM
Post #109

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (mitchntx @ Jun 15 2017, 09:11 AM) *
2013 GMC 4WD - crew - SB - 6.2 - max trailering

after about 10K miles on the stock shocks, I opted for the 5100s.

I honestly couldn't tell the difference on the C rated Generals that were the still the 17" stockers.

Moved to the 18" Z71 rims and 295 BFG TKOs (D rated) at about 40K. Ride is a lot rougher.
However, the truck does a lot better pulling my RV.

Has anyone installed a rear sway bar?

I have a Reese 12K WDH w/ sway control. But the trailer really pushes the truck around

Tires and shocks have helped incrementally. But still hasn't made that puckered feeling go away completely.

I haven't done a rear bar on mine. My old 3500 had a 157" wheelbase and nothing pushed it around (24' enclosed trailer at over 9K didn't phase it). This truck has a 142" wheelbase (crew cab, short bed) and even the open trailer can push it around a bit. It's not bad, but once in a while you'll turn and feel the back end shift around as the trailer reacts and tries to push the truck straight. But that's only a 5,500-ish lb trailer and Camaro. Nothing like you're pulling.

+Quote Post
rocky
post Jun 15 2017, 04:57 PM
Post #110

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,032

QUOTE (trackbird @ Jun 15 2017, 07:47 AM) *
I purchased a TPMS programming tool so I can rotate my own tires...and so I could set the new ones. The shop that mounted them told me to bring it by and they'd do it. But when I called they said it would take a while to get to it. It's a 2 minute job, but I was likely to sit for two hours waiting for them to get to it. So, I now own the tool. I think it may do Ford and a few others too. I'll know when it's time to rotate the tires on my wife's new car.

Amazon sells the same tool. I bought this from gmpartsandtools.com (or something similar). It's the address in the owners manual for ordering such things. It was $60 plus freight and a little tax.

We have the same one here at work. Use quality batteries. I thought it was junk until I found out about the battery issue. A lot of newer GM vehicles can do the relearn through the dash buttons. I am not sure about other makes

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jun 15 2017, 05:12 PM
Post #111

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (rocky @ Jun 15 2017, 12:57 PM) *
We have the same one here at work. Use quality batteries. I thought it was junk until I found out about the battery issue. A lot of newer GM vehicles can do the relearn through the dash buttons. I am not sure about other makes

Mine requires the tool (or all the instructions I found indicated that it did). I thought there was a way to do it where you let 3 psi out of each tire, but no luck.

I fed it a brand new Duracell Pro-Cell 9 volt. Worked like a charm.

+Quote Post
rocky
post Jun 15 2017, 06:48 PM
Post #112

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,032

Ours has been ever since as well. Maybe they changed it. The newest van in my fleet is a 2014. I would have to double check that one but I think I can still do it by letting the air out

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jul 6 2017, 11:02 AM
Post #113

FRRAX Owner/Admin

My truck is in for service (seat "clunks" in some left hand corners like there is slop in the frame, TSB for the high frequency noise in AWD mode, the drivers door opened and something went "bang" and metal bits fell down into the door and the console lid release button is skewed like one of the springs inside broke), so I'm driving a 2017 Z71 extra cab short bed with the V6. This thing seems to get amazing mileage. It also "goes" at a stop sign when you poke the gas pedal. I didn't realize just how lazy my truck is (I hate the 6 speed automatic calibration on my truck). The Rancho shocks are certainly better than the non Z51 shocks. My butt tells me they have a little more compression than my Bilstien 4600 shocks and maybe a touch less (or similar) rebound. It seems to bounce off the sway bar in corners like my truck did, but not nearly as "bad" as mine did. Mine would just bounce like a pogo stick. This one seems to gently find the bar and bump back from it once or maybe twice. Mine would bounce 3-4 times. The AWD doesn't make the high frequency noise that mine is supposed to be getting fixed (TSB says to replace the transfer case controller).

There is more of a difference than I realized between the base shocks and the Rancho package on the Z71. I'm curious to drive mine again and see how it feels after I get a bit more used to this one.

+Quote Post
GCrites80s
post Jul 6 2017, 03:12 PM
Post #114

Advanced Member

Member No.: 223,855

Ha, when you were talking about getting shocks I was going to make a joke like, "Why'd you get Bilstiens when you coulda got Ranchos?" but I was thinking of white Rancho RS5000s from like 1989 with hot pink boots.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jul 6 2017, 05:33 PM
Post #115

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (GCrites80s @ Jul 6 2017, 11:12 AM) *
Ha, when you were talking about getting shocks I was going to make a joke like, "Why'd you get Bilstiens when you coulda got Ranchos?" but I was thinking of white Rancho RS5000s from like 1989 with hot pink boots.

These are likely RS5000 shocks. They are white with the red boots. But Rancho is made by Monroe (Tenneco automotive, they own dynomax and others) and most of my experience with them says they are crap shocks. So, I wasn't looking to put them on the truck. If it came with them, I might consider leaving them....at least for a while. If they started to "suck", I'd pull them off.

+Quote Post
Pranav
post Jul 7 2017, 01:51 AM
Post #116

Member No.: 141,541

I'm actually pondering the whole bilstein vs rancho thing right now.

I threw adjustable rancho RS9000s on the Tundra a couple of years ago cant quite get them set right. I feel like they just need a bit less compression at each setting (single adjustable knob).

Wondering if this thing will ride better with Bilsteins, but I lose the adjustment.

EDIT: Great got into a nice evening google trap. So I'll ask them about the 5100s in the rear vs 4600. Gotta do 4600 in the front as 5100s start with a 7/8" lift which I have no interest in doing.

This post has been edited by Pranav: Jul 7 2017, 03:08 AM

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jul 7 2017, 11:26 AM
Post #117

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (trackbird @ Jul 6 2017, 01:33 PM) *
QUOTE (GCrites80s @ Jul 6 2017, 11:12 AM) *

These are likely RS5000 shocks. They are white with the red boots. But Rancho is made by Monroe (Tenneco automotive, they own dynomax and others) and most of my experience with them says they are crap shocks. So, I wasn't looking to put them on the truck. If it came with them, I might consider leaving them....at least for a while. If they started to "suck", I'd pull them off.

I was incorrect, the Rancho shocks suck too. My wife is really sensitive to pitching motions (anything lacking rebound). Last night she was driving and we hit the expansion joint onto a bridge on the freeway, the truck bobbed a few times after the bump and she was instantly sick. This doesn't happen with the Bilstiens. The Rancho shocks seem to have a bit more rebound damping than the non Z71 shocks, but not enough. The truck still bounces 2-3 (or even 4) times after an expansion joint onto a bridge.

QUOTE (Pranav @ Jul 6 2017, 09:51 PM) *
I'm actually pondering the whole bilstein vs rancho thing right now.

I threw adjustable rancho RS9000s on the Tundra a couple of years ago cant quite get them set right. I feel like they just need a bit less compression at each setting (single adjustable knob).

Wondering if this thing will ride better with Bilsteins, but I lose the adjustment.

EDIT: Great got into a nice evening google trap. So I'll ask them about the 5100s in the rear vs 4600. Gotta do 4600 in the front as 5100s start with a 7/8" lift which I have no interest in doing.

I thought the 5100 shocks started at stock height? (Or I just assumed they did?).

+Quote Post
Pranav
post Jul 7 2017, 11:56 PM
Post #118

Member No.: 141,541

For GMs yes.

In the Toyota app they cut the lowest perch clip groove to raise the front 7/8", which I don't want to do.

I think I discovered a good shock setting on my rancho 9000s laat night that may keep me happy for now, but I'm looking into getting springs off the 14+ tundra as they apparently made a huge change in ride comfort, but that may be more due to shock valving.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jul 8 2017, 12:48 AM
Post #119

FRRAX Owner/Admin

I just picked my truck up from service. There is a TSB to replace the transfer case controller if you hear a high pitched noise in AWD setting. The 2015 and 2016 all did it, or all of them I was ever in (I kept trying them at the dealer to see if it was fixed). The front seat clunks occasionally around corners, there was a TSB for that. And the center console latch was twisted (like it has two springs and one broke) and they fixed that.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 10:37 AM