IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Unbalanced EngineeringSolo PerformanceHotpart.comBlaine Fabrication.comUMI Performance
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New toy - 2015 Silverado, Now, I need a few things for it...
StanIROCZ
post Aug 27 2015, 05:45 PM
Post #41

Veteran Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,144

I ordered this roll up tonneau cover: http://www.realtruck.com/truxport-tonneau-...2015Y856MA.html

4.5 stars and almost 700 reviews, made in the USA, and only $270 on sale.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
robz71lm7
post Sep 11 2015, 09:41 PM
Post #42

Veteran Member

Member No.: 40

QUOTE (trackbird @ Aug 23 2015, 08:12 PM) *
QUOTE (robz71lm7 @ Aug 23 2015, 04:22 PM) *
I bought a '14 Silverado last year. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

Glad to see you're still around! (or have I missed it when you've been here?)

I pulled the 8.5 number from my manual. I guess I'll start with 8 and see what the dipstick says. Good info, thanks!

I lurk. I really miss you guys. We should have a reunion one day or get together.

+Quote Post
robz71lm7
post Sep 11 2015, 09:44 PM
Post #43

Veteran Member

Member No.: 40

Also check out gm-trucks.com and get a catch can as your first mod.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Sep 12 2015, 12:16 AM
Post #44

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

QUOTE (robz71lm7 @ Sep 11 2015, 05:41 PM) *
QUOTE (trackbird @ Aug 23 2015, 08:12 PM) *
QUOTE (robz71lm7 @ Aug 23 2015, 04:22 PM) *
I bought a '14 Silverado last year. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

Glad to see you're still around! (or have I missed it when you've been here?)

I pulled the 8.5 number from my manual. I guess I'll start with 8 and see what the dipstick says. Good info, thanks!

I lurk. I really miss you guys. We should have a reunion one day or get together.

We can always go to the range again!

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Aug 26 2016, 01:24 PM
Post #45

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Well, it's been a bit over a year now. I figured it's a good time to come back and give an update.

The 4wd system is amazing. We've been shooting on my friends farm when the ground was super soft. It was soft enough that we were past the sidewalls of the tires (in mud deeper than the height of the tire sidewalls) and it never missed a beat. It didn't try to get stuck, never gave any indication that it wasn't going to just motor through. We didn't have mud all over the sides or anything, it wasn't "mudding" in the traditional sense. We were just out in grassy pastures that were so soft we sank 6-8" into the grass which quickly became mud. The AWD setting is great in winter, there's no binding of the AWD system in turns when you run out of snow, etc.

Fuel mileage is quite good. The "best 50 mile average" gauge is showing 22.1 mpg. That was run from rush hour in Columbus to about 60 miles east. I had the cruise set at 75, then 77 and finally 80 for the last 20 miles. I was in traffic and they seemed to be breaking some air for me, but I'll still take it.

I towed the Camaro home from Grand Rapids on a 1,700 lb open trailer and with the cruise set at 80 for a portion of the trip. I still saw about 15 mpg while towing the Camaro. That's pretty impressive. However, the factory shocks are junk. They were "bad" when I bought it but I tried to live with them. The trailer bounced the rear end off the bumpstops (or nearly so) at every expansion joint. It was awful. The truck has plenty of power (though I'll always take 200 more HP if anybody wants to build them that way), but the shocks are pathetic. I've been resisting the temptation to install some Bilstiens, but I think that's on the list for very soon (assuming I keep the truck). The integrated brake controller was flawless. It worked seamlessly. I was really impressed. I had a Tekonsha Prodigy in my last truck and it always seemed to have too much initial bite or to soft at first and too much as braking increased. It was still one of the best brake controllers out there, but it was never exactly "right". I never had trouble stopping the trailers (but my 3500 and my new truck both have pretty serious brakes), but the integrated system is the best brake controller I've ever used.

The tonneau cover has been great. However, the company that built it used screws that are just long enough for the "point" of the screw to hit the layer of metal below before getting tight. So, they stripped some of the fasteners to the point that they virtually fell out when I tried to adjust the latches on the cover. Then the "bars" that run across the center (with the release cables through them) have come loose. Just the second one actually, but it's fallen off a few times. Last night I put steel pop rivets in it and pulled the rusty screws out. I then emailed the company because it appears to have a 3 year warranty (far longer than I expected). I'll keep you posted.

The local Rhino liner shop did the Rhino liner. It's the thinnest Rhino liner I've ever seen. I had one in my old 3500 and it was indestructible, truly tough stuff. This one tears anytime I put something in it. I moved a 4 cubic foot dorm fridge and it tore holes through to the paint. I took it to back and they keep patching it with urethane (like you glue windshields in with). I contacted Rhino directly and they contacted the shop who called me for a meeting. When I got there, he offered to put urethane on the spots. Awesome. So, I'm actually thinking about trading this truck in and buying another one....and going to Line-X.

I still dislike the throttle response. I'm still not a fan of the transmission calibration and how it shifts. And I still have a high frequency noise when it's in 4WD or AWD mode (all of them have it, I've sat in 2016's and they have it too). GM has a TSB out on it, but only to say it doesn't hurt anything and they recognize it...but they have no fix. It's funny because my wife can't hear it, but I can. After years of loud car stereos and doing stereo competitions in my youth, I appear to still have pretty decent hearing.

Overall, I think it's the best truck in it's class (the Tundra gets crappy mileage and the Ecoboost doesn't seem to be living up to expectations either...and it costs a good bit more than the Silverado). It's just sad that it's not "better". With that said, I'm still watching for deals to buy another one.

And my wife has decided that I'm just not happy with anything when it comes to cars. Maybe she's right?

I probably shouldn't be so honest since it could wind up in the classifieds here at some point. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Aug 26 2016, 03:45 PM
Post #46

Veteran Member

Member No.: 385

Nice update. We're still enjoying our '02 GMC. Best truck I've ever owned. It just runs. I recently replaced the yellowing/hazing light lenses (headlights, turn signal, HMSL, and brake lights) and the thing looks new!! Those parts were pretty cheap, even from GM, so I figured that I'd do it now, so I have a few more years with the truck. I also installed LED all the way around. The headlights are awesome. I had to replace the flasher, though. The stupid thing is hidden under/in the dash, you have to take the freaking dash apart to replace it!! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/banghead.gif) Hell, it's easier to replace the cabin air filter.

Following your blockers is a great way to get MPG, although these newer GM trucks get great mileage. A friend recently replaced his '04 Chevy 1500 with a '16, and says the performance and mileage are night-and-day different. I think he's also netting upper-teens towing his BSP Vette to SCCA autocross events all over the country. His son had an Ecoboost Ford truck, and I think he sold it because loaded, it got worse mileage than a 4X4 extended cab F250. That, and his dad kept rubbing the mpg in. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

The Bilstiens are the way to go, no doubt about it. If you're going to keep the truck, get the yellow shocks on it. They were the first thing besides diesel we put on our truck. Heck, they may have been one of the last sales Arlen Strano made.

The throttle response and trans shifting is just a tune away, but GM will screw you then. We had our Tahoe tuned, and if they did nothing more than fix the 'torque management' the tune would have still been worth every dollar.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Aug 26 2016, 05:02 PM
Post #47

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (CrashTestDummy @ Aug 26 2016, 11:45 AM) *
The Bilstiens are the way to go, no doubt about it. If you're going to keep the truck, get the yellow shocks on it. They were the first thing besides diesel we put on our truck. Heck, they may have been one of the last sales Arlen Strano made.

My 2007 3500 Silverado had such awful shocks that I ordered Bilstiens from Sam at 600 miles and by 1,200 miles I had them installed. Best thing I did for that truck. At first there didn't seem to be shocks for this one, then the Bilstien 5100's appeared (nickel finish and some have two front perches in case you want to raise the front end) and now they show Bilstien 4600's for it (yellow bodies). Prices are about the same so I think I might go for nickel (it's pretty rust resistant). But I'm trying to find out about any internal or valving differences first.

Wow. I didn't realize it had been that long. I always loved talking to Arlyn. I think she became the adopted mom for hundreds of gearheads across the country. And she was always so proud of Sam, she always had a fun story about recent events and competitions.

+Quote Post
Steve91T
post Aug 26 2016, 05:29 PM
Post #48

Experienced Member

Member No.: 9,105

I just installed the 5100's on my 99 F250 Powerstroke. They look awesome. More importantly they are an amazing truck. Very heavy duty, which I need to control 33's and two very heavy axles. don't get me wrong, it still rides like an empty dump truck, but it finally doesn't hop all over the place.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Aug 26 2016, 06:56 PM
Post #49

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (Steve91T @ Aug 26 2016, 01:29 PM) *
I just installed the 5100's on my 99 F250 Powerstroke. They look awesome. More importantly they are an amazing truck. Very heavy duty, which I need to control 33's and two very heavy axles. don't get me wrong, it still rides like an empty dump truck, but it finally doesn't hop all over the place.

I installed new rear leaf springs and hangers on the back of a 2001 F250 in my driveway last weekend. I think the neighbors are still pissed about the noise. He added a leaf to them and ordered the upgraded springs. It's about 5" taller in the rear now. That was quite a job.

+Quote Post
slowTA
post Aug 27 2016, 10:22 AM
Post #50

Experienced Member

Member No.: 331

Thanks for the update as I'm looking for a new(er?) truck. But I will say that the 5100s will rust. I put them on my 2005 Silverado in 2011 or 2012 and they're looking pretty rough already. Granted I never wash the truck and the rest of it is rusty, but it seems like you may think the coating is better than you think. I might be able to post current pics later today if you're interested.

+Quote Post
Steve91T
post Aug 27 2016, 03:10 PM
Post #51

Experienced Member

QUOTE (trackbird @ Aug 26 2016, 02:56 PM) *
QUOTE (Steve91T @ Aug 26 2016, 01:29 PM) *

I installed new rear leaf springs and hangers on the back of a 2001 F250 in my driveway last weekend. I think the neighbors are still pissed about the noise. He added a leaf to them and ordered the upgraded springs. It's about 5" taller in the rear now. That was quite a job.

They are so heavy, aren't they? Someday when I find $2500 in the couch, I want to get the Firestone air bag kit. You remove all but the one main lead, install low psi air bags and long arms to control the axle. It has an onboard air compressor that automatically keeps the truck level by adjusting pressure. The ride when empty is apparently much much better. But you don't loose the ability to carry a ton of weight.

My friends call me when they need to move heavy things because their 1/2 tons can't do it. Pallets of bricks, 3 cubic yards of dirt or mulch. All weigh between 2 and 4 thousand pounds.

I love my truck but damn it's rough. It starts to smooth out with 500 lbs in the bed and really gets smooth with 1,000.

+Quote Post
Steve91T
post Aug 27 2016, 03:12 PM
Post #52

Experienced Member

QUOTE (slowTA @ Aug 27 2016, 06:22 AM) *
Thanks for the update as I'm looking for a new(er?) truck. But I will say that the 5100s will rust. I put them on my 2005 Silverado in 2011 or 2012 and they're looking pretty rough already. Granted I never wash the truck and the rest of it is rusty, but it seems like you may think the coating is better than you think. I might be able to post current pics later today if you're interested.

I've heard about that happening. I'm hoping that keeping them clean and the fact that the truck sees salted roads only a couple of times a year will help. Some people actually clear coat the bodies before installing. I may do that next time.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Aug 27 2016, 07:15 PM
Post #53

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (Steve91T @ Aug 27 2016, 11:10 AM) *
They are so heavy, aren't they? Someday when I find $2500 in the couch, I want to get the Firestone air bag kit. You remove all but the one main lead, install low psi air bags and long arms to control the axle. It has an onboard air compressor that automatically keeps the truck level by adjusting pressure. The ride when empty is apparently much much better. But you don't loose the ability to carry a ton of weight.

My friends call me when they need to move heavy things because their 1/2 tons can't do it. Pallets of bricks, 3 cubic yards of dirt or mulch. All weigh between 2 and 4 thousand pounds.

I love my truck but damn it's rough. It starts to smooth out with 500 lbs in the bed and really gets smooth with 1,000.

They were 126 lbs per spring. Plus helpers and hardware. It was an adventure. (This is the same truck we put a diesel crate motor in about 8 years ago).

I miss my 3500. It's nice when they can just drop a pallet of brick pavers or a pallet of bags of gravel in the back and you drive off. However, my 3500 Chevy rode far better than that 2001 F250. My truck was stiff, but it was Cadillac comfortable compared to the Ford. It was also a ton lighter. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

As for this truck, the Bilstien 5100's are cheaper than the 4600's (no clue why). So....since everything says they are internally the same, the 5100's will be my choice.

I received a response from Undercover about my tonneau. He's sending me out a repair kit with oversized screws. So I should at least get that fixed up soon.

+Quote Post
ar52kortlang
post Aug 28 2016, 03:30 AM
Post #54

Member No.: 223,854

I had a fully loaded 2014 z71 Tahoe and it did all right at best towing the Camaro.. not enough power. Picked up a 2016 Ram Rebel and its been doing a good job. Has factory air ride which makes hauling a trailer easier and been avg 16mpg..

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Aug 28 2016, 05:26 PM
Post #55

FRRAX Owner/Admin

This truck makes more power than my 2007 6 liter did. I pulled up an exit ramp (where you turn and go up hill from the road under the freeway). I was doing 70 mph a ways before the merge zone while pulling the Camaro. I could have merged at 80 or close to it. I mean, I'll ALWAYS take more power for towing, but I don't feel like this is particularly underpowered. My 3500 made "good"power, but this makes more. And the two trucks weigh within 100 lbs of each other empty.

Which engine did you get in the dodge?

+Quote Post
rocky
post Aug 29 2016, 04:24 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,032

I have a 2011 Silverado now. I may have to try these shocks too. Any suggestions on exhaust?

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Aug 29 2016, 08:20 PM
Post #57

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (rocky @ Aug 29 2016, 12:24 PM) *
I have a 2011 Silverado now. I may have to try these shocks too. Any suggestions on exhaust?

I put Bilstien 4600 shocks on my 2007 3500 and it's the best thing I did to that truck (my friend put them on his F250 and felt the same way). It's worth the upgrade.

I've never done an exhaust on my trucks. I didn't want the noise/drone. I considered it and left the stock exhaust. Though I'm sure someone here has to have changed theirs.

+Quote Post
Steve91T
post Aug 29 2016, 08:55 PM
Post #58

Experienced Member

On thedieselstop.com, they'll say the same thing about the shocks.

As far as the exhaust goes, do it once and do it right. Cherry Bombs

+Quote Post
rocky
post Aug 30 2016, 11:29 AM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,032

I am a little hesitant on exhaust because I do not want it to sound like a work boat like the rest of the trucks in my area. I hate trying to listen to sound clips. Hopefully I will hear one soon I like in person and I can ask the driver. Mine is a flex fuel truck. I have had it about a month. So far it tows ok with the 20' boat behind it. It is a little bouncy for my taste so I can guess it will be worse with the car. I'm not impressed with the e85 mileage at all but it does seem to run better with it

+Quote Post
Steve91T
post Aug 30 2016, 04:19 PM
Post #60

Experienced Member

I really like magnaflow's exhaust. They are very free flowing but their mufflers have a great sound that's actually pretty mellow.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:14 PM