IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Unbalanced EngineeringBlaine Fabrication.comUMI PerformanceHotpart.comSolo Performance

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Guy
Camaroguy22
post Aug 5 2008, 11:02 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,268

Hey what is up everyone in am new to the web site.

I need some help I live in Ohio and have a 2000 Camaro SS that I am starting to Autocross. I am new to the Autocross world as well an need some pointers. I am currently racing with a porsche club that holds there own events and I am a couple of seconds off there times. Could anyone tell me what upgrades I should start with to help me be more competitive?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sgarnett
post Aug 5 2008, 11:59 AM
Post #2

Seeking round tuits

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 33

Get a performance-oriented alignment. Assuming your car is stock, max out the negative camber (tires leaning toward the center of the car at the top, farther apart at the bottom), but keep it matched side to side. Then max out the caster to whatever you can get, again keeping it matched side-to-side. For now anyway, set the toe to zero. You will want to ask the alignment shop whether they will do custom specs first. Some will only align to the factory specs. If so, find another shop.

Assuming you are on street tires, set the front pressure to around 40 and the rear pressure to 30.

Attend an Evolution driving schoolas soon as you can. There's one coming up in Virginia if you can make it, or make a Halloween road trip to Florida. Otherwise, keep an eye on the schedule next spring for something closer. Meanwhile, ride along with some experienced drivers and have them ride along with you.

At this point, you could be in the fastest Porsche ever made and you would be several seconds behind. Seriously. What you need the most is seat time.

Later, the three biggest improvements you can make are the shocks, swaybars, and tires. Get a set of Koni shocks, a 35mm front swaybar, and unless you have a local street tire class you can run in (or possibly STU if your mods or lack thereof allow it), you'll eventually want race tires on a spare set of rims (they make horrible street tires).

There is disagreement on whether it is better to learn on race tires or street tires initially, because they handle different. However, once you go to race tires, life becomes a lot more expensive and complicated. For now, while others are spending their time swapping tires, spend your time walking the course as many times as possible in the morning. Walk it at least once with one of the experienced drivers, and at least once by yourself with as few people around as possible so you can see the course farther ahead without being distracted by conversation.

This post has been edited by sgarnett: Aug 5 2008, 12:04 PM

+Quote Post
killer_bluebird
post Aug 5 2008, 12:41 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,010

Where in Ohio are you at? There are several groups in the area and a few people here that run with them.

BTW, Welcome to the board!

This post has been edited by killer_bluebird: Aug 5 2008, 12:41 PM

+Quote Post
SSTAT
post Aug 5 2008, 01:18 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 369

QUOTE (Camaroguy22 @ Aug 5 2008, 05:02 AM) *
Hey what is up everyone in am new to the web site.

Could anyone tell me what upgrades I should start with to help me be more competitive?

Seat time! Welcome to the Board- Go to as many events as you can, and don't think you are married to one group, go with different groups (SCCA, NASA, PCA etc). You'll learn some interesting differences.

This post has been edited by SSTAT: Aug 5 2008, 01:22 PM

+Quote Post
Crazy Canuck
post Aug 5 2008, 01:56 PM
Post #5

North of the border

Group: Admin
Member No.: 177

welcome aboard.
OH... plenty of guys in the area that are on the board.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Aug 5 2008, 02:07 PM
Post #6

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Member No.: 196

I too am in Ohio, there are lots of us. Tell us where you are located and we can probably find you some local "guidance". I can't promise much, but we will do our best to help if we can.

+Quote Post
Bram
post Aug 5 2008, 06:21 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,251

QUOTE (trackbird @ Aug 5 2008, 10:07 AM) *
I too am in Ohio, there are lots of us. Tell us where you are located and we can probably find you some local "guidance". I can't promise much, but we will do our best to help if we can.

welcome,i'm kinda new here my self

+Quote Post
Camaroguy22
post Aug 5 2008, 07:30 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 2,268

Thanks everyone for the great response. I am in Columbus Ohio. I have talked with IPS Motorsports to get some input from them. If anyone know others that could help that would be great. I am also keeping my eyes open for other events to attend besides the PCA races. At the PCA events you get min. 6 runs I hear at a SCCA event you might get 3 is that true?

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Aug 5 2008, 08:35 PM
Post #9

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Member No.: 196

QUOTE (Camaroguy22 @ Aug 5 2008, 03:30 PM) *
Thanks everyone for the great response. I am in Columbus Ohio. I have talked with IPS Motorsports to get some input from them. If anyone know others that could help that would be great. I am also keeping my eyes open for other events to attend besides the PCA races. At the PCA events you get min. 6 runs I hear at a SCCA event you might get 3 is that true?

Uh, there are several of us in Columbus (myself included). www.ovr-scca.org click the autocross link and register for the event this weekend (Sunday I believe) at Cooper Stadium. I'm debating, I might show up in my 3rd gen, and I might not...

Based on my limited experience, I'm not sure IPS are the guys you need for a Camaro. But I could be wrong.

The typical SCCA event is 4-ish runs (3 on a bad day, 6 on a good day, 4-5 is common).

+Quote Post
Crazy Canuck
post Aug 5 2008, 08:55 PM
Post #10

North of the border

Member No.: 177

I'm thinking on being down there in September... you might get to meet some of the craziest Canucks around... lol
You'll love this crowd... amazing knowledge.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:06 PM