IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
UMI PerformanceHotpart.comUnbalanced EngineeringSolo PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.com
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What happened to FRRAX ?
RichJ
post Jun 11 2019, 12:19 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 183

QUOTE (Honda93 @ Jun 10 2019, 09:39 PM) *
I dunno. I really enjoyed owning the Camaro for the three years that I did, but I didn't enjoy the fact that the car was dead in FS and CAM-C compared to the new cars, and if none of you have tried them, they are SPECTACULAR!!! Both GM and Ford are putting together world-class sports cars, not just muscle cars. And, if I'm honest, a guy we compete with in the NNJR-SCCA just got a Camaro 2.0L 1LE and I'm very tempted to pay for some co-drives.

Nevertheless... I am impressed Taylor won ESP, but SP in general needs to go away or be dramatically consolidated as ST and CAM can take up that slack easily.

I still have my 1995 Z28 and plan to get it back on track in the next year after a 10 year hibernation. The new Camaros are awesome though not as gritty and raw when its time to race. I bought a V6 1LE in 2017 and traded it for a 2018 ZL1 last year. Incredible daily car but way too expensive and nice to risk on track. I hope this site keeps going. I’ve had my fourth gen for 22 years and am still wanting to keep improving it!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rentedmule
post Jun 11 2019, 12:20 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 223,947

I know I'm not going to win against a fully prepped new car with a good driver. It's still a lot of fun to raw time experienced drivers in new civic type-R's or mustangs in a basically full weight, 24 year old car that I invested a total of $5K in and was still able to comfortably drive 30 miles to the race. Those extra few seconds + glory aren't worth another $30K to me and I'm not a good enough driver to take advantage of it anyway.

I'd rather have 3 or 4 interesting cars that I can beat on and have fun with every day than 1 perfect car.

+Quote Post
landstuhltaylor
post Jun 11 2019, 03:19 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,587

QUOTE (Honda93 @ Jun 10 2019, 09:39 PM) *
Nevertheless... I am impressed Taylor won ESP, but SP in general needs to go away or be dramatically consolidated as ST and CAM can take up that slack easily.

No they can't. I would rather quit the sport than run full time on street tires

+Quote Post
langss
post Jun 14 2019, 11:19 PM
Post #44

Group: Members
Member No.: 397

I guess its fitting that I have been a member here since 04 and this is my first post. I don't exactly remember why I joined at that time, I was very active on LS1.com, and a few others, and I think what happened was there was a crash, and everybody on the other sites were PO'd that they lost the "Post Count". And then "Life" just sort of got in my way. Well life has a nasty habit of staying in the way and I'm trying to change that. So since it seems my other passions are becoming less attainable, I have decided to take a car that otherwise might have more value for its parts, and make it into something I can enjoy. The point I'm trying to make is people and circumstances change and sometimes life just puts the brakes on and one never makes the return trip. I am gathering parts to put together a track day car. I'm financially in a position where I can afford a trailer rental and the track day fee, and do this about four times a year. If it turns out I'm any good at it, I may dabble in other things, but for right now that's my plan. In all my searches, this site only came up (1) time, and that was a reference from LS1TECH. This might actually be a good thing. It would seem that as our society moves along, the ability to get along degrades, and I'm seeing more and more where experience is not appreciated. In closing this introduction, I just want to say I'm here to learn and if I don't post a lot its because I don't know enough to be helpful, not because I don't care. Thank You.

+Quote Post
rocky
post Jun 15 2019, 12:32 AM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,032

I love this site and everything I have learned from it. I hope it never goes away. I usually check once a day but the last month has been busy for me since I got a promotion and turned pulling wrenched back into a hobby. I was a little nervous when I started reading this thread. I’m glad to see it looks like it is staying.
I have priced the 6th gen 1LE and of course the ZL1 1LE. I am actually more worried about the cost of insurance for either one. Of the 2 I would go with the 1LE. I really like the look and price. Still got the 4th gen at the moment with no plans of getting rid of it

+Quote Post
roostmeyer
post Jun 19 2019, 06:11 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,727

Moving in the middle of a strut to SLA conversion was a huge mistake. Having young kids also take up a lot of time. I should've just bought a stock K-member to replaced the hacked up one and put my car back together until I had the the time to fabricate again. It would've made moving a lot simpler if nothing else. Fast forward over 2 years later I've finally got my garage setup well enough at the new place to get some work done. I've got a few more things to fix on my truck then I'm finally going to start working on the trans am again.

I'm looking forward to getting it back out there. I'll have to post some updates once I finish the k-member, hopefully before the weather gets too hot for the big window A/C unit to keep up.

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Jun 19 2019, 06:43 PM
Post #47

Veteran Member

Member No.: 385

I'll be interested in seeing that update, although still enjoying the strut front on ours just fine.

I find that if the shop can at least be dry, it makes a HUGE difference in working in either summer or winter. I could do great things in a 90-deg F room with 30% humidity vs. the 90/90 we're getting now, or 50/90 in the winter. The dehumidifying capability of an A/C unit is great, even if it doesn't cool things down that much.

+Quote Post
v7guy
post Jul 9 2019, 06:31 AM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

I've hauled or drove my firebird halfway across the county and then some. It's not going anywhere. Like others have mentioned, a lot of people seem to have gone to social media for some reason. I've been pretty concerned, at some point, this site would disappear like many others. It would be a shame since there is so much irreplaceable info here.
This was likely never going to be a big site just because most guys want to hit the drags. Making it handle is a foreign concept to many... when you put someone in the passenger seat and show them what these things can do it scares the ?$%^ out of them even if they can get a crack at the wheel. Forward acceleration is one thing and resisting sideways is another apparently LOL

Most things that can be asked has been. Most issues have been solved. This is a database basically. Even if opened up to the newer cars the growth would probably be slow just due to the focus of the cars as a drag vehicle.

I've been here through cross country moves, a marriage and divorce, birth of a child, setup of multiple shops. All while on this forum that I check sporadically with virtually no email notifications. I'll be here for a long time to come. Hopefully I'm in my long term shop and house now and things can continue to return to normal. I really don't want to move my welders and mill and lathe again LOL

Much thanks Kevin for keeping the lights on.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jul 10 2019, 01:17 AM
Post #49

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

QUOTE (v7guy @ Jul 9 2019, 02:31 AM) *
I've hauled or drove my firebird halfway across the county and then some. It's not going anywhere. Like others have mentioned, a lot of people seem to have gone to social media for some reason. I've been pretty concerned, at some point, this site would disappear like many others. It would be a shame since there is so much irreplaceable info here.
This was likely never going to be a big site just because most guys want to hit the drags. Making it handle is a foreign concept to many... when you put someone in the passenger seat and show them what these things can do it scares the ?$%^ out of them even if they can get a crack at the wheel. Forward acceleration is one thing and resisting sideways is another apparently LOL

Most things that can be asked has been. Most issues have been solved. This is a database basically. Even if opened up to the newer cars the growth would probably be slow just due to the focus of the cars as a drag vehicle.

I've been here through cross country moves, a marriage and divorce, birth of a child, setup of multiple shops. All while on this forum that I check sporadically with virtually no email notifications. I'll be here for a long time to come. Hopefully I'm in my long term shop and house now and things can continue to return to normal. I really don't want to move my welders and mill and lathe again LOL

Much thanks Kevin for keeping the lights on.

We are mostly a database at this point. If you can get the search to work, there's a lot of information here (besides a specific lowered PHB thread that turned into me making phone calls to the parties involved and a lot of people deleting a lot of good data....or maybe that was the decoupled torque arm thread. THere might have been more than one).

When I bought this board, I believe I was single/engaged. I've owned it through a marriage and the resulting divorce, some years of single/dating and into another marriage. I've realized that FRRAX has been one of my longest relationships. lol. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/nutkick.gif) So I don't plan to let it go anywhere. We used to get the click through links to northern tool and tire rack and they paid a small commission when people ordered things and used the links. Then they booted us from the program during a redesign and made everybody reapply...I never did. It was never much money, maybe a couple hundred dollars a year. Heck, when I bought stuff, I got commission on it so it was almost worth it as a discount. But it did a decent job of offsetting the costs. I should probably look into those programs again and see if we even qualify now that we don't get a million hits a week or whatever it was back then.

I've sorta considered buying one of the last of the C7's and selling the current Camaro. I'd love to keep both, but it's not really an option with the current amount of garage space. On the other hand, I took the Camaro out and picked up Racerdad916 the other night and we wandered out into the country and ran through some gears and beat on the Stoptech brakes for a while. It sure is fun to drive...

+Quote Post
langss
post Jul 10 2019, 04:36 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 397

Funny how life takes us to places we never thought of going. When I joined this Forum, I think LS1.com had just crashed and burned and everybody was looking for a new place to hang out. So I probably followed the rush....I honestly do not remember. I do know that the "Financial End" of the plans to restore one of my cars was well on track (at least as far as I knew) and then I decided the area where I was living had fallen far enough off the cliff, and it was time to find a new main ranch.....which could not have come at a worse time/better time (depending on one's perspective). And the funding stopped, while I just tried to hold onto everything I already had. So the car will never get restored, but it can be made safe and drive able....just not pretty, and I have another car that I think can provide me with an outlet, and use up most of the parts I have collected over the years. I made a referenced to it in my post above, so I'm glad to hear that I'm not to late to take advantage of the collective knowledge here.

+Quote Post
SS2win
post Jul 27 2019, 09:42 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 611

I check in every once in a while. Life has gotten in the way and so not much time for cars... looking to be back full on by next year

+Quote Post
nape
post Aug 16 2019, 02:30 AM
Post #52

Veteran Member

Member No.: 540

QUOTE (JimMueller @ May 24 2019, 02:27 PM) *
...Many of the regulars from when I first joined have seemed to disappear... Nape, Jon, Sean, Sam, Randy, and Mitch come to mind, and a certain mouse of ill repute.

Yeah, just a lot less time available these days. Since the "old days", I've got married, bought a house, got a dog, had two boys (well, my wife did (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ). I was still racing, just less than before. Still have the American Iron car, still fast. I finally got started putting my CMC car together spring 2018. It's probably 30% complete. I ran 4 events last year then work got busy in August and stayed that way through the end of the year.

Then, this spring, we bought a fixer-upper house with enough room for me to build a shop in the back. While fixing it up, found MASSIVE termite damage. Kitchen and bath remodel turned into a complete gut and a bunch of ship-in-a-bottle type wall replacement.

So, my life has been work, work on the house, and family 7 days a week since March. No racing this year and the house is probably going to eat the shop fund and it'll probably be almost summer next year before it's move-in ready. Don't worry though, work has got crazy busy again and I've been 5/10s to 6/12s (might go 7/12s (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) ), 80-120 miles away for about the last 8 weeks. Make hay while the sun shines, I'll sleep when I'm dead, etc.

My uncle passed away last year, but something he told me when I first started doing HPDE still rings true about racing, and this board: "Take time off if you have to. It (racing) might be different than when you left, but it'll always be there."

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Aug 16 2019, 11:34 PM
Post #53

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

QUOTE (nape @ Aug 15 2019, 10:30 PM) *
My uncle passed away last year, but something he told me when I first started doing HPDE still rings true about racing, and this board: "Take time off if you have to. It (racing) might be different than when you left, but it'll always be there."

I will do my best to keep it here. I've been debating buying a new Camaro, or maybe a C7 or eventually a C8....and maybe we can start to expand the tech. We just never really moved on from the 3rd gen/4th gen platforms. And honestly, I like them best.

+Quote Post
Hardrvin
post Sep 15 2019, 04:54 AM
Post #54

Member No.: 223,944

QUOTE (nape @ Aug 16 2019, 03:30 AM) *
No racing this year

No AI for me this year either which is depressing. Motor did something weird at the end of last year, and life took some odd turns in the spring. Plus I lived I a Marriott for the first 4 months.

Jeremy and Brad committed to next season. So I backed off C5 hunting and will give it a go.

And yes, FB for car info/tech sucks. I refuse to answer the same question over and over. “So is a BW/Garrett turbo really better than the eBay turbo?”

+Quote Post
NOT A TA
post Sep 15 2019, 04:38 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 61,643

I'm still here. I'm probably a bit older than the typical member here and my project took a major hit due to heart attack/surgery and other medical issues with no medical insurance so I haven't had any updates to post. I have been slowly working on it though and got a nice used carbon fiber rear wing on a deal this past week.

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Sep 16 2019, 02:31 AM
Post #56

Veteran Member

Member No.: 385

QUOTE (NOT A TA @ Sep 15 2019, 11:38 AM) *
I'm still here. I'm probably a bit older than the typical member here <SNIP>

I’d bet I could challenge that. But no matter how much you ache after an afternoon in the shop (and I am right now), it still beats any day in the office. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

+Quote Post
NOT A TA
post Sep 18 2019, 12:22 AM
Post #57

Member No.: 61,643

I'm lucky in that respect, still quite agile and do a lot of physical activity daily without the aches & pains most over 60 complain about. Heck I'm still the fastest kid in the neighborhood on my 20" BMX bike! ahahaha

+Quote Post
JBruin
post Oct 3 2019, 03:15 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 224,002

Hello everyone,

I am a new guy here. I began my search for information to make my Gen 4 handle best for HPDE events. Hit the big sites but felt left with not finding the information I wanted.
Through a post on LS1 read about this site. I sent the email and was accepted, Thank you.

I helped a friend put together a Gen 4 for HPDE events for 14 years helping and getting the occasional track time in his car. But divorce, dating, 2nd marriage, moving 700 miles south, starting over with work and life in general and 5 years later here we are.

My wife bought me a 1997 z28 because she liked the color and said I needed a fun car as a DD. That has gotten my interest to return to HPDE events with a car of my own.

I visit the site when I have questions or direction to go for suspension information. I don't need to post a question because of such a wealth of information in the threads and posts. I hope it doesn't go away for a long while. I am just getting started with my car.

Jack

+Quote Post
mikedamageinc
post Oct 3 2019, 07:46 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,551

QUOTE (JBruin @ Oct 3 2019, 11:15 AM) *
Hello everyone,

I am a new guy here. I began my search for information to make my Gen 4 handle best for HPDE events. Hit the big sites but felt left with not finding the information I wanted.
Through a post on LS1 read about this site. I sent the email and was accepted, Thank you.

I helped a friend put together a Gen 4 for HPDE events for 14 years helping and getting the occasional track time in his car. But divorce, dating, 2nd marriage, moving 700 miles south, starting over with work and life in general and 5 years later here we are.

My wife bought me a 1997 z28 because she liked the color and said I needed a fun car as a DD. That has gotten my interest to return to HPDE events with a car of my own.

I visit the site when I have questions or direction to go for suspension information. I don't need to post a question because of such a wealth of information in the threads and posts. I hope it doesn't go away for a long while. I am just getting started with my car.

Jack

Welcome, sounds like you got a good woman there! What's your location/usual tracks?

+Quote Post
JBruin
post Oct 10 2019, 03:03 AM
Post #60

Member No.: 224,002

Thank you for the Welcome.
I am in Bowling Green, Ky. I have yet to get on a track. I do know from talking with friends from Wisconsin I have many tracks within a decent driving distance besides NCM.
I am looking towards next year for myself and the car to be track ready.

Former tracks were Road America and Autobaun.

This post has been edited by JBruin: Oct 10 2019, 03:07 AM

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:26 PM