IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

UMI PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.comHotpart.comSolo PerformanceUnbalanced Engineering
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blaine Fab 4th gen front brake duct plenums, LS1, C5/C6, and now Wilwood, Stoptech, Baer
Blainefab
post Aug 16 2007, 02:39 PM
Post #1

I build race cars

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 874

OK, the Blaine Fab duct plenums are ready to order. Patterns are made, production alpha fits fine, materials are in stock, I'm cutting and welding all weekend so kits will be ready to ship next week.

All aluminum, TIG welded .100" and .065" thick 6061

New ARP hub fasteners included

3" stainless steel hose clamps included

The plenums will fit all known brand hubs EXCEPT the Timken newest wide body hub. I recommend SKF brand hubs.

Install is no more difficult than a hub swap - in fact easier, since the hubs do not need to be removed

Plenums fit tightly (approx 1mm clearance to rotor) to the entire inside diameter of the inner rotor cheek, forcing the cooling air into the internal vanes where it can cool both inner and outer rotor cheeks.

Cooling air also circulates around the hub, and the aluminum plenums act as heat sinks for the critical bearing area of the hub.

Accepts standard 3" brake ducting - ducting not included. Since most cars will already have ducts of some form installed, ducting is not included in the kit, but is available as an option, or may be sourced locally.

Immediate releases will be for 2 models: the LS1 caliper on LS1 upright, and C5 / base C6 caliper on a LT1 or LS1 upright using Trackbrackets or similar brackets. Duct plenum kits for other popular brake packages will be released soon. Custom and one-offs available, contact me for a quote

Each kit includes a left and right pair of duct plenums, all hardware necessary for the application and two 3" stainless steel band clamps.

Standard kit pricing:

LS1 on LT1/LS1: $355 plus shipping and CA sales tax if applicable

C5 / base C6 on LT1/LS: $295 plus shipping and CA sales tax if applicable

4th gen Fbody with Dulaney brackets: $355 plus shipping and CA sales tax if applicable

Payment via PayPal is preferred - call me at 831 427-3296, email, or PM me with model and ZIP for shipping quote, then PayPal to: ablaine (at) cruzio (dot) com

Some pix:

(IMG:http://www.skyhighway.com/~bfpix2/IMG_1436.JPG)

(IMG:http://www.skyhighway.com/~bfpix2/IMG_1437.JPG)

(IMG:http://www.skyhighway.com/~bfpix2/IMG_1442.JPG)

(IMG:http://www.skyhighway.com/~bfpix2/IMG_1447.JPG)

Recommended duct routing and things that help them survive:

shorten swaybar endlink till bar ends are parallel to track, then trim top of bolt end.

Wrap duct with gaffers tape where it passes thru the inner fender liner, where the tire tends to rub, and at the endlink.

Avoid full lock steering

squish the duct about 1/2" at the point where the tire will rub - add a wrap or 2 of gaffers tape here as wear happens

use wheel spacers to increase track width

Duct in pics has been in service for a full CMC season:

(IMG:http://www.skyhighway.com/~bfpix2/IMG_1441.JPG)

edti: intro offer expired

edit: price increase 5/22/2014

This post has been edited by Blainefab: Oct 6 2017, 07:14 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rmackintosh
post Aug 16 2007, 03:23 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 27

QUOTE (Blainefab @ Aug 16 2007, 09:39 AM) *
OK, the Blaine Fab duct plenums are ready to order. Patterns are made, production alpha fits fine, materials are in stock, I'm cutting and welding all weekend so kits will be ready to ship next week.

All aluminum, TIG welded .100" and .065" thick 6061

New ARP hub fasteners included

3" stainless steel hose clamps included

Install is no more difficult than a hub swap - in fact easier, since the hubs do not need to be removed

Plenums fit tightly (approx 1mm clearance to rotor) to the entire inside diameter of the inner rotor cheek, forcing the cooling air into the internal vanes where it can cool both inner and outer rotor cheeks.

Cooling air also circulates around the hub, and the aluminum plenums act as heat sinks for the critical bearing area of the hub.

Accepts standard 3" brake ducting - ducting not included. Since most cars will already have ducts of some form installed, ducting is not included in the kit, but is available as an option, or may be sourced locally.

Immediate releases will be for 2 models: the LS1 caliper on LS1 upright, and C5 caliper on a LT1 upright using Trackbrackets or similar brackets. Duct plenum kits for other popular brake packages will be released soon. Custom and one-offs available, contact me for a quote

Each kit includes a left and right pair of duct plenums, 8 new ARP hub fasteners of the proper length for the application, two 3" stainless steel band clamps, 8 jam nuts for attachment of the plenums, and installation instructions.

Standard kit pricing:

LS1 on LS1: $275 plus shipping and CA sales tax if applicable

C5 on LT1: $250 plus shipping and CA sales tax if applicable

Introductory offer: for paid orders placed before Aug 25, 2007, price is reduced from standard by $30. Offer good only on the current released models.

Payment via PayPal is preferred - call me at 831 427-3296, email, or PM me with model and ZIP for shipping quote, then PayPal to: ablaine (at) cruzio (dot) com

Some pix:

(IMG:http://www.skyhighway.com/~bfpix2/IMG_1436.JPG)

(IMG:http://www.skyhighway.com/~bfpix2/IMG_1437.JPG)

(IMG:http://www.skyhighway.com/~bfpix2/IMG_1442.JPG)

(IMG:http://www.skyhighway.com/~bfpix2/IMG_1447.JPG)

Recommended duct routing and things that help them survive:
shorten swaybar endlink till bar ends are parallel to track, then trim top of bolt end.

Wrap duct with gaffer tape where it passes thru the inner fender liner, where the tire tends to rub, and at the endlink.

Avoid full lock steering

squish the duct about 1/2" at the point where the tire will rub - add a wrap ot 2 of gaffers tape here as wear happens

use wheel spacers to increase track width

Duct in pics has been in service for a full CMC season:

(IMG:http://www.skyhighway.com/~bfpix2/IMG_1441.JPG)

Good stuff Alan!

Same Idea, but a little better executed than mine!

(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

+Quote Post
00 SS
post Aug 16 2007, 04:16 PM
Post #3

Experienced Member

Member No.: 197

This appears to mount between the hub and the upright. How thick is the material in this area? When working on my redesigned hub, I found that I only had about +/- .040" before the rotor was dangerously close (or contacting) the pad abutment bracket. This would move the hub and rotor out but at least 0.065" if I read you post correctly. Do you provide spacer washers for the PAB as well to compensate?

Minor observation above aside, I really like the idea.

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Aug 16 2007, 04:34 PM
Post #4

I build race cars

QUOTE (00 SS @ Aug 16 2007, 11:16 AM) *
This appears to mount between the hub and the upright.

Nope - look closer. Mounts to the stationary part of the hub.

+Quote Post
bsim
post Aug 16 2007, 04:48 PM
Post #5

Race Driver

Member No.: 205

Still #1 in line - Alan, I'll contact you about payment along with the spacer data in the next day or so...

+Quote Post
00 SS
post Aug 16 2007, 04:54 PM
Post #6

Experienced Member

Member No.: 197

So the longer bolts extend through the housing base and then the nuts I see in the pictures secure the duct plenum? If so, cool.

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Aug 16 2007, 07:11 PM
Post #7

Nothing says 'I love you.' like a box of Hydroshoks

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Blainefab @ Aug 16 2007, 09:39 AM) *
Each kit includes a left and right pair of duct plenums, 8 new ARP hub fasteners of the proper length for the application, two 3" stainless steel band clamps, 8 jam nuts for attachment of the plenums, and installation instructions.

Standard kit pricing:

LS1 on LS1: $275 plus shipping and CA sales tax if applicable

Put me down for a set.

+Quote Post
racerns
post Aug 16 2007, 07:54 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 189

You have my PM

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Aug 16 2007, 11:14 PM
Post #9

I build race cars

QUOTE (00 SS @ Aug 16 2007, 11:54 AM) *
So the longer bolts extend through the housing base and then the nuts I see in the pictures secure the duct plenum? If so, cool.

Fortunately, the hub holes are threaded cleanly all the way thru, so a little extra length on the hub bolts leaves 4 studs available. The nuts you see are class 4 thin jam nuts on the .100" thick backplate, with instructions to tq lightly and locktite, so no effect on the hub clamping force.

+Quote Post
Viper99ta
post Aug 16 2007, 11:50 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 248

Very nicely done.

+Quote Post
Jae
post Aug 17 2007, 08:26 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 1,796

It was nice talking to you the other day Alan. Still can't believe you can fit so many cars in your shop. As I mentioned, please put me on the list. I will stop by to pay in cash in the next week or so. Jae

+Quote Post
Doug Phillips
post Aug 21 2007, 02:36 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 59

(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/banghead.gif)

I held off buying other ducting for yours.

When will you have an 1997 Z28 LT1 kit ready?

+Quote Post
bsim
post Aug 21 2007, 03:28 AM
Post #13

Race Driver

Member No.: 205

When you upgrade to LS1 brakes of course! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Aug 21 2007, 04:20 AM
Post #14

I build race cars

QUOTE (Doug Phillips @ Aug 20 2007, 07:36 PM) *
(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/banghead.gif)

I held off buying other ducting for yours.

Hmmm... I never considered that you would be wanting to get performance out of the stock LT1 brakes. I do have a donor car at the shop with stock brakes - I'll take a look tomorrow and see if it can be done. The challenge will be getting enough cross section on the transition from the 3" round to the inner hub area past the upright. The LS1 12" rotor is pretty tight but I do get enough area thru. The stock rotors are even smaller would be tighter getting past the upright.

Worst case, if I can't make them, there will soon be plenty of conventional "shoot the air at the inside rotor face" duct setups on the used market.

+Quote Post
Doug Phillips
post Aug 22 2007, 01:03 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

I am in Canada running Autocross. Our classing up here would bump me if I changed the brakes althought they are free at the track. A full track pad for Solo Sprints works pretty good on the stock brakes but cooling would help.

Are brake upgrades legal in SCCA ESP? We may be moving to your rules next season.

My ducting on the front air dam may only be 2 1/2 inches. Have to check. If 3 inch is a problem would 2 1/2 inch be possible? I know I would be losing a lot of air.

+Quote Post
Doug Phillips
post Aug 22 2007, 01:06 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

I am also using 16x10 rims. Is there a greater clearance issue for me? Anyone else running this size?

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Aug 22 2007, 12:37 PM
Post #17

I build race cars

QUOTE (Doug Phillips @ Aug 21 2007, 06:03 PM) *
I am in Canada running Autocross. Our classing up here would bump me if I changed the brakes althought they are free at the track. A full track pad for Solo Sprints works pretty good on the stock brakes but cooling would help.

Are brake upgrades legal in SCCA ESP? We may be moving to your rules next season.

My ducting on the front air dam may only be 2 1/2 inches. Have to check. If 3 inch is a problem would 2 1/2 inch be possible? I know I would be losing a lot of air.

Ahh, rules. I thought that may be the reason. I don't know about brake upgrades in ESP, but the SCCA Solo rulebook is on line at SCCA.com

I checked the stock LT1 brakes, and the rotor ID is 1/2" less in radius than the LS1 rotor, so really restricts how much air I can get thru into the rotor hub. I agree that a 2.5" duct would be a better match to the restriction and lower airflow, and for the clearance from your 10" rims. I can build the duct plenums for you, and supply 2.5" ducting if needed. It would be better than no ducts, but probably not the magic bullet that makes the stock LT1 brakes wonderful. Your cost would be $275 plus $16 UPS gnd shipping for the plenums, and for 12' of 2.5" duct $72 plus $6 additional shipping. I can't do the intro discount on this since I would have to buy materials that I don't expect to ever use up. Total PayPal $291 without ducting, $369 with ducting. Your call whether good ducts are a better bang for the buck than holding out for a rule change and hardware upgrade.

+Quote Post
y5e06
post Aug 22 2007, 01:46 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 88

QUOTE (Doug Phillips @ Aug 21 2007, 08:03 PM) *

swapping over to the '98+ 12" front setup is legal in ESP.

+Quote Post
QUASAR
post Aug 22 2007, 07:27 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 1,211

C5 on LS1!!!! C5 on LS1!!!!!!!!! cmon!!!!!!!

(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Doug Phillips
post Aug 23 2007, 01:37 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Blainefab @ Aug 22 2007, 08:37 AM) *
QUOTE (Doug Phillips @ Aug 21 2007, 06:03 PM) *

Ahh, rules. I thought that may be the reason. I don't know about brake upgrades in ESP, but the SCCA Solo rulebook is on line at SCCA.com

I checked the stock LT1 brakes, and the rotor ID is 1/2" less in radius than the LS1 rotor, so really restricts how much air I can get thru into the rotor hub. I agree that a 2.5" duct would be a better match to the restriction and lower airflow, and for the clearance from your 10" rims. I can build the duct plenums for you, and supply 2.5" ducting if needed. It would be better than no ducts, but probably not the magic bullet that makes the stock LT1 brakes wonderful. Your cost would be $275 plus $16 UPS gnd shipping for the plenums, and for 12' of 2.5" duct $72 plus $6 additional shipping. I can't do the intro discount on this since I would have to buy materials that I don't expect to ever use up. Total PayPal $291 without ducting, $369 with ducting. Your call whether good ducts are a better bang for the buck than holding out for a rule change and hardware upgrade.

Thanks for the quick reply Alan.

I was looking fo help at our National Solo Sprint event at Mosport in October but I suppose the smart thing would be for me to wait for the rule change next year and upgrade brakes and ducting at the same time.

Maybe like you said, some might have the "other" items avaialble in the next week or so. PMs please.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:26 AM