IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Blaine Fabrication.comHotpart.comUnbalanced EngineeringSolo PerformanceUMI Performance
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Opinions on seats
Smitty2919
post May 23 2014, 01:29 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 223,804

Looking at Corbeau Forza, Forza Sport and F1X Pro. They all look pretty similar to me and without being able to sit in all o them the decision is kind of tricky. I've heard overall good things about the Forza.

Anyone running either of these? They are going in a 95 Camaro for Autocross but is also a DD that sees the occasional 2hr one way trip to the in-laws house in Columbus OH from Cincy Oh. Everything else is around town driving. Will be making my own seat brackets.

Thanks guys!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post May 23 2014, 05:58 PM
Post #2

Veteran Member

Member No.: 385

We got a Forza with our 95 Z28. It used the stock Corbeau mounts. I find the seat to be very comfortable, if the layback is set right. The factory mount sets it too upright for my liking, so you always felt like you were about to fall out of the seat. I tried adding some spacers to lean it back a bit, but that put too much flex in the mount, so sometimes when you mashed on the clutch, you'd end up sliding back to the back seats.

I located some factory seats with cut outs for shoulder harnesses and installed those for our autocross fun, what little we do with that car. The Forza is sitting in a corner of the shop waiting for me to fab up a mount for it to the factory power seat mounts for our 96 SS that I DD. Haven't quite made it to that project yet, although I do have all the parts to do it, I believe.

I never made long trips with the seat, but don't see why it would be a problem. Getting in and out of a high-bolster seat can get old, to some, though, and it's something to consider. I'm also not very big, and I can see where some who are a bit heavier might find some discomfort on long trips. Once I got it laid back about 10-deg, though, I found it very nice.

+Quote Post
Smitty2919
post May 23 2014, 06:19 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Awesome, thanks a lot. I figure it will be alot of trial and error to get the seat position right. I'll make some bolt on "tabs" that position the seat depending on how the seat mounting points are. Have the ability to swap tabs which give you a certain seat angle. Then once I find the angle I like I will fully weld everything.

Could you take some pictures of where/how the Forza mounts to a bracket? I see some seats are "side mount" and some are "bottom mount". Thanks!

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post May 23 2014, 06:35 PM
Post #4

Veteran Member

Member No.: 385

I'll double-check, but IIRC, the bracket we have just bolts to the side of the seat at the bottom. Two bolts at each end on each side near the corners. I don't know if the holes were pre-drilled, or the PO drilled them, though.

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post May 23 2014, 09:38 PM
Post #5

I build race cars

Member No.: 874

IMO, the tube frame seats are akin to lawn chairs. They will not pass NASA race tech. I recommend a fiberglass shell seat.

+Quote Post
Smitty2919
post May 23 2014, 09:56 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (CrashTestDummy @ May 23 2014, 06:35 PM) *
I'll double-check, but IIRC, the bracket we have just bolts to the side of the seat at the bottom. Two bolts at each end on each side near the corners. I don't know if the holes were pre-drilled, or the PO drilled them, though.

Thanks

QUOTE (Blainefab @ May 23 2014, 09:38 PM) *
IMO, the tube frame seats are akin to lawn chairs. They will not pass NASA race tech. I recommend a fiberglass shell seat.

It seems you are big into Road Racing...being that I will only see local/regional autocross, do you think there will be issues? Next step is a 4pt harness using OEM lower lap belt points then to find mount points for shoulder straps. I have heard that there are no shoulder strap angle regulations for simple autocross like there are for road racing. Local autocross member mentioned removing the rear seat and using OEM rear seatbelt lower mount points. I WAS going to look into making a Gen4Racing style harness bar.

A friend of mine highly recommended the Forza that he runs in the same autocross events in his C5 and 02 Camaro.

+Quote Post
BumpaD_Z28
post May 24 2014, 12:23 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,416

I love CORBEAU 's ... And they are local to me

Last weekend I ran 1157 miles in the drivers seat in 3 days, with the 90 mile NORC open road race in the middle (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

YRMV

~DaVe

+Quote Post
Smitty2919
post May 24 2014, 12:30 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

What seat did you use?

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post May 24 2014, 12:55 AM
Post #9

I build race cars

QUOTE (Smitty2919 @ May 23 2014, 02:56 PM) *
QUOTE (Blainefab @ May 23 2014, 09:38 PM) *

being that I will only see local/regional autocross, do you think there will be issues? Next step is a 4pt harness using OEM lower lap belt points then to find mount points for shoulder straps. I have heard that there are no shoulder strap angle regulations for simple autocross like there are for road racing. Local autocross member mentioned removing the rear seat and using OEM rear seatbelt lower mount points. I WAS going to look into making a Gen4Racing style harness bar.

That will be up to your local tech staff, I doubt that they would care for autox, but you might check with them. The harness angles are important in a crash. While autox crashes do happen they are not common. If you drive it on the street with wrong harness angles you'll be at risk. If the OEM 3pt works with the seat you may keep them in place for street use.

+Quote Post
Smitty2919
post May 24 2014, 01:40 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Depending on how well the seat works by itself, I may not go to a 4 pt harness and only use the OEM belt. I've been paying attention to HOW I move in the seat and it's less in the hips and more in the upper back area which is directly ties to steering inputs.

+Quote Post
dailydriver
post May 24 2014, 07:24 AM
Post #11

Experienced Member

Member No.: 1,589

Depending on where one is located, the local gendarmes might just bust you for using a full 4-6 point harnesses on the street, regardless of them being mounted at the correct angles to pass tech and prevent spinal injuries in a crash or not.

Having them mounted correctly to a full cage crossbar, or even a harness bar will likely get you pulled over that much quicker, again, depending on the locale. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

This post has been edited by dailydriver: May 24 2014, 07:25 AM

+Quote Post
Smitty2919
post May 24 2014, 01:21 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Well the game plan is that I will have the OEM belt and harness at the same time to where I can use either. But I won't know until I get the seat in and see what I'm dealing with.

+Quote Post
roostmeyer
post May 25 2014, 05:04 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,727

Another option:

http://www.soloperformance.com/CG-LOCK_p_83.html

I really liked it on my Miata, but I'm not sure how well they would work with the double seat belt reels on an f-body.

+Quote Post
BumpaD_Z28
post May 25 2014, 05:26 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,416

QUOTE (Smitty2919 @ May 23 2014, 06:30 PM) *
What seat did you use?

TRS 's : http://www.corbeau.com/products/reclining_seats/trs/

I have the CR1's in my 3rd gen: http://www.corbeau.com/products/reclining_seats/cr1/

~DaVe

+Quote Post
dailydriver
post May 25 2014, 11:30 PM
Post #15

Experienced Member

Member No.: 1,589

QUOTE (Blainefab @ May 23 2014, 05:38 PM) *

Not even the FIA approved/homologated one piece/non-reclining versions??

This post has been edited by dailydriver: May 25 2014, 11:32 PM

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post May 26 2014, 08:55 AM
Post #16

I build race cars

QUOTE (dailydriver @ May 25 2014, 04:30 PM) *
QUOTE (Blainefab @ May 23 2014, 05:38 PM) *

Not even the FIA approved/homologated one piece/non-reclining versions??

If you can find one that has not been removed from the FIA list, look closely at how the mounting points are attached to the frame.

+Quote Post
Rampant
post May 29 2014, 01:50 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 542

I have the CR1s in my car.

I like the seats and I am a big guy. It is a tight fit, but I am comfortable.

I did modify the drivers seat rear mounts to lower it an additional 1". I found as supplied it was to tall for my 6' 1" frame with a helmet. Helmet touche the T Roof.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6FAE0...nt=photo%2c.jpg

+Quote Post
Smitty2919
post May 29 2014, 02:34 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Rampant: what harness bar are you running? Or is it part of your cage?

Well I picked up a Corbeau Forza...I THOUGHT I would be slick and mount it to the factory power seat bracket by fabricating an adapter mount. It took a 15min drive around to constantly mess with the position only to have it not work. If I got a position where I can push the clutch comfortably, I felt like my elbows would hit my legs while turning and I was too close to the wheel.

SOOOO I came to realize that even though I have adjustability, the seat is too high when the front/rear tilt is all the way down. I may throw in the towel and buy a Corbeau slider then figure out a way to gain "tilting ability" using spacers/washers under the 2 front seat to slider mount points.

This post has been edited by Smitty2919: May 29 2014, 02:39 PM

+Quote Post
79T/A
post May 29 2014, 08:44 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 142,453

Can you use side mount brackets on that seat? That's what I used to lay the seat back. Made it a million times more comfortable, otherwise it felt like the seat was leaning me forward. I have a sparco pro2000 mounted with the sparco side mount brackets and a wedge engineering floor bracket. I'm 5'10" and have plenty of room with my helmet on, and I have the ability to lower the seat more with the side mounts. I also have a slider to sandwich in between the mounts but so far I don't see the need for a slider since my car isn't a DD.

+Quote Post
Rampant
post May 29 2014, 08:48 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 542

QUOTE (Smitty2919 @ May 29 2014, 08:34 AM) *
Rampant: what harness bar are you running? Or is it part of your cage?

Well I picked up a Corbeau Forza...I THOUGHT I would be slick and mount it to the factory power seat bracket by fabricating an adapter mount. It took a 15min drive around to constantly mess with the position only to have it not work. If I got a position where I can push the clutch comfortably, I felt like my elbows would hit my legs while turning and I was too close to the wheel.

SOOOO I came to realize that even though I have adjustability, the seat is too high when the front/rear tilt is all the way down. I may throw in the towel and buy a Corbeau slider then figure out a way to gain "tilting ability" using spacers/washers under the 2 front seat to slider mount points.

I have a Wolfe 6 point Chrome Moly in the car and use it for the harnesses. The door bars are removable, and not installed in the picture. I got the boot from the local track back in 2005. It was only running 11.0s, but trapping 129mph. So for 2006 I needed the roll bar.

This post has been edited by Rampant: May 29 2014, 08:49 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:00 AM