IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Blaine Fabrication.comSolo PerformanceHotpart.comUMI PerformanceUnbalanced Engineering
> Thermal barriers for cabin
Smitty2919
post May 15 2018, 04:34 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 223,804

I'm wondering what some of you may have done for thermal barriers in your cars. I have removed my AC in the name of weight reduction. The AC never worked very well anyways (would need it on HIGH for 15min to even break the heat off of you).

Car is in CAMC and full interior (without back seat) 95 Z28. I like to drive it a lot on the street and the heat is what will be a killer. Heat and interior cabin noise is a recipe for headaches (for me) after only 10min of driving. Plus my wife won't come with me anywhere (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) and I like her so....I'd like for her not to complain.

SO, I've been looking around and it seems there are either tar-like material that are peel and stick, there are loose mats you lay down with foil backings and there are some you spray down. I'd prefer to avoid the spray on and peel/stick version since that crap gets messy.

Ideally I find some stuff I can put under my carpet that just lays there to help keep heat out.

Anyone have suggestions/products to look into? I assume some of you get hot on the road course.

Peel and Stick: Dynomat-ish products
Spray on: LizardSkin...Eastwood has a version as well
Loose mats: Not sure of the product being used https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFIfnA08--g
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
79T/A
post May 22 2018, 09:56 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 142,453

I know quite a few people that have used Lizard Skin, and they all have said the same thing. It helps cut down on noise, but it doesn’t do a damn thing to cut down on heat transfer to the cabin.

I put some of the peel and stick reflective heat tape underneath the car on the floorboards above the collectors and exhaust. It seemed to help a little. Stopped melting my shoes.

+Quote Post
JimMueller
post May 24 2018, 07:27 PM
Post #3

Experienced Member

Member No.: 206

QUOTE (79T/A @ May 22 2018, 05:56 PM) *
I know quite a few people that have used Lizard Skin, and they all have said the same thing. It helps cut down on noise, but it doesn’t do a damn thing to cut down on heat transfer to the cabin.

I put some of the peel and stick reflective heat tape underneath the car on the floorboards above the collectors and exhaust. It seemed to help a little. Stopped melting my shoes.

I think I've lost an external heat shield below my pedals. The heat has cut through any plastic, padding, carpet and multiple floor mats over the years. The heal of my right shoes get deformed and sometimes it gets damn uncomfortable on that heel.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Smitty2919   Thermal barriers for cabin   May 15 2018, 04:34 PM
CrashTestDummy   Not that we street drive it any, but I've trie...   May 21 2018, 07:35 PM
NOT A TA   I put some stick on DEI glass mat with foil backin...   May 22 2018, 03:44 AM
Smitty2919   Thanks guys. Since making this post I spoke to se...   May 22 2018, 03:10 PM
79T/A   I know quite a few people that have used Lizard Sk...   May 22 2018, 09:56 PM
JimMueller   QUOTE (79T/A @ May 22 2018, 05:56 PM) I k...   May 24 2018, 07:27 PM
Smitty2919   The plan seems to be DEI under the car and some Fr...   May 24 2018, 12:02 PM

« Next Oldest · General Discussion · Next Newest »

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:29 PM