IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
UMI PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.comSolo PerformanceUnbalanced EngineeringHotpart.com
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wife's car got totalled...
BigEnos
post Jan 10 2008, 07:45 PM
Post #1

Collo Rosso

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 839

My wife was driving home from work Monday night and got rear ended, BAD! She stopped on I-70 for a backup (at one of the usual spots) and the person behind her didn't see her stopped and hit her, at what the other driver said was probably the posted speed (65mph !) Good news is that Shannon (wife) has no serious injuries, nor does anyone else involved. Bad news is that Shannon is really sore, bruised, and upset. Link to pics of car:

http://picasaweb.google.com/BrianXL/BMW_Wreck

It's also sad because we both really loved that car and had planned to keep it for a long time. So far their insurance company (USAA) has talked the talk, we'll see if they walk the walk. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a long drawn out exercise in stupidity.

Seems to be the season for rear end collisions, eerily similar to AndyJ's situation.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Racer X
post Jan 10 2008, 07:53 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 120

QUOTE (BigEnos @ Jan 10 2008, 01:45 PM) *

Wow. Glad she's okay Brian.

+Quote Post
lt1le
post Jan 10 2008, 07:55 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 690

The main thing is that she was not seriously injured. Glad to hear that. The car can always be replaced. Gotta keep it in perspective.
--Ron

+Quote Post
BigEnos
post Jan 10 2008, 07:55 PM
Post #4

Collo Rosso

Oh yeah, one of the things to notice in the pics was the damage on the front. You can clearly see where the hitch receiver hit her car when she rear-ended the truck in front of her.

+Quote Post
00 Trans Ram
post Jan 10 2008, 07:56 PM
Post #5

Experienced Member

Member No.: 303

USAA has a good reputation. You shouldn't have much of a problem.

Good to hear she's OK. I guess those crumple zones really work!!

+Quote Post
slowTA
post Jan 10 2008, 08:04 PM
Post #6

Experienced Member

Member No.: 331

Glad she is OK. Seems like there are a bunch of wrecks going around now. I've heard of 4 people at work who were in wrecks totaling their cars.

+Quote Post
firehawkclone
post Jan 10 2008, 08:06 PM
Post #7

Grumpy

Member No.: 81

You married superwoman too! I'm glad she is ok!

My wife just did an end over end a few months back, she says she is still sore a little. I tell her she is just old (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) as I get (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/twak.gif)

+Quote Post
Jeff97FST/A
post Jan 10 2008, 08:12 PM
Post #8

Mr. 3rd Place

Member No.: 32

Wow, definitely glad to hear she's OK. (I was rear ended on 495 once. Don't miss 495/70 during rush hour at all ).

I recall a guy locally who rolled a car on MA 495. His wife went to look at the car. Her reaction kind of took him by surprise. She told him to get another just like it. She reasoned that the car did its job protecting the occupant. Looks like the same sort of endorsement for your wifes car.

+Quote Post
BigEnos
post Jan 10 2008, 08:16 PM
Post #9

Collo Rosso

QUOTE (Jeff97FST/A @ Jan 10 2008, 03:12 PM) *
Wow, definitely glad to hear she's OK. (I was rear ended on 495 once. Don't miss 495/70 during rush hour at all ).

I recall a guy locally who rolled a car on MA 495. His wife went to look at the car. Her reaction kind of took him by surprise. She told him to get another just like it. She reasoned that the car did its job protecting the occupant. Looks like the same sort of endorsement for your wifes car.

Shannon wants an SUV now. We both acknowledge that the car did a good job, but we want to start a family and maybe it's the right time to get something bigger. She's spooked now and might not ever feel "right" in a car again. Hope so, but...

+Quote Post
LT4Firehawk
post Jan 10 2008, 08:37 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 5

Glad she's ok, at least the car did it's job protecting her.

I test drove a BMW X3 and X5 a couple of years ago (when they do their annual "drive for cancer" or whatever it is). Anyway, both were very nice, especially the X3. Felt much more sporty than you would expect from a typical SUV, and was a lot of fun on to drive. If she has to have an SUV, try to get her into one of those.

+Quote Post
vanwyk4257
post Jan 10 2008, 08:41 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 1,881

Wow, that was a hard wreck, I'm glad to hear she's okay. Make sure to keep an eye on her for a while, neck, back, and other injuries can sometimes take a little while to really become obvious.

That's the best endorsement I've seen yet for a BMW 3-series!

+Quote Post
marka
post Jan 10 2008, 08:44 PM
Post #12

Experienced Member

Member No.: 896

Howdy,

QUOTE (BigEnos @ Jan 10 2008, 03:16 PM) *
Shannon wants an SUV now. We both acknowledge that the car did a good job, but we want to start a family and maybe it's the right time to get something bigger. She's spooked now and might not ever feel "right" in a car again. Hope so, but...

From my own experience in the last year or so, if you're going to get a vehicle because you're gonna have newborn/infant/toddlers around, just get a minivan.

Better mileage and lower maintenance costs, can be configured to carry more stuff (in terms of bulk, probably not in terms of weight), and easier to deal with getting the kid in and out.

We have an '06 4 door Civic, '04 quad-cab 2500 Ram, and an '02 Venture minivan. Order of vehicles, in terms of dealing with our son Dominic, is the reverse of that.

You particularly want relatively low height & a large rear door opening... Remember, you're going to be trying to get you plus the infant (and maybe something else) you're carrying through that opening during a rainstorm. You also will probably want/need to carry along more crap than you'd really expect. Minimum is a pack 'n play (or porta-crib, or play-pen, depending on how you think of if) and umbrella stroller, plus the clothes, diapers, food, etc. But if you value your sanity and are doing an overnight, plan on room for a swing or exer-saucer plus a 'real' stroller as well.

Mark

This post has been edited by marka: Jan 10 2008, 08:45 PM

+Quote Post
Shortcutsleeping
post Jan 10 2008, 08:48 PM
Post #13

Experienced Member

Member No.: 62

YIKES!!!
That was a serious hit.

To reiterate what others have said, as long as your wife is ok, everything else can be replaced. I've had USAA forever and they are wonderful. I think you'll be just fine.

Good luck!

Costas
cars and such...

+Quote Post
BigEnos
post Jan 10 2008, 09:04 PM
Post #14

Collo Rosso

QUOTE (marka @ Jan 10 2008, 03:44 PM) *
Howdy,

QUOTE (BigEnos @ Jan 10 2008, 03:16 PM) *

From my own experience in the last year or so, if you're going to get a vehicle because you're gonna have newborn/infant/toddlers around, just get a minivan.

Better mileage and lower maintenance costs, can be configured to carry more stuff (in terms of bulk, probably not in terms of weight), and easier to deal with getting the kid in and out.

We have an '06 4 door Civic, '04 quad-cab 2500 Ram, and an '02 Venture minivan. Order of vehicles, in terms of dealing with our son Dominic, is the reverse of that.

You particularly want relatively low height & a large rear door opening... Remember, you're going to be trying to get you plus the infant (and maybe something else) you're carrying through that opening during a rainstorm. You also will probably want/need to carry along more crap than you'd really expect. Minimum is a pack 'n play (or porta-crib, or play-pen, depending on how you think of if) and umbrella stroller, plus the clothes, diapers, food, etc. But if you value your sanity and are doing an overnight, plan on room for a swing or exer-saucer plus a 'real' stroller as well.

Mark

I completely agree on all points, but for her a minivan is a non-starter. I think they are fine, and some of them I think are kinda cool (lots of gadgets, etc). She's shorter than me by quite a bit and it'll be harder on her with an SUV, but it's her thing. Our backup kid-hauler would be my tow vehicle as well. *hopefully* the extra cab can fit a child seat when the time comes.

+Quote Post
marka
post Jan 10 2008, 10:27 PM
Post #15

Experienced Member

Howdy,

QUOTE (BigEnos @ Jan 10 2008, 04:04 PM) *
I completely agree on all points, but for her a minivan is a non-starter. I think they are fine, and some of them I think are kinda cool (lots of gadgets, etc). She's shorter than me by quite a bit and it'll be harder on her with an SUV, but it's her thing. Our backup kid-hauler would be my tow vehicle as well. *hopefully* the extra cab can fit a child seat when the time comes.

That's pretty funny. Laura and I went through almost _exactly_ the same thing, in terms of her not wanting a minivan at all.

We ended up getting one anyway because my parents had a high mileage '02 Venture that they were going to get essentially nothing for on trade. So we bought it because it was cheap and I'd drive the thing.

Laura still doesn't like driving a minivan, but I notice that whenever she's dealing with Dominic, she wants it anyway. :-) We also always use it for family stuff.

One thing that is annoying is that all the marketing speak is totally wrong for me. One of the things we did on the Venture was to replace the struts/shocks. What was on there was horribly underdamped/worn out and rode badly enough that it'd make you a bit seasick. So I go off looking for struts/shocks... And everything is all "comfort ride", "select ride", etc. I was looking for "heavy duty" or "sport" or whatever and there's nothing at all marketed like that.

We ended up with Monroe stuff, which is better than what was on there, but which could still be stiffer. If I had more time (AHAHAHAHA!), I'd look into what it would take to put stiffer springs, bars, struts/shocks on the van. You can't buy any of it off the shelf, but I'd be amazed if it wouldn't be pretty straight forward to adapt at least springs & rear shocks from other stuff. It'll never be a sportscar of course, but it could at least transmit some road feel to you.

I think there are other minivan options that have better suspensions though, so don't take this as condemnation of the entire market segment!

Anyway, Laura has gone from a person who absolutely would not own a minivan, to someone who has to own one, but isn't particularly happy about driving it. And that's with only one child... For more than one I think you'd want one even more. I'd be interested to see what she thought if we could buy a different minivan that actually had a little suspension.

Mark

+Quote Post
marka
post Jan 10 2008, 10:30 PM
Post #16

Experienced Member

Howdy,

And, I keep forgetting to say... I'm glad your wife and everyone else is ok!

Mark

+Quote Post
rpoz-29
post Jan 10 2008, 11:04 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 22

I agree with Jeff97. Get another BMW. It must be a well built car to take that hit. Glad everyone's okay.

+Quote Post
CamaroFS34
post Jan 11 2008, 01:30 AM
Post #18

Green Terror

Member No.: 175

Damn, Brian. Glad to know she's okay after that kind of hit. Justin and I came horribly close to a similar situation in his WRX when we were driving down to the Subaru Challenge back in November. There was a backup in a construction zone on I77 just north of Charlotte, and the three vehicles in front of me hit each other, with a Montero almost ending up being rolled by a Cadillac. I heard the Montero's wheels locked up, and was threshold braking the WRX and eyeballing the pickup behind me.... fortunately, he was paying attention too, and we both got stopped in plenty of time, but we were actually shaking worse than those who were in collisions, strangely enough.

+Quote Post
AndyJ
post Jan 11 2008, 01:39 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 791

USAA was exceptional when my boy's car got totaled 2 years ago.

Glad everyone is OK!

+Quote Post
JMP33
post Jan 11 2008, 01:45 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 1,799

Glad the wife is ok. That looks like quite a hit.

My experience with minivans is similar to Mark's. We were specifically not looking for them when we went car shopping but ended up getting a '98 Venture after driving it. Six years later, we have 155k miles on it and have replaced the transmission and head gaskets so we will probably have it quite a while longer. The only thing I don't like about it, other than the mushy suspension, is they do not crash well. They crumple up badly in the front. Toyota seems to have one of the best minivans on the market for crash structure from what I have seen and read.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:47 PM