IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Blaine Fabrication.comSolo PerformanceUnbalanced EngineeringHotpart.comUMI Performance

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Guy from the South
ChevSSCamaro67
post Jul 10 2008, 01:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,245

Name is TJ, just got my car about three months ago. It's a 98 Z, dressed up as an SS and it was pretty much stock, 3.42s/magnaflows. Now it's got new intake filter, MAF, mid-lengths, 3.73s and a tune. I bought a set of black ZR1s and put BFG DRs out back. Well I suck at drag racing and it's just not as fun to me as I thought it would be. I had planned on doing a heads/cam/stall install but I'd really love to get my car set up for some autox/road racing events and googled for some forums and found you guys hoping you could get me on the right path. My first question is, are manual trans. a must for these types? Secondly, if this is the direction I want to go in should I be more worried about suspension and weight right now than power? And lastly, are there any regular events in the South East? I live in Myrtle Beach SC.

This post has been edited by ChevSSCamaro67: Jul 10 2008, 01:18 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
93FirehawkTA
post Jul 10 2008, 01:48 PM
Post #2

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,914

QUOTE (ChevSSCamaro67 @ Jul 10 2008, 09:14 AM) *
Name is TJ, just got my car about three months ago. It's a 98 Z, dressed up as an SS and it was pretty much stock, 3.42s/magnaflows. Now it's got new intake filter, MAF, mid-lengths, 3.73s and a tune. I bought a set of black ZR1s and put BFG DRs out back. Well I suck at drag racing and it's just not as fun to me as I thought it would be. I had planned on doing a heads/cam/stall install but I'd really love to get my car set up for some autox/road racing events and googled for some forums and found you guys hoping you could get me on the right path. My first question is, are manual trans. a must for these types? Secondly, if this is the direction I want to go in should I be more worried about suspension and weight right now than power? And lastly, are there any regular events in the South East? I live in Myrtle Beach SC.

Hi and wlecome. Manual trans is prefered, but not necessary. Your 98Z has more than enough power for now, so concentrate on driving skills first... then maybe some tires, brake and suspension work, and weight reduction. Lots of road courses in SE - Road Atl, CMP, Roebling, Barber, Little Tally, and many more... I don't know about autoX... would imagine there's a bunch.

+Quote Post
John_D.
post Jul 10 2008, 03:46 PM
Post #3

Engine and Tools Moderator

Member No.: 6

Welcome. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Nick Cornilsen
post Jul 10 2008, 05:25 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,232

It's often said that the best bang for the buck is improvements to the driver. Get seat time in your car as it is, you'll soon find out what you need to upgrade.

+Quote Post
StanIROCZ
post Jul 10 2008, 06:13 PM
Post #5

Veteran Member

Member No.: 1,144

Welcome to FRRAX (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
My first question is, are manual trans. a must for these types?

I'm afraid your auto trans will start puking fluid on road courses. Mine did, as well as others. Coolers help, but don't fix the problem. I'd start looking for a manual to replace it if you plan you doing the road course more than a few times.

+Quote Post
ChevSSCamaro67
post Jul 10 2008, 06:35 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (StanIROCZ @ Jul 10 2008, 02:13 PM) *
Welcome to FRRAX (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
My first question is, are manual trans. a must for these types?

I'm afraid your auto trans will start puking fluid on road courses. Mine did, as well as others. Coolers help, but don't fix the problem. I'd start looking for a manual to replace it if you plan you doing the road course more than a few times.

Well the problem is I'm in a wheelchair. I've got an idea as to how to drive a 6spd but it's a costly experiment if it ends up being too hard or flat out impossible. I've looked into how other people in my situation do it and don't like any set ups I've seen so far.

+Quote Post
John_D.
post Jul 10 2008, 08:48 PM
Post #7

I ran an automatic in my 98 for some hot-lap 20 minute sessions at Nashville Superspeedway with no fluid problems, revving to 6700.

My car is also a front breather, with a transmission cooler mounted in front of the radiator, in series with the cooler in the radiator.

At that time it had a 3k stall, and the deeper B&M pan. (now the stall is more like 3400)

It was summer.

+Quote Post
John_D.
post Jul 10 2008, 08:51 PM
Post #8

My new transmission (built for boost) is mated to a multi-disc torque converter with a larger apply area.

I intend to use the lock-up feature where possible. That should cut down even further on heat.

It's made by a company called Circle-D in Texas.

If an auto transmission is overfilled slightly, it will foam.

+Quote Post
ChevSSCamaro67
post Jul 10 2008, 11:42 PM
Post #9

Thanks guys, I found a track just a few hours away from me. Once my car gets out of the shop (rear end is acting up) I plan on trailing it up there and checking it out. I obviously no nothing about this http://www.autoanything.com/coolers/65A3049A0A0.aspx Is there a particular one I need?

+Quote Post
Crazy Canuck
post Jul 11 2008, 03:39 AM
Post #10

North of the border

Group: Admin
Member No.: 177

welcome aboard.

+Quote Post
sgarnett
post Jul 11 2008, 05:11 AM
Post #11

Seeking round tuits

Member No.: 33

As your car sits, it will be in Street Modified or C Prepared for autocross (your choice depending on local competition). If you get serious about it, you might want to swap the rear gears to 3.42, which would drop you to Street Prepared.

That might also be a better choice for road courses, but I've only driven the 6-speed on a track, so I'm guessing.

Welcome!

Check out myautoevents.com

This post has been edited by sgarnett: Jul 11 2008, 01:04 PM

+Quote Post
Rob Hood
post Jul 11 2008, 05:31 AM
Post #12

Experienced Member

Member No.: 130

Welcome!

+Quote Post
Crazy Canuck
post Jul 11 2008, 02:01 PM
Post #13

North of the border

Group: Admin
Member No.: 177

Jules raced automatics for awhile... maybe she can chime in.

+Quote Post
CMC #37
post Jul 11 2008, 04:40 PM
Post #14

CMCer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 194

QUOTE (Eugenio_SS @ Jul 11 2008, 09:01 AM) *
Jules raced automatics for awhile... maybe she can chime in.

I did my HPDE type stuff with my '97 TA auto. I had a Trans-Go shift kit in it. The only thing I would recommend is not setting it on full harsh because when it shifts in a turn it will upset the car too much. You want to avoid shifting in a turn anyway, so you learn when to modulate the throttle to avoid that. Cooler good, mine was overheating, and I'd get some RS4 Porterfields (good dual purpose pads) or some dedicated track pads like Carbotechs folks like here.

You'll have a good time and will learn to work within the the limitations the auto has. Lots of fun to be had!

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Jul 11 2008, 09:21 PM
Post #15

Veteran Member

Member No.: 385

Sticks are also not necessary for autocross. We have an auto in our 3rd Gen CP car, and while we may not be, there are a few nationally-competitive CP cars equipped with autos. Don't give up autocrossing just because you have an auto.

As the others have said, get some seat time, and develop skills before adding mods. You may find something else/another class is better suited to you as you gain experience, so hold of modifying the car until you know what direction you want to go.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 11:35 PM