IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Hotpart.comBlaine Fabrication.comUnbalanced EngineeringSolo PerformanceUMI Performance

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Alright, time to buy a welder....
Steve91T
post Aug 4 2017, 06:51 PM
Post #1

Experienced Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 9,105

This is going to be my first welder. What's a decent welder on a budget? I just want to do some basic welding, like an exhaust.

110v please.

Also, that being said, I need to weld O2 bungs into my new headers. Should I weld them in before mounting the headers? Is there a bolt on option that would be easier?

This post has been edited by Steve91T: Aug 4 2017, 06:58 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mojave
post Aug 4 2017, 07:00 PM
Post #2

I suck at the auto-x :(

Member No.: 727

QUOTE (Steve91T @ Aug 4 2017, 01:51 PM) *
This is going to be my first welder. What's a decent welder on a budget? I just want to do some basic welding, like an exhaust.

110v please.

Also, that being said, I need to weld O2 bungs into my new headers. Should I weld them in before mounting the headers? Is there a bolt on option that would be easier?

I think you're going to want to test fit where you want the bung with the headers on the car first, to make sure the O2 will clear the floor and other parts.

+Quote Post
Steve91T
post Aug 4 2017, 07:43 PM
Post #3

Experienced Member

Member No.: 9,105

QUOTE (Mojave @ Aug 4 2017, 03:00 PM) *
QUOTE (Steve91T @ Aug 4 2017, 01:51 PM) *

110v please.

I think you're going to want to test fit where you want the bung with the headers on the car first, to make sure the O2 will clear the floor and other parts.

That's what I was thinking. Honestly, I'll probably just get two no weld bungs. So much easier.

+Quote Post
KCG
post Aug 4 2017, 08:09 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 223,768

Don't forget the recommended placement is something like 15 degrees off horizontal If I remember correctly.

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Aug 4 2017, 08:23 PM
Post #5

Veteran Member

Member No.: 385

I had 220 strung in our shop when we got the lighting done, because I wanted to eventually get a welder. I still haven't pulled the trigger on one yet because I'm still looking, and have many other projects going on. I DO have projects where I think 'if I just had a welder, I'd be done by now...' but am still welderless.

I have no clue what's good, but those new 'combo' welders are looking good, and getting cheap, but I'm afraid you'd get what you paid for if you're not careful. Usually, with 'combo' things, while they can be multi-functional, the parts that go inside are usually cheaper than the individual unit to keep the prices down. I hope to find a unit that's not like that.

I don't think we have such a dedicated forum topic, but they do over at Corner Carvers, with some good info from folks that actually use the things:

Welder Tech

You could just get an inexpensive unit to use to tack things together and then take the parts to a real welder to get the welds finished, but it depends on the availability of such people.

Let us know what you end up with, and how it works.

+Quote Post
nape
post Aug 4 2017, 10:05 PM
Post #6

Veteran Member

Member No.: 540

Resale on 120V welders is crap, so you might as well just buy the Harbor Freight flux core. If your CL is anything like mine, it's flooded with them because people are instantly disappointed.

I had one, hated it. Couldn't give it away, so I scrapped it.

[edit] Before I had 240V in the garage, I used to borrow a friend's Hobart and run it off a generator. Not sure if you have a generator, but that opens up your options.

This post has been edited by nape: Aug 4 2017, 10:07 PM

+Quote Post
NOT A TA
post Aug 5 2017, 03:47 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 61,643

I have an older (7-8 years) Lincoln weld pac 3200HD that came from Home Depot or Lowes originally and a bud gave to me when he upgrade to a 220 V welder. 135 amp max and I weld stuff from thin sheet metal to about 1/4" steel. I preheat thick metal over 3/16" with a propane torch. I use it far more than a hobbyist and haven't had to do anything to it but replace tips in 5 years I've had it and it had seen a lot of daily use in a body shop before I got it. Works fine, no complaints. Don't forget to wear leather upper shoes.

(IMG:http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff292/NOTATA/Lab%2014%20products/20160911_171551_zpsgoirbyns.jpg)

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Aug 5 2017, 05:39 PM
Post #8

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

Buy a Hobart, Miller or Lincoln 110v welder. They all work about the same (and all of them reasonably well). Avoid the cheapest flux core only Hobart. Or consider a dual voltage unit that will work on 110/220 and give you 180-250 amps on 220v.

I have a Hobart 210 (220v only), a Tweeco Fabricator 181i (mig/tig/stick) and a Lincoln Squarewave TIG 175.

Hobart:

Welds like a dream. This was my first machine and it's done everything I've ever asked of it. There is supposed to be a new dual voltage version that I expect to be every bit as good. They cost more, but it's a machine you can grow with and it will weld 3/8" plate steel together in a single pass (if you know what you're doing, technique is required at that point).

Tweeco:

This is an inverter powered machine. It's 32 lbs (the hobart is about 80) and it welds quite well. However, I find it much more difficult to setup and the chart inside the door isn't as much help. The Hobart works perfectly with the settings inside the door, this is one that requires much more knowledge (and luck) to setup. Honestly, it's a nice machine and it welds very well, but I wouldn't suggest it for a beginner. I'm not a beginner (even completed a pile of actual classes) and I have some issues with it. I'm not a pro, but I'm not new to this. They make a new dual voltage version of it. And the stick welder function is handy, but it really doesn't like to run 6010 rods. As long as you can weld everything with 7018, it's not a bad stick welder.

Lincoln:

It's a nice TIG, but if you're shopping for a Mig, this isn't the machine for you. I have had good luck with Lincoln MIG welders over the years and I'd gladly buy one. This tig was bought in 2009 (used) and it has been a great machine.

We ran Miller Mig (professional stuff) in my classes and it was great stuff. My next mig is likely to be a 300 amp Miller...when I get around to buying it.

I'd look at these:

https://www.hobartwelders.com/products/wirefeed/handler140/

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/Equip...incolnElectric)

https://www.millerwelds.com/equipment/welde...g-welder-m00486

https://www.hobartwelders.com/products/wirefeed/handler210/

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/Equip...incolnElectric)

https://www.millerwelds.com/equipment/welde...g-welder-m30024

+Quote Post
00 SS
post Aug 5 2017, 10:35 PM
Post #9

Experienced Member

Member No.: 197

I don't have one yet either, but when I get one it's likely to be the Miller 210.

+Quote Post
landstuhltaylor
post Aug 6 2017, 03:35 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,587

Still pissed my Miller 211 was stolen

+Quote Post
mikedamageinc
post Aug 6 2017, 01:30 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,551

I've been using a 110v Lincoln from home depot for about ten years and it's been great. It was the best one they had at the time and can up to 5/16". I don't do too many critical welds, mostly exhaust and random brackets but it's been great. Definitely go for a MIG because your will continue to do more, it's been super addictive for me. And welding my own stainless exhaust using the trimix gas was awesome.

I do have buddies that have been satisfied with the harbor freight welders for light duty stuff too, but you might as well get a good one first off.

+Quote Post
rocky
post Aug 7 2017, 03:28 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,032

Get a good welder. I have an Eastwood in 110v it gets the job done good too. It was cheap and so far effective. If I did it again I would get a Hobart at the least from Tractor Supply or ARC3. There is a clamp with the bung already welded. I am going this route to make it easier on me because I am fat and do not have a lift to get under my car to weld the way I want. It is part# 30-2355-300 for 3". A lot of places have it for $40

This post has been edited by rocky: Aug 7 2017, 03:29 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:34 AM