IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Solo PerformanceUMI PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.comHotpart.comUnbalanced Engineering

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Please read, Frrax.com donation to the American Cancer Society
trackbird
post May 31 2008, 05:20 PM
Post #1

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

This has been in the works for a few weeks now and I've been a bit slow in moving it from the moderator forum to the main forum. Joel's post reminded me and I finally took a moment to organize my thoughts.

As you might have read, the Strano family lost their battle with cancer. If you ever called Strano Parts, you talked with Arlyn Strano, the kindest person found on this earth, with a contagious smile and a willingness to help. She was a cornerstone of this community and we all feel some of the loss.

Many here wanted to express our sincerest sympathies and condolences to the family and at the same time wanted to make a difference in people's lives. To that end, we would like to offer a donation to the American Cancer Society in her name so that her memory would remain in order to help others as Arlyn did so many times to all of us.

We started collecting donations among the staff and it has evolved to include everyone in this rather close knit community. After a lot of discussion, and in lieu of flowers, we thought this was the best way to honor someone who has been such a friend to all of us.

The whole FRRAX family knew her and felt her influence. This offering is from the collective hearts of all FRRAX members. It's our opportunity to say "Thank You and God Bless" in some lasting fashion.

If you would like to send your thoughts to the Strano family in the form of a donation to the American Cancer Society in Arlyn Strano's name, please PM me for a mailing address or paypal to:

glaser.kevin(at)att.net

I'll leave this open until the end of June.

Sam, our prayers and thoughts are with you and your family. So many here have been in your shoes and know the loss you feel. It is our way of extending our sympathies. I hope you don't mind this public display of our concern. Please let me know if you'd like me to remove or change this in any way.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
35th_Anniversary...
post May 31 2008, 08:27 PM
Post #2

Chapter 11 Racing

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 207

No offense to anyone here, but I feel the money would be better sent to a hospice than the American Cancer Society. I know that one of the local (to my old area) fundraisers was sued by the American Cancer Society (back in 2000 BC (before computers) ) because they gave a portion of the proceeds to local hospices rather than the whole proceeds to the American Cancer Society. I have not had any personal experience with either the ACC or hospices, but have heard that many people have better experiences with hospices.

However as it will be in Arlyn's name it should really be up to Sammy which charity the donations should go to.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post May 31 2008, 08:56 PM
Post #3

FRRAX Owner/Admin

As suggested, Sam will have the final say on the charity. If he wishes for us to change it, I would be honored to do as he wishes.

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post May 31 2008, 09:49 PM
Post #4

Nothing says 'I love you.' like a box of Hydroshoks

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (35th_Anniversary_AS_Camaro_SS @ May 31 2008, 03:27 PM) *
but I feel the money would be better sent to a hospice than the American Cancer Society.

Hospice is typically a for profit business.
They hold fund raisers to help defray the costs to indigent patients.
But they are still a for profit business.

ACS is a non-profit organization.

+Quote Post
Jeff94TA
post May 31 2008, 11:46 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 34

This is a great idea Kevin and I'm so happy that you are doing it. I'll send you a Paypal within the next few days.

Arlyn Strano was the genuine article. I never even met her but she was so wonderful to talk with that you just felt like you had known her all of your life. I'll never forget her literally jumping through hoops to get me a set of brake pads overnighted on very short notice. It was my own stupid failt for inspecting my car at the last minute before my next track event to find a brake problem but it didn't matter to Arlyn. I was a customer with a need and it was going to be solved. Sam had a set of HT-10's on the shelf for another customer but knew he had some time to replace them so they were mine. Sam Strano, Sr. walked across the street to the post office with the pads and they held the truck so he could get the pads shipped. This is the kind of people that the Strano's are and that Arlyn was. God speed Arlyn.

+Quote Post
marka
post Jun 1 2008, 03:52 AM
Post #6

Experienced Member

Member No.: 896

Howdy,

Just sent some money Kevin. Either ACC or whatever hospice is appropriate is fine with us.

Thanks for putting this together. Hopefully, with enough resources & work, we can stop cancer from taking folks we love from us. We're sending this money in Arlyn's name, but we're hoping it'll help folks in the future.

Mark

+Quote Post
marka
post Jun 1 2008, 03:56 AM
Post #7

Experienced Member

Member No.: 896

Howdy,

Kevin, can I publish this outside of frrax? I imagine folks on our local forum would be interested in participating.

Also... are you planning on doing anything for tax stuff? Its not a big deal to me either way, but it might net a bit more donations.

Mark

+Quote Post
Rob Hood
post Jun 1 2008, 04:51 AM
Post #8

Experienced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (marka @ May 31 2008, 08:56 PM) *
Howdy,

Kevin, can I publish this outside of frrax? I imagine folks on our local forum would be interested in participating.

Also... are you planning on doing anything for tax stuff? Its not a big deal to me either way, but it might net a bit more donations.

Mark

It will be tax-deductible if it is a non-profit organization AND you don't receive a sticker or something else from the organization. Just make sure you get a receipt for next year's taxes.

This post has been edited by Rob Hood: Jun 1 2008, 04:53 AM

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jun 1 2008, 02:23 PM
Post #9

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (marka @ May 31 2008, 11:56 PM) *
Howdy,

Mark

Mark, feel free to share. As long as Sam doesn't mind, I won't be offended.

I was trying to figure out how to handle the accounting for taxes (to get everyone a receipt). If anyone had experience with this, send a PM. Otherwise, I was just going to lump it into one pile and send it in. The tax refund on most donations isn't going to be worth the paperwork to turn in.

+Quote Post
firehawkclone
post Jun 1 2008, 08:58 PM
Post #10

Grumpy

Member No.: 81

I'm speachless..... The last I had heard she was doing fine!

She was a great lady, excactly like everybody has said she was. This is a lost that cannot be messured!

Sam my heart goes out to you and your family!

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Aug 4 2008, 04:13 PM
Post #11

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Guys,

I held this one open a little longer than I meant to. If anyone missed out and would like to donate, there is still time. I'll close this out in about two weeks.

And, I spoke to Sam and Arlyn had requested that donations go to the local library where she spent a considerable amount of time with younger members of her family. So, we will honor her wishes and donate to the local library.

Thanks!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:06 AM