IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Solo PerformanceHotpart.comUMI PerformanceUnbalanced EngineeringBlaine Fabrication.com

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dealing with bad /old gas- Suggestions?
jensend
post Apr 9 2018, 06:40 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 210

So, due to a litany of odd circumstances, the "ethanol enhanced" gas in my '02 Z-28 has sat long enough to "spoil". Other than removing the tank or using the fuel pump to pump out the gas though a fuel line, does anyone have any trick to deal effectively with this old gas? I have to deal with this before I'm able to do other necessary repairs and prep the car for the season. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
leebo
post Apr 9 2018, 07:02 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 7,103

QUOTE (jensend @ Apr 9 2018, 02:40 PM) *
So, due to a litany of odd circumstances, the "ethanol enhanced" gas in my '02 Z-28 has sat long enough to "spoil". Other than removing the tank or using the fuel pump to pump out the gas though a fuel line, does anyone have any trick to deal effectively with this old gas? I have to deal with this before I'm able to do other necessary repairs and prep the car for the season. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

I just completed the same thing this past weekend.
I already had a access cover cut in the hatch for easy fuel pump access. I bought a 15$ hand siphon pump from Autozone and pumped into 2- 5 gallon buckets.
Now, I have to figure out how to get rid of all the rust I see thru the fuel pump hole. Just bought 5 gallons of vinegar. Probably need 5 more gallons. I'm not sure if this will work but I'm gonna try. I've dropped the tank before and it really sucks!
I removed mine because my second fuel pump just quit. Its a track car so it sits for long periods of time without running and I think this kills the fuel pump.

+Quote Post
slowTA
post Apr 9 2018, 07:37 PM
Post #3

Experienced Member

Member No.: 331

Drain it and dump small amounts in each tank of the daily driver?

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Apr 9 2018, 08:58 PM
Post #4

Veteran Member

Member No.: 385

QUOTE (slowTA @ Apr 9 2018, 02:37 PM) *
Drain it and dump small amounts in each tank of the daily driver?

I wouldn't do that. Not even in the lawn mower. The stuff is crap, probably acidic and probably has so much water dissolved it won't burn well.

Get it out any way you can and take it to the next hazardous waste collection your town has. The stuff won't run well in a car. The car may start, but will either run rough, and/or won't have any power to move it out of the garage. Run a couple of tanks full of fresh gas with a bottle or two of Techron to try to clean things out.

Had the same thing happen to our 86 SVO. Ended up replacing the fuel tank (steel) pump, sender and filter. Looks like I'm going to have to pull the injectors to send in to have cleaned/tested, as one seems to refuse to work.

I've since gone to running VP C9 in all of our 'frequently-unused' cars. Of course, we have a fleet of them, so getting a drum made sense. I now run it in everything but the DDs; the garage queens, the generators, the lawn mowers, the weed eaters, Margaritas, etc. VP says it'll stay 'fresh' for extended periods of storage. I do still run the generators empty, since they're tested only once a month, and when they're needed, they're NEEDED.

+Quote Post
mr.beachcomber
post Apr 10 2018, 12:31 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 142,803

Without dropping the tank, I would recommend running running the fuel pump to drain the tank's contents. Use fresh gas with a fuel system cleaner like Techron and run the engine until you use a quarter tank of fuel. Change the external fuel filter and then fill the tank with a blend of gas and Sta-Bil (if you aren't going to burn a full tank of fuel in 30 days). Additionally, I would change the external gas filter after the first 5K miles as a precaution.

After replacing two carburetors on the lawn mower in three years, I never leave any "ethanol-enhanced" fuel in the gas tank without adding Sta-Bil storage. Had my share of problems with E10 with my earlier Corvettes too. So now they all get Sta-Bil during a fill up.

Hope this helps!

+Quote Post
Mojave
post Apr 10 2018, 01:06 PM
Post #6

I suck at the auto-x :(

Member No.: 727

If you need something to do with the old fuel, post it for free on Craigslist. A buddy of mine had a tank of old gas in a Corvette he bought, and a guy with a Ford 9N tractor was more than happy to come pick it up and haul it away.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:43 PM