IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Solo PerformanceHotpart.comUnbalanced EngineeringUMI PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.com
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I think I want to change directions, I kinda want a street car again
trackbird
post May 1 2008, 05:16 PM
Post #1

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

This is going to be a bit strange (and probably too long). I sold my 2002 Z28 street/autocross car last year and bought a truck and a track car (2007 C3500 and 1992 Z28). At the time, I joked that if I bought that car, I'd wind up divorced. Well, I'm now divorced, but I have a car and a truck (and some other cars).

My local SCCA registration people pretty well irritated me at the last event to the point that I don't think I'm likely to run with them too much this year (if at all). And my current budget (and collective pile of cars) is not looking like much HPDE or wheel to wheel time is in my future. All of this means that I have a pretty fast, fairly sorted Camaro that I drive less than 100 miles a year (and now maybe not at all since it's not insured for street use right now) and I'm starting to miss driving a car that I enjoy. And, if I'm not autocrossing it, and not tracking it, I don't guess I really need to own it.

So, I'm starting to consider cleaning out my stable and finding a street car to drive again. Racerdad916 and I recently completed the work on the 2002 Taurus I have so it can be sold. That should let me buy my way out of the Mazdaspeed 6. I could sell the Camaro, use a bit of that cash to sell off my truck, pay off a few bills with some of the rest and go buy "something" fun to drive on a more regular basis (Corvette maybe? another 4th gen F-body?).

So, if I were to go car shopping, what should I go look at? I really want a 1991 C4 (updated body, 6 speed, non-lt1 car). I have had thoughts of a C5 Z06 (though I'm not a fan of what it takes to change a clutch in one of those). Or, I keep reading about Patreds f-body for sale (and others). Or, maybe I'll change directions, find a used truck and a kart? Or, I'm just off my rocker....

(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
LS1_Alex
post May 1 2008, 05:28 PM
Post #2

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,712

The 2009 camaro should be a good daily. Will have optional brembos etc.

+Quote Post
StanIROCZ
post May 1 2008, 05:37 PM
Post #3

Veteran Member

Member No.: 1,144

Get insurance on the teal wonder and drive it. What's the issue? Why are we talking about this?

+Quote Post
marka
post May 1 2008, 05:38 PM
Post #4

Experienced Member

Member No.: 896

Howdy,

Truck & kart are probably your best bet in terms of cheap motorsports & thrills on the track, but you'll still be driving a truck on the street.

In terms of street/track cars, I'd look at a non-z06 c5... The z06 part really only matters for autox / rules classes, at least to me. You can update all/most of it. Its not like an LS1 is weak... :-)

In terms of new cars, I'd have to take a really hard look at the Mustang.

You already know about fbodies. Its just a question of if you want one or not.

If it were me, I'd go truck/kart or keep what you have. But I've never cared what I drive on the street either...

Mark

+Quote Post
Mericet
post May 1 2008, 05:39 PM
Post #5

Scaring slow F body drivers with a VW diesel

Group: Member
Member No.: 376

QUOTE (trackbird @ May 1 2008, 01:16 PM) *
My local SCCA registration people pretty well irritated me at the last event to the point that I don't think I'm likely to run with them too much this year (if at all).

What did they do to annoy you?

+Quote Post
SStrokerAce
post May 1 2008, 05:40 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,646

Get a Solstice GXP or a nice used C4 or C5 vette.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post May 1 2008, 06:10 PM
Post #7

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (LS1_Alex @ May 1 2008, 01:28 PM) *
The 2009 camaro should be a good daily. Will have optional brembos etc.

I (so far) have had zero interest in the new F-body. Since I own this board many people expect that I'm waiting in line for one, but really I'm pretty indifferent about it now. Just like in the 60's, GM is 4 years late to copy Ford, but this time may not work out as well (and so far, I think it's ugly). We'll see.

QUOTE (StanIROCZ @ May 1 2008, 01:37 PM) *
Get insurance on the teal wonder and drive it. What's the issue? Why are we talking about this?

Bored, trying to cut expenses. Get rid of a car I'm not likely to drive anytime soon. Already paying $200 a month in insurance and they want about $75 a month more to let me drive my "worthless" (to them) Z28 on the street...and that's with no coverage on my car in an accident (I paid less to fully insure my 2002 Z28, I don't know if high school kids are wrecking these things at alarming rates or what). If I can dump the Mazdaspeed, I might drive the Camaro somewhat, but I always smell like gas when I get out of it, may not be great fun at work.

QUOTE (marka @ May 1 2008, 01:38 PM) *
If it were me, I'd go truck/kart or keep what you have. But I've never cared what I drive on the street either...

Mark

I don't really care what I drive on the street (and I like my truck), but it's the only driving I think I'll be doing anytime soon. And, I put $380 in fuel in my truck in about 11 days this in April. My LS1 Camaro got 29.5 mpg, my Mazdaspeed doesn't even do that (hence my thoughts of an M6 'Vette or Camaro/Firebird).

QUOTE (Mericet @ May 1 2008, 01:39 PM) *
QUOTE (trackbird @ May 1 2008, 01:16 PM) *
My local SCCA registration people pretty well irritated me at the last event to the point that I don't think I'm likely to run with them too much this year (if at all).

What did they do to annoy you?

I registered and put a note that I might have a credit from the test n tune that was going to get rained on. And, they didn't charge my co-driver and gave him a credit. When I walked up to registration, I gave my name and was almost yelled at with "WHY DO YOU THINK YOU HAVE A CREDIT? THERE ARE NO CREDITS, IF YOU DON'T COME TO THE EVENTS..." and it went on from there (but I know someone got a credit because they told me when I pulled in...but anyway). I got up at 5am to get a shower and load a car that wouldn't start the night before (I was up until 1am figuring out that it had a low battery, I charged it all night and loaded it in the morning) to tow 40 miles to get yelled at in registration (and then to wind up running in the rain anyway). I just decided I can find other things to do that don't involve the SCCA, but none of them will involve my car either.

QUOTE (SStrokerAce @ May 1 2008, 01:40 PM) *
Get a Solstice GXP or a nice used C4 or C5 vette.

Hmm, forgot about the Solstice. I do get a GM (and Ford and Chrysler) discount.

+Quote Post
StanIROCZ
post May 1 2008, 07:06 PM
Post #8

Veteran Member

QUOTE (trackbird @ May 1 2008, 02:10 PM) *
QUOTE (StanIROCZ @ May 1 2008, 01:37 PM) *

Bored, trying to cut expenses. Get rid of a car I'm not likely to drive anytime soon. Already paying $200 a month in insurance and they want about $75 a month more to let me drive my "worthless" (to them) Z28 on the street...and that's with no coverage on my car in an accident (I paid less to fully insure my 2002 Z28, I don't know if high school kids are wrecking these things at alarming rates or what). If I can dump the Mazdaspeed, I might drive the Camaro somewhat, but I always smell like gas when I get out of it, may not be great fun at work.

You must be getting insurance from the wrong company. I'll dig up some info on mine. I'm paying ~$500 a year for 15k collision coverage plus everything else.

but I always smell like gas when I get out of it, may not be great fun at work.
I thought you were a gear head. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/nutkick.gif) How disappointing. I put a splash of 93 octane on my neck before I go out on the weekend. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/cool2.gif)

+Quote Post
trackbird
post May 1 2008, 07:28 PM
Post #9

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (StanIROCZ @ May 1 2008, 03:06 PM) *
I thought you were a gear head. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/nutkick.gif) How disappointing. I put a splash of 93 octane on my neck before I go out on the weekend. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/cool2.gif)

Is that what I was smelling in the bar in Detroit? I was trying to tell if it was Shell or Sunoco. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
roadracetransam
post May 1 2008, 08:21 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,201

Trackbird,

At least you are not indecisive!

(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

+Quote Post
trackbird
post May 1 2008, 08:33 PM
Post #11

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (roadracetransam @ May 1 2008, 04:21 PM) *
Trackbird,

At least you are not indecisive!

(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

I don't think I'm indecisive, but I'm not really sure. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/drink.gif)

+Quote Post
StanIROCZ
post May 1 2008, 09:37 PM
Post #12

Veteran Member

QUOTE (trackbird @ May 1 2008, 03:28 PM) *
QUOTE (StanIROCZ @ May 1 2008, 03:06 PM) *

Is that what I was smelling in the bar in Detroit? I was trying to tell if it was Shell or Sunoco. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
I can't remember what I had on that night... Could have been the 10W-40 in my hair??

I'm going to be driving my Jerico to work soon. I could be talking out my ass because MAYBE I'll say "its too loud" or I'll get sick of grinding gears, but if I don't, YOU ARE A HUGE WIMP!! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

And if that's the case, BUY A MUSTANG and start MRRAX.com, because WE DON'T WANT YOU!! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/buttkick.gif) Just kiddning.

I think you'll come too your senses soon and regret ever starting this thread. You've had an F-bod too long to do something rash like this.

+Quote Post
prockbp
post May 1 2008, 10:05 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

I know exactly how you feel.

I have a kick ass IROC just sitting in my garage. I can't drive it legally on the street, and I definately miss driving a car that actually turns and accelerates like I want it to.

BUT...

No car can match the thrill that my motorcycle gives me on the street... and it's just a sport-touring motorcycle.

SO...

buy a 4-6k dollar sport bike, pay $100/yr for liability insurance and be happy.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post May 1 2008, 10:10 PM
Post #14

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (StanIROCZ @ May 1 2008, 05:37 PM) *
I'm going to be driving my Jerico to work soon. I could be talking out my ass because MAYBE I'll say "its too loud" or I'll get sick of grinding gears, but if I don't, YOU ARE A HUGE WIMP!! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

The day I found out I was getting divorced, I did drive it to work (in "Nashville" trim). I also drove it on a 150 mile round trip. I wound up in a rainstorm with no interior lights, the climate controls laying on the floor (with the wires for the power windows) and I wasn't really sure I was going to get home that night. I've been there. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

QUOTE (prockbp @ May 1 2008, 06:05 PM) *
...buy a 4-6k dollar sport bike, pay $100/yr for liability insurance and be happy.

My last bike ride ended with me landing in a field at 125 mph (really) and sliding several hundred feet. This was right before I was handed some tickets and a totalled bike was towed home. I've sworn them off since then (because I'm stupid (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ).

+Quote Post
slowTA
post May 1 2008, 10:22 PM
Post #15

Experienced Member

Member No.: 331

I know how you feel Kevin. I almost bought a GTO as a daily driver but knew it would distract me from the Firebird. I got a normal daily driver instead, so it is still a thrill to drive the Firebird a few times a year. It would be nice to drive the Firebird more often but it isn't all that comfy, its kind of noisy, it is old so there are things I should fix... and look at it, it is kind of embarrassing to drive something that color.

I would keep the truck and the teal thing, then decide which of the other cars would be 'adequate' as daily driver. Or maybe downgrade the truck by a few years and go with something a little nicer daily driver.

+Quote Post
AndyJ
post May 1 2008, 10:26 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 791

TB,

You miss driving a performance car or fooling with it in the garage?

+Quote Post
trackbird
post May 1 2008, 10:30 PM
Post #17

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (AndyJ @ May 1 2008, 06:26 PM) *
TB,

I can work on it. I just can't afford to register for events, tow it anywhere or actually drive it right now. If it were a street car, I'd just keep it and drive the thing some. I've had a craving for my old (any of them) T-top cars on a nice evening. My recent budget reorginazation (divorce) has put a crimp in my towing and entry fee budget. So, I'm trying to decide how to downsize and have fun.

+Quote Post
AndyJ
post May 1 2008, 10:42 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 791

QUOTE (trackbird @ May 1 2008, 05:30 PM) *
QUOTE (AndyJ @ May 1 2008, 06:26 PM) *
TB,

I can work on it. I just can't afford to register for events, tow it anywhere or actually drive it right now. If it were a street car, I'd just keep it and drive the thing some. I've had a craving for my old (any of them) T-top cars on a nice evening. My recent budget reorginazation (divorce) has put a crimp in my towing and entry fee budget. So, I'm trying to decide how to downsize and have fun.

You know I sorta went through this and my solution was to simplify. Looking back, it was a good decision. I ebayed and craiglist-ed tons o' stuff. Everything that wasn't necessary and little used was outta here. I think I had 6 vehicles, 3 high end audio systems, 4 TV's, 2 of most every tool, guns and tacticool stuff I never used, computer stuff and multiple computers that were getting older and more out of date by the day---etc etc etc. It was fun and added quite a bit of dinero.

Once you clean out the clutter, it is easier to see the path.

+Quote Post
nape
post May 1 2008, 11:38 PM
Post #19

Veteran Member

Member No.: 540

Sell the Protege and Taurus, find a cheap daily beater (I like my current 5 speed Saturn wagon) and it'll pay for itself in no time. Let the truck and teal machine sit until you build up sufficient money from gas savings to do some track days.

That's what I did. My van cost me $100/week to drive to work when gas was $3/gallon and the Saturn only cost me $25/week at the same price. That's the entry fee to a track day a month. Yeah, it's not a real sporty ride, but it keeps you happy being able to row your own gears and squeal the 185/70/14s all the way around the off-ramp. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

My dad and my uncle have been telling me this for a long time, "A race car is way better then a girlfriend. You can let it sit around for as long as you want and it's still just as happy whenever you decide to come back to it. The maintenance is less and you can beat the crap out of it and it'll still love you." (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/rotf.gif)

+Quote Post
SStrokerAce
post May 2 2008, 12:32 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,646

Good comment on the GF vs. Race Car.... I always have to keep mine out of the race car!

This thread reminds me of something I have to tell customers a lot. Remember what you want out of a car! If you want something you can drive then you have to remember not to make it into a 100% drag or road race car. It's not going to be AS good at racing but if you like tooling around in it then it has to have some trade offs. Two things other than an interior make a car a fun street car to me, how well it drives and how loud it is. If it's too loud you want to shoot somone, if it drives like complete ass then you don't want to drive it. One is easy to fix with the exhaust and it's not going to hurt power too bad and the other is pretty much cam choice. The right camshaft always makes the car drivable.

I personally don't even drive my SS much anymore. On Sundays it gets packed up with tires and goes up to 3 hours away, gets beat on all day and then driven back home and maybe taken for a drive around town once a week. I autoX the car just so I do something with it!

Then again the daily driver needs to be somewhat fun. Mine is a Silverado 1500 with 20's on it, still needs the ported LS6 heads in the shop, small cam, headers, lowering springs and new shocks. Right now it has enough power and the 20's have made it bareable to drive thru corners. Part of me always says to just leave it alone, spend that $$$ on 710's and maybe trade it in on a G8 "ute" when it comes out.

I would say one of the cars I enjoyed beating the hell out of was my first car, a '94 Saturn SC2. (Thanks for reminding me nape) That with ABS gives you 4 wheel discs and a 5 speed makes it fun. It has 130hp, 2400lbs and you can put 205 tires on stock wheels easy..... hell if I could find a nice cheap one I would pick one up and use it for a car to tool around in.

Bret

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 10:24 AM