IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hotpart.comBlaine Fabrication.comUnbalanced EngineeringSolo PerformanceUMI Performance
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thirdgen CP car on ebay
roostmeyer
post Feb 26 2010, 10:16 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 3,727

Saw this on sccaforums, looks like a pretty well put together car.

I have no association with the seller. Less than a day left, really makes me wonder what the reserve is...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-C...=item439d7fa7af
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Feb 26 2010, 11:44 PM
Post #2

Nothing says 'I love you.' like a box of Hydroshoks

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4

$15K in bids and the reserve still hasn't been met?

Some one mind telling me what's the attraction?

+Quote Post
jeffburch
post Feb 27 2010, 12:11 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,005

LOL!
I agree.
I pm'd the guy about the auto tranny.
Said that's what he needs for the type of racing he did.

jb

+Quote Post
Mojave
post Feb 27 2010, 12:44 AM
Post #4

I suck at the auto-x :(

Member No.: 727

QUOTE (mitchntx @ Feb 26 2010, 05:44 PM) *

Looks like a pretty well setup car, other than it's over 310 CI (thus gets a weight penalty). Full floater, custom (and hopefully well done) front suspension, converted to Wide 5. I'm sure the cost to build was significantly higher.

QUOTE (jeffburch @ Feb 26 2010, 06:11 PM) *
LOL!
I agree.
I pm'd the guy about the auto tranny.
Said that's what he needs for the type of racing he did.

jb

I guess I don't fully understand your point. Auto's are quite popular in CP (especially with a full manual valve body), and it seems the top 10 at Nationals are split pretty evenly between auto and manual.

Rather, if you are calling auto-x not racing, well, that's another discussion entirely (ask Todd or Strano what they think about that).

+Quote Post
vinax
post Feb 27 2010, 01:46 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 8,311

QUOTE (mitchntx @ Feb 27 2010, 05:14 AM) *

Maybe the economy is making a comeback? Some of top running cars have not fetched this much.

+Quote Post
jeffburch
post Feb 27 2010, 02:21 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,005

QUOTE (Mojave @ Feb 26 2010, 06:44 PM) *
I guess I don't fully understand your point. Auto's are quite popular in CP (especially with a full manual valve body), and it seems the top 10 at Nationals are split pretty evenly between auto and manual.

Rather, if you are calling auto-x not racing, well, that's another discussion entirely (ask Todd or Strano what they think about that).

Let me be more clear.
It is my OPINION an auto tranny in a car instantly says it aint a race car, regardless of what it's racing (clock or otherwise).

jb

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Feb 27 2010, 03:06 AM
Post #7

Chad I'm sure it is expensive to do all that. Just not sure why a person would, though.

QUOTE (vinax @ Feb 26 2010, 07:46 PM) *
QUOTE (mitchntx @ Feb 27 2010, 05:14 AM) *

Maybe the economy is making a comeback? Some of top running cars have not fetched this much.

My thoughts exactly.

I've seen nicer appearing cars, nicely prepped, not get $15K in bids.

A good for instance is Blaine's ITE car for $10K ... no takers. Or Dennis' 2K1 for $17.5 ... still for sale.

+Quote Post
1meanZ
post Feb 27 2010, 04:33 AM
Post #8

Mullet club chairman

Member No.: 1,135

this car is dirty and rough in my opinion. The suspension parts that matter may be in the right spot but the car just looks beat up to me. Normally that doesnt matter for a race car but if I was going to pay 15k for a race car like that it better look good and serve me breakfast too. I have no clue why this car is bid up that high.

Also upon further inspection, I don't much care for the roll cage, especially the various back stays.

This post has been edited by 1meanZ: Feb 27 2010, 01:23 PM

+Quote Post
Racing Geek
post Feb 27 2010, 12:54 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,924

That sure looks set up well. I would pass even if I had the money... there are just too many other things I would want to get. There's two local motorcycles that I'd really love to get.

+Quote Post
1meanZ
post Feb 27 2010, 01:19 PM
Post #10

Mullet club chairman

QUOTE (Racing Geek @ Feb 27 2010, 07:54 AM) *
That sure looks set up well. I would pass even if I had the money... there are just too many other things I would want to get. There's two local motorcycles that I'd really love to get.

Yah for that kind of money I'd buy a C5..

+Quote Post
StanIROCZ
post Feb 27 2010, 02:10 PM
Post #11

Veteran Member

Member No.: 1,144

You and I both could have bought a C5 for the money that we've put into our cars. THe difference his that it is our junk, not someone elses.

There are quite a few things that I don't car for on the car also, but I'm sure it is still fast. Not many 3rd gens with SLA's, so that is cool. I don't really like how the front frame is supported after the shock towers etc were hacked out.

I don't care for all the tubing going through the middle of the car. Not effective for chassis stiffning. Backstrays are placed wrong also, like you mentioned.

This post has been edited by StanIROCZ: Feb 27 2010, 02:13 PM

+Quote Post
vinax
post Feb 27 2010, 09:16 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (StanIROCZ @ Feb 27 2010, 07:40 PM) *
I don't really like how the front frame is supported after the shock towers etc were hacked out.

Thats standard CP fare. Here's mine. Stronger than a factory car mount.
(IMG:http://lh4.ggpht.com/_0inMWze854Q/Sgz2kslFVKI/AAAAAAAAB7Q/4uaFujq0RHU/s800/Interior-under%20shots%20045.jpg)
BOTTOM
(IMG:http://lh4.ggpht.com/_0inMWze854Q/Sgz3FBEHMQI/AAAAAAAAB9c/xMG9qoMi0BQ/s800/Interior-under%20shots%20043.jpg)

+Quote Post
1meanZ
post Feb 28 2010, 12:29 AM
Post #13

Mullet club chairman

You and I both could have bought a C5 for the money that we've put into our cars. THe difference his that it is our junk, not someone elses.

Yah that is true. The white trashyness of my IROC certainly is a reflection on it's owner. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/cool2.gif)

QUOTE (vinax @ Feb 27 2010, 04:16 PM) *
I don't really like how the front frame is supported after the shock towers etc were hacked out.

Thats standard CP fare. Here's mine. Stronger than a factory car mount.

that doesn't look like a thirdgen front subframe from what I can tell but I could be wrong. What is that?

This post has been edited by 1meanZ: Feb 28 2010, 12:52 AM

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Feb 28 2010, 12:33 AM
Post #14

I'm glad some on else thought that. The frame rails appear to follow a 4th gen path, not a 3G.

+Quote Post
1meanZ
post Feb 28 2010, 12:54 AM
Post #15

Mullet club chairman

QUOTE (mitchntx @ Feb 27 2010, 07:33 PM) *
I'm glad some on else thought that. The frame rails appear to follow a 4th gen path, not a 3G.

it looks like a full framed car like a G-body to me, or possibly a 2nd gen front frame section.

+Quote Post
vinax
post Feb 28 2010, 02:04 AM
Post #16

QUOTE (1meanZ @ Feb 28 2010, 06:24 AM) *
QUOTE (mitchntx @ Feb 27 2010, 07:33 PM) *

it looks like a full framed car like a G-body to me, or possibly a 2nd gen front frame section.

1978 Malibu

This post has been edited by vinax: Feb 28 2010, 02:05 AM

+Quote Post
1meanZ
post Feb 28 2010, 03:25 AM
Post #17

Mullet club chairman

QUOTE (vinax @ Feb 27 2010, 09:04 PM) *
1978 Malibu

I get bonus points for calling that one! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)

at any rate we're comparing apples to oranges at this point. That G-body has a totally different setup in the front than a thirdgen. I think my issue with the black thirdgen being converted like that is that the stock "frame rails" if you even can call them that, aren't made for any kind of twisting load. All the load is put into the cross member and into the wheel tub which is attached all the way around. He has cut the tub out and now the frame rails have to support the car which I'm not sure they are designed to do. I would just like to see a more involved tube structure on the shock mount to attach the frame rails to the firewall and the rest of the cage. Just my $.02. I've never built a CP car.

+Quote Post
marka
post Mar 1 2010, 04:10 PM
Post #18

Experienced Member

Member No.: 896

Howdy,

First, I think the reserve price was too high, if the guy really needed to sell it.

Second, I'm sure he's into it for well over that amount and if you wanted to build one yourself, you would be as well. I bet the motor is $10k alone.

Third, the car was built by Ron at R&S Racing (the guy who's won the CP national championship a couple times and has a great reputation), and Ron's come out since the auction was posted and said that the car was faster than his car when it was built.

Fourth, I think some of you should go talk to drag racers and tell them their automatic means the car isn't a race car. Transmission choice is application driven, and as someone already pointed out, the auto vs. manual choice is pretty well represented on both sides in CP at nationals.

Fifth, evaluating the car on the basis of other cars that aren't at the top of their class (a camaro ITE car, for instance), is stupid. I'd expect the build quality on Alan's car to be quite nice for sure, but I'd also expect it to get slaughtered _in CP autox_.

Mark

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Mar 1 2010, 06:15 PM
Post #19

No need to call folks stupid. I was just asking what the attraction was.

Having built a couple cars and subsequently almost giving them away, it surprised me that car was getting that high of a bid.

+Quote Post
turbotoddie
post Mar 1 2010, 07:17 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 1,263

To add to Mark's comments. The car is/was much faster than the driver. Don is a nice guy but didn't run the car very long before changing his interests. When this car was built, everything was new and no expense was spared. FWIW, selling price is only a matter of what people want. The 69 CP Camaro I drove for Shawn Cousins 5 or 6 yrs ago sold for 25k. The 79 I own part of was for sale for three years with two second's and a third at Natls and we couldn't sell it for 20k. On paper the 79 was better but the 69 sold.

1meanz, I would suggest to not belittle other people's cars, endeavors, etc without more experience under your belt. Different strokes for different folks, you know.

FWIW Mitch, I understand the 'giving away a car you built' issue. I have built one or two and sold them way to cheap not believing anyone would pay big money for a used race car. Worse than that, the people I sold them too sold them for significantly more profit.

As for used CP cars, I expected it to go somewhere from 9-12k. I was very surprised with no pedigree someone would pay 15k. However, with my discounts for being a stock car parts dealer, I couldn't duplicate the parts for 15k. If you have ever built a ground up racecar, you will understand what I mean. Building a car seems affordable until you start adding the little things like paint, brake pads, gauges, (name your small part), etc.

Before the flames start, I enjoy my 540hp CP car more than a 260hp roadrace car or my 400hp LS1 street car or my 440hp Late Model stockcar. I love to RACE and the more power, the better! Don't get me wrong, wheel to wheel is a blast but any COMPETITION is FUN!

Todd Farris
79 Camaro CP
89 Turbo TA CP
(2) Ford Fusion Aspalt Late Model Stockcar
98 Formula former lapper

This post has been edited by turbotoddie: Mar 1 2010, 07:26 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 11:11 AM