IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Hotpart.comUnbalanced EngineeringBlaine Fabrication.comSolo PerformanceUMI Performance
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> new to road racing
DrivinSidewayz
post Dec 16 2009, 03:44 AM
Post #1

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,026

hell i have always been into cars, i had a 95 ta, modded it, had fun and sold it. but once i was spectating at infineon a few years ago and watched a road race heat with 4th gens, and mid 90's mustangs. what is the lowest mod level or class you can start in? i only know of scca or whatever and still don't know of specific classes within the scca. i would like to purchase an LT1 6 speed again and start at step one.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Dec 16 2009, 05:15 AM
Post #2

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

CMC (Camaro Mustang Challenge) which is sanctioned by NASA (National Auto Sport Association).

These should get you started.

http://www.camaromustangchallenge.com/

http://www.nasaproracing.com

Check out American Iron and American Iron Extreme on the nasa site, but CMC is the place to start (after HPDE from NASA to get licensed).

+Quote Post
AllZWay
post Dec 16 2009, 02:44 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 74

CMC is definitely the place to race. It is probably the cheapest and best racing anywhere.

Take a look at this years Texas 2009 recap video in this thread.

http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?sho...c=13760&hl=

This post has been edited by AllZWay: Dec 16 2009, 02:44 PM

+Quote Post
rmackintosh
post Dec 16 2009, 03:56 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 27

The best way to decide is to get to some races and see it for yourself and talk to some people. You can find the local SCCA schedule here: http://www.sfrscca.org/images/2010/2010roa...hedule11_14.pdf

Both clubs offer stregths and benefits different from each other. Many here will be NASAcentric due to the CMC series...but both clubs have great things to offer. Check it out yourself and see what is right for you!

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Dec 16 2009, 04:59 PM
Post #5

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

QUOTE (rmackintosh @ Dec 16 2009, 10:56 AM) *
Many here will be NASAcentric due to the CMC series...but both clubs have great things to offer. Check it out yourself and see what is right for you!

Randy makes a great point and it's excellent advice.

My answer was based on:

QUOTE (DrivinSidewayz @ Dec 15 2009, 10:44 PM) *
what is the lowest mod level or class you can start in?

That sounded like CMC to me. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

There are a few places to race these cars and it's a great idea to check out a few of them before making a decision to build or buy a car. Right now cars have been changing hands for pennies on the dollar. You can probably buy a nice legal race car for far less than you can build one. However, a few have been burned by illegal cages (too many points, wrong tubing material and so on), etc. So it's worth having someone knowledgeable help you check out any potential purchases.

+Quote Post
firehawkclone
post Dec 16 2009, 05:29 PM
Post #6

Grumpy

Member No.: 81

The best thing to do is just go out to an event(or more) and just volunteer as a worker. You get to see/ hear everything first hand, and they never turn away anybody that wants to help. Just get in touch with the local club by email and they will get you on the right path!

This is what i did and it really helps to know whats going on when you do decide to start tracking a car! Its a great time with like minded people! I started with SFR SCCA than on to Cal Club SCCA, now i race with NASA SoCal.

+Quote Post
rmackintosh
post Dec 16 2009, 05:37 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 27

QUOTE (trackbird @ Dec 16 2009, 11:59 AM) *
QUOTE (rmackintosh @ Dec 16 2009, 10:56 AM) *
Many here will be NASAcentric due to the CMC series...but both clubs have great things to offer. Check it out yourself and see what is right for you!

Randy makes a great point and it's excellent advice.

My answer was based on:

QUOTE (DrivinSidewayz @ Dec 15 2009, 10:44 PM) *
what is the lowest mod level or class you can start in?

That sounded like CMC to me. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

There are a few places to race these cars and it's a great idea to check out a few of them before making a decision to build or buy a car. Right now cars have been changing hands for pennies on the dollar. You can probably buy a nice legal race car for far less than you can build one. However, a few have been burned by illegal cages (too many points, wrong tubing material and so on), etc. So it's worth having someone knowledgeable help you check out any potential purchases.

I agree, if you have the coin, now is an EXCELLENT time to buy a FULLY prepped race car ON THE CHEAP! ....it's the economy stupid! ;-)

I can tell you from experience that building your own car, while it SOUNDS like a good idea and cheaper, IT WILL COST MUCH MORE TO BUILD YOUR OWN CAR THAN BUYING A RACE READY CAR!

There is "cheap" racing in SCCA too....just have to be willing to race with those guys.... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)

+Quote Post
BPWilliams
post Dec 16 2009, 07:10 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,458

Ditto! my $3K AI car is now up to $8K and many......many...... did I say many.... man hours! I would have been better of buying a sorted out car as a foundation for sure!

I run with two different clubs NASA and ASA just because the crowd is different at each event, AND some clubs have locks on certain tracks and it is nice to run at different venues.

+Quote Post
Sidney
post Dec 16 2009, 08:21 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 122

Hey Drivingsideways,

Where are you located?

Sidney Franklin
Nasa Midwest
CMC #64

+Quote Post
DrivinSidewayz
post Dec 16 2009, 08:22 PM
Post #10

wow, thanks for the support. the cmc sounds like my style, i hate fords, it allows me to have some sort of grudge in life (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) . i know how cars can become money pits. my circle of friends here in town are fabricators, builders, headporter etc, so the joy of building and racing my own car is the gratification i am after(not to mention get notoriety for clients). that and im not ready to have a dedicated race car so it has to be street driven as well ( i could care less about practicality as i have a small truck but it would need working signals and whatever a real street car requires). btw my name is jason and im in the napa valley, inbetween infineon and thunder hill.

This post has been edited by DrivinSidewayz: Dec 16 2009, 08:44 PM

+Quote Post
DrivinSidewayz
post Dec 16 2009, 08:42 PM
Post #11

ive been looking at the cmc rules.. more so glancing. it seems that not much weight reduction can be done and not much engine modification can be done. what are the required mods that need to be done? other than wear a helmet?

why is a 3rd gen 350 considered cmc2 and a LT1 considered cmc1? an lt1 could do donuts inbetween turns and still make better lap times it seems....

where is the list of specifically allowed modifications? nevermind i just needed to read a little further (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

im guessing an LT4 knock module isnt allowed? that allowed my LT1 to run alot smoother...

man im getting juiced reading about the cmc. how many of you are running restricor plate?

This post has been edited by DrivinSidewayz: Dec 16 2009, 09:04 PM

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Dec 16 2009, 09:12 PM
Post #12

I build race cars

Member No.: 874

Another option for you is NASA Time Trial, which can be run with no more prep than HPDE. Get your car on track in HPDE, shake out the bugs and get a bunch of seat time with instructors, then move to TT while you plan a CMC build.

NASA NorCal schedule: http://www.nasanorcal.com/

I run tech at all the NASA NorCal events, glad to answer any questions.

PS read the rule books first, then the answers to your questions will make more sense.

NASA CCR: http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf car prep rules sections 11 and 15, but read the rest also.

This post has been edited by Blainefab: Dec 18 2009, 08:25 AM

+Quote Post
Unbalanced Engin...
post Dec 16 2009, 09:12 PM
Post #13

Sponsor

Member No.: 152

Hey Jason,

Welcome.

CMC doesn't allow engine mods to the newer motors, restricts the LS1 / LT1 and the older ones allow a few to get them up to CMC2 power levels. The idea is to provide cheap close racing. A good bit can be done to the suspension, you can gut the hell out of the cars so you can get a LOT of weight out.

The Norcal / Socal regions both have a lot of CMC and CMC2 cars. As far as mods go, heres a short list.

Intake box = free
exh = free after exh manifolds
interior can be gutted
unused brackets can be removed
must use stock windshild and rear hatch
rear wing or spoiler may be added
suspension bushing material is free
Spring rates can be changed (must stay in stock location)
Any factory bar can be used within a model series (3rd gen bars cannot be used on a 4th gen etc)
TA must be stock
Race shocks may be used (less than $800 / set)
Rear suspension arms may be replaced, but must be stock length
Any diff may be used
Any shifter may be used

In CMC2 other things like more power and aftermarket brakes can also be used, as well as larger tires.

HTH,

Jason S.

This post has been edited by Unbalanced Engineering: Dec 16 2009, 09:13 PM

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Dec 16 2009, 09:18 PM
Post #14

I build race cars

Member No.: 874

QUOTE (DrivinSidewayz @ Dec 15 2009, 07:44 PM) *
i would like to purchase an LT1 6 speed again and start at step one.

Several good donor cars are available here in the bay area - check the classifieds or give me a call.

+Quote Post
firehawkclone
post Dec 16 2009, 10:04 PM
Post #15

Grumpy

Member No.: 81

I think the lt1 has been ok'd top be used in a 3rd gen.

+Quote Post
DrivinSidewayz
post Dec 16 2009, 10:10 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (Blainefab @ Dec 16 2009, 03:18 PM) *
QUOTE (DrivinSidewayz @ Dec 15 2009, 07:44 PM) *
i would like to purchase an LT1 6 speed again and start at step one.

Several good donor cars are available here in the bay area - check the classifieds or give me a call.

im looking to buying a complete streetable car for probably at most $3000. preferance being hard top crank window camaro. i sold my trans am because i replaced the window motor 4 times, i had the brass gears for the headlights but then the motors gears were stripping yada yada. i would love a 1le no mods. im debating on keeping my exhaust system and using it on the street or selling it to put toward a car (FLP racepipe/cat setup with corsa premium tip catback) oops i didnt post 35 posts yet (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) also im pretty sure i want a 95. imo it's the best year, odb1, vented opti, closer gears than 93's although only a few 93's have the shorter 1st gear don't they? other than a cleaner engine bay is there any real advantage to running a 93 with speed density? also don't 93's have other disadvantages to later years such as smaller injectors?

getting dialed in through time trials sounds the way to go. other than mountain drives with other built cars, ive been in go kart races, but obviously an open track with 300hp cars would be different.

+Quote Post
DrivinSidewayz
post Dec 16 2009, 10:28 PM
Post #17

so hdpe i can bring anything? or are there restrictions to what type of cars you can bring or i mean i wouldnt want to look like a jack ass driving a 92 ranger 5sp 2wd around the track(i would though...)... just as long as it's teched? pay my fees and then group 1 requires a ride along? how fast do you progress through the groups? i remember when i was bmx racing there was a certain amount of wins and youd move up in class but if you showed you were dominant in a class they would move you up on the spot. im like shaking im getting excited.

my understanding is that in HPDE i can bring any bone stock car and learn the track?

This post has been edited by DrivinSidewayz: Dec 16 2009, 10:29 PM

+Quote Post
CMC #37
post Dec 16 2009, 11:03 PM
Post #18

CMCer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 194

Just saw this, I can definitely help you with that f-bod racing thing! I am usually a CMC and track day regular at T-Hill, not this year due to a pooped motor, but will be back next year with a new motor and much enthusiasm after the time off. I'll be at Family and Friends day at Thunderhill Monday December 28th. If you can possibly make that I will be there giving rides to my friends in my '96 TA hard top LT1 six speed street car, which is for sale and I'll take a firm $3800.00 for it as we just put a low mile motor in it and fixed the AC. That would be a great way to get you started. The motor in that car is freak with a ton of power! I also know the history of it from my buddy's car ('96 WS6), which makes it a very good way to go.

Come on out and we can talk about CMC. If you can't make that give me a call at 530-669-3236 (biz phone) that I am most easily reached at.

+Quote Post
DrivinSidewayz
post Dec 17 2009, 12:10 AM
Post #19

QUOTE (CMC #37 @ Dec 16 2009, 05:03 PM) *
Just saw this, I can definitely help you with that f-bod racing thing! I am usually a CMC and track day regular at T-Hill, not this year due to a pooped motor, but will be back next year with a new motor and much enthusiasm after the time off. I'll be at Family and Friends day at Thunderhill Monday December 28th. If you can possibly make that I will be there giving rides to my friends in my '96 TA hard top LT1 six speed street car, which is for sale and I'll take a firm $3800.00 for it as we just put a low mile motor in it and fixed the AC. That would be a great way to get you started. The motor in that car is freak with a ton of power! I also know the history of it from my buddy's car ('96 WS6), which makes it a very good way to go.

Come on out and we can talk about CMC. If you can't make that give me a call at 530-669-3236 (biz phone) that I am most easily reached at.

coming out at thunder hill sounds fun. i don't want to set your hopes up with buying your car but if you want to shoot the shit and all it would be fun to come out with a friend of mine. im kicking myself for selling my 95 ta. it was super clean and silver and trapped 107mph with only long tubes and 3600#

+Quote Post
CMC #37
post Dec 17 2009, 05:17 AM
Post #20

CMCer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 194

QUOTE (DrivinSidewayz @ Dec 16 2009, 07:10 PM) *
QUOTE (CMC #37 @ Dec 16 2009, 05:03 PM) *

coming out at thunder hill sounds fun. i don't want to set your hopes up with buying your car but if you want to shoot the shit and all it would be fun to come out with a friend of mine. im kicking myself for selling my 95 ta. it was super clean and silver and trapped 107mph with only long tubes and 3600#

No biggie! My '96 Formula is silver! C'mon out. Let me know if you can make it for sure!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 04:46 PM