IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

UMI PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.comHotpart.comUnbalanced EngineeringSolo Performance
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GP on Blaine Fabrication spoiler, 4th gen Z28, TransAm, C4 Corvette
Blainefab
post Apr 5 2006, 06:55 PM
Post #1

I build race cars

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 874

Announcing Group Purchase pricing on Blaine Fab's Lexan rear spoiler: The spoiler replaces the OEM spoiler for approx 7# weight saving. All hardware is stainless steel and aluminum. Angle of spoiler is adjustable from approx straight up to approx 45deg layback. Adjustment is accomplished without use of tools. The spoiler is mounted by drilling 10 holes thru the rear of the decklid, and bolting it on. The RR version has been proven on ITE, AI and CMC cars.

Normal pricing (prices do not include shipping or CA sales tax for deliveries in CA) on the BF spoiler is:
Open Road Race 5" $390
Road Race 7.5" $400
Prepared autox 10" $430

For this GP, for a total of 3 to 5 sales (combined any version) I will drop the prices 15%, ie:
Open Road Race 5" $332
Road Race 7.5" $340
Prepared autox 10" $366

If the GP generates a total of 6 or more sales (combined any version) I will drop the prices 20%, ie:
Open Road Race 5" $312
Road Race 7.5" $320
Prepared autox 10" $344

I will leave the GP open for 10days, please post interest or questions on this thread. For a firm order, please PM me or email me at ablaine (at) cruzio (dot) com, or call the shop at 831 427-3296.

Here is the spoiler on a 94 T/A:

(IMG:http://www.geckoranch.com/cars/images/spoilerbig.jpg)

And on a 4th gen Camaro:

(IMG:http://gallery.noid.org/albums/album23/Picture_006.sized.jpg)

Thanks and regards,
Alan Blaine
Blaine Fabrication

This post has been edited by Blainefab: Apr 6 2006, 11:35 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
John_D.
post Apr 5 2006, 09:13 PM
Post #2

Engine and Tools Moderator

Member No.: 6

I´m interested in the RR 7.5".

+Quote Post
Nick
post Apr 6 2006, 12:33 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 47

Do you have anything for third gens?

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Apr 6 2006, 11:40 AM
Post #4

I build race cars

QUOTE (Nick @ Apr 5 2006, 07:33 PM) *
Do you have anything for third gens?

If the 3rd gen Camaro decklid is shaped the same as the early 3rd gen Pontiac, then I can make a template off the car I have in the shop now.

+Quote Post
axoid
post Apr 6 2006, 12:52 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 70

QUOTE (Blainefab @ Apr 6 2006, 05:40 AM) *
If the 3rd gen Camaro decklid is shaped the same as the early 3rd gen Pontiac, then I can make a template off the car I have in the shop now.

The 3rd gens rear decks were identical and unchanged ( The part that is attached to the hatch ) all through the run. Only the spoilers changed. Now the edges of the rear deck that are part of the fender are different between the Camaro and Firbird. The Firebirds rear fenders are a little wider.

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Apr 8 2006, 09:51 AM
Post #6

I build race cars

Yes I can make a 3rd gen version - same pricing as the other models.

+Quote Post
Jon A
post Apr 8 2006, 11:23 PM
Post #7

Experienced Member

Member No.: 16

That's it. I'll take one. Now for the size questions....

Are the heights for the Camaro versions measured from the top of the hatch or the fenders? You can see what I'm getting at as the Camaro hatch slopes down about 3" below flush.

In short, I'm thinking about the 10" instead of the 7" since I'm in the process of addressing the front in a big way right now. Have any of your customers with the 7" on a Camaro had a really big splitter in front? When I'm done with the front I'm concerned about being able to balance out the rear. I'd rather have a spoiler that's a little too long and run it at a more layed back angle (even though that's slightly less efficient) than get everything built and find the car is tailhappy at high speed even with it vertical. If I'm going to err in one way or the other I'd rather err on having too much in the rear.

Is my reasoning on track here Alan? I'm not too concerned if I knock off an extra couple MPH at the end of the front straight...I'll be going too damn fast there anyway. Has anybody used larger than 7" on the track? Or do you think the 7" when set vertical will keep up with anything I can do to the front?

For those who haven't, check out Volume 15, numbers 2 and 3 HERE. Personally I didn't realize the angle of the spoiler made such a huge difference. The adjustable angle will be a hugely useful tool for those of us without wind tunnels. My current Freedom Design spoiler stands close to 8" off the rear hatch but it's layed back at around 30 degrees. Probably a good match for front breather/airdam front but there's no way it'll keep up with a splitter added to the front.

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Apr 9 2006, 11:14 AM
Post #8

I build race cars

QUOTE (Jon A @ Apr 8 2006, 06:23 PM) *

Jon -Great!

The height is measured from the surface of the hatch, which is about 1.5" below the top of the Camaro fender at the point where the spoiler is mounted. The Camaro fenders may act as small endplates, and the effect might be enhanced by sealing the decklid/fender gap with duct tape.

I can make the spoiler whatever height you want, tho my gut feel is that 10" would be too high for RR duty, especially on a fastish track with a fast car. If I left the brackets at the 7.5" level and the Lexan taller, you would have the option of trimming the Lexan - it cuts nicely with a jig saw with a coarse blade at slow/med speed.

Data points to help you decide on a height:
This is what I settled on for my ITE/AIX car - it is 6.5" tall and fixed angle which is about at the midpoint of the range of adjustability of my current version:

(IMG:http://www.apcom.com/fbody/blaine/RIMG0533.JPG)

The front has no splitter - the airdam will touch pavement in a hard uphill braking zone. There are angled plates filling the headlight openings, and side skirts which have been worn to fit also:

(IMG:http://www.apcom.com/fbody/blaine/RIMG0502.JPG)

With this aero package the car is quite loose off throttle at high RR speed - I like it that way, but I raised the spoiler height one inch to 7.5" to raise the upper end of available downforce for folks that like a more neutral balance.

I'm not sure how much my rear diffusor adds to the whole package - I was a lot faster after I installed it, but I did make other changes too, and it was an off season change and I had a whole winter of tracking the Vette to tune the driver up. Maybe the 25# low and rearward matters as much as any measureable downforce it provides. Hopefully will soon be in a position to do some with/without testing.

Perhaps Nick and Jason could chime in with their observations of the 7.5" BF spoiler on the #45 AI car with an airdam similar to my car, vs on the CMC car with just a 1" lower extension of the OEM chin spoiler.

My SWAG is that a proper splitter will let you use a slightly taller than 7.5" - say 8.5 or 9" tall spoiler.

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Apr 9 2006, 11:27 AM
Post #9

I build race cars

Allright - the GP is getting off to a good start! - AndyJ has an order in, JonA will soon, and if JohnD orders one we will be at the 15% discount level. A third gen or so and we are getting close to the 20% level. Please PM me or email to ablaine (at) cruzio (dot) com with a firm order with ship to address and zip code so I can calculate shipping cost.

I will need payment by or soon after close of the GP - I can accept check/MO or Paypal - and will ship the spoilers approx 2 weeks later. I will need to know quantity and size before I can order the Lexan sheet.

Thank you!
Alan Blaine
Blaine Fabrication
shop phone 831 427-3296

This post has been edited by Blainefab: Apr 9 2006, 06:52 PM

+Quote Post
rmackintosh
post Apr 9 2006, 05:06 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 27

QUOTE (Jon A @ Apr 8 2006, 06:23 PM) *

Are the heights for the Camaro versions measured from the top of the hatch or the fenders? You can see what I'm getting at as the Camaro hatch slopes down about 3" below flush.

In short, I'm thinking about the 10" instead of the 7" since I'm in the process of addressing the front in a big way right now. Have any of your customers with the 7" on a Camaro had a really big splitter in front? When I'm done with the front I'm concerned about being able to balance out the rear. I'd rather have a spoiler that's a little too long and run it at a more layed back angle (even though that's slightly less efficient) than get everything built and find the car is tailhappy at high speed even with it vertical. If I'm going to err in one way or the other I'd rather err on having too much in the rear.

Is my reasoning on track here Alan? I'm not too concerned if I knock off an extra couple MPH at the end of the front straight...I'll be going too damn fast there anyway. Has anybody used larger than 7" on the track? Or do you think the 7" when set vertical will keep up with anything I can do to the front?

For those who haven't, check out Volume 15, numbers 2 and 3 HERE. Personally I didn't realize the angle of the spoiler made such a huge difference. The adjustable angle will be a hugely useful tool for those of us without wind tunnels. My current Freedom Design spoiler stands close to 8" off the rear hatch but it's layed back at around 30 degrees. Probably a good match for front breather/airdam front but there's no way it'll keep up with a splitter added to the front.

HOLY CRAP JON!?!? Guess we are throwing out the DAILY DRIVER concept of your car eh? Are you hacking up the car to make it track only? Do you have any pics of the front splitter you are doing? I would be interested, but like Alan said, mine hits the ground under hard braking. I want it to survive.

I will say the clear plastic should be better for vision at least on the track....my LGM spoiler KILLS my rear vision in my car.

+Quote Post
Jon A
post Apr 9 2006, 09:28 PM
Post #11

Experienced Member

Sure I have pics Randy. Here's my progress so far:

(IMG:http://www.jonaadland.com/Z28/Mods/FrontBreather/PICT0108.JPG)

(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I've got a long way to go, but with no engine to be installing yet I figured I might as well do something useful. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) I've got a pile of well over 40 lbs of crap that won't be going back on the car. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) I've got it planned out pretty much in my head but I won't know if it all works until I get that far. The plan right now is to have it pretty easily removable with million dzus fasteners and a few support rods going directly to the tubular bumper. Imagine a rigid air dam similar to Alan's with a splitter protruding 2.5-3" from the bottom of it. If it works the way I have planned, it should be quite effective as well as fairly easily removable for the street.

But first things first...Monday a pile of metal will arrive from which to make the tubular bumper...then comes the airbox to the radiator...then the airdam...then finally the splitter.

Alan, I think I like the idea of having some extra that can be trimmed. Will there be any problems with the lexan folding over if it extends too much higher than the brackets?

+Quote Post
maximumvelocity
post Apr 10 2006, 03:33 AM
Post #12

batmobile

Member No.: 386

How much do the spoilers weigh with all the hardware?

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Apr 10 2006, 09:35 AM
Post #13

I build race cars

QUOTE (maximumvelocity @ Apr 9 2006, 10:33 PM) *

I'll get a weight tomorrow - my notes just say 7# less than the OEM Camaro spoiler.

+Quote Post
Teutonic Speedra...
post Apr 10 2006, 11:42 AM
Post #14

LS1 Inside! / Toolbox / Mechanical Engineer

Member No.: 179

QUOTE (rmackintosh @ Apr 9 2006, 01:06 PM) *
I will say the clear plastic should be better for vision at least on the track....my LGM spoiler KILLS my rear vision in my car.

Very true. I just tried mine out for the first time over the weekend. Between the rollbar and the spoiler, I was looking throug a slit!!! Good thing very few were catching me....

+Quote Post
bsim
post Apr 10 2006, 02:02 PM
Post #15

Race Driver

Member No.: 205

If we get two more, I'm in! (and I'm cheap - need the 20%) I'll PM details this afternoon Alan....

Come on fellas - anyone need a spare too? (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
rmackintosh
post Apr 10 2006, 03:34 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 27

QUOTE (Jon A @ Apr 9 2006, 04:28 PM) *
Sure I have pics Randy. Here's my progress so far:

(IMG:http://www.jonaadland.com/Z28/Mods/FrontBreather/PICT0108.JPG)

(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I've got a long way to go, but with no engine to be installing yet I figured I might as well do something useful. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) I've got a pile of well over 40 lbs of crap that won't be going back on the car. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) I've got it planned out pretty much in my head but I won't know if it all works until I get that far. The plan right now is to have it pretty easily removable with million dzus fasteners and a few support rods going directly to the tubular bumper. Imagine a rigid air dam similar to Alan's with a splitter protruding 2.5-3" from the bottom of it. If it works the way I have planned, it should be quite effective as well as fairly easily removable for the street.

But first things first...Monday a pile of metal will arrive from which to make the tubular bumper...then comes the airbox to the radiator...then the airdam...then finally the splitter.

Alan, I think I like the idea of having some extra that can be trimmed. Will there be any problems with the lexan folding over if it extends too much higher than the brackets?

Jon.....been there, done that..... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Cool. keep us posted on what you do with that "pile of metal" I am ALWAYS interested in a better way to do the front end. I like Mike's aluminum one, but need it to be easily removable to get in the trailer.

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Apr 11 2006, 08:18 AM
Post #17

I build race cars

QUOTE (Blainefab @ Apr 10 2006, 04:35 AM) *
QUOTE (maximumvelocity @ Apr 9 2006, 10:33 PM) *

I'll get a weight tomorrow - my notes just say 7# less than the OEM Camaro spoiler.

Shipping wt on the 5" ORR spoiler with all hardware, box and padding is 7.65# My estimate is that the packing
is heavier than the extra 2.5" of Lexan, so figure 7 +-.5# for the RR 7.5" tall.

QUOTE (Jon A @ Apr 9 2006, 04:28 PM) *

Jon - I spent today on the road, tomorrow I'll hang a weight off a 2.5" lip of Lexan and measure the deflection. Got a SWAG on the loading @ 140mph? I'm thinking <1psi , given that the area of the RR 7.5" is approx 400 in sq and it apparently doesn't effect the top end of a CMC car.

+Quote Post
AndyJ
post Apr 11 2006, 06:04 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 791

Ok folks,

Here is a picture of MY spoiler sitting on Alan's fab mule. It is now enroute to North Texas in a brown truck.

Price that cheesey, non functional ricer aero crap and then get all over this GP.

(IMG:http://www.texasinterceptors.com/images/spoiler.jpg)

Andy

+Quote Post
Jon A
post Apr 11 2006, 06:05 PM
Post #19

Experienced Member

At 140 MPH .35 psi. I think .5 psi for the top edge is a nice round conservative number to work with (160 MPH, spoiler at 90 degrees to the airflow with the top getting a clean shot at the air, etc).

+Quote Post
John_D.
post Apr 12 2006, 04:02 PM
Post #20

Engine and Tools Moderator

Member No.: 6

QUOTE (Blainefab @ Apr 9 2006, 06:27 AM) *
if JohnD orders one we will be at the 15% discount level.

I will need payment by or soon after close of the GP

I'm a definite. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Just let me know which level we made on the GP.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:13 PM