IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Hotpart.comSolo PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.comUnbalanced EngineeringUMI Performance
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Am considering retirement, Just ranting ....
mitchntx
post Apr 1 2004, 05:19 PM
Post #1

Nothing says 'I love you.' like a box of Hydroshoks

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4

After this weekend's carnage with my F-Buds, I am giving serious consideration to just quitting.

It seems most are caught up in FTD and willing to spend what it takes to get internet bragging rights. I just can't do that.

The costs associated with it, the time required to create it and the effort put forth into it is so great that it appears daunting ... and especially no fun.

When I first began doing this with Chuck, it was a blast. We hung out, laughed, joked, did a little maintenance ... it was fun.

Now, we all seem to work so hard at keeping these damn cars running, that the fun part is gone.

Don't misunderstand ... I cherish my friendship with all those I run with. But looking back at the last few times we have run together ... we always seem to be thrashing on someone's car.

If I were racing, then the expectation set would be differnet. But this is just OT. There is no prize for first.

I guess it's time for me to decide on what my priorities are.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
KeithO
post Apr 1 2004, 05:23 PM
Post #2

Veteran Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 14

Try to do more autocrossing...

+Quote Post
AllZWay
post Apr 1 2004, 05:28 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 74

Mitch... You have entered my world of about a year ago.

I just didn't see keeping on putting money in an aging platform unless I intended to actually race it. And secondly, I didn't see the ability to afford to road race it.

So thus the entry into dirt track racing, since I could actually race 30 nights a year for about the same or less than 4-8 OT events a year.

It is that incurable disease we so often discuss. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
231go
post Apr 1 2004, 07:12 PM
Post #4

F-bodyless....

Member No.: 77

I agree with the above. Half the fun of racing is being able to put yourself against others in the same league as you to compare whos the best driver with the best setup. In regular OT events there really isnt any of this. Granted there is a lot to learn at a HPDE, but once your level of improvement starts to slow from event to event you can start to lose the thrill. Thats the case with me so now its time to step up to something that falls in a bracket that actually has some people racing in it that are at the same or close level as me. Why not look into building a spec car and running SCCA/NASA events? It would be a shame to have such a nice tow truck and nothing to tow.

+Quote Post
mongoosez
post Apr 1 2004, 08:54 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 12

Mitch,
When my Z went south, I didn't do what I did for bragging rights. Hell, I can't even get on the track with it right now.

But watching the mayhem this weekend, I came to pretty much the same conclusion. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

I am not blowing my motor up once a year and dumping money into it. Ridiculous. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
I might as well buy a sprint car, and at least have the opportunity to WIN money to put back into it.

I haven't regretted at all hanging with you guys and HPDE, but it is getting excessive, and expensive.

Where did it go awry?
I am truly pondering the route that you are.....

+Quote Post
prockbp
post Apr 1 2004, 09:12 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

tough decisions....

there is one easy answer though... Stock Class racing...

it's too bad there isn't a low-budget stock F-body and Mustang Road Racing class.. they're all modified classes..

i think the only options are F-stock Solo II.... or T2 road racing..

i guess you could run T2 on a low budget(if you consider a LS1-4th-gen a cheap car... i don't)...

a stock road racing class for Mustangs and F-bodies(all years and all engines) would be perfect.. those LT1 cars are CHEAP

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Apr 1 2004, 09:19 PM
Post #7

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

Mitch,

I've not had the experiences that you have dealt with so far. But I was counting on them occuring at some point. I understand your plight. This is why you've heard me mumbling the words "Spec Miata" or "CMC" recently. Build something I can afford to destroy and then hope to not see that occur. This is why I've spent more on upgrading my camera equipment in the last year than car parts. I know it will be useful and have some value, even used. Cars and parts don't always seem to fair so well.

Tough call.....

+Quote Post
rmackintosh
post Apr 1 2004, 09:27 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 27

....don't retire...re-evaluate...go Spec Miata....as MUCH AS I HATE THEM (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) ...they are CHEAP....and never break.....and are disposible! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

There are multiple ways to skin a cat! Besides...that truck has GOT TO TOW somethin'

(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
prockbp
post Apr 1 2004, 09:44 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

if you decide to stop having fun....

i'd like to look at buying your trailer (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Apr 1 2004, 10:02 PM
Post #10

Vultures .... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
Chris 96 WS6
post Apr 1 2004, 10:13 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Group: Member
Member No.: 1

Take up drag racing....yeah its less skill but its also less cost unless you break something (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Nick
post Apr 1 2004, 10:26 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 47

I've been thinking along the same lines.
Modding a car can get out of hand, quick.. and money is the only limit.

That's part of the reason I chose to move into CMC.
The mods are limited. The power output isn't so high that parts break regularly. They still have 8 cylinders and are rear wheel drive. They run 1:26's at MSR.

+Quote Post
Absolut Speed
post Apr 1 2004, 11:10 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

QUOTE (Chris 96 WS6 @ Apr 1 2004, 04:13 PM)
Take up drag racing....

The adminsistrator ought to ban a guy for making posts like this on a road race and autocross board.

I don't know how the road guys do it. I enjoy a couple open tracks a year, but that's all I can afford. Fortunately I can be competitve locally in autocross for relatively cheap.

+Quote Post
Chris 96 WS6
post Apr 1 2004, 11:27 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

IMHO the only way to enjoy cars and not have to work on them is to get into the show scene...then you're cleaning them and detailing all the time.

If you do anything remotely competitive stuff is going to break and you're also going to want to modify.

Just part of being a car guy. I've been through it too lately. It helped me to kind of take a break. I went almost 2 mos w/o even driving or touching the car at all. That helped.

+Quote Post
Chris 96 WS6
post Apr 1 2004, 11:36 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

IMHO the only way to enjoy cars and not have to work on them is to get into the show scene...then you're cleaning them and detailing all the time.

If you do anything remotely competitive stuff is going to break and you're also going to want to modify.

Just part of being a car guy. I've been through it too lately. It helped me to kind of take a break. I went almost 2 mos w/o even driving or touching the car at all. That helped.

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Apr 2 2004, 12:05 AM
Post #16

That's good advice, Chris.

I'll let the car sit for a couple of months and then re-evaluate.

Right now, the car's registration is out. So I can't even drive it to work.

+Quote Post
Jeff97FST/A
post Apr 2 2004, 12:11 AM
Post #17

Mr. 3rd Place

Member No.: 32

Mitch-

You aren't "April Foolin'" are you...

+Quote Post
98_1LE
post Apr 2 2004, 12:12 AM
Post #18

Experienced Member

Member No.: 55

Mitch's car was once a "show car", ie garage queen (Mitch's words, not mine) (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

There are still trophy's in his garage.

Mitch, other than this event, when was there a thrash to get/keep a car running?

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Apr 2 2004, 12:14 AM
Post #19

I broke a PHB
Glenn broke a valve spring
4 brake jobs on a Saturday night at WMC

Kevin ...

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Apr 2 2004, 12:24 AM
Post #20

QUOTE (Jeff97FST/A @ Apr 1 2004, 06:11 PM)
Mitch-

You aren't "April Foolin'" are you...

No April Foolin' here ... kind of ironic, though ain't it?

Chuck, I remember those days ...

Just go get in the car, turn the key and drive it. No rattles, rubs or groans ... no roar from the exhaust or clicking of double valve springs ... no leg numbing seats and a rear view mirror that I could see out of.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:21 AM