IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
UMI PerformanceUnbalanced EngineeringHotpart.comSolo PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.com
29 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The new to me 2002 Z28 (convertible)
trackbird
post May 22 2016, 02:37 AM
Post #1

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

I got up at 2am and drug a trailer almost 700 miles today to bring home a 2002 Z28 convertible (6 speed manual). It's a virtual twin (other than a convertible instead of t tops) to my original 2002 that I bought new. I actually believe every option matches right down to the color. It came with piles of service records, a receipt for a new GM installed engine (15k miles/4 years ago) as well as new clutch (with the engine), new window regulators and all kinds of other stuff. The previous owners spent a fortune at the dealer with this car. It was a summer car at the house on lake Michigan. I don't think it's ever seen anything beyond some occasional rain. The steering column is tight and there's no major wear on the seats or steering wheel. It has a few small door dings and I think the paintless dent guys can remove those. Overall, it's a solid and clean car that should be lots of fun. It was also dead stock, not so much as a lid on it.

I'm planning to swap on some larger wheels, lower it a bit, stiffen it a bit, sway bars, exhaust and a "lid". I just want a fun driver to enjoy on nice days. I've actually never owned a convertible in my life, I've always had t tops or targa cars....this should be a new adventure.

I don't have many pics, but I'll add a few before I crawl off to bed.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  IMG_5567.JPG ( 115.22K ) Number of downloads: 43
Attached File  IMG_5590.JPG ( 36.48K ) Number of downloads: 45
Attached File  IMG_5595.JPG ( 35.03K ) Number of downloads: 38

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BumpaD_Z28
post May 22 2016, 02:53 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,416

NICE ! I've always preferred hard tops over drop tops, but any LS1, 6 speed car is a good time !

CONGRATS (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

~DaVe

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post May 22 2016, 03:17 AM
Post #3

Veteran Member

Member No.: 385

Verts are nice. Keep an eye on the stitching on the top. Literally, one day fine, the next, popping at all the seams. If it sees any rain, check the rear quarters in the trunk for water. It's a common problem.

Otherwise, enjoy hammering the throttle with the top down, under an overpass. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

This post has been edited by CrashTestDummy: May 22 2016, 03:18 AM

+Quote Post
trackbird
post May 22 2016, 03:53 PM
Post #4

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (BumpaD_Z28 @ May 21 2016, 10:53 PM) *
NICE ! I've always preferred hard tops over drop tops, but any LS1, 6 speed car is a good time !

CONGRATS (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

~DaVe

Me too, that's why I've never owned one. I got my wife hooked on T tops/targa cars with the SOM SS I had and the '91 Corvette. She thought a convertible would be fun and I really didn't want one. I looked at cars all over the country and found that most people are "insane" ('98 SS with 117k for $14,700 and piles of others that were priced about the same). I finally told her "I give up, I'm not buying a car....at least not one of these and I can't find anything else that sounds fun".

I was previously emailing with the "dealer" about this vehicle and last Monday he sent a follow up email. I'd already decided I didn't care so I had nothing to lose and thought I'd play ball with him. I told him it was about $3k over my planned budget but maybe we could work it out. He took $1500 off, I double checked with my wife (that she liked the car) and told him I'd be there to see/get it. So....it followed me home.

QUOTE (CrashTestDummy @ May 21 2016, 11:17 PM) *
Verts are nice. Keep an eye on the stitching on the top. Literally, one day fine, the next, popping at all the seams. If it sees any rain, check the rear quarters in the trunk for water. It's a common problem.

Otherwise, enjoy hammering the throttle with the top down, under an overpass. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

The top looks new. The floor mats look new. Literally, other than a little bolster wear on the seat (minimal, but it's been "sat in") it looks quite close to new.

Water? I'll keep an eye out for it. I wasn't aware of that issue. Thanks!

+Quote Post
Steve91T
post May 22 2016, 07:19 PM
Post #5

Experienced Member

Member No.: 9,105

Very nice! I'm interested to hear if you notice any difference in the feel of the car, like chassis flex.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post May 22 2016, 08:37 PM
Post #6

FRRAX Owner/Admin

I'm anxious to get a chance to drive it some and get a feel for the convertible. The car was on consignment so they have to do the title work and send it my way before I can title it and drive it.

Last night I swung by the parts store for 5 quarts of Mobile 1 ATF for the transmission. Today I stopped by Jegs and picked up a shift knob (black Hurst style), a B&M shifter, a differential cover gasket and an SLP front license plate bracket. I also saved the SLP TCS disable module from a previous project (you can't buy them anymore) and I installed that last night.

Now I just have to get under it and change out the fluids while I wait for the paperwork.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post May 23 2016, 12:30 AM
Post #7

FRRAX Owner/Admin

I'm looking for wheels. I think I want charcoal (like I did on my last car), something tasteful. I'm looking for something that hasn't been "overdone" (I love ZR1's on these cars....but that's been going on for years). The car is really clean and completely original (it's a "time capsule" piece) and I'm trying to be tasteful and not screw it up or ruin it. I'm starting to lean towards these Forgestars:

http://www.forgestar.com/wheels/collection...ock-series/f14/

Like this:

http://www.dv8motoring.com/s/cc_images/cac...pg?t=1328297177

http://s466.photobucket.com/user/ynotdv8/m...06-18e.jpg.html (I know that's a Corvette...lol).

Then I'm left with the decision of 17x9.5's or 18x9.5's (275/40-17 or 275/35-18 tires). I'm worried that 17' tires seem to be slowly going away (or will be soon).

Thoughts?

+Quote Post
SuperMacGuy
post May 23 2016, 01:13 AM
Post #8

Experienced Member

Member No.: 462

Oh man you are going down that dirty road to hell called "just a few upgrades" ... haha!

Those wheels are super cool. I personally would stick with 17s. On tirerack I see even Michelin still has a size, and the F1GS which I heard were good can still be had. I like enough sidewall to absorb bumps. As a cruiser you'd want a little better ride than a 18/19 wheel, no?
As for lifespan on 275/40/17, who can say? Call Hoosier and talk to them just to get a read? That's hard to predict. People keep saying that, but if we keep buying 17s then they will still be made (self fulfilling prophecy?). <shrug>

+Quote Post
trackbird
post May 23 2016, 01:35 AM
Post #9

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (SuperMacGuy @ May 22 2016, 09:13 PM) *
Oh man you are going down that dirty road to hell called "just a few upgrades" ... haha!

Yea, we've all seen that road (and you guys well know that I have). This time I'm looking to keep things simple. Suspension is "simple" to me and I enjoy the work. So I'm not looking to remove the valve covers, just a basic "tune up".

I prefer a 17". I just wanted to make sure the "writing wasn't on the wall" about 17" tires....at least not yet.

Also, I've been talking to Ryan and the UMI crew and we're going to collaborate on this project. UMI has been building some really cool cars lately and I'm looking forward to working with them to tune up my new toy.

Yea, the mod list is:

STB (UMI)
SFC (weld in UMI)
Shocks (possibly UMI coil overs)
springs (possibly UMI coil overs)
PHB (UMI)
Sway bars (UMI)
Wheels/tires (Forgestar F14 wheels)
Shifter and knob (B&M)
SLP TCS disable module
SLP "lid"
SLP y pipe (if I can justify it, I fear it may drag on everything, I'll see how it sits when it's done)
Hooker cat back (possibly, my wife thinks it's a bit too loud)
Fresh fluids
Maybe C5 brakes (after I move up from the 16" wheels)
Paintless dent removal for a few small spots and a little paint touch up

I don't plan to change LCA's, they tend to impact ride more than I like. I actually won the SM2 championship in 2005 (OVR region SCCA) using factory LCA's in my car. I want to make it a fun to drive summer toy that could go to an autocross if I wish. Ryan and the UMI guys may change my mind on that, so I reserve the right to adjust that at a later date.

+Quote Post
BumpaD_Z28
post May 23 2016, 05:13 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,416

QUOTE (trackbird @ May 22 2016, 06:30 PM) *
I'm looking for wheels. I think I want charcoal (like I did on my last car), something tasteful. I'm looking for something that hasn't been "overdone" (I love ZR1's on these cars....but that's been going on for years). The car is really clean and completely original (it's a "time capsule" piece) and I'm trying to be tasteful and not screw it up or ruin it. I'm starting to lean towards these Forgestars:

http://www.forgestar.com/wheels/collection...ock-series/f14/

Like this:

http://www.dv8motoring.com/s/cc_images/cac...pg?t=1328297177

http://s466.photobucket.com/user/ynotdv8/m...06-18e.jpg.html (I know that's a Corvette...lol).

Then I'm left with the decision of 17x9.5's or 18x9.5's (275/40-17 or 275/35-18 tires). I'm worried that 17' tires seem to be slowly going away (or will be soon).

Thoughts?

Love those wheels !

BUT I'd go with 18x10 's w/ 285's all around

~DaVe

+Quote Post
trackbird
post May 23 2016, 12:53 PM
Post #11

FRRAX Owner/Admin

I guess I should add this link before it and all the pics go away...

This is where I got it, and I didn't pay that for it (I'm amazed they moved on the price, but I managed to get a decent amount off that price).

http://www.grautogallery.com/vehicles/3876...let-camaro-z-28

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post May 23 2016, 01:49 PM
Post #12

Veteran Member

Member No.: 385

The water issue may be just our car, and the fact that the top needs to be replaced. Hopefully, you'll be fine.

Those wheels look great! We have Vette knock-offs, and they look similar, and really make the car look nice.

We got our car to satisfy my wife's 'mid-life' crisis. She was looking for a convertible, and the 95 became available from a friend. I know our winter weather is a LOT milder than what you get, but the Z28 was my wife's 'nice weather' winter car. If it wasn't raining, the top was down, even in 30-degree weather. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif) I guess I really need to get the top replaced so we can at least drive it again on those nice cold weather days, since it's not getting much attention on the for sale sites.

+Quote Post
slowTA
post May 23 2016, 05:04 PM
Post #13

Experienced Member

Member No.: 331

Dibs on the good stuff when you decide to part it!

+Quote Post
trackbird
post May 23 2016, 08:45 PM
Post #14

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (slowTA @ May 23 2016, 01:04 PM) *
Dibs on the good stuff when you decide to part it!

Ouch....you guys aren't supposed to know me that well.... Ahh, who am I kidding, of course you do. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
UMI Performance
post May 24 2016, 03:37 PM
Post #15

Supporting Vendor

Member No.: 706

This car looks super clean. We are pretty excited to be part of this project. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

+Quote Post
trackbird
post May 24 2016, 05:01 PM
Post #16

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (UMI Performance @ May 24 2016, 11:37 AM) *
This car looks super clean. We are pretty excited to be part of this project. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

Thanks Ryan! I'm really looking forward to it. It's nice to be back in a 4th gen and I think the convertible is going to be a fun change over what I'm used to. I haven't been shopping for 4th gen parts for a while so I was pleased to see how the UMI product line has expanded since I was last in the market (I had no idea you guys had sway bars among other things).

+Quote Post
Bud M
post May 24 2016, 06:18 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 57

QUOTE (trackbird @ May 22 2016, 06:35 PM) *
...the mod list is:

STB (UMI)...

There's been so much argument about the (lack of) effectiveness of STBs on 4th gens. I'm kind of surprised to see this on your list. Having said that, I have one on mine.

+Quote Post
rocky
post May 24 2016, 06:23 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,032

I would like to get that UMI coil over kit too. IF you go that route let us know what you think about it.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post May 24 2016, 08:14 PM
Post #19

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (Bud M @ May 24 2016, 02:18 PM) *
QUOTE (trackbird @ May 22 2016, 06:35 PM) *
...the mod list is:

STB (UMI)...

There's been so much argument about the (lack of) effectiveness of STBs on 4th gens. I'm kind of surprised to see this on your list. Having said that, I have one on mine.

I've always felt like they removed some "cowl shake". I'm not worried about 5 lbs and it "can't hurt". I've added them to every car I've owned and I've always felt like the cars without them "wiggled' a bit more than the cars with them. Even if I only "feel better" about it, it's still not that much weight or money.

QUOTE (rocky @ May 24 2016, 02:23 PM) *
I would like to get that UMI coil over kit too. IF you go that route let us know what you think about it.

I'm still talking to Ryan/UMI, but I'm leaning towards trying it. You guys will know as soon as I do...or just a little bit after. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) And I'll certainly keep you guys in the loop.

+Quote Post
Steve91T
post May 24 2016, 11:12 PM
Post #20

Experienced Member

Member No.: 9,105

I've read on here that the STB does nothing for handling. I'm telling you I feel a surprisingly big difference in steering response. I've driven my car back to back with and without it many times and the difference is so big that I always nearly run off the road to the inside after installing it again.

I would imagine that a convertible will need it even more than a T-top car. Plus it makes the engine compartment look cool.

+Quote Post

29 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:04 PM