IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Solo PerformanceHotpart.comUMI PerformanceUnbalanced EngineeringBlaine Fabrication.com

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> where do you buy tires?
RedHardSupra
post May 13 2004, 04:25 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 121

I'm in the market for some new tires(kumho MX), and I've been wondering which place has the best prices? I went through the big sites, I 'froogled' it too, but the people here seem extra nice and helpful (even the hotel reservations, not just parts), so I figured I better ask before I whip out my credit card.
So far, the best prices for kumho mx in zr1 sizes I found were on DTD site's at $149 a pop. Not bad, but I've had rather bad experiences with my local DTD dealer, so I'd like to see some other options.
thanks,
Marcin
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
trackbird
post May 13 2004, 05:28 PM
Post #2

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

I almost always buy from www.tirerack.com. Actually, I can't think of a set of tires that I've bought anywhere else in the last few years. They have been great to me, fast shipping, great prices and selection. So, that's where I go.

Call Steve (Bald 54 on this site) at the tire rack (1-800-445-0179 X309), I spoke to him a few weeks ago and he fixed me right up.

My thoughts.

+Quote Post
00 Trans Ram
post May 13 2004, 05:48 PM
Post #3

Experienced Member

Member No.: 303

I'd agree on TireRack. They are very helpful and have extremely competitive prices . . . except for me (see below). I bought a complete tire and wheel set from them once. For some reason, the centercaps that came with the wheels didn't fit. So, they sent me another set of caps. Those didn't fit (they insisted that the caps fit the wheels in their warehouse, though). So, they just sent me a pack of 28 caps in 7 different sizes, configurations, and colors. One of them fit, but they told me to keep all of them, anyway. Great service!!

(I live in Louisiana, and they have a warehouse in Shreveport. This means that I pay taxes and shipping. For $800 worth of tires, that amounts to almost $100 extra for taxes. I usually buy my racing tires from Vilven Tire, up in Indiana somewhere. My Victo's were like $203 from TireRack, plus shipping, plus taxes. They were $207 from Vilven, free shipping, no taxes. I just happened to get screwed because they've got a warehouse in state. Oh well!)

Or, if you're lucky, you can get what my friend did. He was picking up his friend and some other guys at the airport, and one of the guys worked for a wheel manufacturer. To make a long story short (too late!), as repayment for my friend's trouble and hospitality, he sent him a set of 22" chrome wheels with tires. A total package deal of about $1900!

+Quote Post
rmackintosh
post May 13 2004, 05:54 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 27

Tire Rack is the best and typically very low cost!

+Quote Post
bruecksteve
post May 13 2004, 06:11 PM
Post #5

Really Old Corner Carver

Group: Advanced Member
Member No.: 21

The last 5 sets of tires I've purchased from Tire Rack. Great people.

+Quote Post
DanKeen
post May 13 2004, 08:02 PM
Post #6

Blimey, something completely different...

Member No.: 132

I ordered a set of Nitto 555RII's from DTD when I was moving up to 275's. They claimed on the website that they were "in stock", and charged my credit card. The next day I received notice that the tires were not, indeed, in stock, and they had no estimate of when they would be shipped.

I promptly cancelled my order and told them I'd never shop with them again.

I love TireRack. Great service, incredibly fast, and very competitive prices. I don't see why anyone would go anywhere else (insert obligatory "I don't mind larger corporations" statement here).

Dan

+Quote Post
robz71lm7
post May 13 2004, 08:58 PM
Post #7

Veteran Member

Member No.: 40

It used to be tirerack but lately it's a local tire chain. They've started sponsoring our local autocrosses and give us (SCCA members) great prices on tires-race tires too. they usually beat tirerack's price on Kumho's by $15-30 each. There's no shipping charge, but there is tax.

+Quote Post
98_1LE
post May 14 2004, 01:24 AM
Post #8

Experienced Member

Member No.: 55

tirerack, or my local discount tire store

+Quote Post
RedHardSupra
post May 14 2004, 04:17 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

wow, this is more one-sided vote than the last presidential election in <Iraq|North Korea|China|Cuba> (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)

+Quote Post
Judd
post May 14 2004, 08:39 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 112

Believe it or not, I've bought my tires from Sears for last 8 or so years {except for slicks or brands they didn't carry}. Sears will price match anyone, even TireRack! They add 3% to cover shipping though. I've bought two sets of Yoko 032Rs from Sears for less than I could have bought them from Tirerack. Something like 252 $ a piece or so on 315/35/17s last I checked {2 weeks ago}. Plus any tires they install, will have a lifetime balance and rotation.

My only gripe is that they don't carry Nitto or Kumho so I might have to give Tirerack or Discount Tires a try this go around.

+Quote Post
ESPCamaro
post May 14 2004, 10:05 AM
Post #11

No El-Use-O.

Member No.: 52

Hoosier Tom Reichel.
MidAtlanticMotorsport.com

He is opinionated and gives you the tire info strait. I like that.
Plus HE actually shows up to tons of autocross events, and road race events to provide his services. Which includes having an air source, as well as mounting and dismounting race tires on site. Need tires for the Grattan regional. Call Tom and bring your wheels and he'll put m on, on site.

He has been selling race tires for YEARS now, and caters to autox, and RR only.

And he sells for the same price as the Rack.

+Quote Post
beuke23
post May 14 2004, 12:22 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 39

QUOTE (Judd @ May 14 2004, 03:39 AM)
Believe it or not, I've bought my tires from Sears for last 8 or so years {except for slicks or brands they didn't carry}.  Sears will price match anyone, even TireRack!

Holy cow, I didn't know that. Had I known I would've asked. I wanted to buy my tires locally, but Tire Rack just beat them by a lot. So T.R got my business.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:02 PM