IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Blaine Fabrication.comUnbalanced EngineeringHotpart.comSolo PerformanceUMI Performance
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MaxQData Data acquisition system GP, Will be ordered tonight! (12/05/08)
trackbird
post Sep 28 2008, 01:49 PM
Post #1

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

While I was at the NASA nationals, I got a chance to play with the MaxQData data acquisition system and talk to one of the guys from MaxQ. This system worked great and was probably as inexpensive as anything I've seen.

The base system (which is what we were using, and it is "plenty" for most users) is under $400 to start with. For what it did, I thought that was a serious bargain. However, if there is interest, I spoke to MaxQ about possibly doing a GP on frrax. I suspect that there are lots of people here who would like a good quality data system that's also affordable. And, if I can get prices down a bit more, even better.

These are the basic systems:

http://www.maxqdata.com/MQGPS.htm

The website is here with more info:

http://www.maxqdata.com/

Anyway, I was pretty impressed with the system for the price and if there is any interest, I will get back to MaxQ and see what it takes to get a better deal on these. I know I'm going to wind up buying one either way. Does anyone else need/want a data system?

Paypal received:

Firehawkclone
Rocketman1 Standard version
Jeff97fsta MaxQ data 10mz GPS and cover
Rickredriver (Richard Bagnard) MQGPS-HiDef

Money orders:

StanIROCZ
wayno
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GlennCMC70
post Sep 28 2008, 02:08 PM
Post #2

Veteran Member

Group: Member
Member No.: 8

i'm in.
i was the one using this logger from MaxQ (it wasnt my unit) that Kevin witnessed. Ed worked w/ me over a few days and was very helpfull in showing me the data each day.
Ed showed me exactly where my differences in lap times were from one lap to the next and one segemt at a time. for example. turn one at Mid Ohio - some laps i was downshifting to 3rd going into 1 and some laps i was just holding 4th and lugging it out. i was almost a second faster by just leaving it in 4th. my braking was smoother, my turn-in was smoother i pulled more lateral G thru the corner and my exit speed was higher as was my peak speed down the corner. it was shocking to see the data. this unit takes all the "seat of the pants" interpretation out of the equation. i' sold on this unit. the data is visually very easy to read and allows you to quickly see the difference.
this thing is tiny. its the size of a very small pager, or the size of a large Zipo lighter. it is rechargeable. has all the USB cables you need, a DC charge cord as well as an A/C charge cord. they also can provide a cool plastic housing the unit slips into thats held on w/ rare earth magnets. you just walk up and drop it onto the car, and its done. it held to +120 at Mid Ohio.

put me down for one Kevin.

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Sep 28 2008, 07:51 PM
Post #3

Veteran Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 385

I might be interested in the TraQR. We have a GEEZ, and I find the weak point to be the Palm device you hook to it. You have two sets of batteries to have to keep up with, both Palms I have gone through require reinstallation of the software after battery replacement, and the batteries last about two events. It would be nice to cut out some wiring and eliminate another part that can fail.

+Quote Post
StanIROCZ
post Sep 29 2008, 01:03 AM
Post #4

Veteran Member

Member No.: 1,144

Sounds pretty neat. If the GP is attactive enough I'd probably get one.

I haven't done a lot of research but the other systems that I've seen like this are $1k.

Do you need an internet plan for the pocket PC / phone?

+Quote Post
Metlegleo
post Sep 29 2008, 04:19 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 102

I'm interested if the price is right. Looks like an excellent tool.

+Quote Post
Wayno
post Sep 29 2008, 07:00 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 371

I'm in .I was going to buy one anyway,this will save a few dollars.

+Quote Post
Major_Lee_Slow
post Sep 29 2008, 12:40 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 876

I am very interested. I wold want to get the one with the video capability.

+Quote Post
JimMueller
post Sep 29 2008, 01:44 PM
Post #8

Experienced Member

Member No.: 206

I'm interested if the GP is right.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Sep 29 2008, 03:56 PM
Post #9

FRRAX Owner/Admin

I'm looking to do the video version myself. I'll try to get in touch with Ed this week and see what kind of price I can work out based on volume.

Anyone else?

+Quote Post
patred
post Sep 29 2008, 04:06 PM
Post #10

Zero brand loyalty

Member No.: 145

I'm interested ...

Pat

+Quote Post
Jeff97FST/A
post Sep 29 2008, 10:21 PM
Post #11

Mr. 3rd Place

Member No.: 32

In, too.

I picked up a used Dell Axim V51 off fleabay a month or two ago with an eye toward getting a MaxQ.

+Quote Post
matt f
post Sep 30 2008, 12:21 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 228

Sounds really nice (and affordable)

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Sep 30 2008, 12:54 PM
Post #13

FRRAX Owner/Admin

I'm waiting to hear back from the guys at Max Q. Keep posting if you're interested. I was impressed with this system and the price. I'll post more when I get the info.

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Sep 30 2008, 02:26 PM
Post #14

Nothing says 'I love you.' like a box of Hydroshoks

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (trackbird @ Sep 30 2008, 07:54 AM) *
I'm waiting to hear back from the guys at Max Q. Keep posting if you're interested. I was impressed with this system and the price. I'll post more when I get the info.

I'm sorry ... but I don't see "trackbird" listed in the site sponsors list.

Are you sure you can do this? I might have to ban you.

(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/nutkick.gif)

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Sep 30 2008, 02:42 PM
Post #15

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (mitchntx @ Sep 30 2008, 10:26 AM) *
QUOTE (trackbird @ Sep 30 2008, 07:54 AM) *

I'm sorry ... but I don't see "trackbird" listed in the site sponsors list.

Are you sure you can do this? I might have to ban you.

(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/nutkick.gif)

Welcome back Mitch! It's about time you showed up...

Guess I need to move this thread.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Sep 30 2008, 09:33 PM
Post #16

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Ok. On 9 of the "standard" systems, regular retail for the unit and the magnetic cover to stick it on the car is $418 plus freight. It looks like we can get at least $100 off if we buy 9 of them (I'm waiting on final info on shipping and such, but we can get them to $318 at this point). I'm still working on a few details and if we get more orders I'll see if we can do any better.

And for the video version, I received the following info:

Regarding the video product, I assume you are talking about the full meal deal with an MQGPS, cameras, laptop (did you already buy that?), software, etc. Certainly we can include the MQGPS portion of that at the group buy price. The video software I can offer a small discount on for two sales, say 15%. Final pricing of the video software is TBD but in all likelihood is going to be $129. The remaining items are things you would source yourself or I would sell at cost.

You'll need the "standard" unit, a laptop (Dell or Asus do them with flash drive hard drives that will work in a car), the software and USB cameras (as I understand it at this point). So, you'll need the unit for $318-ish and the software ($109-ish) and a laptop and USB cameras. That's as I understand it, unless the crew at MaxQ tells me I missed something.

+Quote Post
GlennCMC70
post Sep 30 2008, 09:37 PM
Post #17

Veteran Member

Group: Member
Member No.: 8

count me in for the MaxQ unit. i'll do the vid stuff later once its released for production.

+Quote Post
killer_bluebird
post Oct 1 2008, 11:40 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,010

Damn you Kevin! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

I just got some more contract work and I will have a really hard time looking the other way on this. I guess it will depend on final timing.

+Quote Post
Major_Lee_Slow
post Oct 1 2008, 03:25 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 876

So this is just the stand alone MQGPS-TraQr right? This unit records at 5Hz. From playing with some data at the 5Hz and 10Hz frequencies, I found that the 10Hz data is really what we need for AutoX. The 5Hz misses some of the important data points.

The kit I would want would be a 10Hz MQGPS-HiDef, with the Pocket PC with the ability to upgrade to video. I already have the camera, so I'd just need the software. However, I think that the Pocket PC's don't have enough HP to run the video and take the data, hence the reason they are currently recommending the stand alone unit.

If people do decide to use their own lap tops, please be aware that the hard drives do not work well in cars. My video camera, which uses a hard drive, will turn off to protect the hard drive due to the vibrations of the engine, even at idle. A laptop in the car needs to be run on flash memory only in order to work (this includes the operating system).

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Oct 1 2008, 03:29 PM
Post #20

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Dell and Asus have new mini laptops that run on flash only (Dell Mini 9). I have one on order.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:55 AM