IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Hotpart.comSolo PerformanceUMI PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.comUnbalanced Engineering
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bought a camper, like I needed another hobby
CrashTestDummy
post Oct 6 2021, 01:38 PM
Post #21

Veteran Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 385

QUOTE (trackbird @ Oct 5 2021, 08:58 PM) *
Have you seen the kit that has cameras that have side marker lights in them and that powers them?

https://www.amazon.com/Furrion-Vision-Monit...g/dp/B08M9DTRMR

I did look at that, but have wavered on it. We have turn signals on the side of the bus, but no marker lights on a flat surface. I have been concerened that replacing the turn signal lights with these, and just updating the bulb socket/bulb wouldn't provide enough light to make it obvious I'm turning/changing lanes. The side turn signal lights have a pretty good dome to them so they stick out away from the side of the bus. Using the turn signal mounting hole would be advantageous since it keeps me from having to cut another hole in the side of the bus.

I guess a call to Furrion is in order to see if they can fix something custom for us.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GCrites80s
post Oct 6 2021, 02:55 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 223,855

Furrion... he he...

(IMG:https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/ELXzA5LyuhtJZ1vNeHbiXXl7wNA=/53x246:1166x1081/1400x1400/filters:focal(53x246:1166x1081):format(jpeg)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/44306254/4756098992_5fbae5e9a3_o.0.0.jpg)

This post has been edited by GCrites80s: Oct 6 2021, 02:55 PM

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Oct 6 2021, 04:17 PM
Post #23

Veteran Member

Now that's funny, right there! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotf.gif)

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Oct 14 2021, 12:08 AM
Post #24

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

That's the joke we have been making since finding out their name....lol.

Yesterday I finished installing the 190 watt solar kit. It's now up and running. I don't think we will do much "off the grid" camping, but it's nice to know that the battery isn't going to die or freeze over the winter. And it's handy for those times we need battery power. We lost power for 6 hours at the campground the last time we were out. I didn't know what size battery we have so I wasn't sure how much capacity we had. It's an 81 amp hour marine battery and it should run the water pump, heater (blower and thermostats, the heat is propane of course) and some lights for at least a solid day as long as we aren't too crazy with power use. I can always add a second battery and two additional panels if we want/need.

Winnebago pre wires the campers for this style kit. They have a few versions and it had a decal that was a cutting template for three different charge controllers. I bought the biggest one (how long have you guys known me? Of course I did), it's a 30 amp controller and the panel is 9.3 amps, so it will support two more panels if needed.

https://gpelectric.com/products/overlander-...r-charging-kit/

+Quote Post
GCrites80s
post Oct 14 2021, 01:32 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

QUOTE (trackbird @ Oct 13 2021, 08:08 PM) *

Oh it gets worse, furry+carrion = Furrion = dead furry

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Oct 15 2021, 12:57 AM
Post #26

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (GCrites80s @ Oct 13 2021, 09:32 PM) *
QUOTE (trackbird @ Oct 13 2021, 08:08 PM) *

Oh it gets worse, furry+carrion = Furrion = dead furry

You need just the kind of help we provide here at FRRAX. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

I got the new backup camera wired up and installed. It worked 50-75 yards from the camper (as I was leaving the storage area). The other camera only worked once (when we paired it). If you need a rear view camera, don't buy the WiSight Voyage, it's terrible. The Furrion S kit with the 4.3" monitor seems to be worlds better so far.

I tried to install the King Wifi system. The camper is prewired for it. That consists of an antenna (HDTV antenna) with a hollow base that's designed to allow a sealed connector to be installed in a punch out and there is supposed to be an antenna cable under it. The cable runs down behind the TV. I found the cable behind the TV, but when I peeled the sealer off of the roof and took the antenna off, there was no cable to be found. I don't know where they ran it or if they missed it and it's under the base of the antenna or what. I decided I wasn't going to pull the base off of the roof to check for it, I'm going to make the dealer sort it out as warranty work. Considering the cost of this camper, they really should have done a little better job of assembling it. Fixing things is how they are going to learn...I hope.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Oct 18 2021, 03:03 PM
Post #27

FRRAX Owner/Admin

The Furrion rear view camera is spectacular overall. The image runs a little on the cool/blue side. But the range will work from the trailer storage lot to the entrance to my neighborhood (it's about 300 yards). It works great on the road with the camper in between the camera and the monitor and it's great to see what's behind you. I set it so I can just see the bumper in the bottom of the image and when I parked yesterday, I backed in and stopped 1.5' from the fence by using the camera. My wife no longer has spotter duty to make sure I don't hit the fence or anything behind me.

As for solar. It's neat. It's great when it's sunny. I'm learning that I'll probably add the other two panels in an effort to get decent output when it's not sunny. 190 watts of solar seems like plenty. And if it's bright out, it is. On overcast days I'm seeing much lower charge rates (still decent, but 1-4 amps, give or take). So I believe I'll be adding panels in the spring...if not sooner. And I'm going to pick up another battery today to double our capacity to 162 amp hours. I want to get the battery now so they are likely to be closer in age and charging characteristics.

Now I just have to sort out the wifi antenna and I think I'm going to add an additional HDTV antenna and a cellular phone repeater/amplifier system. This thing is going to wind up as a mobile NASA command center by the time I'm done. lol.

+Quote Post
GCrites80s
post Oct 19 2021, 12:54 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

QUOTE (trackbird @ Oct 14 2021, 08:57 PM) *
I tried to install the King Wifi system. The camper is prewired for it. That consists of an antenna (HDTV antenna) with a hollow base that's designed to allow a sealed connector to be installed in a punch out and there is supposed to be an antenna cable under it. The cable runs down behind the TV. I found the cable behind the TV, but when I peeled the sealer off of the roof and took the antenna off, there was no cable to be found. I don't know where they ran it or if they missed it and it's under the base of the antenna or what. I decided I wasn't going to pull the base off of the roof to check for it, I'm going to make the dealer sort it out as warranty work. Considering the cost of this camper, they really should have done a little better job of assembling it. Fixing things is how they are going to learn...I hope.

80% of RVs are made in one small town in Indiana (another 10% or so are Airstreams built in a small town in Ohio). They have trouble staffing the place in normal times since not enough people live in that part of Indiana to keep the place staffed. They just do what they can to get the things built and out the door. Honda it isn't.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Oct 19 2021, 01:50 AM
Post #29

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (GCrites80s @ Oct 18 2021, 08:54 PM) *
80% of RVs are made in one small town in Indiana (another 10% or so are Airstreams built in a small town in Ohio). They have trouble staffing the place in normal times since not enough people live in that part of Indiana to keep the place staffed. They just do what they can to get the things built and out the door. Honda it isn't.

Yea, we're learning that. The list of things we have for the dealer to sort out is truly impressive. Crazy stuff, but I think they'll take care of it all. Honestly, we love the camper...even with the random issues.

They ran the King Wifi wires inside, but it didn't make it through the roof into the bracket. I'll fix that soon (if the dealer can't).

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Oct 20 2021, 12:37 PM
Post #30

Veteran Member

QUOTE (trackbird @ Oct 13 2021, 07:08 PM) *

Yesterday I finished installing the 190 watt solar kit. It's now up and running. I don't think we will do much "off the grid" camping, but it's nice to know that the battery isn't going to die or freeze over the winter. And it's handy for those times we need battery power. We lost power for 6 hours at the campground the last time we were out. I didn't know what size battery we have so I wasn't sure how much capacity we had. It's an 81 amp hour marine battery and it should run the water pump, heater (blower and thermostats, the heat is propane of course) and some lights for at least a solid day as long as we aren't too crazy with power use. I can always add a second battery and two additional panels if we want/need.

Winnebago pre wires the campers for this style kit. They have a few versions and it had a decal that was a cutting template for three different charge controllers. I bought the biggest one (how long have you guys known me? Of course I did), it's a 30 amp controller and the panel is 9.3 amps, so it will support two more panels if needed.

https://gpelectric.com/products/overlander-...r-charging-kit/

While not a RV, we have a small solar panel on the flat spot between the rear wheel wells on the Firebird. It does a nice job of keeping the battery topped off during events, even though we have a 120A alternator. When we first got the car, we'd have trouble starting it when hot, and the panel pretty much eliminated that issue.

The plus is we tell people the car is solar-powered when they see the panel in the back. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool2.gif)

While interesting, we haven't done anything solar on the bus. We don't expect to boondock, although it would be nice to have enough battery/charging capacity to run the house A/Cs while moving. Right now, the common practice is to just run the generator to power the A/Cs. The Chassis A/C failed a long time ago, and a PO removed the compressor from the engine. They usually don't work well anyway, and with 210 raging HP, any pony sucked from the drivetrain is a major loss.

Do you have room for more battery capacity? That would help relieve 'battery anxiety' when boondocking.

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Oct 20 2021, 12:44 PM
Post #31

Veteran Member

QUOTE (trackbird @ Oct 18 2021, 10:03 AM) *
The Furrion rear view camera is spectacular overall. The image runs a little on the cool/blue side. But the range will work from the trailer storage lot to the entrance to my neighborhood (it's about 300 yards). It works great on the road with the camper in between the camera and the monitor and it's great to see what's behind you. I set it so I can just see the bumper in the bottom of the image and when I parked yesterday, I backed in and stopped 1.5' from the fence by using the camera. My wife no longer has spotter duty to make sure I don't hit the fence or anything behind me.

As for solar. It's neat. It's great when it's sunny. I'm learning that I'll probably add the other two panels in an effort to get decent output when it's not sunny. 190 watts of solar seems like plenty. And if it's bright out, it is. On overcast days I'm seeing much lower charge rates (still decent, but 1-4 amps, give or take). So I believe I'll be adding panels in the spring...if not sooner. And I'm going to pick up another battery today to double our capacity to 162 amp hours. I want to get the battery now so they are likely to be closer in age and charging characteristics.

Now I just have to sort out the wifi antenna and I think I'm going to add an additional HDTV antenna and a cellular phone repeater/amplifier system. This thing is going to wind up as a mobile NASA command center by the time I'm done. lol.

I discovered there's a Furrion 'portable' wireless system that I think I could use with our bus. Looks like the rear view camera could be magnetically-stuck to the old camera mount with the camera lens pressed against the camera window, while keeping the 16-hour battery in a rear overhead cabinet for easy access. I'd add two side view cameras, which look like they'll almost fit where our existing side turn signal lights are. There's ~1/4" difference in size, so may have to find some sort of flat piece of ABS plastic sheet to use as a 'mounting bracket' to cover the screw holes/missing paint, but side cameras would sure be helpful.

Keep us posted on the Internet solution. We're looking now as our bus would be a bug-out vehicle during tropical weather, and I'm in IT, so really need a good connection. Sounds like something close to NASA Command Center connectivity would be 'just enough'. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Oct 20 2021, 03:54 PM
Post #32

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (CrashTestDummy @ Oct 20 2021, 08:37 AM) *
While not a RV, we have a small solar panel on the flat spot between the rear wheel wells on the Firebird. It does a nice job of keeping the battery topped off during events, even though we have a 120A alternator. When we first got the car, we'd have trouble starting it when hot, and the panel pretty much eliminated that issue.

The plus is we tell people the car is solar-powered when they see the panel in the back. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool2.gif)

While interesting, we haven't done anything solar on the bus. We don't expect to boondock, although it would be nice to have enough battery/charging capacity to run the house A/Cs while moving. Right now, the common practice is to just run the generator to power the A/Cs. The Chassis A/C failed a long time ago, and a PO removed the compressor from the engine. They usually don't work well anyway, and with 210 raging HP, any pony sucked from the drivetrain is a major loss.

Do you have room for more battery capacity? That would help relieve 'battery anxiety' when boondocking.

I have some room. I ordered another identical Interstate SRM-24 marine/rv battery for it. There's enough room on the tongue for a second battery. In bad news it's all "tongue weight" and I have a good bit of that already. The battery should be arriving at the local dealer in the next few days and I ordered spare battery boxes and new hold down straps (the straps I have are hard to remove, like a helmet that you can't get the chin strap to come apart). I should have the battery installed pretty soon.

We aren't doing much "boondocking", but we lost power at the one of our camp sites for 6 hours or so. I'm also learning that the 12 cubic foot refrigerator we have draws like 2.5 amps to hold the propane solenoid open. An 81 amp hour battery would only run that for 32.4 hours. That's assuming you aren't running the heater or lights, etc. Thus, it's not an abundance of capacity. The second battery should be enough for me to feel like we will be ok for a few days without a power source (between the batteries and the solar...once I add the two additional panels).

QUOTE (CrashTestDummy @ Oct 20 2021, 08:44 AM) *
Keep us posted on the Internet solution. We're looking now as our bus would be a bug-out vehicle during tropical weather, and I'm in IT, so really need a good connection. Sounds like something close to NASA Command Center connectivity would be 'just enough'. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

I'm currently looking at installing the fixed antenna for the King Wifi unit (it logs into camp ground wifi, or your cell phone and shares it with the stuff in the camper through a wireless router) since I have it. I may upgrade and try their 15db gain directional antenna. More importantly, I'm now looking at cell phone repeaters. I think cellular internet is likely to be the more important option for us in most places. The campground we were at in hocking hills last weekend has wifi (barely reaches our site and not enough to log my phone in, but a 15 db antenna may fix that) and cell service was spotty enough that I'd randomly get a pile of text messages as I walked through the camper. Therefore, I think there's enough signal for a high gain antenna to do the job through a cell repeater. That's now moving up my list.

I'm also looking into a DirectTV dish for the top. I already have the service, so maybe I just need the hardware and I can take that on the road. That would be a huge benefit. I don't love our satellite service some days, though it really works well now that they have the bugs worked out. Having the ability to use it for "TV anywhere" would be a nice improvement. Our service was so bad last weekend that we missed the tornado warning at 2:45 am. My father in law was there with us in his camper and they had a few TV stations and they got the alert. We never did.

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Oct 21 2021, 01:53 PM
Post #33

Veteran Member

QUOTE (trackbird @ Oct 20 2021, 10:54 AM) *
QUOTE (CrashTestDummy @ Oct 20 2021, 08:37 AM) *

I have some room. I ordered another identical Interstate SRM-24 marine/rv battery for it. There's enough room on the tongue for a second battery. In bad news it's all "tongue weight" and I have a good bit of that already. The battery should be arriving at the local dealer in the next few days and I ordered spare battery boxes and new hold down straps (the straps I have are hard to remove, like a helmet that you can't get the chin strap to come apart). I should have the battery installed pretty soon.

We aren't doing much "boondocking", but we lost power at the one of our camp sites for 6 hours or so. I'm also learning that the 12 cubic foot refrigerator we have draws like 2.5 amps to hold the propane solenoid open. An 81 amp hour battery would only run that for 32.4 hours. That's assuming you aren't running the heater or lights, etc. Thus, it's not an abundance of capacity. The second battery should be enough for me to feel like we will be ok for a few days without a power source (between the batteries and the solar...once I add the two additional panels).

QUOTE (CrashTestDummy @ Oct 20 2021, 08:44 AM) *

I'm currently looking at installing the fixed antenna for the King Wifi unit (it logs into camp ground wifi, or your cell phone and shares it with the stuff in the camper through a wireless router) since I have it. I may upgrade and try their 15db gain directional antenna. More importantly, I'm now looking at cell phone repeaters. I think cellular internet is likely to be the more important option for us in most places. The campground we were at in hocking hills last weekend has wifi (barely reaches our site and not enough to log my phone in, but a 15 db antenna may fix that) and cell service was spotty enough that I'd randomly get a pile of text messages as I walked through the camper. Therefore, I think there's enough signal for a high gain antenna to do the job through a cell repeater. That's now moving up my list.

I'm also looking into a DirectTV dish for the top. I already have the service, so maybe I just need the hardware and I can take that on the road. That would be a huge benefit. I don't love our satellite service some days, though it really works well now that they have the bugs worked out. Having the ability to use it for "TV anywhere" would be a nice improvement. Our service was so bad last weekend that we missed the tornado warning at 2:45 am. My father in law was there with us in his camper and they had a few TV stations and they got the alert. We never did.

Those are probably good options. I have read that though many camps say they have wifi, many times, it's a bare minimum service, and everyone gets a portion of essentially the same connection, so service is iffy, at best. You may 'see' a signal, but good luck getting a connection and staying on. We have yet to get out there and see, but cellular with a high gain antenna is probably going to be our solution.

I'm hoping that TV isn't as important as it seems to be here, and over-the-air should be good, but we'll see how that works in practice. If it's a big deal, then yeah, Dish or DirectTV may be the option.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Oct 22 2021, 01:45 PM
Post #34

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Growing up we camped without AC or a TV. We didn't even have the equipment in the camper. It could be hot and humid and miserable, but we lived. lol. On a recent trip we had three miserable rainy days down in the Hocking Hills (this is where many car magazines test cars, curvy roads, etc) and we wound up inside watching DVD's for most of the evenings (after things closed so we ran out of things to go do). Thus, it's nice to be able to relax and watch some TV when you run out of stuff to do.

I installed the second battery on the camper last night. I'm also learning that despite the name "deep cycle" attached to the batteries, they are recommending only a 50% discharge to avoid damage. So now I basically have the capacity I thought I had in the first place. I'll be adding more solar soon, that should be enough to power most things directly through the day and the batteries should carry through the night. Otherwise, you hook up jumper cables and start the truck to top them off. Just let it idle an hour or so. I really don't think it's going to be an issue. However, if it is, I can look at the LiFPO batteries. They claim you can discharge to 20% and they are lighter. It's a win/win (besides the cost). So maybe I'll put 200-300 amp hours of those on it at a later date. I'll wait until the current batteries prove inadequate or die. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I did purchase an AC/DC clip on amp meter. I'm going to do some testing by turning on one thing at a time and measuring the current (refrigerator, a single internal LED light, then maybe 10 lights to get an average, the heater, etc). Then I should be able to calculate the needed battery capacity to keep things cooking.

Why does everything turn into an engineering project?

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Oct 22 2021, 02:35 PM
Post #35

Veteran Member

Yeah, the big compelling factor for going lithium is the ability to use 'more' of the charge capacity. Unfortunately, there IS the cost of them, and you really need a 'smart' charge-controller, to make sure they don't get charged once at full-charge, or charged when too cold, or too hot. Additionally, the smart charge-controller should at least warn the user, if not disconnect the batteries when they get discharged too much. Getting under about 20% charge capacity can ruin the lithium just as quickly as the lead deep-cycle batteries, only you get to replace expen$ive lithium batteries you just ruined.

On the lithium plus side though, are the weight differences for the same charge capacity, as you note, the ability to charge quickly, use more of the charge capacity, and, it appears, if cared for with a smart charge-controller, longevity. I know of a Youtoober cruiser (SV Delos) who has >10 years on their lithium batteries now, and they're not showing any appreciable loss of capacity.

I'd love to go lithium, but heck, we need to _use_ the damn bus first!!

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Oct 22 2021, 04:08 PM
Post #36

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Yea, the controller for my solar charger system will support those batteries. So it actually is an easy swap for me at this point....besides cost. I'll keep it in mind if I blow up the current setup. I still need $900 in additional solar panels and some other equipment. So I'll sort that out first and revisit the batteries if it's an issue.

+Quote Post
GCrites80s
post Oct 23 2021, 12:58 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

QUOTE (trackbird @ Oct 22 2021, 09:45 AM) *
Growing up we camped without AC or a TV. We didn't even have the equipment in the camper. It could be hot and humid and miserable, but we lived. lol. On a recent trip we had three miserable rainy days down in the Hocking Hills (this is where many car magazines test cars, curvy roads, etc) and we wound up inside watching DVD's for most of the evenings (after things closed so we ran out of things to go do). Thus, it's nice to be able to relax and watch some TV when you run out of stuff to do.

Rabbit ears aren't going to work in the Hocking Hills anyway, hell they barely work in Lancaster.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Oct 23 2021, 01:18 AM
Post #38

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (GCrites80s @ Oct 22 2021, 08:58 PM) *
QUOTE (trackbird @ Oct 22 2021, 09:45 AM) *

Rabbit ears aren't going to work in the Hocking Hills anyway, hell they barely work in Lancaster.

My last camper had a steel whip antenna. I was listening to FM radio from Columbus. The amplified FM/HDTV antenna didn't pickup "anything". I was in the exact same camping spot this time. My father in law was there and their antenna (which is hooked to their TV, mine actually isn't) would pick up 2-3 channels (it's "something").

I need to see if this amplifier has the coax power injector installed. I'm starting to think they forgot to install it.

I took my DC clip on amp meter over tonight and did some testing. I measured the following current draws:

2.44 amps - battery on, nothing extra turned on.
.33 amps - a single led interior light
2.81 amps - 8 cabin lights (on a common switch)
8.73 amps - Heater on/blower running (propane heater)
2.44 amps - refrigerator on, running on propane (electric runs the gas solenoids and logic/control circuits)

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Nov 2 2021, 02:30 AM
Post #39

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Due to freezing temps, we had to cancel our last weekend of camping and winterize the camper. I blew out all of the lines when I tore things down at the last camp site (just in case temps went down in a hurry). So I just had to dump RV antifreeze into the fresh water tank and use the water pump to pump it through all of the lines. I poured in 9 gallons to start and I bypassed the hot water heater (this camper has a hot water tank bypass, though they don't ever tell you that). I never got a good flow out of the bathroom sink. So I went back the next day and put 5 more gallons into the tank and pumped it through all the faucets, the shower, the low point drain and the external shower (careful not to miss anything). We also learned that the fresh water tank drain is a "pull handle" like the gray and black tanks. It dumps water out of a 2.25" hole in the bottom. I expected the typical 1/2" plastic hose with a small valve on the bottom (that takes 3.6 years to drain). I kept looking and I wasn't finding the drain. My father in law rolled under the camper and said "there's a gray handle here", he pulled it and rolled out in a hurry as water started draining at a very rapid rate. It's actually a brilliant idea for a drain. It really flows a lot of water and will drain the tank quickly (the last camper, we just opened the valve and started for home. It usually sloshed all the fresh water out along the route and was mostly empty by the time we parked). So, that's a nice touch.

I also ordered a 3 zone Furrion DVD/entertainment system to replace the Jensen system that came with the camper. I'm going to experiment with it using a 10 amp variable power supply I have here at the house and see what I think before I install it. I don't think it can be any worse than the Jensen, but I'll know more soon.

+Quote Post
GCrites80s
post Nov 3 2021, 12:55 AM
Post #40

Advanced Member

I didn't even know Jensen was still around. Always stood for '90s mediocrity to me.

Yeah I know I'm making a lot of pot shots in this thread but there's really a lot to learn about campers/RVs and it seems like personal anecdotes are the best way to learn about them (unlike a lot of things). I hate tents so I'll probably get one one day.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:18 AM