IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Solo PerformanceUMI PerformanceUnbalanced EngineeringHotpart.comBlaine Fabrication.com
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bought a camper, like I needed another hobby
trackbird
post Nov 3 2021, 11:28 PM
Post #41

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

QUOTE (GCrites80s @ Nov 2 2021, 08:55 PM) *
I didn't even know Jensen was still around. Always stood for '90s mediocrity to me.

Yeah I know I'm making a lot of pot shots in this thread but there's really a lot to learn about campers/RVs and it seems like personal anecdotes are the best way to learn about them (unlike a lot of things). I hate tents so I'll probably get one one day.

Lol. I'm firmly in the "if you can't laugh at yourself camp". I'm not one to get offended....

https://www.asaelectronics.com/

That's the page for Jensen, the Voyage Wifi camera (that sucked), etc. It lists the brands they own and allows you to poke through their offerings. Obviously Winnebago is in a contract of some kind to use their stuff. It's weird to me that a camper at this price (the Voyage line from Winnebago is their top of the line series, and while they aren't insane, they aren't $20k campers either) would sign on to use electronics from what appears to be a lower quality line of equipment. I mean, for what you're paying....charge me $50 more and put a good radio in it. Or, higher JBL, Monsoon, Bose, Infinity, etc and let them build the AV system/speakers. The interior speakers sound about like two children's walkie talkies. Thus, I'm going to change the radio/DVD player and the indoor and outdoor speakers. If they still suck, I'll keep using the soundbar we bought for the other camper or I'll buy a Bose sound bar (I'm not a big fan of Bose, they sound "good", but not "right", however, they make some reasonable impression of bass without subwoofers and I don't have the space to deal with a sub to get decent sound).

As far as learning, I grew up with campers...until about 3rd grade. My dad is familiar with stuff.....40 years ago. My father in law had boats and got a camper and is familiar with them. The best way to learn is to buy one and go make mistakes. The first camper we had (we got a few months ago) was one a friend of my father in law had and he wanted rid of it. So, we got it for free. Decided to see if my bride liked camping. We learned all the fun/hard stuff on that one and then we bought something nicer. And, if you buy one, I'm sure I can help you get started like people helped me. I'm also glad to answer questions if you're trying to decide what you want and what matters (do you need a 50 gallon black tank, or will a 35 gallon do, etc). Or, post here and I'm sure we can have fun discussions. Camper shopping is fun....for a while. We had a hard time getting what we wanted in today's world of production issues. But it's still cool to look and learn.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rpoz-29
post Dec 3 2021, 12:44 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 22

We just bought a small travel trailer. Our first outing was to the NC Outer Banks in early November. We left early as there was a storm coming in that threatened to flood the roads. There is almost always a steady breeze down there, but we were seeing 30-40 mph gusts as we were leaving.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Dec 13 2021, 02:14 AM
Post #43

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (rpoz-29 @ Dec 3 2021, 07:44 AM) *
We just bought a small travel trailer. Our first outing was to the NC Outer Banks in early November. We left early as there was a storm coming in that threatened to flood the roads. There is almost always a steady breeze down there, but we were seeing 30-40 mph gusts as we were leaving.

Somehow I missed this post. What did you get? How do you like it? 30-40 mph is rough wind. We towed back from Hocking HIlls Ohio (about 80 miles) in some nasty cross winds and head winds. It was a rough day towing. Our winds were only in the 12-14 mph range, give or take.

I installed the next two solar panels on the camper today. It now has three 190 watt solar panels and a 30 amp solar controller to go with the dual 81 amp hour deep cycle batteries. I ran some lights and the power stabilizers (and the tongue jack just for some load on the battery) and it appears that the solar panels were basically powering that stuff in real time. The batteries stayed at 100% and the charging was showing as minimal (since the battery is already charged). I think this should about take care of the 12v power for off grid use. Now I'm shopping for a 2200-2500 watt inverter generator for off grid (just enough to power the smaller AC unit and some electronics like the TV or a radio). I wish it wasn't freezing out, I'd like to go camping.

I have new bookshelf speakers (Polk Audio T15 I bought on sale recently) and a new 3 zoned Furrion DVD player/radio/entertainment unit to swap in to replace the Jensen. That's my next project for the off season, I'll rewire the entertainment center, wire the bookshelf speakers to zone 1, the interior original speakers to zone two and the outdoor speakers to zone 3. I also bought a switch and power injector for the roof mounted HD antenna that will allow me to switch between campground CATV (when available) and the antenna (while putting power on the antenna when in antenna mode). I also purchased another FM antenna to hook to the entertainment center. I'll have this thing completely rewired by the time I'm done. And I still need to find the wire under that antenna so I can get the King WiFi repeater hooked to the external antenna, that's my next project on the roof. I "think" that should get me ready for next year and cover all the projects I have had in mind.

+Quote Post
rpoz-29
post Dec 13 2021, 06:34 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

We got a 25' Coleman. I haven't done anything much to it yet. The furnace blew a fuse when we used it, and I need to address that. I replaced the fuse but that wasn't the culprit. Otherwise it did okay. I tow it with an all stock '96 Dodge 4x4 2500 diesel.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Dec 14 2021, 01:18 AM
Post #45

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (rpoz-29 @ Dec 13 2021, 01:34 PM) *
We got a 25' Coleman. I haven't done anything much to it yet. The furnace blew a fuse when we used it, and I need to address that. I replaced the fuse but that wasn't the culprit. Otherwise it did okay. I tow it with an all stock '96 Dodge 4x4 2500 diesel.

Odd, the only thing that should be drawing major power is the blower fan. A blown fuse seems odd.

I need more truck. Correction, I want more truck. My 5.3 liter 1500 is rated to tow 9200 lbs. I'm towing about 8500 lbs. But it works a little bit on the hills. I thought the 6.2 liter might be a good option, but the fuel mileage is even worse. That has me considering the new Duramax 6 cylinder in the 1500 series trucks. However, I suspect I'll wind up with a 2500 or a single rear wheel 3500.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Dec 15 2021, 07:40 PM
Post #46

FRRAX Owner/Admin

I gave up on my dealer and finally contacted the people who made the breaker box/power panel in my camper (a company called WFCO). I sent some pictures and they shipped me a new cover for the breaker panel. The camper had a broken breaker panel door when we bought it. The dealer is still waiting on parts so I started contacting vendors directly. They shipped it and I had it in a day. I send pics to make sure I had the right breaker panel number (to get the right parts) and they sent it right out. I'm very impressed with their service and that's one thing off the list.

Now I have to find "MCS" that makes pull down shades and get a 62" replacement for the one by the dinette that's stuck down now. It's always something.

+Quote Post
rpoz-29
post Dec 15 2021, 11:22 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

I thought it was odd. I replaced the fuse, but still had nothing. I need to get in the mood to fix it, but that'll be after the first of the year.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Dec 16 2021, 03:28 AM
Post #48

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (rpoz-29 @ Dec 15 2021, 06:22 PM) *
I thought it was odd. I replaced the fuse, but still had nothing. I need to get in the mood to fix it, but that'll be after the first of the year.

Do you know what brand and model number the heater is? We might be able to find a schematic and start there.

+Quote Post
rpoz-29
post Dec 16 2021, 03:52 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

It's an Atwood. Model # AFSD20111, Item # 32855, serial #73292730. 18,000 BTU. I did a little web investigating, and saw a number of people replacing the mother board, but I don't know if it was the same model as mine.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Dec 17 2021, 01:01 AM
Post #50

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (rpoz-29 @ Dec 16 2021, 10:52 AM) *
It's an Atwood. Model # AFSD20111, Item # 32855, serial #73292730. 18,000 BTU. I did a little web investigating, and saw a number of people replacing the mother board, but I don't know if it was the same model as mine.

I don't know this company, but they seem to sell rebuild parts and repair kits (there may be other sources). It may be worth calling them to see what they can tell you. Often they will help so they can sell you the parts.

https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/atwood-...111-tune-up-kit

+Quote Post
rpoz-29
post Dec 17 2021, 01:43 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Thanks!

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Dec 19 2021, 07:59 PM
Post #52

Veteran Member

Member No.: 385

QUOTE (trackbird @ Dec 13 2021, 07:18 PM) *
QUOTE (rpoz-29 @ Dec 13 2021, 01:34 PM) *

Odd, the only thing that should be drawing major power is the blower fan. A blown fuse seems odd.

I need more truck. Correction, I want more truck. My 5.3 liter 1500 is rated to tow 9200 lbs. I'm towing about 8500 lbs. But it works a little bit on the hills. I thought the 6.2 liter might be a good option, but the fuel mileage is even worse. That has me considering the new Duramax 6 cylinder in the 1500 series trucks. However, I suspect I'll wind up with a 2500 or a single rear wheel 3500.

We've absolutely LOVED our '02 2500HD D/A. With a ~3000# car on an open steel trailer you kind of forget it's back there. We also netted 18.6 MPG on the trip to Topeka the year we went to Nats. We did have the tailgate latch retainers finally break (common problem due to stupid plastic bits), and it's recently started having issues with the dash lights coming on at start-up, but that's about the only problems we've had in nearly 20 years of ownership. Heck, still have the OEM brake pads on the thing.

If it weren't for the stupid DEF and pollution control crap they've piled on diesels these days, I'd trade it in now, while we're both working, for an upgrade and to reset the clock. If we do that, I might actually opt for the 6.2, but my God, the GMC has been a solid-performer for us!

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Dec 19 2021, 08:02 PM
Post #53

Veteran Member

QUOTE (rpoz-29 @ Dec 16 2021, 09:52 AM) *

A family of you-tubers who vlog their travels had the MB on the heater on their NEW Airstream pop, and IIRC, the telltale was the thing would light the burner, and occasionally popped the breaker. A replacement MB, that was owner-replaceable in about 15 minutes of take your time work, seemed to have solved that issue.

+Quote Post
GCrites80s
post Dec 20 2021, 01:19 AM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 223,855

Hmm, maybe a voltage regulator FET went bad on the MB. If there's any visible blown capacitors that's another tell.

+Quote Post
rpoz-29
post Dec 21 2021, 02:54 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

I'm late as usual. I saw the folks that vlog their travels, and they post some good information. I'll check them out again.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Dec 26 2021, 01:29 AM
Post #56

FRRAX Owner/Admin

I couldn't pick up any tv stations or radio stations in the camper the last time we were out. I also mentioned that I disliked the Jensen DVD player/entertainment center. I went over yesterday to start installing the new Furrion DVD/entertainment system. When I pulled the radio out I found that there is a splitter coming from the "amplified antenna wall plate with a switch to power the antenna" The FM antenna lead was hooked to the input of the cable splitter, the other two wires (on a 3 way splitter that should have been a 2 way) are still running to unknown locations. The antenna has a black cable attached to it on the roof, the cable attached to the "antenna input" on the switch plate is white. There is a black cable, but I'm unsure if it's the antenna or something else. They could have extended the cable on the antenna, but it shouldn't need that much cable to get to the AV area in the camper so I'd expect the factory lead to reach. Now I'm going to short each cable hookup (one at a time) and sort out what cables go where, tag them all and then install them correctly. Currently, I don't really trust anything they have done, so I'll start from scratch.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jan 1 2022, 12:42 AM
Post #57

FRRAX Owner/Admin

The new radio is in. I had to cut the cabinet with an oscillating saw to get it to fit. The opening wasn't a true double DIN, it was about 3/8" too short. I marked it, and cut it nice and clean and the face of the radio covers it. I did have an issue with a screw that was put in with a "Kreg jig" that had the head in the way on one side, so I just removed it. It still has other screws and it's just a short face plate for the front of the cabinet under the radio. The antenna has been rewired and hooked up correctly. I changed to a two way splitter for the coax and now I need to get out of town to see how the reception does. In town I pick up everything anyway. If that doesn't work, I'll swap to a separate antenna of some kind and move along from there.

Next up, a cell phone repeater with an external antenna and I'm considering adding a Dish for TV (we've had some crappy camping days and having TV would be nice....assuming the weather doesn't kill the signal).

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Jan 1 2022, 03:51 PM
Post #58

Veteran Member

QUOTE (trackbird @ Dec 25 2021, 07:29 PM) *
I couldn't pick up any tv stations or radio stations in the camper the last time we were out. I also mentioned that I disliked the Jensen DVD player/entertainment center. I went over yesterday to start installing the new Furrion DVD/entertainment system. When I pulled the radio out I found that there is a splitter coming from the "amplified antenna wall plate with a switch to power the antenna" The FM antenna lead was hooked to the input of the cable splitter, the other two wires (on a 3 way splitter that should have been a 2 way) are still running to unknown locations. The antenna has a black cable attached to it on the roof, the cable attached to the "antenna input" on the switch plate is white. There is a black cable, but I'm unsure if it's the antenna or something else. They could have extended the cable on the antenna, but it shouldn't need that much cable to get to the AV area in the camper so I'd expect the factory lead to reach. Now I'm going to short each cable hookup (one at a time) and sort out what cables go where, tag them all and then install them correctly. Currently, I don't really trust anything they have done, so I'll start from scratch.

Brand new, OR 40 years old, isn’t RV wiring fun? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rant2.gif)

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jan 1 2022, 05:20 PM
Post #59

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (CrashTestDummy @ Jan 1 2022, 10:51 AM) *
Brand new, OR 40 years old, isn’t RV wiring fun? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rant2.gif)

Yea. It's a little like race cars, there's always something to do. In good news, I can quit and just go camping (once the weather is better), but I have some things I'd like to do. We are in good shape, but I can never leave well enough alone. I'll never change.

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Jan 2 2022, 07:33 PM
Post #60

Veteran Member

Yeah, our Bluebird has been the 'gift that keeps on giving'! We went with a Haloview brand rear view camera system, which I think is Furrion reboxes. It's supposedly compatible with the Furrion units, anyway. I opted for their 'portable' unit, mostly because the cameral was 'wireless' and had a battery pack that boasted 16 hours of uptime. The battery pack can just lay inside the overhead storage bin next to the antenna. I can charge it there, via USB, or remove it and charge it up front.

The camera has a magnetic mount you can use, and we opted for that, sticking it to the old camera mount. It's solid, and seems to be in a pretty good spot. Fine-tuning will happen when we go somewhere. I can see all except the closest 11' to the back of the bus, so I'll still need a spotter. I'd not back the thing w/o a spotter anyway, so it's kind of a moot point. The camera antenna can stay in the back storage bay and still provide signal to the monitor. I'm planning to install Furrion side view cameras, too, which supposedly work with this monitor.

The whole kit comes in a Pelican-like storage box, which is overkill for what we need. I went this route since I figured I'd have to search for the least number of ancilliary bits to install the thing. I was right.

I'm also working on installing a trailer brake controller, since we're planning to tow the race car, and maybe a toad, to events. While the bus is wired for trailers, complete with a 7-pin connector, there's no brake controller signal wire there, which really sux. I am trying to figure out how is best to get the signal wire from the dash to the connector. There's no single cable run inside, and it has to go to the back and 'inside' the coach to connect to the trailer plug. You really can't see the wiring at the plug unless you pull the plug out of the body. There's just too much stuff back there. It's also odd that they put the plug about 3' up the back side of the bus, and not down at the receiver, where I would have preferred. I'll need an extension, since my trailer wiring is of a good length to reach the receiver, but not much more.

It's always something......

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:10 PM