IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
UMI PerformanceUnbalanced EngineeringHotpart.comSolo PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.com
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Now Danica to NASCAR?, JPM setting a trend?
Teutonic Speedra...
post Jul 10 2006, 05:03 PM
Post #1

LS1 Inside! / Toolbox / Mechanical Engineer

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 179

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/5772590?FSO1&ATT=HMA
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CMC #37
post Jul 10 2006, 06:24 PM
Post #2

CMCer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 194

Interesting! I missed the story on JPM, wow! Wasn't he the guy that "traded" cars with Jeff Gordon one day? They had an F1 guy driving Gordon's car and he drove an F1 car. The F1 guy went through some tires because he was using a technique stopping the NASCAR car by putting it up on the tires edges on the road course he was testing it on!

Should be fun to watch!

+Quote Post
rpoz-29
post Jul 10 2006, 09:59 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 22

Maybe Danica should win a race in IRL before she "explores" other venues. I have nothing against women in racing, but I hate seeing the ink she gets for being just another driver. Sarah Fisher didn't get this much publicity. But I would like to see DP and Erin Crocker mixing it up.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jul 10 2006, 10:03 PM
Post #4

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

I'd love to see Sarah Fisher get a ride and win one (or several). I think she has talent and a bit of bad luck (unfortunately). I remember her and Lyn St. James running the Indy 500 and I was hoping one of them would win it. Instead, St. James took Sarah out in an accident that unfortunately gathered up the only two women in the field. I just kept waiting on the "comments" that were sure to come out of that one. Hit anyone on the track, but not Sarah..... Damn.

+Quote Post
beuke23
post Jul 10 2006, 10:15 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 39

Wow...

Well, my personal opinion is for Danica to stay in IRL. I haven't read her reasons, so right now it just appears too premature for her to leave IRL.

+Quote Post
CMC #37
post Jul 10 2006, 11:20 PM
Post #6

CMCer

Reading that story above it seems as if her Dad is trying to convince her to go to NASCAR...he may not be able to do that!

+Quote Post
prockbp
post Jul 11 2006, 05:32 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

with the amount of media that Danica gets, it seems that she should have allready been in nascar...

+Quote Post
CMC #37
post Jul 11 2006, 06:05 AM
Post #8

CMCer

C'mon guys... you know why Danica gets all the coverage she does. If you want this kinda stuff to stop then write Hot Rod and Car Craft and complain when they feature women in with cars, stop buying calendars with cars and chicks, etc. When this happens Danica will be just another racer. Like the extra minutes in the TV commercial. When? Never! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jul 11 2006, 12:05 PM
Post #9

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Mostly, I think she needs to eat a sandwich...... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

I read her interview in FHM some time ago and she came off as an arrogant, road raging idiot.

Then, our local TV station test drove the new Honda SUV with her and while she was driving, he was in the back doing the inteview and she said something like "just as long as everyone stays out of my way, we'll have a good drive" (or something equally stupid). I'm guessing it's a persona that she thinks race fans would like, mostly she sounds like a spoiled brat when she opens her mouth. She can drive and drive well, but anger management might help with the rest of it.

I suspect that dad realized that there is a ton of money in NASCAR and that she should run there in an effort to make a very large fortune (like Tony Stewart). It's smart business, but I wonder how the "good ol' boy" network will handle her? I think NASCAR is more ready for her now than they were 10 years ago, but I still have to wonder how that might play out. If nobody will draft with you, you will not get very far on many tracks. It would be intersting to follow (not that I'll watch the races, but I'd be curious to see how it worked out). When was the last female driver in NASCAR?

+Quote Post
robz71lm7
post Jul 11 2006, 12:35 PM
Post #10

Veteran Member

Member No.: 40

QUOTE (trackbird @ Jul 11 2006, 08:05 AM) *
When was the last female driver in NASCAR?

Shawna Robinson not that long ago (2001, 2002???), but she never had good equipment. I remember a race I saw with her in it and Bobby Labonte's car had more power on 7 cylinders than hers did on 8. Her husband worked on Dale Jr's pit crew IIRC. Before that you had Patty Moise (spelling?) and her Husband Elton Sawyer who in the mid 90's both raced in Cup IIRC. There are more, but I'd have to pull my books out.

If you want this kinda stuff to stop then write Hot Rod and Car Craft and complain when they feature women in with cars, stop buying calendars with cars and chicks, etc

I agree that's a lot of it but I've never bought one of those magazines nor have I ever owned a girls/cars calendar. I probably find it every bit as annoying as women do. In fact I may have just found a topic for my "Women in American Culture" class I'm in right now. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

That said I'll be shocked if she moves to NASCAR. It would be interesting however, since she would be unlike any other female driver in NASCAR.

+Quote Post
Chris 96 WS6
post Jul 11 2006, 12:59 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Group: Member
Member No.: 1

Danica best spend a year or two racing Busch series before venturing into Cup. I wonder the same thing about JPM. If they get out there and don't know what they're doing, they'll have no respect from the regulars and it will be very hard to "break in"

Tony did this and look at his success. Would he have been as successful if he was arrogant enough to assume there was no learning curve and jumped straight into Cup? Prolly would have washed out like so many others (Scott Pruett?).

I'll say Boris Said is taking the long way but the right way getting into Nascar full time.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jul 11 2006, 01:16 PM
Post #12

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (robz71lm7 @ Jul 11 2006, 08:35 AM) *
Shawna Robinson not that long ago (2001, 2002???), but she never had good equipment. I remember a race I saw with her in it and Bobby Labonte's car had more power on 7 cylinders than hers did on 8. Her husband worked on Dale Jr's pit crew IIRC. Before that you had Patty Moise (spelling?) and her Husband Elton Sawyer who in the mid 90's both raced in Cup IIRC. There are more, but I'd have to pull my books out.

Ahh, thanks Rob. I don't watch NASCAR races (I just forget they are on, I'll watch 15 minutes and then go do something else when I do see them on) so I have little grasp of the history because I was never really aware of it. I couldn't remember any, but it appears that there have been more than a few. It's sad that they didn't get competitive rides (which is most of the battle). I'd love to see more females doing well in racing. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be there and running up front/winning. It's been studied that women are more analytical and less impulsive than men (if I remember my psychology correctly) which should make them better on the track than we are, and most of them are lighter than we are, but that's not always true.

+Quote Post
AndyJ
post Jul 11 2006, 01:35 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 791

QUOTE (trackbird @ Jul 11 2006, 08:16 AM) *
and most of them are lighter than we are, but that's not always true.

So are fat chicks not as capable or what?? (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/burnout.gif)

NASCAR has evolved into a marketing machine back in the day, the identity centered on the badge--Chevy, Ford, Mopar and I think that was my favorite time. "Win on Sunday - Sell on Monday" I would have a hard time telling you what Elliot Sadler drove at Chicago. Now the marketing centers on the driver's and I think that was a savvy move.

I think I need a sandwich --- (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
Teutonic Speedra...
post Jul 11 2006, 02:28 PM
Post #14

LS1 Inside! / Toolbox / Mechanical Engineer

Member No.: 179

It's all about the money. I used to watch every race, now I watch fewer and fewer as NASCAR gets more and more commercialized. Next year I will watch fewer races as they will not have any start times sooner than 2:00PM EST to accommodate the West Coast and try and get East Coast people to stay right on the couch for their Primetime lineups.....which means your whole Sunday will be pretty much shot. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

+Quote Post
LT4Firehawk
post Jul 11 2006, 02:43 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 5

Duh, posted in the other thread before I even saw this one. Anyway, I hope Danica stays in IRL, but I have a nasty suspicion she'll end up in NASCAR as that's where the big money is. She does come off as being somewhat arrogant at times, but I really think she just likes driving fast. I saw another interview with her recently, and they asked about who drove on the street. She said she usually let's her husband drive because she gets enough driving time at the track. She did say that when she drives on the street she does drive fast (10, 15, 20 over, she kept raising it (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ). I've also heard her say she didn't like slow driver's, but then I don't either (Americans have no lane discipline).

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jul 11 2006, 03:02 PM
Post #16

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (AndyJ @ Jul 11 2006, 09:35 AM) *
QUOTE (trackbird @ Jul 11 2006, 08:16 AM) *

and most of them are lighter than we are, but that's not always true.

So are fat chicks not as capable or what?? (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/burnout.gif)

I didn't say that. I like a girl who can throw me around...... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

One of the IRL guys was complaining that Danica had an advantage since she was so light, that wasn't too long ago either......

QUOTE (LT4Firehawk @ Jul 11 2006, 10:43 AM) *
I've also heard her say she didn't like slow driver's, but then I don't either (Americans have no lane discipline).

Yea, Virginia and Ohio are among the worst about that. People refuse to move out of the left lane. They come off of an exit ramp, take 3 lanes and drive 60 in a 65. Usually in some giant SUV. They usually manage to frustrate me after a few miles and I'm forced to pass them on the right (I really hate doing that). If people had a clue, it would be better, I agree. But her attitude is beyond that in my opinion.

+Quote Post
killer_bluebird
post Jul 11 2006, 03:12 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,010

I think she is very assertive and focused and that sometimes makes her appear arrogant. Also the fact that she has no personality once so ever doesn't help. I saw her a few times when she was hosting Spike TV's Power Block and she acted like a robot it was really freaky. I think Spike Tv realized that and they change host to the lady that used to be in Overhauling. Much better host although she is in the other side of the spectrum and can be a bit obnoxious.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jul 11 2006, 03:39 PM
Post #18

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (killer_bluebird @ Jul 11 2006, 11:12 AM) *
I think she is very assertive and focused and that sometimes makes her appear arrogant.

In her FHM spread, she said (rough quote, though it may be exact) "I use my horn more in one day than most people do in a lifetime". That's not arrogant, that's immature/spoiled brat. But what do I know???? I'd expect more of a professional, that's all.

Maybe it's her superior reflexes. I never have time to use my horn, I'm plenty busy just passing them in the grass...... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/rant.gif)

+Quote Post
sjc115
post Jul 11 2006, 03:40 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 825

QUOTE (trackbird @ Jul 11 2006, 08:05 AM) *
... It's smart business, but I wonder how the "good ol' boy" network will handle her? ...

I was just having this conversation with a friend. I don't think NASCAR has a 'good ol' boy' network anymore (or at least it is much smaller now than it ever was). If the 'good ol' boys' were still running the show do you think Toyota would be fielding a team? Especially teams that included Darrel Waltrip and Dale Jarrett in some form or another. Both of those guys came up through the 'old school' good ol' boy days. If they can accept Toyota, then I think the rest of the NASCAR posse can accept a female driver.

Like you said, it's just smart business.

+Quote Post
CMC #37
post Jul 11 2006, 03:59 PM
Post #20

CMCer

If you want this kinda stuff to stop then write Hot Rod and Car Craft and complain when they feature women in with cars, stop buying calendars with cars and chicks, etc

I agree that's a lot of it but I've never bought one of those magazines nor have I ever owned a girls/cars calendar. I probably find it every bit as annoying as women do. In fact I may have just found a topic for my "Women in American Culture" class I'm in right now. smile.gif

Cool! I'd love to see a copy of that paper! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 02:20 PM