IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Hotpart.comSolo PerformanceUMI PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.comUnbalanced Engineering

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> iRacing
RVachon
post Oct 22 2009, 03:17 PM
Post #1

Angry White Man

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,404

Anybody here run in iRacing or any other sim? If so, which "series" are you in?

I'll probably try iRacing soon. I also run at Race2Play.com with GTR2, & rFactor with the various mods. Helps keep the skills sharp in the off season. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Casey_SS
post Oct 22 2009, 06:22 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,746

Yeah, I've been playing around with it for several months now and really like it. I'm running in the Formula Mazda series at the moment but have only been devoting an hour or two a week so progress / results have been slow. Usually only get time for one testing / development session to tinker with setup & remember the track, then race a day or two later. The races are scheduled, similar to R2P. It's tough to compete with the guys putting in several hours a day but it's still a ton of fun and I can usually pull off a mid-pack finish if I stay out of trouble.

One of my favorite things about it is the safety rating & licensing systems....this seems to have pretty well taken care of the childish b.s. that goes on in GTR2 and other online race sims. I'll probably do another Formula Mazda season and then go try to learn a different car. Used to do quite a few GTR2 races at Race2Play.com as well but haven't really looked back since joining iRacing. Really like it....very helpful for me as a training aide for visual skills & general racecraft. Hope to see you on there soon (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
cozog
post Oct 26 2009, 12:03 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,935

Is there a car in iRacing that comes close to an F-body in power/handling/weight?

This post has been edited by cozog: Oct 26 2009, 12:03 PM

+Quote Post
RVachon
post Oct 26 2009, 07:56 PM
Post #4

Angry White Man

Member No.: 1,404

Not currently, but I heard through the grapevine that they have the rights to CMC, which should show up in the future.

+Quote Post
wdtiger
post Oct 27 2009, 09:45 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,207

I run iRacing almost exclusively.

They said they would have the Mustang FR500 soon, but that was announced months ago and i haven't heard anything new on it. They're releasing the Corvette C6.R and the Dallara Indycar in the next few days. Right now, i run the Skip Barber car a lot. I've been holding off on the Star Mazda to see if the Radical crowd picks up with them lowering the license requirements on it.

A friend and I are building our own set of pedals for this stuff. Uses a load cell for the brake rather than a potentiometer. It's pretty nice. Still in the prototype stage.

+Quote Post
GaryK
post Oct 27 2009, 03:42 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 71

QUOTE (wdtiger @ Oct 27 2009, 05:45 AM) *
A friend and I are building our own set of pedals for this stuff. Uses a load cell for the brake rather than a potentiometer. It's pretty nice. Still in the prototype stage.

I messed around with racing sims a bit a few years ago, and the brake pedal was the thing that I really wanted to see improved. I'd be really interested in one that uses pressure rather than position.

This iracing thing looks pretty good, I might have to go ahead and get a wheel and pedals (even with the crappy brake pedal) and try it out.

+Quote Post
wdtiger
post Oct 27 2009, 07:41 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,207

It's really nice. You have the option of having the pedals hang from above (like most cars), or pivot from the floor (like some of those goofy German cars. haha). The load cell gives you the option of tuning the braking feel by changing the spring that controls the motion of the pedal. You can make it really soft like a Cadillac or super stiff, even to the point of having zero pedal movement if you want. There is complete adjustability in the height and throw (both stops, out and in) of the pedals, as well as the lateral spacing between all three pedals (yes, there's a clutch pedal) independently of each other.

There's still some challenges we're working on fixing, but the pedals are about 90% finished. After that, we'll start working on cosmetic finishing because right now it looks like a Mad Max shop project.

+Quote Post
Teutonic Speedra...
post Oct 28 2009, 11:04 AM
Post #8

LS1 Inside! / Toolbox / Mechanical Engineer

Member No.: 179

Yes. I built a computer back in May and have been using iRacing ever since. I try to get an hour or two in everyday, but that doesn't always happen. It's one nice complete organized package! I did the Solstice for quite some time, and then just finished the 12 week season in the Skip Barber Formula 2000. I've also dabbled with the Mazda as well as the Radical. I recently picked up the Daytona Prototype and Mosport and can't wait for the C6R later this week.

Of the tracks I've been to with the real car (Watkins Glen, VIR, Limerock, Summit Point, Jefferson), the tracks are dead on accurate. The simulation is fun, there are forums, stats, etc.

If any of you want to give it a shot, please send me a PM so that I can get a referral credit.

As for the rig, I have an Obutto cockpit, E8400 C2D CPU, and Fanatec GT3RS wheel with Clubsport Aluminum adjustable load-cell pedals. Next up is the triple screen setup.

FWIW-I did my first HPDE since May on Monday, and although I had a good time at a new track (Lightning at NJMP), I was excited to get back to the iRacing again!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:32 AM