IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hotpart.comBlaine Fabrication.comUnbalanced EngineeringSolo PerformanceUMI Performance

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anybody got an LT1 power steering pump for sale?, Mine's starting to whine
LT4Firehawk
post Jun 30 2005, 01:56 AM
Post #1

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5

Like the topic says, it hasn't gone out yet, but it's showing the signs.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
KeithO
post Jun 30 2005, 09:35 AM
Post #2

Veteran Member

Member No.: 14

At the local auto parts store they are only around $50 plus core and you get a lifetime warranty. You might want to check into that route first.

+Quote Post
LT4Firehawk
post Jun 30 2005, 01:29 PM
Post #3

Didn't realize the reman parts store units were that cheap. I saw the price for the GM unit and figured they'd all be outrageous. Thanks.

+Quote Post
CamaroFS34
post Jun 30 2005, 01:49 PM
Post #4

Green Terror

Member No.: 175

The one in my green car has been whining for something like 200K now. But I supposed it's better to be safe than sorry. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Karen

+Quote Post
y5e06
post Jun 30 2005, 04:00 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 88

You should pay attention to a C4 Vette. They whine so bad I once had a kid ask me if it had a blower on it. They all seem to be like that.

+Quote Post
mustbnutz
post Jun 30 2005, 04:20 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 60

Good synthetic oil and a cooler keep the whining down in mine. Fluid still usually needs replaced after a couple track days. It was much worse after Mid-Ohio than it was WGI.

Is there no Turn One pump for LT1s?

+Quote Post
torontoZ28
post Jun 30 2005, 05:48 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 543

i believe that there is a turn one pump for the lt1.

mine started to whine a bit after a lapping event, but after installed a cooler, i havent had any problems since (knock on wood), even while running a regular non-synthetic. i use a turkey baster to transfer out and refill some fluid every now and then.
its cheap insurance for your pump!

+Quote Post
LT4Firehawk
post Jul 1 2005, 02:20 PM
Post #8

Turn One LT1 pump is $225. I may go ahead and go that route. I was planning on plumbing in a cooler if I went with a standard rebuilt unit, but I think the Turn One might be the better alternative.

It's not just the pump whining, but also a belt squeel at startup. My guess is that the pump is leaking onto the belt. I initially thought it was the belt tensioner, but replacing it didn't make any difference. Then I started noticing a little whine on steering wheel input (which is getting worse), so that leads to the PS pump.

+Quote Post
Varkwso
post Jul 4 2005, 05:20 PM
Post #9

Group: Members
Member No.: 707

QUOTE (LT4Firehawk @ Jul 1 2005, 08:20)
Turn One LT1 pump is $225. I may go ahead and go that route. I was planning on plumbing in a cooler if I went with a standard rebuilt unit, but I think the Turn One might be the better alternative.

It's not just the pump whining, but also a belt squeel at startup. My guess is that the pump is leaking onto the belt. I initially thought it was the belt tensioner, but replacing it didn't make any difference. Then I started noticing a little whine on steering wheel input (which is getting worse), so that leads to the PS pump.

I have noted boiling in my LT1 pump when I was at a track day. The pump is not dead yet but it is coming. I have pulled the fluid and replaced with synthetic. LGM has an underdrive pulley system - but I think the Turn 1 pump is cheaper in the end.

+Quote Post
KeithO
post Jul 4 2005, 09:32 PM
Post #10

Veteran Member

Member No.: 14

I had a Turn One PS pump in my old LS1 and I have an underdrive pulley in my current LT1. I think the underdrive pulley setup is equally effective and it gives a little power as well. The only reason that I would go with a Turn One PS pump is if I was running FS and I wanted to continue to look stock - you can't do that with an underdrive pulley system.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 06:56 PM