IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hotpart.comUMI PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.comSolo PerformanceUnbalanced Engineering
> Time Trials for NFME 2008!
NFME 2008 Time trials!
How much are you willing to pay extra to participate
Nothing [ 1 ] ** [7.14%]
Anything up to $50.00 [ 4 ] ** [28.57%]
$50 to $100 [ 7 ] ** [50.00%]
I don't care how much, where do I sign up? [ 2 ] ** [14.29%]
Total Votes: 14
Guests cannot vote 
TrakCar
post Aug 27 2007, 02:24 PM
Post #1

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 743

During our investigation it appears that there will be a increased cost associated with running a time trial at next years NFME (insurance increase). For that reason we decided to setup a poll to get a feeling if as a group we would be willing to pay a small premium to add this event.

Andris and I are in the beginning stages of hammering out the details so nothing is currently set in stone.
Here a couple hightlights:

1) We will probably "Borrow" NASA's current TT classifications and adapt them for our cars and typical modifications. It is likely for simplicity sake we will break down groups similar to the Auto-X classes (stock, street prepared, prepared, and Holy Crap (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) )

2) All drivers wishing to participate will need to have a minimum amount of experience, and be signed off by our groups instructors.

3) We are looking at several options for timing ans scoring, details to be
announced later.

4) You will need to be signed up for the regular road course event, this is a add on event (well Duuuuhhhh)

Our current proposal is to charge $50 for registration to the time trial portion of the event. At this time, your not signing up for anything, but please don't tell us you'd do it if your not at least thinking hard about it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
z28tt
post Aug 28 2007, 05:25 AM
Post #2

www.skulte.com

Member No.: 515

Costas,
The TT is a competition near the end of the 2nd day, once everyone is familiar with the track. In the past we've done four 20-30 minute run groups - one and two for the inexperienced folks, three for the intermediates, and four for the instructors & advanced drivers. Since the cars are for the most part evenly matched (no 100 hp ITA cars vs 700 hp GT1 cars), it's a bit easier to group by experience, and move folks around as needed, and give instructors some time off. If everything goes smoothly with the students, I'd love to do open sessions (no run groups), at least for the 2nd day - everyone gets all the track time they can handle, without being constrained to a schedule, which is very helpful for test and tune, instead of fixed time slots and schedules that slip. When instructing, I'm a huge proponent of always checking your mirrors and letting the guy behind you pass as soon as possible (he got there by driving faster, duh! You'd be surprised how many folks - usually in expensive p or f-cars at some other club events don't get this). We're still working on the timing details, which depends if enough people are interested.

Andris

This post has been edited by z28tt: Aug 28 2007, 05:29 AM

+Quote Post
cccbock
post Aug 28 2007, 02:37 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,113

QUOTE (z28tt @ Aug 28 2007, 12:25 AM) *
Costas,
The TT is a competition near the end of the 2nd day, once everyone is familiar with the track. In the past we've done four 20-30 minute run groups - one and two for the inexperienced folks, three for the intermediates, and four for the instructors & advanced drivers. Since the cars are for the most part evenly matched (no 100 hp ITA cars vs 700 hp GT1 cars), it's a bit easier to group by experience, and move folks around as needed, and give instructors some time off. If everything goes smoothly with the students, I'd love to do open sessions (no run groups), at least for the 2nd day - everyone gets all the track time they can handle, without being constrained to a schedule, which is very helpful for test and tune, instead of fixed time slots and schedules that slip. When instructing, I'm a huge proponent of always checking your mirrors and letting the guy behind you pass as soon as possible (he got there by driving faster, duh! You'd be surprised how many folks - usually in expensive p or f-cars at some other club events don't get this). We're still working on the timing details, which depends if enough people are interested.

Andris

Andris covers it well, but just as additional clarification...for those that may not have been to the NFME before.

Our "Road Race" event (road race is a misnomer here) began 12 years ago when there were virtually no HPDEs (formerly called Open tracking or Lapping) open to Novice drivers. NFME RR event really is an HPDE and driving school, and we encourage novices with any year F-body cars to attend and learn the limits of their own ability and their car.

Licensed Road Racers and Time Trial drivers from a recognized sanctioning body (like SCCA or NASA) or people that can demonstrate significant experience will be grouped or classed with others of similar experience, with the exception of the possible open session Andris alluded to. The open session is not a done deal, but we are heading that direction. Time Trial is a feature we are hoping to incorporate for the first time, but we cant ask the Novices and HPDE people to underwrite the additional expenses. BTW, Novices will need to be signed off by their instructor to run Time Trial due to insurance concerns.

For those so inclined, don't forget we will also have a full autocross the NFME 2008 open to all who register for it. Some of our fellow FRRAXers have won the AX event in the recent years events.

Bock

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
TrakCar   Time Trials for NFME 2008!   Aug 27 2007, 02:24 PM
Shortcutsleeping   Let me see if I get this. For the 'road racin...   Aug 28 2007, 02:51 AM
z28tt   Costas, The TT is a competition near the end of t...   Aug 28 2007, 05:25 AM
cccbock   QUOTE (z28tt @ Aug 28 2007, 12:25 AM) Cos...   Aug 28 2007, 02:37 PM
axoid   QUOTE (cccbock @ Aug 28 2007, 08:37 AM) S...   Aug 28 2007, 10:30 PM
TrakCar   QUOTE (axoid @ Aug 28 2007, 04:30 PM) QUO...   Aug 29 2007, 03:06 PM
Shortcutsleeping   I'm curious. How is the autocross scored? Are ...   Aug 29 2007, 04:57 PM
axoid   QUOTE (TrakCar @ Aug 29 2007, 09:06 AM) B...   Aug 29 2007, 10:00 PM
Shortcutsleeping   Thanks Andris. That makes total sense and count m...   Aug 28 2007, 02:44 PM
TrakCar   QUOTE (Shortcutsleeping @ Aug 28 2007, 08...   Aug 28 2007, 03:01 PM
00 Trans Ram   If I'm gonna be up there, might as well do it ...   Aug 31 2007, 12:26 AM
cccbock   QUOTE (00 Trans Ram @ Aug 30 2007, 07:26 ...   Sep 2 2007, 10:07 PM

« Next Oldest · NFME · Next Newest »

Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:09 PM