IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Unbalanced EngineeringBlaine Fabrication.comUMI PerformanceHotpart.comSolo Performance
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bad Day in Portland
2000Z-71
post Apr 23 2007, 08:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 314

This link was posted on our local SCCA forum. It looks like a really bad, really expensive day for quite a few people.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3197431&page=1

This post has been edited by 2000Z-71: Apr 23 2007, 08:34 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rmackintosh
post Apr 23 2007, 09:07 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 27

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Apr 23 2007, 10:03 PM
Post #3

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

Wow.

Without being there, it's hard to say what was caused by what circumstances, so I'll avoid that. I'm just glad that nobody was seriously injured on site.

+Quote Post
CMC #37
post Apr 24 2007, 02:22 AM
Post #4

CMCer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 194

Agree with Kevin, glad no-one was hurt. Bad day indeed! My wallet hurts looking at those pix!

+Quote Post
Absolut Speed
post Apr 24 2007, 05:25 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

No shortage of know-it-alls on that board. We've gotten complaints about our finishes being too tight, but our lots are cramped and we don't always have the fortune of having different lots for staging/timing/grid/paddock etc.

+Quote Post
poSSum
post Apr 24 2007, 05:38 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 892

Those pictures are painful to look at. I agree that it's good no one was hurt .... but there are still going to be devastated people. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

We also have trouble coming up with a "safe" stop box setup ... but it's being revisited ... especially since our opening event inadvertently had an extremely fast finish.

+Quote Post
Crazy Canuck
post Apr 24 2007, 05:44 PM
Post #7

North of the border

Member No.: 177

ouch indeed.
what worries me is:
he went to grab the brakes but got the clutch instead

Who will pay for the damages ?
I'm surprised they allowed 200 ft of fast running track before a left turn to the finish box w/ all the cars there... imho, that's a bad decision on the safety/course design crew.

glad no-one got seriously injured, though.

+Quote Post
CamaroFS34
post Apr 24 2007, 08:16 PM
Post #8

Green Terror

Member No.: 175

QUOTE (Eugenio_SS @ Apr 24 2007, 01:44 PM) *
I'm surprised they allowed 200 ft of fast running track before a left turn to the finish box w/ all the cars there...

Are you sure it wasn't 200ft after the finish lights, in the stop area?

+Quote Post
2000Z-71
post Apr 24 2007, 10:55 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 314

Read down through about page 3 of the thread. It's getting pretty heated with flaming and name calling. Unfortunate that it has degenerated into that.

+Quote Post
CMC #37
post Apr 25 2007, 12:08 AM
Post #10

CMCer

QUOTE (2000Z-71 @ Apr 24 2007, 05:55 PM) *
Read down through about page 3 of the thread. It's getting pretty heated with flaming and name calling. Unfortunate that it has degenerated into that.

I had to stop reading it - those guys need to give them selves a time out! As a racer I hope I know when it is time to stay in my trailer.......... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/rant.gif)

+Quote Post
slowTA
post Apr 25 2007, 02:56 AM
Post #11

Experienced Member

Member No.: 331

So how does everyone insure their autocrossers? I have mine insured as a recreation or pleasure vehicle with other than collision (theft, fire, vandalism) and no collision. I never asked about a 'competition' policy.

+Quote Post
Crazy Canuck
post Apr 25 2007, 03:14 AM
Post #12

North of the border

you can always claim you are a spectator and cars were parked there so you parked beside them.
I'm pretty sure it's a nightmare to go though... chances are insurance won't want to cover even if you were parked.
What happens if you are @ a drag strip and some guy does a burn out in parking lot and loses control and hits your car... you're @ a racing facility... even if you aren't racing.
One thing for sure... i always wounder the worse and never park my car in an area of potential risk.

+Quote Post
Crazy Canuck
post Apr 25 2007, 03:17 AM
Post #13

North of the border

QUOTE (CamaroFS34 @ Apr 24 2007, 04:16 PM) *
QUOTE (Eugenio_SS @ Apr 24 2007, 01:44 PM) *
I'm surprised they allowed 200 ft of fast running track before a left turn to the finish box w/ all the cars there...

Are you sure it wasn't 200ft after the finish lights, in the stop area?

The way i interprete this:
The finish section was a quick left into the finish cones. There was room at the time that you could really build up some speed while you ran the last 200 feet.

I see it as if there was ~200ft where you could build up speed before the quick left just before the finish line.
Then again... english is not my 1st, 2nd nor 3rd language.

+Quote Post
BigEnos
post Apr 25 2007, 01:54 PM
Post #14

Collo Rosso

Member No.: 839

QUOTE (2000Z-71 @ Apr 24 2007, 04:55 PM) *

It always does. Most of those people probably weren't even there. Just idle speculation and conclusions that are not only incorrect but will probably not even help anything. Gotta love Internet-enabled type-A personalities. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/bs.gif)

+Quote Post
Crazy Canuck
post Apr 25 2007, 02:20 PM
Post #15

North of the border

but seriously...
how can this happen ?

At the limit i can see it happen with his foot getting stuck behind the brake pedal or slipping between the brake + accelerator... how can one shoot the right foot all the way to the clutch ?

As for the rest of the thread... it's pretty pathetic (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Apr 25 2007, 02:28 PM
Post #16

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (Eugenio_SS @ Apr 25 2007, 10:20 AM) *
but seriously...
how can this happen ?

At the risk of getting into the things I wasn't going to get into. They said he drives an automatic C4 Corvette. I suspect he left foot brakes. His left foot would find the clutch instead of the brake if he went for the brake pedal expecting a normal "automatic" sized pedal, or the space he was used to having the brake pedal occupy. That's my hunch. Clear the timers, use left foot for brake, find clutch instead. Of course that involves a lot of speculation, but that's how I'd suspect it could happen.

+Quote Post
Crazy Canuck
post Apr 25 2007, 04:14 PM
Post #17

North of the border

i thought about that for a second... but why would anyone use the left foot to brake ?
I'm seriously glad no one got injured/killed.
I've seen a few Auto-X incidents, among which 2 rolled-over cars... one hit the cement barrier after losing control and lifted the front side of the car... ended up on roof... the other was a bad combination (human error) of a swift on stock suspension and Hoosier's not letting go while he was doing the slalom too fast and tried to keep on doing it... rim bytes on the asphalt and tip you go... i was several feet from the car... and the first to rescue the guy.
I'm sure the guys feels so bad as is... both the driver + owner. At least he doesn't have to cope w/ bodily harm to anyone on his shoulders.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Apr 25 2007, 05:53 PM
Post #18

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (Eugenio_SS @ Apr 25 2007, 12:14 PM) *
i thought about that for a second... but why would anyone use the left foot to brake ?

I know many autocrossers who left foot brake. And it's even more common (as far as I can tell) among guys driving automatic cars (which the Corvette was reported to be). Again, just speculation (that I wasn't getting into).

+Quote Post
patred
post Apr 25 2007, 06:01 PM
Post #19

Zero brand loyalty

Member No.: 145

QUOTE (Eugenio_SS @ Apr 25 2007, 12:14 PM) *

You can't tell me that someone on a roadrace-autocross forum has never heard the term "left-foot braking"? (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Pat

+Quote Post
CMC #37
post Apr 25 2007, 06:16 PM
Post #20

CMCer

I learned how to left foot brake driving my auto 4th gen TA. Much, much more fun! This is the way I drive all autos now, left foot brake only, right foot only gas. I picked up a lot of speed on the road courses once I incorporated that technique there, called "trail braking." Braking going into a turn with your foot on the gas, whoo hoo! You can't do this on all the turns, but a good many, and more than you think!

Sometimes after driving the auto when I go out on track with the CMC car and the T-56 I hit the brake instead of the clutch. I have never hit the clutch mistaking it for the brake though with my left foot. Different cars may have different positionings though that you are not used to, this is the reason I don't go nuts when driving someone else's car.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 06:52 AM