IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Unbalanced EngineeringHotpart.comUMI PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.comSolo Performance
> LS7 Swap Into '97 SS/LT1?
fast ken
post Sep 12 2020, 04:46 PM
Post #1

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 23,577

What are my biggest challenges in a LS7 crate engine swap including the dry sump system into my 1997 SS/LT1 4th Gen Camaro? I hate to give up on the LT1, however, it is the weakest link in my super fun HPDE car. The swap would include the dry-sump oil system and a/c (for driving to and from the Track!). Can it fit using the stock K-member and are their hood clearance issues with the SS hood? Or cold air intake options? Battery in the trunk and oil reservoir in its place? Do I have to abandon the ram air hood function? How do I accommodate the 58x reluctor wheel? Currently I am running the Torqhead 24x LS PCM Coil Conversion Kit. Does the extended snout for the oil pump on the front of the crank cause any clearance issues? Can I use my stock radiator and cooling fans? Can I use factory LS7 (5h Gen Camaro) exhaust manifolds or ??? Just installed a SPEC aluminum flywheel and clutch )-: and T56 was just rebuilt. So I would have the input shaft replaced on the tranny for the LS conversion. Probably want a new SPEC aluminum flywheel but with Z06 clutch and pressure plate? What throttle body would I need to use with my throttle cable or should I convert to drive by wire? Fuel pump upgrade?

And what accessory drive would I use? Would I need to replace my alternator? a/c comp? p/s pump? and with what units?

This has been my 20+ year drive to the track and drive it home car. Also this swap could relieve me of some mental engine reliability/stress issues. LS7....the stress reliever? (-:

So many questions... Any help would be appreciated!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Mastawyrm
post Oct 2 2020, 09:56 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 223,885

QUOTE (fast ken @ Sep 12 2020, 11:46 AM) *
What are my biggest challenges in a LS7 crate engine swap including the dry sump system into my 1997 SS/LT1 4th Gen Camaro? I hate to give up on the LT1, however, it is the weakest link in my super fun HPDE car. The swap would include the dry-sump oil system and a/c (for driving to and from the Track!). Can it fit using the stock K-member and are their hood clearance issues with the SS hood? Or cold air intake options? Battery in the trunk and oil reservoir in its place? Do I have to abandon the ram air hood function? How do I accommodate the 58x reluctor wheel? Currently I am running the Torqhead 24x LS PCM Coil Conversion Kit. Does the extended snout for the oil pump on the front of the crank cause any clearance issues? Can I use my stock radiator and cooling fans? Can I use factory LS7 (5h Gen Camaro) exhaust manifolds or ??? Just installed a SPEC aluminum flywheel and clutch )-: and T56 was just rebuilt. So I would have the input shaft replaced on the tranny for the LS conversion. Probably want a new SPEC aluminum flywheel but with Z06 clutch and pressure plate? What throttle body would I need to use with my throttle cable or should I convert to drive by wire? Fuel pump upgrade?

And what accessory drive would I use? Would I need to replace my alternator? a/c comp? p/s pump? and with what units?

This has been my 20+ year drive to the track and drive it home car. Also this swap could relieve me of some mental engine reliability/stress issues. LS7....the stress reliever? (-:

So many questions... Any help would be appreciated!

I can't speak to the dry sump complications but I put an LS1 in my 95 Camaro so I think I can answer quite a few of these. I bought a running 99 TA to make sure I had whatever parts I didn't anticipate.

K-member is nearly the same but engine mounts are different, the TA's kmember bolted right up to the chassis. You can use a 98+ fbody k-member as the simplest option, obviously fabrication and aftermarket are also options. The brake lines are different and I chose to keep the newer ones along with the newer ABS module, this required swapping the master cyl. The designs are the same but the fittings are different thread and the newer reservoir is taller and touched the hood. Simplest option was to swap the 95 reservoir on to the 99 master cyl.

Clutch is hydraulic fork on the LT1 and hydraulic throwout on the LS, pedal and master cyl are identical except for a tiny difference in piston length. I didn't notice this until everything was done and realized the clutch didn't fully disengage. I swapped the master here.

Heater core is basically the same so using the heater hoses from the TA worked fine.

Fuel is return on the LT1 and dead head on the LS1, I went ahead and swapped to the plastic tank and everything but there are also return style LS rails so you have options here.

Many of the electrical connections are the same connectors but the pins are all over the place in difference. Wiring was only slightly easier than full custom...

While they did move the battery from pass to driver side, newer cables are longer due to this so I had no issue keeping my original battery location.

Power steering looks identical but they spin opposite direction

I haven't gotten AC working yet because they are quite different even with same locations, I plan to pull all the TA's interior parts one day but those things are deep in the dash.

Exhaust lets you just treat the car as a 98+ fbody, it's not really different under there.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
fast ken   LS7 Swap Into '97 SS/LT1?   Sep 12 2020, 04:46 PM
SS2win   If you're doing the 24x conversion then you re...   Sep 13 2020, 11:24 PM
Mastawyrm   QUOTE (fast ken @ Sep 12 2020, 11:46 AM) ...   Oct 2 2020, 09:56 PM

« Next Oldest · General Discussion · Next Newest »

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:10 PM