IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Blaine Fabrication.comUMI PerformanceHotpart.comSolo PerformanceUnbalanced Engineering
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rebuildable 4th gen front hubs are here!!
00 SS
post Dec 15 2008, 09:23 PM
Post #1

Experienced Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 197

MJM Racing is proud to present the first rebuildable, adjustable and regreasable front hub for 4th gen F-bodies. As most of you know already, these have been a long time coming and have gone though several interations and lots of testing over the last two years. If you've ever autocrossed with 315 Hoosier's or Kumho's, you know why these were developed.

Pictures can be seen here:
http://www.mjmracing.shutterfly.com/

Highlights:

1. New forged and hardened 4340 steel spindle made by Mark Williams Enterprises to MJM Racing, LLC specifications
2. Timken tapered roller bearings
3. Factory ABS retained
4. Original exterior dimensions retained for a "bolt on" application with no other modifications required.
5. Adjustable for bearing play, regreasable and rebuildable.
6. Comes with new ARP studs

We will begin to take orders on 1-1-09.

We need to get at least 20 pairs in the initial order to get the best pricing on machine work and parts. Please post any questions as well as stating your interest so a list can be compiled.

The initial price will be $650 each plus a core. That price will apply to this first initial offering only and these are only offered to the people of this site at this time. The core charge will be $100 per hub if you do not have any old ones you can send. Frankly, cores are necessary and if that ends up being too low of a core charge to get people to send cores, it will go up. Please be considerate and at least knock the big chunks of rust, dirt and grease off before you send them. If you have already sent cores to help with development your names are recorded and you need not send any additional cores (unless you want to).

Our lawyer has prepared a document that must be signed by each interested party prior to any transaction. A copy will be emailed to all who state they are interested in purchase.

Please post all questions here or call me, my PM folder is already a bit full.

Mike Minear
Managing Member
MJM Racing, LLC
303-710-9297

This post has been edited by 00 SS: Dec 16 2008, 04:46 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Major_Lee_Slow
post Dec 16 2008, 07:01 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 876

That is a really nice product you have there, and I am very interested and I do plan on buying a set as soon as I sell a few more sets of Tire blankets.

+Quote Post
sgarnett
post Dec 16 2008, 07:12 PM
Post #3

Seeking round tuits

Member No.: 33

Wow, great stuff is coming out of the woodwork just as the finances have "augered in". (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/banghead.gif)

+Quote Post
00 SS
post Dec 16 2008, 08:08 PM
Post #4

Experienced Member

Launching a new product in this economy, particularly a moderately expensive one, is not ideal by any means. But, I can't control the economy and the product is ready, so I launched it. I couldn't see any benefit to anyone in waiting to launch for the economy to start looking up.

Besides, this is a product that will save you time and money in the long run.

Major Lee Slow, I'd like to get a set of tire blankets as well, but I'm in the same boat. Need to get some hubs sold first.

+Quote Post
BigEnos
post Dec 16 2008, 08:45 PM
Post #5

Collo Rosso

Member No.: 839

I don't think these are ESP legal so I'm out. Sounds like a cool product though. Maybe someday when I'm not autocrossing this car... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

+Quote Post
00 SS
post Dec 16 2008, 10:03 PM
Post #6

Experienced Member

I sent the following email to Doug Gill. We'll soon know if they are deemed legal or not. Although a protest over these would be extremely weenie as I think we can all agree that there is no performance advantage over new OE parts. Regardless of the response to my email, I will be running them on my car. I will be at the tour in Vail and possibly the one in New Mexico. Nationals is still a bit doubtful at this time for me. If Doug says illegal, you can protest if you wish.

Edit Copy of old letter removed.

This post has been edited by 00 SS: Dec 24 2008, 03:37 AM

+Quote Post
Major_Lee_Slow
post Dec 17 2008, 02:06 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 876

Mike that is a great letter, and it's a good idea to get the clarification. I was under the impression that the rule you quoted covered the replacement of the stock style hubs with your much improved hub. Hopefully Mr Gill sees it the same way.

+Quote Post
marka
post Dec 18 2008, 07:39 PM
Post #8

Experienced Member

Member No.: 896

Howdy,

QUOTE (BigEnos @ Dec 16 2008, 03:45 PM) *
I don't think these are ESP legal so I'm out. Sounds like a cool product though. Maybe someday when I'm not autocrossing this car... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

I disagree. They're a bolt in replacement wheel bearing that exactly match the stock dimensions/functions/etc. I think they're legal per stock class rules, which makes them legal in SP as well.

See page 61 / the start of section 13. Wheel bearings are explicitly called out as legal to change. I suppose you could debate "performance improvement", but I have a hard time seeing how you could argue that this wheel bearing adds performance to the car.

If these aren't legal, I don't think NAPA or whatever replacments are legal either. Its the exact same situation.

Mark

+Quote Post
BigEnos
post Dec 18 2008, 08:41 PM
Post #9

Collo Rosso

Member No.: 839

QUOTE (marka @ Dec 18 2008, 02:39 PM) *
Howdy,

QUOTE (BigEnos @ Dec 16 2008, 03:45 PM) *

I disagree. They're a bolt in replacement wheel bearing that exactly match the stock dimensions/functions/etc. I think they're legal per stock class rules, which makes them legal in SP as well.

See page 61 / the start of section 13. Wheel bearings are explicitly called out as legal to change. I suppose you could debate "performance improvement", but I have a hard time seeing how you could argue that this wheel bearing adds performance to the car.

If these aren't legal, I don't think NAPA or whatever replacments are legal either. Its the exact same situation.

Mark

Obviously a bad assumption on my part. I didn't look. After reading a few of these I must agree that they should be legal.

+Quote Post
Crazy Canuck
post Dec 18 2008, 08:51 PM
Post #10

North of the border

Group: Admin
Member No.: 177

I want a set... but because I'm in the middle of plenty of boxes (just moved and 100% travelling for work)... let me find some hubs in the boxes, so I can ship them to you... (since I changed my hubs not long ago) and let me know of your address so I can send you a check in US funds (I guess once you have the 20 ppl) and then go from there...
I don't think I'll be able to send you all the stuff before January for sure... and since my car is stored, if you don't mind waiting till end of Jan, I'll be the first one on the list.

+Quote Post
00 SS
post Dec 18 2008, 09:37 PM
Post #11

Experienced Member

Ok, we have a winner! Thank You Eugenio. For being first you will recieve free shipping (inside the continental US). I will select one other from 2-20 for free shipping by drawing a number out of a hat after all 20 slots are filled. But we will make more than 20 pair in the first order if the demand is there.

1. Eugenio SS
2. Mark T
3. Jeff Spector
4. J. Villarreal
5. Koserv
6. Chevy053
7. Jon A

This post has been edited by 00 SS: Feb 19 2009, 07:27 PM

+Quote Post
00 SS
post Dec 18 2008, 10:48 PM
Post #12

Experienced Member

I heard back from Brian Harmer at the SCCA. To make a long story short, he agrees this is a bit of a grey are and he can not give official interpretions, only the SEB can. We have a local he was recently appointed to the SEB, Ian Mannix. He is a very good guy and I believe he was on the SPAC prior to this. I will talk to him and show him what I've done prior to sending any letters to the SEB. I want to make sure they have no false impressions of what this is when they decide.

My opinion is the same as Mark A's, there is no reason these should not be deemed legal. They are no different in dimension or function than any other aftermarket hub available. Additionally, the current hubs you get at the dealer (AC Delco) are not exactly the same as OE hubs, they are the same as the Timken aftermarket hubs. So if mine are illegal, pretty much every hub in use today by F-body guys at SCCA events are also illegal, even if you got them from the dealer.

Therefore, I will continue to use my hubs in the ESP. I will NOT say they are 100% legal....yet. I will say that they have not been deemed illegal. Obviously, it's my opinion that they would withstand any protest, however weenie that protest would be. I will get an official ruling one way or another. I will write the SEB, but if they fail to define this for us, it may have to come via a protest.

EDIT: I spoke to Ian and will be sending him a draft of the letter tomorrow. After I spoke with him, he agrees they should be legal. Obviously, this is his personal opinion, he is only one member of the SEB, and does not make it official, yet. I'll post more when I hear more.

This post has been edited by 00 SS: Dec 21 2008, 05:42 AM

+Quote Post
00 SS
post Dec 24 2008, 03:45 AM
Post #13

Experienced Member

A new letter to the SEB was sent today. Hopefully, we will have an answer in a few weeks.

+Quote Post
Casey_SS
post Dec 24 2008, 05:13 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,746

As a product manager by trade, I applaud your efforts at filling a true gap in the marketplace and working directly with your customer base to make this happen. My stock hubs are still hanging on as I'm only running 275 Nittos but as soon as that changes, I'll be placing an order. Really glad to see these hit the market....thanks for all of your hard work!

+Quote Post
00 SS
post Dec 29 2008, 10:16 PM
Post #15

Experienced Member

Thanks Casey. I look forward to doing business with you. In my experience, stockers last about 1 season on the little 265 V710's, I bet 275 Nittos will be similar.

+Quote Post
00 SS
post Jan 7 2009, 04:14 PM
Post #16

Experienced Member

I understand a few of you guys may be waiting to see what the SEB decides about the legality of the hubs in Solo II competition in FS and ESP. But if you doing HPDE's, road racing or Solo II in SM or CP, what are you waiting for?

+Quote Post
01badz28
post Jan 7 2009, 04:29 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 109

QUOTE (00 SS @ Jan 7 2009, 11:14 AM) *
I understand a few of you guys may be waiting to see what the SEB decides about the legality of the hubs in Solo II competition in FS and ESP. But if you doing HPDE's, road racing or Solo II in SM or CP, what are you waiting for?

I'd love a set, but I've got all my money tied up getting the 6.2L motor in my car first. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/banghead.gif)

+Quote Post
marka
post Jan 8 2009, 04:23 PM
Post #18

Experienced Member

Member No.: 896

Howdy,

QUOTE (00 SS @ Jan 7 2009, 11:14 AM) *

I dunno why I didn't think of it sooner, but I just posted a link to this page to the CP list. Most of those guys don't hang out here.

Mark

+Quote Post
00 SS
post Jan 8 2009, 05:03 PM
Post #19

Experienced Member

Thanks Mark!

If your reading this and want to get on the pre order list, but don't want to join the forum to do so, please call me. 303-710-9297.

This post has been edited by 00 SS: Jan 8 2009, 05:17 PM

+Quote Post
Mojave
post Jan 8 2009, 09:18 PM
Post #20

I suck at the auto-x :(

Member No.: 727

QUOTE (00 SS @ Jan 7 2009, 10:14 AM) *

I applaud your efforts and would love a set for my C4, but funds are tight.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:29 AM